• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Could We Have a Direct Exchanges Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think an exchange program like the Vacation Internationale Direct Exchange program is pretty good. For a fee a VI owner can place their red season , non-all inclusive mandatory, owned week into the system for VI points. All members can see these weeks and request the reservation for a fee. This takes the iffyness out of trading because VI controls these exchanged weeks, not an individual so much.

The problem with the trades offered on Tug is trusting individuals. While everyone would likely trust TUG many are wary of individuals. That is why VRBO and the likes are popular. You don't have as much risk.

Maybe Tug should get into the rental business. There are plenty of members.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Maybe Tug should get into the rental business.

Uh, like the TUG Marketplace where there are hundreds of timeshares for rent?

Regarding an independent exchange forum. I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but this has been tried: A few years ago the Starwood owners decided they wanted to have their own exchanging website, and a Tugger with good computer skills set one up. After a year, he took it down, because every single request posted was for an upgrade to a more expensive and more popular resort. No one with the prime weeks offered them for exchange - they weren't interested, because they already owned the best weeks to exchange or rent or use. No exchanges were ever made - not one.

Also - I'm not trying to speak for Brian, but I don't think he is going to sanction an independent website under the TUG name. But if you set one up, and it is completely free (non-profit) you could probably post a link to it on TUG.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Uh, like the TUG Marketplace where there are hundreds of timeshares for rent?

Regarding an independent exchange forum. I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but this has been tried: A few years ago the Starwood owners decided they wanted to have their own exchanging website, and a Tugger with good computer skills set one up. After a year, he took it down, because every single request posted was for an upgrade to a more expensive and more popular resort. No one with the prime weeks offered them for exchange - they weren't interested, because they already owned the best weeks to exchange or rent or use. No exchanges were ever made - not one.

Also - I'm not trying to speak for Brian, but I don't think he is going to sanction an independent website under the TUG name. But if you set one up, and it is completely free (non-profit) you could probably post a link to it on TUG.

Regarding an independent exchange forum.
Ownertrades.com for Marriott to Marriott exchanges has existed for at least 15+ years.

A Starwood owners only exchange site would be a challenge due to the limited number of resorts. Perhaps it would have worked if it was limited to Hawaii and Caribbean owners.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Good point - do you know what the success rate is for the Marriott exchange forum?

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
still does not answer the question of why you didnt input the items you list above so that on the off chance someone does have a match, you would be notified. vs now reducing that chance to zero. there is nothing preventing you from entering in this data to allow for potential matches, but you deliberately did not do so.

I am sorry that you do not feel it will work for you despite my best efforts to provide you at least some opportunity to make a match for free. however you are absolutely correct, in this instance with what you have input...the direct exchange system will not work for you. (it certainly could if you changed your ad a bit, but as it stands now it simply will not)

Is it ok for us to post ads that won’t trigger the direct exchange system?

For some folks the notification option isn’t as important. But it doesn’t mean that others won’t continue to use the direct exchange system as you originally intended.

It just means that some folks are willing to decline that particular feature in order to get what they feel is more valuable to them. Exchanging is still available to folks that decline however inquiries will only come from those who search manually.

I actually like heathpack’s ad because it provide a complete picture and could result in more than one exchange opportunity based on what the other person owns. :thumbup:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you certainly can if you so desire, exchange ads are completely free..knock yourself out!

I was only replying since doing so in this case seemed to be being used as an example of "how it wont work".

But again, I will ask for any valid reason NOT to input the ad properly to actually result in a chance of finding a match...vs deliberately inputting bad data to ensure no match is actually ever made?

putting in a correct ad could include EVERYTHING listed in the current ad should you so desire, but it would ALSO allow for actual matches to occur.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
you certainly can if you so desire, exchange ads are completely free..knock yourself out!

I was only replying since doing so in this case seemed to be being used as an example of "how it wont work".

But again, I will ask for any valid reason NOT to input the ad properly to actually result in a chance of finding a match...vs deliberately inputting bad data to ensure no match is actually ever made?

putting in a correct ad could include EVERYTHING listed in the current ad should you so desire, but it would ALSO allow for actual matches to occur.

You are completely incorrect in your assessment that I constructed my ad to prove the Marketplace exchange system does not work. It’s exasperating that you would say something like that to a regular TUG contributor for many years. You may feel like I’m being willful because the way you see exchanges working differ from the way in which I see exchanges working. Nothing could be further from the truth. I wrote an exchange ad that attempts to express the gist of what I’m thinking for private exchanges amongst TUGgers. It’s an honestly written ad, not a sabotage attempt. My comments on the subject are intended to be feedback, they are in no way passive-aggressive.

