• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Consolidated Wyndham Points Spreadsheet

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
He's a Sheldon.
I think so too. Lots of data and lots of math. But not of any practical use.

I built the spreadsheet to be able to easily tell how much a a year in one resort compares to one year in another resort in terms of Wyndham points and how much this varies across the whole Wyndham club. My goal is to figure out how to use this information to determine the relative value of points in different systems (HICV for me, but if we collectively come up with an algorithm, it would be extensible across other systems).

The other approach is just to use bulk rental costs (if Wyndham bulk rental points costs 80% of HICV bulk rental points, then Wyndham points are 80% less valuable than HICV points).

Determining bulk point rental rates allows you to determine the owner cost of a specific reservation (based on points for the stay), which can be used for personal or rental purposes to decide whether a given reservation is worth making as an owner in one system vs. another or whether hotels or whether paying cash is better.

I do the same thing with hotel points - I have 100K IHG poiints, but I often use Priceline instead of the IHG points because Priceline is a better deal for a given property. With hotel points it's easier because there are no ownership complexities and the systems regularly sell bulk points at a consistent discounted rate. Some people treat points like free money, but every point I own in every program has a value and an opportunity cost if you waste it on a high point low value reservation.

-Scott

I understand the numbers, you lose me with your explanations.

I can tell you the bulk rental rates for Wyndham (at least I can tell you what the rate was) and it has nothing to do with the information in your chart.

There was an outfit that did bulk point rentals. He was a middle man. He rented Wyndham points from folks like me that owned more than what we were using and he sold “memberships” of various sizes that entitled the his members to make reservations

He paid his “landlords” (points owners) $6/1000 points and he charged his members a membership fee and $6/ 1000 points used

So he paid my maintenance fees plus a little and his members got nearly all their reservations at a 50% discount. He also made spec reservations in my accounts and rented them at market prices

Fair price for me was maintenance fees plus a little 0r $6/1000. And fair price for his members was $6/1000 as long as they got reservations at half price. And he kept the membership fee

As far as his rental customers went; fair price was market price

Here’s the thing, we didn’t need your spreadsheets to make our pricing decisions

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think so too. Lots of data and lots of math. But not of any practical use.

I understand the numbers, you lose me with your explanations.

I can tell you the bulk rental rates for Wyndham (at least I can tell you what the rate was) and it has nothing to do with the information in your chart.

There was an outfit that did bulk point rentals. He was a middle man. He rented Wyndham points from folks like me that owned more than what we were using and he sold “memberships” of various sizes that entitled the his members to make reservations

He paid his “landlords” (points owners) $6/1000 points and he charged his members a membership fee and $6/ 1000 points used

So he paid my maintenance fees plus a little and his members got nearly all their reservations at a 50% discount. He also made spec reservations in my accounts and rented them at market prices

Fair price for me was maintenance fees plus a little 0r $6/1000. And fair price for his members was $6/1000 as long as they got reservations at half price. And he kept the membership fee

As far as his rental customers went; fair price was market price

Here’s the thing, we didn’t need your spreadsheets to make our pricing decisions

$6/1K seems to be the going rate for Wndham and $8 seems to be the going rate for HICV. That put's Wyndham point values at about 75% of HICV point values, which is the initial number I came up with in the spreadsheet :)

As an HICV owner, I don't buy units with maintenance above $6 - this means as a prospective Wyndham owner, I shouldn't buy units with maintenance above $4.50 (excluding program fee).

If you don't use the club guide, you wouldn't use the spreadsheet. I find myself regularly looking up point values in club guides, and so a 500-line spreadsheet is faster than a 300 page book.

Using the $6 guidance, I can pull up the 1BR units in HI and see that the median prime week is 231K points - 4 nights during the week is about 48% of that, or about 111K points, which comes to a guest rate of $765 - that's useful information to me. 2BR is 156K points and $1035 cost.

-Scott

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve given up on this thread. Some people cannot seem to accept there is no grand unified field theory for Timeshare point system valuation that holds up for all weeks at all resorts.

