• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Convinced to go from CWA to grand dessert deed

Joser

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we went to an owner update on Saturday. I was Convinced that it was best to buy 105,000 more points and go with a deeded ownership at grand dessert from owning 105,000 cwa. They scared us with the talk about hurricanes and volcanoes and assessments and how much our fees are going up etc... I started reading this forum and and now ready to send my rescind letter. Is that the right thing to do? My wife fell for it the first time and now they got me. I feel so dumb. Wish I had found this forum 2 years ago.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you have enough doubts that you have to ask the question, ...rescind, do your homework and decide for yourself what the right thing to do, is.. If you decide that you should do the deeded ownership there will always be a salesman to take your momey

I doubt that that will be your decision

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
That seems to be the latest sales offering for power in owning deeds at Clearwater or Grand Desert to have exchange power through ownership. Since I don't usually exchange using power it doesn't affect me as I do only own deeds and thankfully never sold out to CWA .

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Rescind, then consider buying a 105K CWA contract on EBay for 'next to nothing'. If you want/need more points, get them at a much lower upfront cost. The savings on the front end will more than cover the MF cost of CWA over Grand Desert FOR YEARS. CWA is a good product if you routinely plan 10 to 13 months in advance.

If you want a lot more points, make your next purchase count and go for Gold VIP. Read this post after you rescind to learn more about PIC Plus.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/minimum-purchase-to-enroll-a-pic.275341/

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
That seems to be the latest sales offering for power in owning deeds at Clearwater or Grand Desert to have exchange power through ownership. Since I don't usually exchange using power it doesn't affect me as I do only own deeds and thankfully never sold out to CWA .

There is no "exchange power." There is ARP, dependent on where you're deeded or CWA, and then the MFs will vary depending on where you own.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Rescind now for a couple reasons. First, there are no hurricanes and Volcanos in the desert, so you don’t have to worry about that. Anything that is affected by those will not affect your maintenance fees. The only maintenance fees that will be affect are the resorts directly impacted by those natural disasters AND CWA if it’s a participating CWA resort. CWA has a blended fee so the increase will be smaller then if you Owner with the resort directly. Either way, Grand Desert will not see problems with hurricanes and volcanos.

Second, CWA is more expensive then grand desert for maintenance fees. If you look at your contract, it tells you what your maintenance fees are. In mine for National Harbor, it Shows the fee but doesn’t include the .58 cents per 1k program fee. The CWA contract may be different. The going rate for CWA maintenance fees is 5.77 per 1,000 points. So a 105,000 point contract will cost you $605.85 a year or 50.48 cents month in maintenance fees. Compare that to Grand desert. The price difference may seem small on a points package that small, but it’s there and adds up in the long run.

Third, you should always trust your gut. Rescind now and do your research. Once you’ve decided what is right for you, buy from corporate and utilize the PIC program. As stated above, there is a more detailed explanation of the PIC
Program, but In a nut, you buy a non-Wyndham fixed week on eBay for dirt cheap and use that for points in the PIC Plus program. My four bedroom cost me $28. A three bedroom (or more) will fetch you 254,000 points. The minimum contract you have to buy is 49,000 points ($12,900) if you buy through CORPORATE. Total points 303,000. So more points for less. In some cases you can buy a 64,000 point contract for $12,900 but it depends on what you buy and how you negotiate. Always buy from corporate. The resorts grossly overcharge.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we went to an owner update on Saturday. I was Convinced that it was best to buy 105,000 more points and go with a deeded ownership at grand dessert from owning 105,000 cwa. They scared us with the talk about hurricanes and volcanoes and assessments and how much our fees are going up etc... I started reading this forum and and now ready to send my rescind letter. Is that the right thing to do? My wife fell for it the first time and now they got me. I feel so dumb. Wish I had found this forum 2 years ago.

