• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco Rotisserie Chicken $4.99.... Riddle when is it less than $4.99

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Listening to NPR today, there was a bit about Costco building a chicken processing plant near Fremont Nebraska to have 'vertical control' of the rotisserie chickens from incubation to processing to roasting so they can keep them at $4.99. This plant will supply the Western US and Alaska and Hawaii. Read or listen here: https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/6595...ka-supply-chain-for-its-5-rotisserie-chickens

Jim

PS, I learned that Costco sells 60 MILLION Rotisserie chickens a year!!

Popular critter, ain't it? ;)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have yet to hit a Costco for the past month or so. We will definitely pick up a rotisserie chicken on our next trip, and it would have been 3 years since we last had it.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have yet to hit a Costco for the past month or so.
I'm sorry, saywhatnow? I think the only time I made it a month without a Costco visit was the five weeks we just spent in Europe this summer.

Hi, my name is Amycurl, and I am a Costco addict. The first part of any recovery program is to admit that you have a problem and that you have no power over its influence in your life.

And yet, I still put my receipt into my purse as soon as I am done at the register even though I KNOW I need to show it at the door. Because it's not like I am there on average three times a week.

Hi, my name is Amycurl, and I am a Costco addict. :D

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
One of the first things DH does when we (I) book a timeshare stay is to look and see how close the nearest Costco is! We love to pick up a rotisserie chicken on the way back from a day of sightseeing, its a fast dinner & tastes great!

~Diane

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, saywhatnow? I think the only time I made it a month without a Costco visit was the five weeks we just spent in Europe this summer.

Hi, my name is Amycurl, and I am a Costco addict. The first part of any recovery program is to admit that you have a problem and that you have no power over its influence in your life.

And yet, I still put my receipt into my purse as soon as I am done at the register even though I KNOW I need to show it at the door. Because it's not like I am there on average three times a week.

Hi, my name is Amycurl, and I am a Costco addict. :D
LOL. The issue is that we have one Costco and the car park is so packed that it gives me a headache just thinking about the parking situation. After we get in, the store is crowded and the check out lines are long. They are building another one but a long way from where we are.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sweet little beloved mother had a store she LOVED LOVED Loved. She would go and get clothes to 'take home and try with her wardrobe'. And that would give her an excuse to go back a day or two later to exchange the clothes. I'm not at that state with Costco- because I don't take stuff back (much). And I don't think they want my picked-clean chicken carcass!

Jim

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgive for I have sinned. Sam's Club is closer so I have been getting my chickens at the Walmart Club. :(

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgive for I have sinned. Sam's Club is closer so I have been getting my chickens at the Walmart Club. :(
Go forth, my son, to Costco, and sin NO MORE! Sam's is the evil empire!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So, for those of you who like the Costco rotisserie chicken - how do you use it? What sort of meals do you make? Do you eat it fried chicken style, or shred it up into a casserole or... ? I'm taking notes. ;)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, for those of you who like the Costco rotisserie chicken - how do you use it? What sort of meals do you make? Do you eat it fried chicken style, or shred it up into a casserole or... ? I'm taking notes. ;)
For the two of us, night one is to cut off the legs & 1 wing and a couple of breast slices. (I like gnawing the meat off the bones, DW likes sliced white meat) with a side- like stuffing or garlic smashed spuds & a salad. Night 2, if I've cleaned the meat off the carcass, DW will make a casserole- that will take 2 meals to dispense with. Then the soup. I steam the carcass, then cool it and pick it clean. The liquid separates in the fridge overnight, I peel off the fat, then do what I call 1-2-3 soup. I rough chop one white onion, two ribs of celery, and 3 good size carrots. Maybe add mushrooms. Cover with water and add the chicken remains and the chicken juice from steaming the carcass. Add salt, pepper & 'secret spices'. Bring to a boil then simmer at least 40 minutes- but anywhere up to 1 1/2 hours improves it.

So the two of us usually get 6-8 meals from a bird. More or less.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
^^^ That's nice work, Jim! :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Being retired we have a choice when to go to Costco. Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings seem to be good times. Many times we walk right up to the Cashier or at most have 1 person in front of us.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

Dave

We usually only get there about every six weeks or so but when we do we buy two of the chickens.

We pull all the chicken from the bones and put it into serving size plastic bags. We then freeze it and use it for many different things. My two favorites are for street tacos and chicken and rice.

Shortly after posting this I ran across this article
https://www.myrecipes.com/convenience/easy-uses-for-costco-chicken

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
.... You will never get the same fuzzy feeling from another warehouse that you do at Costco. It boils down to how the companies are designed. Costco was built from the ground up, with a clear vision. Sam's Club is a spin-off from Walmart, and is an attempt by the Waltons to capitalize on the warehouse concept originally put forth by Sol Price and Jim Sinegal. (Sol went on to found Price Club, and Jim founded Costco. A number of years later Costco bought Price Club, and it has never looked back.) Walmart may be able to claim they're the largest retailer, but their Sam's Clubs are a pale imitation of Costco, and will never be as good. The base problem with them is they don't pay reasonable wages to all those employees, and Costco does. The problem starts with employee attitudes and loyalty. A rank beginner at Costco, on their first day, starts out earning something like $13 an hour, and earns regular raises and benefits going forward from there. A Walmart (or Sam's Club) employee starts at minimum wage and has to work YEARS to get up to that level. They are taught during their employee orientation how to apply for food stamps. (What kind of multi-billionaire employer does that to their employees?) Costco is about profits to the members, Walmart is about profits to Walmart. It's an old argument.