I have little to no interest in being “automatically” matched. Likewise I have zero pending exchange requests with II, SFX, or DVC. Yet I check II and DVC Exchange availability probably 5 days per week. Not being interested in setting up a specific exchange request may not make sense to you, but I assure you there are many people just like me, people who want to see what options are available, then assess if an exchange opportunity might work and *then* start to work on the specifics of the exchange. It’s ok that you don’t ‘get’ that but to consider it evidence that I want to prove that Marketplace exchange system won’t work is just plain inaccurate.

Your position is as baffling to me as mine seems to be to you. It seems only logical to me like you’d want the TUG exchanging to work for the widest variety of exchange styles, to be as successful as it could be. I won’t ascribe intentions to your actions as you’ve done to mine. There’s some kind of strong attachment to the Marketplace format that I just won’t ever get, especially since I don’t have the impression that the Marketplace exchange format is wildly successful. It seems self evident to me that being open to doing things differently would make sense, so you not being receptive to feedback is perplexing.

But truthfully it’s a shame but no skin off my nose. I’m well positioned to exchange for what I want using II, SFX, DVC, Marriott and Hyatt exchange systems. I’m open to TUG exchanges as well and have done a few through non-Marketplace mechanisms. I’m actually pretty happy with my exchanges.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I was thinking of a "for profit" owner direct timeshare exchange with fees to place and take a unit of the same size. An owner would offer their week, an administrator of the exchange program would accept the week and any paid member could take that week. The owner who offers their week can then take a week that is listed as offered. If an owner would rather have cash instead there could be the fee for Tug administer and owner of the week gets cash for the mf + somewhere between 5% and 10%.

Fees would apply for deposits and redemptions. Only approved weeks would be taken. A week that does not get any takers would be given back to the owner at 60 days before the reservation.

Only paid Tug members could participate.

As far as I know there isn't anyone doing this that is all timeshare. Tug or better yet, a Tug subsidiary, could be the first. This idea would need tweaking but I think the potential is there for some serious cash flow considering that Tug has been around longer than VRBO and abnd.

VI has an owner exchange program that allows VI owner to give their approved week to VI for VI points. Other VI members can then acquire these weeks with their points. I have been using this program and really like it.

Bill

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I actually asked repeatedly(going on what, 5 times now) why one would post an ad with bad data and I felt it was an absolutely legitimate question (not to mention I still dont have a valid answer)

this was your initial post, perhaps I am just way off base...but this certainly reads to me that you made your exchange post for the sole purpose of seeing "how it would work"...yet deliberately chose to input fake data so that it would never result in any successful automatic match thus ensuring the test is a failure right from the start.

Ok I just built an ad which is still pending approval. If it goes live, I’ll post a link here.
It’s my attempt to use the Marketplace to list what I own, what I’m interested in and express a willingness to exchange. Rather than request a specific exchange.

We’ll see how it works....

I never asked you to change what was in your ad description, nor in any way suggested you alter what you had typed in any way shape or form, folks are welcome to add any additional comments in the description field as they see fit, its what it is for.

I merely questioned why you did not fill out the direct exchange ad using legitimate data so that it would actually be useful within the direct exchange system.

even a small chance of success is better than ensuring your chance is 0%

I would think that someone interested in making a direct exchange would actually want to achieve the best chance at successfully making an exchange, but again perhaps I am simply mistaken.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

I’m removing my exchange ad.

I’m sorry if I encouraged others to deviate from the way the system was designed. I didn’t mean any harm. My overall intent was to show how the Marketplace ad could be used since a private forum wasn’t an option. However, it sounds like the only exchange ads desired are the ones that make use of the automatic notifications which my ad does not.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMHO...I just posted an exchange ad and did a little bit of both because I couldn't figure out how to specify specific seasons or weeks desired (e.g. ski weeks not summer) so I put that detail into my content so that everyone doesn't waste time.

I like the idea of an exchange and am willing to give it a try.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I actually asked repeatedly(going on what, 5 times now) why one would post an ad with bad data and I felt it was an absolutely legitimate question (not to mention I still dont have a valid answer)

this was your initial post, perhaps I am just way off base...but this certainly reads to me that you made your exchange post for the sole purpose of seeing "how it would work"...yet deliberately chose to input fake data so that it would never result in any successful automatic match thus ensuring the test is a failure right from the start.

