• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco.com

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
I purchased a computer on Costco.com and it arrived this last Saturday. Of course it went on sale Monday for $150 off. Rather than take it back to Costco I went to the returns desk and asked if an adjustment could be made without me having to bring the computer back and repurchase it. It seems you can’t take back purchases made on Costco.com to the store. The employee told me to call Costco.com and gave me the phone number. I called and the employee told me to go online to the Costco.com site and there is a link for price adjustment. Filled out 4 or five lines of information and that was it. Price adjustments can be made within 30 days. Very easy transaction and the refund will show up within 5 days.
So, if you buy something on Costco.com, keep checking for a lower price and the difference will be refunded if you are in the 30 day window.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think you were given slightly misleading information. Items purchased on Costco.com definitely CAN be returned at the warehouse. They will even refund the shipping costs on the item. In this case, maybe they meant that a price adjustment can't be done in the warehouse for items purchased online. I'll ask my spouse about that policy. (Spouse has been a Senior Refund Cashier with Costco for more than 25 years.)

Either way, glad you got your price adjustment refund. Costco rocks! ;)

Dave

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Dave, I specifically asked if I could bring the computer back to the warehouse for a refund and then repurchase and was told no. I hadn’t taken it out of the box yet so no hassle. Either way, I am happy with the results and the ease of the adjustment.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We just bought one of those modular sofas a couple of weeks ago (stop-gap until I order my custom sectional - some day, lol). I was excited to see that the price dropped $200 and went in yesterday to get the credit on my card. That was nice.

I also recently bought a refrigerator from them. It was delivered - to my garage - but it couldn't be installed due to a plumbing issue. Since my freezer on the old unit wasn't working I wasn't happy about this, as I wanted them to just install the unit in the house but not hook up the water. I had a plumber come in the same day to rectify the plumbing issue, but the delivery company couldn't return for another week to bring the new unit into the house! In the mean time, I realized that the color was different than I expected (note: Slate is not the same as Black Stainless) and I was so ticked off about the installation delay that I googled my freezer issue to see if it could be fixed (it's 13 years old) and duh, once I vacuumed the coils it started working again. I utilized the online chat with Costco and asked if I could return the unit, they said yes, and picked it up yesterday. All is well. And now I know that the new refrigerators are deeper than my old one so that I will need to purchase a counter depth unit ($$$$) and that GE Slate is not the same as Black Stainless, so when the unit dies for good, I will be prepared.

There isn't a better retailer out there than Costco when it comes to customer service.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, I specifically asked if I could bring the computer back to the warehouse for a refund and then repurchase and was told no. I hadn’t taken it out of the box yet so no hassle. Either way, I am happy with the results and the ease of the adjustment.

Ok. I still think something is haywire with what you were told. You can't buy an item in the warehouse at the online price, (the skew numbers are different between online and in the warehouse), so maybe returning it just to repurchase it locally wasn't an option. But to just return it for a refund, then go back online and buy it again at the lower price? Definitely something you could do, (but what a hassle for you to have to do that.) It's good to know price adjustments for online purchases can be "self helped."

Going forward, after that 30-day price adjustment period, if you're still within the 90-day return period and the price drops again, I'd say definitely return it for a refund, and buy it again. You shouldn't have to pay more for something just because an arbitrary date has expired. :)

Thanks for the info about price adjustments online. :thumbup:

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I just bought one of the All-in-one computers that went on sale for $150 off.

It's fantastic.

If you need a new ($650) cheap computer....this one certainly is a fine unit. (hp 24 all-in-in with gen9 I5 pentium)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just bought one of the All-in-one computers that went on sale for $150 off.

It's fantastic.

If you need a new ($650) cheap computer....this one certainly is a fine unit. (hp 24 all-in-in with gen9 I5 pentium)

That's a killer price!

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Commander In Chief have ordered online and returned two (2) laptops to our local Costco warehouse store and she have never been denied. Credit was given to our charge card account right on the spot no problems.

I have seen a couple returned a dirty, stains set of mattresses that was over ten (10) years old.
The couple had their original paper work that guaranteed the mattresses set for x number of years. The Costco person gave them some type of store credit.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have seen a couple returned a dirty, stains set of mattresses that was over ten (10) years old.
The couple had their original paper work that guaranteed the mattresses set for x number of years. The Costco person gave them some type of store credit.

That's nasty. It's one thing when the item is new in the box, or if it breaks within a reasonable time frame, but returning a ten year old mattress is just gross. :eek:

Dave

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That's nasty. It's one thing when the item is new in the box, or if it breaks within a reasonable time frame, but returning a ten year old mattress is just gross. :eek:

Dave

Not only gross, but doesn’t Costco track how many and the timing of customers returns? I’ve heard rumors over the years those with excessive returns may be denied membership renewal...is that true, oh Costco Guru?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Not only gross, but doesn’t Costco track how many and the timing of customers returns? I’ve heard rumors over the years those with excessive returns may be denied membership renewal...is that true, oh Costco Guru?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure about Costco, but i know Amazon will block you if they think your abusing the system. Had that happen to a co-worker...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When we were getting ready to move to Florida, we got the flyer in the mail with the upcoming Costco sales. They had a hand truck that was going to be going on sale for $20 off (reg. $100). THe problem was that the sale wasn't going to start until the day we were physically moving. I needed the cart before that. So I went ahead and bought it at the $100 and used it for a couple weeks. Then the day we we were moving I made a quick stop at the same Costco and got the price adjusted. Easy peasy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

The short answer is Yes. The longer answer is that there are too many people, and too many refunds, for them to keep up with everyone in the moment. The clerk who handles the refund is given HUGE leeway on whether to accept the item. In most cases, they'll take back the item without blinking. If it's something like a ten year old mattress, it's going to take a bit more research into it.