Dave

Gotta admit I’ve always liked Price Club/Costco better, but our local Sams has diesel and a 5% rebate on fuel with their credit card, so I use them for that. Haven’t been inside the store for about a year, though. If Costco has diesel, I’d be tanking up there instead.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We usually only get there about every six weeks or so but when we do we buy two of the chickens.

We pull all the chicken from the bones and put it into serving size plastic bags. We then freeze it and use it for many different things. My two favorites are for street tacos and chicken and rice.

Shortly after posting this I ran across this article
https://www.myrecipes.com/convenience/easy-uses-for-costco-chicken

Great link, thanks! Just as an FYI: Any rotisserie chickens that don't sell are processed overnight by a fancy machine that strips the meat from the bones, and bags it up. The packaged meat is sold by Costco in bags marked Rotisserie Chicken meat. Saves having to go through the hassle of stripping the carcass yourself. I don't know the price of it, but it seems a great time saver.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Gotta admit I’ve always liked Price Club/Costco better, but our local Sams has diesel and a 5% rebate on fuel with their credit card, so I use them for that. Haven’t been inside the store for about a year, though. If Costco has diesel, I’d be tanking up there instead.

If you need diesel, that makes sense. I wondered why Costco doesn't sell diesel, so did a bit of Googling just now. I came across this page: https://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html

So apparently, Costco DOES sell diesel, somewhere. I don't know know which locations. Might be worth calling them and asking if any warehouses near you offer it. :shrug:

Edited: I spoke too soon. Reading further down that linked page, it gives a list of locations that sell diesel. So you should check that list. Maybe there's one close to you. :thumbup:

Dave

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
They list diesel locations on that site; none in my state, though. :( Thanks anyway!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
They list diesel locations on that site; none in my state, though. :( Thanks anyway!

Oh well. Something to look forward to. Diesel and rotisserie chicken in the same shopping trip! :D

Dave

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Great link, thanks! Just as an FYI: Any rotisserie chickens that don't sell are processed overnight by a fancy machine that strips the meat from the bones, and bags it up. The packaged meat is sold by Costco in bags marked Rotisserie Chicken meat. Saves having to go through the hassle of stripping the carcass yourself. I don't know the price of it, but it seems a great time saver.

Dave
Thanks for the info. Will definitely take advantage of this.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sigh...I live near the busiest Costco in North America (they say that every time I ask) in South Calgary. Even though they have opened up 3 more in the city and surrounding area they have had no noticeable effect on reducing our line ups. Because of this I shop on the weekend and pass on the chicken usually since I supposedly have time to cook. I am interested however in the already stripped meat and will need to look for that. Along with Bucky's recently posted recipes I may start to buy them more often even though they are $7.99 in Canada. I do often buy them when we are on holiday since I too always look up the nearest Costco before going on vacation. My sister's closest store in Ottawa refills propane tanks. Line-up was awful but I know I would use the service. Been thinking of changing to shopping on a weeknight and insisting that my husband comes with me. While he is in the lineup for gas (15-20 minutes) I could go in and start shopping. Then he could lift the heavy stuff and carry it into the house. Now I do the gas lineup, search for parking, shop and lineup to check out, lift it into my van, minimum 3 trips into the house, put most of it away while he is out snowboarding every Saturday for 6 months of the year. Then he says I should pick up more beer when I'm there and complains when I ask him to package the meat into vacu packs.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Dave
We do a modified taco night. Make the uncooked tortillas from Costco while the bird warms up. Then we all slice our choice of meat and make tacos/burritos. I use buffalo sauce as my spice. About $6 for a meal for 4. What's left goes to dogs (sorry dogs not much.)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We usually just eat the chicken with some mashed potatoes. ANy left overs go in the fridge and what isn't eaten in a few days goes in to the freezer. I have also made homemade chicken and noodles in the pressure cooker with the meat from a whole bird. At some point all that leftover meat I have been putting in the freezer will go in to make a full batch of chicken and noodles.

Chicken and Noodles Recipe
Meat from Whole Costco Rotisserie Chicken
2 Cans of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
2 14oz Cans of Chicken Broth
1 Stick Salted Butter
1 24oz Bag of Reames Homestyle Egg Noodles

Directions: Place all ingredients into pressure cooker. Set timer to cook for 20 minutes. When finished, enjoy.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We buy the Mediterranean Salad Mix and add the chicken, sometimes I buy the spinach wraps and roll it up with the salad mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro