• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Could a closed Facebook Group work for TUG member direct exchanges?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
What’s wrong with Tug Marketplace exchanges? We have had good experiences using it.
Easier than RCI, II or any others .
IMHO adding another Direct exchange forum just makes something so easy, more complicated.
Here is how easy it is

1. Put a week in Marketplace Direct Exchange
Put as much info in the subject, fixed, points, flex, etc.
2. List the places and times you want to exchange into
Be as detailed as possible, to say “ any” although seems good, usually isn’t as helpful as saying what you really want to get for an exchange.
3. After both parties agree, each of you notify your resort, that Tug Member so and so ( usually I say my friends) will be staying at my timeshare.
4. The resorts will send you and them a confirmations.
5. Then that’s it. Simple ! No money , no problems! Pay your fees, they pay theirs!
Knock wood , we haven’t had a bad experience doing this.Tuggers are the best people to co ordinate with!
Silentg

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I've done a few direct exchanges with TUGgers and others I have met on Mouseowners and other Disney forums.
Mostly I've exchanged my DVC points for stuff that I wanted that was difficult to get thru II and RCI but easy
to get in a mini-system. Worked well for both of us, but I'm flexible as I don't have to follow a work or school
schedule.

I have a few TS groups that I started on FB already and I belong to several others.
Mine is for the CMV UDI owners and renters and the other is a Vacation Village resort
owners group.

I think it's easier to do an exchange with points ownerships as opposed to weeks.

I'm on FB alot so would be willing to help moderate if this materializes.

I wouldn't suggest it be a secret group because it can't be found by the FB search engine.
You could do a closed group and screen who comes in but the posts will not be public.
People can see you are a member but cannot see what you post unless they are members
and members of the group cannot see your personal profile unless you "friend" them.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am giving the TUG exchange a try. I like that one can be very specific because I only want to exchange for very specific weeks/properties and I don't want to waste time.

With that said, I am regularly monitoring exchange listings now. For example, there is someone who requested an exchange for a resort I want to trade for next year on my list. I PMed the poster to let them know that I am open to trading next year and what I have to trade. I figured that this person was knowledgeable and open to trading the resort that I desired (or may know of someone). PMing seems to provide the privacy desired. Providing TUG handles on PMs or on the ad would provide an additional way to get to know the person.

I have a concern about using Facebook because I don't use it much and don't want to personally identify to strangers who might be scammers unless it was a closed, vetted group.

Bottom Line: TUG could help identify the kind of resorts people are willing to exchange so you can identify potential exchangers in the future. PMs are a great follow up tool.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
What’s wrong with Tug Marketplace exchanges? We have had good experiences using it.
Easier than RCI, II or any others .
IMHO adding another Direct exchange forum just makes something so easy, more complicated.
Here is how easy it is

1. Put a week in Marketplace Direct Exchange
Put as much info in the subject, fixed, points, flex, etc.
2. List the places and times you want to exchange into
Be as detailed as possible, to say “ any” although seems good, usually isn’t as helpful as saying what you really want to get for an exchange.
3. After both parties agree, each of you notify your resort, that Tug Member so and so ( usually I say my friends) will be staying at my timeshare.
4. The resorts will send you and them a confirmations.
5. Then that’s it. Simple ! No money , no problems! Pay your fees, they pay theirs!
Knock wood , we haven’t had a bad experience doing this.Tuggers are the best people to co ordinate with!
Silentg
I have amended my previous post!

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
What’s wrong with Tug Marketplace exchanges?

Nothing*, except that there's a grand total of 64 ads on it right now. It needs exponentially more, which is tough to accomplish without a profit incentive.

(*Well, the ability to search based on what you have to trade would be good)

Last edited:

