• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Crockpot cooks please help. Beef roast recipe.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm making a family favorite but I haven't done this for several years. I didn't get the 3 lb. beef chuck roast into the pot until 1 p.m. From looking online I've come up with 4-5 hours cook time.

In the pot with the roast is a jar of pepperocini, giardiniera, zesty Italian dressing packet and beef stock.

Will 5 hours be enough to make this tender?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I'm making a family favorite but I haven't done this for several years. I didn't get the 3 lb. beef chuck roast into the pot until 1 p.m. From looking online I've come up with 4-5 hours cook time.

In the pot with the roast is a jar of pepperocini, giardiniera, zesty Italian dressing packet and beef stock.

You should be fine at 5 hours. Will taste better the next day.

Buon Appetito.

Richard

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Yes, on high. Is your crock pot newer? My 2010's vintage cooks much faster than my 1980's version.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably coming late to the party (what's that about too many cooks?) But did you put the chuck in whole, and raw, or did you cut it up along the 'gristle/fat' veins and brown the chunks? That would make a difference in cooking time, and if there's less connective tissue, a chuck will be more tender anyway.

I've never cooked a pot roast with all those flavorful ingredients. Just potatoes, carrots, celery, onions of course, maybe some mushrooms and red wine at our house. you've got me thinking.

Jim

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All the responses were encouraging. Recipe said to cook low for 9 hours. I’m going 6 on high. Shredded it best I could for the last hour of cooking.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Since y'all are speaking of slow cooked roast - have you tried this?

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/mississippi-roast/

Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast

This is the easiest way to fix the most delicious chuck roast!!!

Cook time: 8 Hr Prep time: 15 Min
Ingredients
1or 2 beef chuck roast
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg mccormick au jus gravy mix
1 stick butter
1 Jar pepperoncini peppers
Directions
1. Place chuck roast in crock Pot
2. Sprinkle Ranch Dressing mix on top followed by Au Jus Gravy Mix.
3. Place butter on top of dry mixes. Place peppers on top of roast. Add NO water!!!! Cook on low for 8 hrs, then enjoy!!!!

It is THAT good!

Fala707

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I need my slow cooker to cook faster I place a sheet of foil between the food and the lid (but not touching the food). Cut a few vent holes in the foil then put the lid on. This way some of the heat gets reflected back in the pot.

geekette

Reaction score
When I need my slow cooker to cook faster I place a sheet of foil between the food and the lid (but not touching the food). Cut a few vent holes in the foil then put the lid on. This way some of the heat gets reflected back in the pot.
Nice trick!!!! Thank you!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since y'all are speaking of slow cooked roast - have you tried this?

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/mississippi-roast/

Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast

This is the easiest way to fix the most delicious chuck roast!!!

Cook time: 8 Hr Prep time: 15 Min
Ingredients
1or 2 beef chuck roast
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg mccormick au jus gravy mix
1 stick butter
1 Jar pepperoncini peppers
Directions
1. Place chuck roast in crock Pot
2. Sprinkle Ranch Dressing mix on top followed by Au Jus Gravy Mix.
3. Place butter on top of dry mixes. Place peppers on top of roast. Add NO water!!!! Cook on low for 8 hrs, then enjoy!!!!

It is THAT good!
A friend just recommended this to me. I admit I'm doubtful. What does it taste like? Isn't it super salty? What do the peppers add?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’ve made the Mississippi pot roast many times. The butter truly softens the meat. The peppers give it a kick. I use InstaPots though so ready in an hr.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I was glad Cliff didn't pitch a fit when I put both the large older used crock pot, and the smaller new-in-box crock pots out at our May garage sale. We never, ever found a recipe that resulted in tender meat, and I got tired of him wanting to make baked beans once a year. He'd make crock pot baked beans then look around for praise like he'd done a good thing. So you've made beans, what about the rest of the meal? He figured he was done once the beans, which I did not want him to make in the first place when there was a perfectly good can of Bush's in the cupboard, were ready. No you are not done, what else are you serving to make a complete meal? I on purpose neglected to mention on garage sale day that he'd just bought another bag of dried beans -- I'll leave those through next summer to be sure I don't get in trouble for throwing "his beans" away because I suspect he'll want to try a stove top version.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
A friend just recommended this to me. I admit I'm doubtful. What does it taste like? Isn't it super salty? What do the peppers add?

The Au Jus and peppers (and the pepper juice) combines to make an outstanding gravy. The peppers can be overpowering to some (not in a hot way, but a vinegar influenced sort of way) but one way to tempter them down a bit is to drain the juice. My wife did not like the first go we had at this recipe as she thought the overall taste was too dominated by the pepper juice (I loved it). But we drained half the juice the next time and she was happy with that adjustment.

