• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Consider new purchase of TS from Resale Market but...

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was researching Park City for the lower altitude. Never thought of Steamboat springs but see it’s a lower altitude too! I’m not crazy about the double distance
time for driving to get there though. Any tips on transportation to get there from Denver airport?
Re: Worldmark. How many points do I need to purchase to get a week at either Steamboat or Park City? What’s the going Resale price? I guess I’ll have to start reading the wmowners.com forum!

Fly into Hayden since it is only 25 miles to Steamboat.

At Park City: 2BR is 14,000 credits, 3BR is 16,000 credits, 4BR is 20,000 credits.
At Steamboat: 2BR Deluxe is 14,000 credits, 3BR Deluxe is 16,000 credits. 2BR & 3BR Penthouse and Presidential units range from 20,000 to 30,000 credits.

Resale price is about $0.30 per credit. i.e. 20,000 credits is about $6,000. If you are patient and good at negotiating, you can do slightly better.

In addition to wmowners, the Worldmark the Club Owners Group on Facebook is quite informative and active.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes, definitely fly into Hayden if you can. It is a long drive from Denver, and can be absolutely horrible if there is any weather issues. Also, if you are trying to travel on weekends, traffic can turn I-70 into a parking lot for miles through the mountains, if you happen to hit a peak time.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I mentioned that Worldmark Steamboat is not busy, I mean that you can still successfully book a two bedroom week during the prime ski months several days or sometimes weeks after the 13 month booking window opens up.
Considering it is only a couple of months before prime ski season, there is still quite a lot of availability in 2 bedroom units at WM Steamboat.

The 1 bedroom units are completely open for availability during the entire ski season, except for the holiday periods. A serious skier who is a WorldMark owner could easily book the entire month of March in a 1 bedroom.

It must be the longer drive from DIA versus Summit County ski resorts that culls the crowd and creates this kind of opportunity. After about the fourth or fifth time to Steamboat, the drive does not seem all that long.

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering it is only a couple of months before prime ski season, there is still quite a lot of availability in 2 bedroom units at WM Steamboat.

The 1 bedroom units are completely open for availability during the entire ski season, except for the holiday periods. A serious skier who is a WorldMark owner could easily book the entire month of March in a 1 bedroom.

It must be the longer drive from DIA versus Summit County ski resorts that culls the crowd and creates this kind of opportunity. After about the fourth or fifth time to Steamboat, the drive does not seem all that long.

Took TUG advice and researched Steamboat Springs. The ability to book a favorable week is very enticing but then I️ realized that the mountain is not part of the Epic Pass system! Any insights regarding lift tickets? Ideas as to maximize the use of any sort of season passes that are available? This year I️ bought the Epic Pass so I’ll likely go to resorts on the pass but would change my mindset for 2018/19 ski season if there’s another way to work out the maximum amount of use with the minimum amount of dollars spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another point to consider is the altitude which is the reason I️ started my search for another timeshare. I️ married a man who has difficulty with Breck’s altitude.

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do any the other locations have any wolrdmark resorts?

The major ski resorts where you can book at a Worldmark : Park City, Steamboat, Whistler and South Lake Tahoe

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
You and Co skier have mentioned Worldmark as a great addition to my future TS portfolio (it’s not a portfolio when you have one, right?). I am definitely going to research it. What has been your experience with the Worldmark in Park City?
T

I love WM Park City and have booked ski season every year since it came into WM. HOWEVER, you need to know that this is a small property (32 units) that was built by Raintree. WM only has 10 units there (Raintree has the rest) so you have to book right away at 13 months. They are 2, 3 and 4 bedroom. I consider it a bit nicer than the typical WM.
WM also has a property we like in Midway, UT. It's about a 20 minute drive to Park City. Midway is in a very beautiful setting and all of the units are two bedroom. Much easier to get into than Park City.

WM doesn't have a ton of ski resorts. They do have Steamboat and Lake Tahoe and Whistler.

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score

At Park City: 2BR is 14,000 credits, 3BR is 16,000 credits, 4BR is 20,000 credits.
At Steamboat: 2BR Deluxe is 14,000 credits, 3BR Deluxe is 16,000 credits. 2BR & 3BR Penthouse and Presidential units range from 20,000 to 30,000 credits.

Resale price is about $0.30 per credit. i.e. 20,000 credits is about $6,000. If you are patient and good at negotiating, you can do slightly better.

In addition to wmowners, the Worldmark the Club Owners Group on Facebook is quite informative and active.

How much are the MF for the number of points purchased?
With regards to purchasing resale, I see that there are anniversary dates with the points purchase. Are these dates important with regards with trying to get a high demand resort (park city) and planning a request 13 months in advance (ie, if I purchase resale, it’s best to find an anniversary month of Jan or feb to request March for the following year?)?

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love WM Park City and have booked ski season every year since it came into WM. HOWEVER, you need to know that this is a small property (32 units) that was built by Raintree. WM only has 10 units there (Raintree has the rest) so you have to book right away at 13 months. They are 2, 3 and 4 bedroom. I consider it a bit nicer than the typical WM.
WM also has a property we like in Midway, UT. It's about a 20 minute drive to Park City. Midway is in a very beautiful setting and all of the units are two bedroom. Much easier to get into than Park City.

WM doesn't have a ton of ski resorts. They do have Steamboat and Lake Tahoe and Whistler.

Tips on requesting during ski season at Park city? Smalle size better. Weeks that are easier etc? I’ll check out midway also. I like the idea of being close to the mountain but is the resort and setting is beautifully, it may be with the drive in. I’ll be looking for a rental maybe this year to see the place before buying.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no request process (except for a waitlist). You simply log into the WM website exactly at 9am and book the available 2/3/4 bedroom unit. In general, the larger units get reserved first. Weeks in Jan and April are generally easier to reserve than Feb or March.

If you are ok to drive to the resort, then Taos is a good choice as well. From the WM resort which is in downtown Taos, it takes about 25 min to drive to the Taos ski resort. Taos has the reputation for steep, advanced skiing. Its a hard core, throwback type of ski mountain without the glamour and upscale milieu of Vail and Park City.

The maintenance fee schedule is based on number of credits. From 18,000 – 20,000 credits, it is $1,387.48 per year. You can see the full schedule at the bottom of this link - http://surefirevacations.com/worldmark/faq

Ideally, you want to get an anniversary date a couple of months before the week that you want to reserve. Booking opens at 13 months before the reservation. If you are a skier and want to book in Jan, then the booking period opens in Dec. So, a November anniversary date would be best.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
To help Book a High Demand Week/Resort create your request the day before and save it. Then try to Log On starting at about 5:58am Pacific Time. Recall your saved request and start hitting Book it at 6:00am Pacific Time. Your Anniversary Date only affects your Booking in that is the Date new Points and Housekeeping Credits are deposited into your Account. Remember Points are good for about 25 Months and you can Book out 13 months.

About 40% of all Worldmark Bookings are cancelled. So learn to use the free Wait List. You can have up to 4 Wait Lists pending at any given moment.

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the original post I stated:
"To make matters worse, I once again fell for the sales pitch last Dec 2016 and purchased a Club VIP membership for $1295 which got me a 2br 3day/2 night stay in peak 8 this Dec (2017--already booked), a year renewal of my interval international membership, and an accommodation certificate (that does not expire) at interval international with a $450 credit in my account to pay for the cost to use the AC. With this they locked in the price of spring/fall smallest unit in either peak7/8 at 13.5K. I recently called and asked for what the locked-in price was and they said it was 21k (peak 8) but would offer it to me at 16k with MF of $700+. I had lost my notes but found it after they quoted me(13.5K), which once again reaffirmed the scamming nature of the business."

Well, I just returned for my 2 night stay at Grand Colorado at Peak 8. The property is not complete yet. But the feel is just like GTR except all the furnishings are modern. The staff is awesome. Did not check out the pool and spa areas due to my time limitation.

A few negatives for myself: The lifts closest to the resort are not for beginners. The one lift "5 chair" does go to a green run but the run is nowhere near as easy nor as wide as the green runs on Peak 9. And the mountain was crowded! I was on Peak 9 the exact same time period last year and it was not as crowded. Since I live in the South and most of my guests who would travel with me also live in the South, being by Peak 9 is my best option since they are often are new to skiing or snowboarding.

If anything, staying at Grand Colorado at Peak 8 reconfirmed my purchase at GTR. And if I were to purchase in Breck again it would most likely be near Peak 9 and in the resale market which I told the sales person. Interestingly, the salesperson stated that if there are any resales in GTR and their other properties, they always buy the property via ROFR and put it in their inventory to sell. So I was wondering if there are any tuggers out there that have bought from those properties (Gold Point, Grand Timber, Peak 7 and Grand Colorado at peak 8), have had any success in buying and selling privately (not from the developer).

This is no means any way that I am committing to buying in Breck for my next purchase. My son actually had pretty bad reaction to the altitude and passed out, hit his head and got stitches from the Emergency room. One of the front desk staff drove us to the hospital and then she personally sent us a bottle of wine, assorted nuts and chocolates. The staff is definitely 5 star.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if I were to purchase in Breck again it would most likely be near Peak 9 and in the resale market which I told the sales person. Interestingly, the salesperson stated that if there are any resales in GTR and their other properties, they always buy the property via ROFR and put it in their inventory to sell. So I was wondering if there are any tuggers out there that have bought from those properties (Gold Point, Grand Timber, Peak 7 and Grand Colorado at peak 8), have had any success in buying and selling privately (not from the developer).

I bought both Grand Timber Lodge and Grand Lodge on Peak 7 ski weeks from individuals via resale and can tell you that there is no ROFR at grand Timber Lodge and not sure about GL7 but I still ended up getting it for what I thought was a very good price. Haven’t stayed at Grand Timber since I’ve rented it out for the past 2 reservations but I did stay at GL7 last spring break and love it! So close to the lift and top notch amenities. PM me if you are interested in buying my 2BR Grand Timber ski week as I may be interested in selling it since I’m in the process of buying a ski week at Westin Riverfront in Beaver Creek.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
I would put in my vote for Sheraton Lakeside Terrace near Beaver Creek which is one of the best resorts on the Epic Pass.
I own at Lakeside and stay there every year. I've never had a problem booking the Feb-Mar weeks I want.
Currently there are winter units listed on redweek at 1450 for EOY and 2900 for annual.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would put in my vote for Sheraton Lakeside Terrace near Beaver Creek which is one of the best resorts on the Epic Pass.
I own at Lakeside and stay there every year. I've never had a problem booking the Feb-Mar weeks I want.
Currently there are winter units listed on redweek at 1450 for EOY and 2900 for annual.

I’ve stayed at the Sheraton Mountain Vista which is pretty much next to Lakeside Terrace and they use the same check in area. Decent place especially being able to book SMV using Cat 5 hotel starpoints using 5th night free. Only drawback is they are not ski-in/out like Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and Grand Timber Lodge although not as easy or close to slopes like GL7. Love skiing both resorts; Beaver Creek is nice but if I had to choose one it would be Breckenridge which is more laid back and more restaurant options that are close.

smtundra

Reaction score
I own several weeks at Grand Timber Lodge. I just recently bought another one off Ebay. I like that they have their own shuttle instead of a shared shuttle. Also, it is closer to town and if it's not bitter cold, you can walk there. I also like that it is secluded and not directly on the slopes. I've not had a problem with ROFR.