The reason they scan your membership card at the Refund Desk is so they can pull up your shopping history. They can see the item you're returning, when you bought it, (IF you bought it), what you paid for it, any adjustments to that price, and then (very important!) any NOTES on your account. If you are a habitual refunder, not for one-off items, but repeated returns on the same thing, or abusive toward the generous refund policy, or just a pain in the rear problem member, there will likely be notes in the account that alert the refund clerk to beware. If things are severe or abusive enough, the clerk may call for a Manager to come to the desk and review things for them. If the Manager signs off on it, the refund goes ahead. If the Manager agrees this is a refund that shouldn't happen, the Manager tells the member why the refund won't be allowed.

The Refund Clerk will then make notes about that situation on the account, in case the (disgruntled) member tries to return the item at another warehouse. It happens all the time. In those cases of members who flat out abuse the refund system, and it happens often enough, or for a reason that the membership isn't worth maintaining, the member may have their membership cancelled, or not allowed for renewal. But those cases are pretty rare.

Most members at Costco are honorable, cooperative folks who appreciate the value they get for their dollars spent. It's the abusers, those "too smart for their own good" types, and outright cheats who are usually caught, and receive appropriate results.

Bottom line: Use your common sense, and don't be a jerk. Abusive returns affect the entire membership community. If you have a ten year old mattress, don't return it and act all innocent like it's no big deal. You KNOW what you're doing. And you should be ashamed of yourself. :)

Dave

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Shh, here is my secret. Please keep it on the down low.

If I buy something from Costco, say six months ago, and it goes on sale for a significant savings, I will buy it again at the lower price and immediately return it unopened using the first receipt. Price adjustment complete.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Shh, here is my secret. Please keep it on the down low.

If I buy something from Costco, say six months ago, and it goes on sale for a significant savings, I will buy it again at the lower price and immediately return it unopened using the first receipt. Price adjustment complete.

Sorry, that is not even a poorly-kept secret. Lots of people do that. The Refund Clerks themselves tell members to do that. You don't even need your receipt. They have your shopping history, and they can look up the purchase six months ago. I did it two days ago for the four folding lid storage tubs I bought a month ago for $6.99 that went on sale this week for $4.99. I could have returned the unused ones I bought, but I was in the warehouse, saw the sale price, and bought four more. I took them and my other purchases out to my car as normal, unloaded everything else, then turned around and went back into the warehouse and returned the four tubs, pointing out to the Clerk that I'd bought the first ones a few weeks back. She found my purchase, and gave me the refund. Worth it? Maybe not, but eight bucks is eight bucks. :)

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It occurs to me that you folks may be wondering: No, my spouse is not allowed to do refunds for me. It's not allowed, due to potential conflict of interest.

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Sorry, that is not even a poorly-kept secret. Lots of people do that. The Refund Clerks themselves tell members to do that. You don't even need your receipt. They have your shopping history, and they can look up the purchase six months ago. I did it two days ago for the four folding lid storage tubs I bought a month ago for $6.99 that went on sale this week for $4.99. I could have returned the unused ones I bought, but I was in the warehouse, saw the sale price, and bought four more. I took them and my other purchases out to my car as normal, unloaded everything else, then turned around and went back into the warehouse and returned the four tubs, pointing out to the Clerk that I'd bought the first ones a few weeks back. She found my purchase, and gave me the refund. Worth it? Maybe not, but eight bucks is eight bucks. :)

Dave

My post was more tongue in cheek. Just like you, my wife works at Costco and has for almost 20 years.

Most of my returns aren’t even opened. If I see something on sale that we might be able to use I buy it just in case knowing it may be gone tomorrow (and never to return). If it ends up we can’t use it or something that we really didn’t need, I’ll return it unopened.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My post was more tongue in cheek. Just like you, my wife works at Costco and has for almost 20 years.

Most of my returns aren’t even opened. If I see something on sale that we might be able to use I buy it just in case knowing it may be gone tomorrow (and never to return). If it ends up we can’t use it or something that we really didn’t need, I’ll return it unopened.

What?? Ok, then why have you let me go on and on and on for so long about the ins and outs of Costco without helping me out? LOL! Jeez, here I thought I was some sort of Costco poster boy, and there you sit, no doubt double-checking every one of my posts. :D

Dave

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What?? Ok, then why have you let me go on and on and on for so long about the ins and outs of Costco without helping me out? LOL! Jeez, here I thought I was some sort of Costco poster boy, and there you sit, no doubt double-checking every one of my posts. :D

Dave

You have done such a fantastic job I have had nothing more to add. :)