Obviously, a larger roast can help temper the overall peppery / vinegar influenced taste as well.

Something else we tried in this last batch was to add two large chicken breasts to the dish. The chicken breasts were placed above the roast and the breasts were large enough that they did not fall down into the sauce (juice, gravy) created as this dish simmers. These breasts came out tasting mighty fine - almost as if they were smoked (meaning the flavor of the spices had worked their way through the chicken breasts).

There are a lot of variations one can do with this dish but we have enjoyed it. No doubt it probably helps that we like peppers (that may be the most critical consideration in trying to determine if someone might like this dish).

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve made the Mississippi pot roast many times. The butter truly softens the meat. The peppers give it a kick. I use InstaPots though so ready in an hr.

I like our InstantPot as well but there is something about this dish simmering in a slow cooker that makes it even more mouth watering.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Never tried that. Actually not sure we even own a crockpot??

But. Wouldn’t the butter be somewhat the same as butter on a steak?

If you haven’t tried that. Then You need to give it a whirl

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, it would be similar. I love our InstaPots. Can be used as Crocckpot as well

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Au Jus and peppers (and the pepper juice) combines to make an outstanding gravy. The peppers can be overpowering to some (not in a hot way, but a vinegar influenced sort of way) but one way to tempter them down a bit is to drain the juice. My wife did not like the first go we had at this recipe as she thought the overall taste was too dominated by the pepper juice (I loved it). But we drained half the juice the next time and she was happy with that adjustment.

Obviously, a larger roast can help temper the overall peppery / vinegar influenced taste as well.

Something else we tried in this last batch was to add two large chicken breasts to the dish. The chicken breasts were placed above the roast and the breasts were large enough that they did not fall down into the sauce (juice, gravy) created as this dish simmers. These breasts came out tasting mighty fine - almost as if they were smoked (meaning the flavor of the spices had worked their way through the chicken breasts).

There are a lot of variations one can do with this dish but we have enjoyed it. No doubt it probably helps that we like peppers (that may be the most critical consideration in trying to determine if someone might like this dish).

Thanks! That gives me a much better idea of what happens with the peppers. It sounds like you're making something super rich and buttery and heavily seasoned, and idea is that the vinegar cuts through and adds a contrasting note?

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Thanks to this delicious sounding thread I currently have a chuck roast with appropriate seasonings cooking in the IP (on the slow cooker setting). Hoping it will make a bunch of meals I can freeze for my youngest, the only one at home these days. My DH and I eat mostly vegan and cooking for just one has become a challenge!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Thanks to this delicious sounding thread... I have bookmarked it, and I'm looking forward to returning home in a few days so I can make a pot roast

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’ve made corned beef and cabbage, pork chops, chicken cacciatore,beef stew, spaghetti sauce and oatmeal in my crock pots. Used to use it more when I was working so dinner would be ready when everyone got home for dinner.
Now we are retired and haven’t used the crock pot much this summer. Mostly grilling and going out for dinner too. Have any of you taken your crockpot on vacation?
Silentg

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks! That gives me a much better idea of what happens with the peppers. It sounds like you're making something super rich and buttery and heavily seasoned, and idea is that the vinegar cuts through and adds a contrasting note?

Yes exactly - it is the contrast of taste sensations I find so enjoyable about this dish!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And just to reemphasize, this dish is easily customizable by varying any number of factors here. A larger roast will soften the extremes of flavors just as a smaller roast will widen them.
Varying each individual ingredient - and sometimes adding variations has been a considerable part of the fun with this dish (see the adding of the chicken breasts as an example).

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
After reading this thread, I made the Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast. My chuck roast did not weigh as much as the recipe called for and I have a large crock pot. Although my roast was not a thick one, I had a problem in that the contents of the seasoning packets on top of the roast did not dissolve completely (I wasn't home to help it). The gravy was so sparse, strong and salty that I had to add more water. Some of the contents of the seasoning packets became wedged between the roast and the crock pot leaving a thick, hardened goo along part of the bottom edge of the crock pot. It was extremely hard to clean later. I did not use the full amount of butter called for but still had a very greasy gravy. The roast was tender and tasty enough (I only used three larger peppers) but nothing to rave about.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUOTE="Glynda, post: 2329410, member: 1498"]After reading this thread, I made the Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to giving this a go, but like you will have to modify it a little. I'm on a salt restricted diet, so that will need to be addressed. No salt butter will help, and maybe cutting back on the Italian dressing and peppers- and juice. I think the giardiniera will add a dimension. As stated above, I'm an Idaho boy and potatoes and onions are a base of so many foods, but this looked interesting, and worthy of a try.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking I would use dehydrated onion and garlic rather than onion soup mix. I've started using the dehydrated onion from Costco for things like pot roast when I don't have time to do a full-dress sauteing extravaganza. Very successful!