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I'm on FB alot so would be willing to help moderate if this materializes.
Thank you, Chriske. Still waiting to see if there is a TUGger who is sees enough potential in this to help set it up. If we get a group close to launch, will definitely be in touch.
I wouldn't suggest it be a secret group because it can't be found by the FB search engine.
You could do a closed group and screen who comes in but the posts will not be public.
People can see you are a member but cannot see what you post unless they are members
and members of the group cannot see your personal profile unless you "friend" them.
I agree that a closed group would offer adequate privacy and security. I brought up secret groups as an option because I know some are wary of Facebook in toto. Anyone who uses Facebook has hopefully looked at and adjusted their personal privacy settings. This is a good blog review of how to do that and what to consider:
https://www.techlicious.com/tip/complete-guide-to-facebook-privacy-settings/
I have a concern about using Facebook because I don't use it much and don't want to personally identify to strangers who might be scammers unless it was a closed, vetted group.
Again, if the proposed group became a reality, it would be a closed group. Any Facebook user could apply for membership in the group, but only verified TUG members would be accepted. Facebook users who were not members of the group would not be able to see what was posted to the group. If a TUG member joined the Facebook group, and was unable or unwilling to follow agreed-upon guidelines, they could be removed from the group, and even blocked if necessary.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We have the ability to remove posts from the Exchange Marketplace, I agree it should be purged more often.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Thank you, Chriske. Still waiting to see if there is a TUGger who is sees enough potential in this to help set it up. If we get a group close to launch, will definitely be in touch.

Again, if the proposed group became a reality, it would be a closed group. Any Facebook user could apply for membership in the group, but only verified TUG members would be accepted. Facebook users who were not members of the group would not be able to see what was posted to the group. If a TUG member joined the Facebook group, and was unable or unwilling to follow agreed-upon guidelines, they could be removed from the group, and even blocked if necessary.

The problem is that there are way more owners in mini systems in the Facebook groups that are not members of TUG and could be potential direct exchange options.

I often share with those groups to join TUG but those who are comfortable using Facebook may not be comfortable in an anonymous forum where you are never sure who you are dealing with with only an avatar to identify someone.

We could do an invitation only vetting to the group but it would be tedious. Maybe posting a link to the group that is only accessed thru the sighting board and also adding individuals from the other groups too to open up more options. Just a thought. Most of my direct trades have not been with TUG members but have been with mini system owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
.... way more owners in mini systems in the Facebook groups that are not members of TUG..... I often share with those groups to join TUG but those who are comfortable using Facebook may not be comfortable in an anonymous forum
Isn't it funny how we all have personal boundaries for what does (or doesn't) feel comfortable when it comes to using modern technology? My personal sticking point is ATMs. I kid you not. I just don't quite trust them, and never use them, even though at this point, they seem ubiquitous. To quote Bill Maher, "I don't know it for a fact, I just know that it's true".

Anyway. One of the appealing aspects of limiting membership to TUG members only is the simplicity of vetting. When you are setting up a FB group, you can set up screening questions - up to 3 of them. Off the top of my head, I would suggest:
  1. Are you a dues-paying TUG member? If yes, please give us your TUG username and year you joined
  2. Do you agree to read the group rules and abide by them? Please type YES
If this went well, it could be an additional inducement/perk for folks to join TUG as members. Joining TUG would not require them to interact here in the forums if it felt uncomfortably anonymous. They could use the amazing resources here as a reader, and limit direct interactions to the FB group, where they would be able to see their partner's personal FB profile name.

We could do an invitation only vetting to the group but it would be tedious.... Most of my direct trades have not been with TUG members but have been with mini system owners
Appealing, but as you said, likely to be tedious, and would fall on group administrators. A FB group member can "invite" others to join the group, but cannot add new members. Screening process is still in place, followed by group admin approve or decline. There would have to be a clear set of criteria for vetting a non-TUG member application. Perhaps a third screening question:
If you are not a TUG member, have you previously made a direct exchange with any member of this group? Who?
Followed by admin contact with named member to confirm.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I think you are making a simple thing more complicated. We have done at least 6 direct exchanges, thru Tug Marketplace. Here is what we do.
1 Place our ad
2 Read other ads
3 Reply to and from other members if something we see is compatible with what we are offering.
4 Private message and phone calls, and it’s so simple.
As the Beatles said “Let it Be”
Silentg

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Silentg, it is clear to me that the TUG Marketplace exchange process is working well for you - that's great! I have not given up on it, and will continue to check it periodically.

But I am confused as to why you find it problematic that some other TUG members might be interested in expanding their options for direct exchanging?

If we were discussing the relative merits of buying a TS resale via a facebook group (or eBay or Redweek) as opposed to TUG marketplace, would you be recommending we Let It Be?

As with TS systems, where one size does not fit all, there could be more than one viable approach to direct exchanging.