But keep churning out spreadsheets.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve given up on this thread. Some people cannot seem to accept there is no grand unified field theory for Timeshare point system valuation that holds up for all weeks at all resorts.

But keep churning out spreadsheets.
Agreed. No individual system is 100% consistent across all resorts and weeks - such a system would have separate point values for every unit for every night of the year. My thought is that the average across systems could possibly be compared in a useful way that would be just as accurate as trying to compare resorts within a system.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finished adding weekend point values - the unit with the highest weekend point cost is the Studio at Branson at the Falls, where weekend nights are 24.2% of a week vs. an average of 20.6% across all resorts. Highest weekend point value for a specific season in a specific unit is Shawnee Village where Quiet in a 2BR-D and High in a 1BR each run 26.2%.

I also labeled all of the Presidential units as Pres 2BR instead of 2BR-P so that you can more easily view statistics just for Presidential units. The average of the cheapest 2BR unit at each resort is 9.2M annual points vs. the average of the cheapest Pres 2BR unit at each resort is 18.3M annual points.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Updated file to include regions in each state and links to the maps the regions are based on.

-Scott

Last edited:

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I added the Wyndham and HICV resorts from the attached RCI points guide to the RCI tabs of the Wyndham and HICV consolidated points spreadsheets.

https://www.rci.com/static/docs/en_US/points-grid.pdf

I then added the annual RCI point totals next to the annual Wyndham and HICV point totals and compared the totals against all units that had RCI point values and just the cheapest 2BR unit from each resort that I was using previously (there was only a 3% difference - the numbers below are just the 2BRs, which work out slightly better for Wyndham).

Here are the results:

RCI: Wyndham = 1:3.34
RCI: HICV = 1:2.37

which makes

Wyndham:HICV = 3.34:2.37 = 1:0.71

Prior to finding this RCI Rosetta stone, I used median 2BR points values in Florida to determine that the median Florida properties were Orange Lake for HICV (7.2M) and Bonnet Creek/Sea Garden for Wyndham (9.1M) and was trying to determine whether the points difference was due to HICV points being more valuable than Wyndham points or the median Wyndham resort being valued higher than the median HICV resort. The annual RCI point values for these properties are 3.6M for HICV and 3.15M for Wyndham, which suggests that the HICV points are worth even more than Wyndham points than my initial analysis showed due to the median HICV resort being valued higher than the median Wyndham resort. That makes the scaled Wyndham point values for these properties 10.4M, and the ratio 1:0.69, which is very close to the program-wide numbers above.

This is extensible to other programs that have RCI point values in the chart above if anyone is interested in putting them into a spreadsheet.

I only buy HICV points units with maintenance in the $5-$6 - this makes the comparable range of Wyndham units $3.55-$4.26, which are pretty tough to find.

-Scott

mark61360

Reaction score
Scott

Do you have a spreadsheet that shows the dollar value of points, at each of the major time share companies?

Mark

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qg7jd4yPldw-HPWaPkVk1E68KsETwoIuyBFnJPulkgw/edit?usp=sharing

I took the annual points for the cheapest 2BR at each resort to come up with a median 2BR cost of 8.2M points (158K/week).

My interest was in comparing Wyndham point costs with HICV points costs - this compares to 6.1M (117K/week) for HICV.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HB00pcN4u116afQyKAG1iumSddSaSTmC8rf5OoeN9Yc/edit?usp=sharing

This 25% point difference matches what I saw looking at a small sample of resorts that overlap between HICV and Wyndham - what it doesn't answer is whether the median Wyndham 2BR is 25% nicer/better locations than the median 2BR HICV or whether the Wyndham points are 25% less valuable than HICV points.

If someone has experience with both clubs, it would be great to get some feedback on the quality/value of some Wyndham resorts in the 8.2M range vs. some HICV resorts in the 6.1M range. If the Wyndham units in this range are higher end units, then Wyndham overall resorts are likely just higher end. If the units are comparable, then Wyndham points are likely less valuable than HICV points.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Google+ Group