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought both Grand Timber Lodge and Grand Lodge on Peak 7 ski weeks from individuals via resale and can tell you that there is no ROFR at grand Timber Lodge and not sure about GL7 but I still ended up getting it for what I thought was a very good price. Haven’t stayed at Grand Timber since I’ve rented it out for the past 2 reservations but I did stay at GL7 last spring break and love it! So close to the lift and top notch amenities. PM me if you are interested in buying my 2BR Grand Timber ski week as I may be interested in selling it since I’m in the process of buying a ski week at Westin Riverfront in Beaver Creek.

Thanks for your sharing of your experience. Once again, an example of a salesperson lying in order to make a sale. *sigh* If I am interested in purchasing another grand timber again, I will contact you. I am researching other ski areas first. Thanks!

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve stayed at the Sheraton Mountain Vista which is pretty much next to Lakeside Terrace and they use the same check in area. Decent place especially being able to book SMV using Cat 5 hotel starpoints using 5th night free. Only drawback is they are not ski-in/out like Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and Grand Timber Lodge although not as easy or close to slopes like GL7. Love skiing both resorts; Beaver Creek is nice but if I had to choose one it would be Breckenridge which is more laid back and more restaurant options that are close.

Haven't skied Beaver Creak yet. I am kind of timid about driving/shuttling further away from Denver International Airport. I have to always fly in and less time on the road means more time enjoying my vacation. I love the vibe of Breck, it seems very similar to New Orleans where I am from. Thanks for your your advice and insight!

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own several weeks at Grand Timber Lodge. I just recently bought another one off Ebay. I like that they have their own shuttle instead of a shared shuttle. Also, it is closer to town and if it's not bitter cold, you can walk there. I also like that it is secluded and not directly on the slopes. I've not had a problem with ROFR.

Curious if you would share your experience with purchasing Grand Timber Lodge from eBay and the price you paid. Just for comparison reason. You can PM me. But if not, no biggie! I like Grand Timber Lodge for the same reasons!

SuperG

Reaction score
Curious if you would share your experience with purchasing Grand Timber Lodge from eBay and the price you paid. Just for comparison reason. You can PM me. But if not, no biggie! I like Grand Timber Lodge for the same reasons!
Do you know if the day use benefit transfers or how it can transfer. I'm in Denver area and that is apparently a very big benefit with both GL7 and GTL.

Thanks!

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
To answer the OP condensed question - I had the same Q as you when I stated buying resale TS. What is a good trader I can buy in order to reasonably exchange into property XXX through II.

At that time, I WISH I had heeded the words of the people who said: Buy where you want to stay. Would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Just keep this in mind - a "good trader" 10 years ago might not be an optimal trader today. Not because it's a bad property, but because so much has changed with II in the past ten years, and it's certain to change again. If you buy where you want to stay, you will ALWAYS be able to go there, on your terms. Reserving a week where you want to stay is no different now than it was ten years ago or ten years from now.

If you can't afford to buy where you want to stay, consider renting.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't skied Beaver Creak yet. I am kind of timid about driving/shuttling further away from Denver International Airport. I have to always fly in and less time on the road means more time enjoying my vacation. I love the vibe of Breck, it seems very similar to New Orleans where I am from. Thanks for your your advice and insight!

Of all the mountains in the Vail/Beaver Creek/Breck/Winter Park area, I like Breck the most. Both for the active mining town main street feel as well as the terrain variety and challenge on the mountain. Many people see Breck's wide blue slopes and think of the ski resort as ideal for beginners and intermediates. That is true but Breck also has the most challenging terrain when compared to the other Epic resorts such as Beaver Creek and Vail.

Beaver Creek is very upscale and nice but the terrain variety is not great. That said, you may love it because their customer service is excellent and many people ski/board at a terminal upper intermediate level. Regardless, visit Vail, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, and other resorts before you buy another timeshare.

From my perspective, Alta is the best ski resort in Utah and Breck is the best in Colorado. "best" = combination of terrain difficulty, snow quality, value, and feel. Check them all out and decide for yourself. Remember - buy resale!