I never asked you to change what was in your ad description, nor in any way suggested you alter what you had typed in any way shape or form, folks are welcome to add any additional comments in the description field as they see fit, its what it is for.

I merely questioned why you did not fill out the direct exchange ad using legitimate data so that it would actually be useful within the direct exchange system.

even a small chance of success is better than ensuring your chance is 0%

I would think that someone interested in making a direct exchange would actually want to achieve the best chance at successfully making an exchange, but again perhaps I am simply mistaken.

It’s not inputting data that’s not legit. It a different exchanging approach. You persist in describing my ad in a negative way, even though you know I’ve found that characteristization insulting. So strange to me that you’d persist like this, that your attachment to the Marketplace format is greater than your sense of goodwill to a long term TUG contributor like myself.

I’ve already spent way more time banging my head against the wall on this subject than it makes sense to- but I’ll try to answer your question as to why I have not input “legit” data.

My travel plans are not yet set in stone for 2020. I’ll take 4 weeks of vacation and a week of continuing education. I might do that in 2 week blocks or one week blocks. I will be working travel around 16-18 local bike races, 8-10 dachshund field Trials, 6-10 Earthdog events. Some of these dates are known, some of the events I have an idea of, some I could contact the organizer to try to get an idea, sometimes that will be successful, sometimes not. Some races and events I might be willing to skip for a great travel opportunity.

When I build my racing year, I always have a main event goal. It’s usually in June. I could pick one in Oct instead. Or maybe even another date. If I pick June, I can’t do vacation riding 60 days prior. So no trips then. But if a good trip came available, I could possibly switch to my A race being October. I’d have to weigh all the neg ramifications of doing that vs the desirability of the exchange. It would really depend. It would trigger me to look for additional races, maybe even rethink the discipline I’d focus on that year.

It’s way too early for most people to know their travel schedule for 2020. Yet I work in a small department and always run my plans by my colleagues and staff before booking. If there’s an exchange I’m interested in and my colleague tells me that’s her Dad’s 70th birthday and she’ll likely go home to visit him, I’d skip the exchange.

And so on. I have maybe 20 factors I’m juggling at any given time when I’m organizing travel. There are times when I have it narrowed down and can request specific weeks. Right now is not one of those times. When I get ready to book an exchange, I use ongoing searches for a minority of my trades. So if a TUG exchange ad in my style is not in place, TUGgers won’t have access to what I own for the most part, because I’ll find something on II that works and just book it.

There’s no way it would be efficient for me to pin down all the variables right now in order to post an exchange ad listing specific weeks, specific resorts. My ad expresses a willingness to accept non-timeshare accommodation, which is not possible using the current Marketplace format.

Jeez.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I actually like heathpack's exchange ad, and may contact him regarding an exchange of his 2021 Marriott property.
There may be only a small group of us who are interested in using the exchange section like that, but even if a few of us get use of it like that, it helps.
Like Heathpack, I scan full list of the 68 exchanges listed weekly, hoping something new or useful comes up. It gives me ideas of where I might like to go.
I've come to trust TUG a lot over the years and wouldn't hesitate to exchange with someone. II has worked for me, but it is expensive. Between the membership fee and exchange fee, it adds $300+ to an exchange. Plus I have to prepay my maintenance fees sometimes a year early just to do an ongoing request.
I posted an exchange ad too and put as much info in the memo line as I could fit. It would be great if the memo line were a few characters longer, so someone scrolling down the full list could see what's offered and wanted without clicking into every ad.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
It’s not inputting data that’s not legit. It a different exchanging approach. You persist in describing my ad in a negative way, even though you know I’ve found that characteristization insulting. So strange to me that you’d persist like this, that your attachment to the Marketplace format is greater than your sense of goodwill to a long term TUG contributor like myself.

this is for lack of a better term, ridiculous.

I asked you a simple, non threatening, legitimate question that you repeatedly failed to ask.

I didnt accuse you of anything nefarious, I merely wanted to know why you chose to fill out your ad in a way that deliberately ensured the feature being discussed would not work. If that somehow offended you, im sorry. but your reaction to an otherwise innocuous and legitimate question is completely out of line.

There’s no way it would be efficient for me to pin down all the variables right now in order to post an exchange ad listing specific weeks, specific resorts.

indeed, with all the typing in replies to this thread, i can see where your time is limited.

sadly, this thread appears to have run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.