Did they indicate which CWA resorts might/would be affected by assessments and/or increase in MF due to the hurricanes and volcanoes? "Is that the right thing to do?" That maybe a function of it is true or not if you are referring to increases in assessments/MFs. If you are referring to rescinding the contract, that is a decision you will have to decide.

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
One other note. You only have a certain amount of time to rescind. It depends on the state. It could be three days. It could be 15 days. Check the contract.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now for a couple reasons. First, there are no hurricanes and Volcanos in the desert, so you don’t have to worry about that. Anything that is affected by those will not affect your maintenance fees. The only maintenance fees that will be affect are the resorts directly impacted by those natural disasters AND CWA if it’s a participating CWA resort. CWA has a blended fee so the increase will be smaller then if you Owner with the resort directly. Either way, Grand Desert will not see problems with hurricanes and volcanos.

Second, CWA is more expensive then grand desert for maintenance fees. If you look at your contract, it tells you what your maintenance fees are. In mine for National Harbor, it Shows the fee but doesn’t include the .58 cents per 1k program fee. The CWA contract may be different. The going rate for CWA maintenance fees is 5.77 per 1,000 points. So a 105,000 point contract will cost you $605.85 a year or 50.48 cents month in maintenance fees. Compare that to Grand desert. The price difference may seem small on a points package that small, but it’s there and adds up in the long run.

Third, you should always trust your gut. Rescind now and do your research. Once you’ve decided what is right for you, buy from corporate and utilize the PIC program. As stated above, there is a more detailed explanation of the PIC
Program, but In a nut, you buy a non-Wyndham fixed week on eBay for dirt cheap and use that for points in the PIC Plus program. My four bedroom cost me $28. A three bedroom (or more) will fetch you 254,000 points. The minimum contract you have to buy is 49,000 points ($12,900) if you buy through CORPORATE. Total points 303,000. So more points for less. In some cases you can buy a 64,000 point contract for $12,900 but it depends on what you buy and how you negotiate. Always buy from corporate. The resorts grossly overcharge.

The pitch was to go from CWA to grand desert, not the other way around

There are hurricanes that can affect some CWA resorts and CWA fees are higher than grand desert so the pitch makes some sense. However the up front cost of the deal will negate any maintenance fee advantages and the beauty of CWA is that any special assessments that may happen at one resort will be diluted in CWA to the point of being almost unnoticed

Everyone should realize that if you own CWA the pitch will be to switch to a deeded Ownership and if you show up with a deed they will convince you CWA is better. And in either case you will want to buy more

Joser

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There are hurricanes that can affect some CWA resorts and CWA fees are higher than grand desert so the pitch makes some sense. However the up front cost of the deal will negate any maintenance fee advantages and the beauty of CWA is that any special assessments that may happen at one resort will be diluted in CWA to the point of being almost unnoticed

Everyone should realize that if you own CWA the pitch will be to switch to a deeded Ownership and if you show up with a deed they will convince you CWA is better. And in either case you will want to buy more

Yes. That's what they pitched to me. I was already paid in full and up to date with my fees. They gave me another 105,000 for a total of 210,000 deeded at grand dessert for about 24,000 dollars. So now my maintenance fees went up anyways and would pay 230 a month for the loan. My wife is sending in the certified letter this morning. We wrote it up last night. Thanks for all your guys help.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

My mistake. I misread that. Grand desert has been reported to be $4.60 without the program fee in the 2018 maintenance fee sticky thread. Did I miss something?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow. Congrats on dodging that bullet. You did the right thing.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My mistake. I misread that. Grand desert has been reported to be $4.60 without the program fee in the 2018 maintenance fee sticky thread. Did I miss something?

That's correct 2018 MF rate for Tower/Building 2 contract.

The 2018 Tower 3 MF rate is $4.66 / thousand points before the $0.58 Program fee for members with Plus Partners on their account.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Wow. Congrats on dodging that bullet. You did the right thing.

Maybe not just yet.

