• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Creating a family heirloom

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is, indeed, an amazing piece. I love family heirlooms that are useful and practical, as well as decorative and meaningful. We're definitely an "Everyday Use" family. (That's the title of a short story by Alice Walker, which I highly recommend.)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Pretty cool dealio Dave !!!

Bill

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
looks wonderful. i especially like the haw'n motif (seen in quilts) in the middle of the clock face. I thought koa was a naturally dark wood; didn't realize it could appear much lighter. Love the grain and density of koa. I once saw a koa dining room set; gorgeous!! and so was the price :D

Just wonder what you're going to do with that 2nd koa piece.
Oh btw, there was a wood supply place in Seattle 4th ave south of SODO, that sells exotic woods, likely a little bit of koa too. My husband picked out his ipe deck planks from them several years ago.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
looks wonderful. i especially like the haw'n motif (seen in quilts) in the middle of the clock face. I thought koa was a naturally dark wood; didn't realize it could appear much lighter. Love the grain and density of koa. I once saw a koa dining room set; gorgeous!! and so was the price :D

Just wonder what you're going to do with that 2nd koa piece.
Oh btw, there was a wood supply place in Seattle 4th ave south of SODO, that sells exotic woods, likely a little bit of koa too. My husband picked out his ipe deck planks from them several years ago.

Thanks very much. I wanted it to refer back to Hawaii, but didn't want to go "tiki" or palm tree or whatever. I wanted something that, to me, might be a classic style, maybe even a Hawaiian antique. I think this does it.

The wood is waxed, not varnished or stained, which may have affected the color. There is a lot of variation in the color of this piece. It changes, depending on the light. Really nice. :) A lot of the Koa products I've seen ready-made are done in a golden oak color, which is nice, but this is actually richer.

I didn't know about the Seattle place, but this worked well, since I was able to source it more or less "on location."

The second piece of wood is still a question mark. No rush, of course, but we haven't decided. I'm thinking maybe a second clock, but a smaller one for the fireplace mantel, (other side of the house), using one of his standard designs, where it would be more straight up Arts and Crafts style. (He does beautiful work.)

Dave

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Very nice indeed. For your second piece, might I suggest a small (or larger) letter box/chest with similar motifs where you could keep the history of the clock and other family items like a genealogy. Or perhaps a wooden book binding of the history.

Cheers

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would be cool if YOU could craft something from the 2nd piece, with the clockmaker's oversight.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Very nice indeed. For your second piece, might I suggest a small (or larger) letter box/chest with similar motifs where you could keep the history of the clock and other family items like a genealogy. Or perhaps a wooden book binding of the history.

Cheers

Wow. What a great idea! Thank you!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Would be cool if YOU could craft something from the 2nd piece, with the clockmaker's oversight.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Nice thought, but not realistic for me. I can design like crazy, but I don't have the patience or the skill for something like this. This guy has been woodworking forever, and he has all the right tools and know-how. I have a hammer and a bent screwdriver. ;)

Dave

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks great. I admire your idea to create something like this.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It looks great. I admire your idea to create something like this.

Thank you. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but never put the plan into action. Once I did, it came together pretty easily, and with very satisfying results. :)

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Nicely done....love the matching box idea too....

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
The box idea is a good one, but I'm going to suggest a ukulele for the 2nd piece.
That means however, Dave would have to learn how to play it :cool:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The box idea is a good one, but I'm going to suggest a ukulele for the 2nd piece.
That means however, Dave would have to learn how to play it :cool:

That's an intriguing idea. I've always wanted to learn to play one, but I don't know if Koa is the right kind of wood for a ukulele. It's fairly heavy. Isn't a ukulele the instrument you tune by strumming the four strings and singing "My dog has fleas?" I think I can handle that much anyway. Just ask my dogs. LOL!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, the do make ukulele 's out of Koa. They are beautiful.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, the do make ukulele 's out of Koa. They are beautiful.

Ok. Good to know. I haven't ever checked. But I don't know if my clock making friend would be skilled at making a musical instrument. That is definitely its own art form. I'd rather buy a ukulele, and have something really special made with the Koa.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I agree and I'm sure you'll come up with something good!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing how much lumber you have left, but back when my parents married (1936), dad made my mom a 'blanket trunk' that goes across the foot of the bed. I treasure it. Even though dad wasn't a 'craftsman' it shows the love and time he put into it.

But if you are a little short on material, a jewelry box for the top of the wifes dresser would fall into keepsake category too.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not knowing how much lumber you have left, but back when my parents married (1936), dad made my mom a 'blanket trunk' that goes across the foot of the bed. I treasure it. Even though dad wasn't a 'craftsman' it shows the love and time he put into it.

But if you are a little short on material, a jewelry box for the top of the wifes dresser would fall into keepsake category too.

It's one board, about six feet long, six inches wide, and one inch thick. Not a lot of material. I'll figure something out.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, the clock is finally here, and is hanging on my wall. It is absolutely stunning. I am a very happy owner today.

Koa Clock 2.jpg

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Nice!

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
It is very beautiful. Maybe you should use the other board to make something that would be an heirloom for your other children???

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It is very beautiful. Maybe you should use the other board to make something that would be an heirloom for your other children???

Thank you. I only have two kids, and my son isn't much interested. My daughter took one look, and said, "Ok, this is coming to me, right? Right??" She was in the Navy, and was stationed in Hawaii for several years. She has a love for the Islands. I think that decision was made pretty easily. ;)

I'm having a second clock made with the second board. It'll be smaller, something to sit on the mantel above the fireplace. But it should be something equally attractive. Stay tuned. :)

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
It is lovely! What a great idea!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I didn't think to show the inside of the clock. You can see the pendulum easier this way. :)

Dave

Koa Clock 3.JPG