I had a friend that bought & rescinded a Grand Desert contract around Christmas time a few years back. Their rescission period stated 3 or 4 days without regard to weekends or holidays.

They had great difficulty sending their rescission letter because the US post office & Fedex was closed for several days around the actual vs the recognized holidays.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Question: What is the date of the contract? Where (what state) was the contract signed? Is there a stated rescission period on the contract???

Joser

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question: What is the date of the contract? Where (what state) was the contract signed? Is there a stated rescission period on the contract???

It was Saturday. It says 5 calendar days till midnight. From what I've read on this forum the certified letter with today's date should be good to go. I have till Thursday 11:59 technically.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks....I'd definitely rescind (certified, return receipt etc..) and regroup.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. That's what they pitched to me. I was already paid in full and up to date with my fees. They gave me another 105,000 for a total of 210,000 deeded at grand dessert for about 24,000 dollars. So now my maintenance fees went up anyways and would pay 230 a month for the loan. My wife is sending in the certified letter this morning. We wrote it up last night. Thanks for all your guys help.

your maintenance fee rate went down....the total dollars you would have spent went up, because you doubled the number of points.... not to mention the loan payments

Joser

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
your maintenance fee rate went down....the total dollars you would have spent went up, because you doubled the number of points.... not to mention the loan payments

Yeah. I see that now. Thanks. But the way they present it makes it seem like a no brainer to switch and like some of the other replies on here say, if you had a deed at a specific place they would tell you how you're losing out on not having CWA and vice versa. I got sold and immediately regretted it. Hopefully it goes through then I'll do more research on this forum.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I see that now. Thanks. But the way they present it makes it seem like a no brainer to switch and like some of the other replies on here say, if you had a deed at a specific place they would tell you how you're losing out on not having CWA and vice versa. I got sold and immediately regretted it. Hopefully it goes through then I'll do more research on this forum.
If you got the letter postmarked in time, it will go through

There’s a lot not to like about Wyndham but the group that processes rescissions is not one of them. They have one job and that is to process rescissions and they do it well

Joser

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks
If you got the letter postmarked in time, it will go through

There’s a lot not to like about Wyndham but the group that processes rescissions is not one of them. They have one job and that is to process rescissions and they do it well

Thanks. My wife sent it yesterday, cerified with receive receipt. I'll update you guys when it goes through. Thank you all for all your help.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Grand Dessert? I hope it was tasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe not just yet.

I had a friend that bought & rescinded a Grand Desert contract around Christmas time a few years back. Their rescission period stated 3 or 4 days without regard to weekends or holidays.

They had great difficulty sending their rescission letter because the US post office & Fedex was closed for several days around the actual vs the recognized holidays.

A legal contract is becomes valid the second it's placed in the mailbox, regardless if the post office is opened or closed. It will get post marked the next day the post office processes mail. It's called the mailbox rule and every first year law student could tell you a little something about it. I am sure rescissions become valid similarly when placed in the box. I wouldn't let it being a Sunday, or Labor Day stop me from putting it in the mail. Take a cell phone video of you putting it in the box. I highly doubt it's worth Wyndham time to fight you in a situation that you describe.

Btw, my post office has an automated postal center available for mailing (and post markimg) 24/7/365

BibbityBoppity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairfield Mountains
Makai Club
This is my new favorite I keep hearing about and they got one of my owners a couple of weeks ago to move from CWA to single deed @154 full retail. “The volcanoes are gonna drive up assessments and the hurricanes in the Caribbean are gonna destroy you in maintenance fees.”

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
This is my new favorite I keep hearing about and they got one of my owners a couple of weeks ago to move from CWA to single deed @154 full retail. “The volcanoes are gonna drive up assessments and the hurricanes in the Caribbean are gonna destroy you in maintenance fees.”

The volcanos cracked me up too. That’s the first time I’ve heard them use Volcanos, but I am not surprised given recent events. I heave not heard them use forest fires yet. Or tsunamis.