• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Crucial change to HGVC - We must take action, stand together and be heard

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In the time that I've been a member (since 2007), eggsactly one affiliate has discharged HGVC as management. Shell Island Beach Club (Sanibel) terminated HGVC "for cause" over dissatisfaction with hurricane reconstruction in 2009. A lawsuit between the parties was settled in 2010.

If interested, you can read the settlement agreement here: http://www.shellislandbeachclubsanibel.com/webfm_send/64

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the time that I've been a member (since 2007), eggsactly one affiliate has discharged HGVC as management. Shell Island Beach Club (Sanibel) terminated HGVC "for cause" over dissatisfaction with hurricane reconstruction in 2009. A lawsuit between the parties was settled in 2010.

If interested, you can read the settlement agreement here: http://www.shellislandbeachclubsanibel.com/webfm_send/64

Do you have any insight as to what the issue was?

TTom

Reaction score
I agree

that the likelihood of any change in the relationships of resorts with HGVC is very unlikely (almost impossible). I was just saying if the resort mananagment (i.e., the HOA) joins in expressing displeasure with the decision, it can't hurt.

Presumably, they could say, "we are hearing from many of our owners that they are unappy and, as a result our sales and occupancy are down." It might resonate with the corporate bean counters?

Relying solely on individual owners to contact the club and keep the pressure on is going to be a tough thing. The resorts have regular, if not daily contact with HGVC, and it is probably easier for them to keep the tune playing.

No magic bullets, and little likelihood of an impact, but something to suggest.

Tom

USDave

Reaction score
Happy New Year All. I hope 2015 brings you health, wealth and happiness.

It is interesting when you read the posts and Tamaradarann is quite right HGVC have now been made aware of this issue nearly a month!

Whilst Tom is right they won't view it a "crisis" as such. It is a crisis of member and prospective member opinion just based on views and posts. Execs often have time booked off at the start and end of the year and they take their eye of the ball. The communication has been inept and if we keep the momentum it will hurt the sales before they know it.

Denise/Brian could you make this issue central in the email newsletter please? I am sure that "buyer rescinds in the nick of time" topic could wait to the issue after ☺️
Joke!

There are now a number of posts on the HGVC Facebook site so we are starting to create a theme.

Tom you are right it can be tough going relying on a few of us to keep pushing the issue but that is what it will take and I am up for it and I think you and a few more besides are too!

For me the issue about getting resorts to change management is not going to happen and in truth I love many of the things that Hilton offer and it helps retain the value of the offering. As I am sure most would agree we like many aspects of the resorts. However I would raise the issue with the HOA's and directly with each resort you own at so this is being fed back by every channel.

What do you think about setting a date when as many as possible call to discuss the issue with HGVC? This is not intended to be a nuisance but to highlight the strength of feeling.

If we let it fade away it will.

WE NEED YOUR HELP and contribution.

HOW - email, ring, post to HGVC Facebook, tweet to HGVC Twitter AND resort feed and post on TUG also join the debate.

If your reading these posts come on join in!

If we can feel this strongly about a subject when frankly we have been at a crazy time of year, we can have an even greater impact from now on for the next month, two months or however long it takes.

Last edited:

JM48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,
I applaud your efforts on this matter! I agree if we keep this up we might get noticed.
I sent an e mail to both B. Brinks & to K. Kreiger.
Ms. Brinks did respond it was a polite standard response,
which pointed out that they were delaying the increase until later so they could re-evaluate it.
I then asked if they were really going to do something or just "wait us out".
She said she was bring it to the attn. of the Exec. Comm.

I only got the "thanks for sending us an e mail" from K. Kreiger nothing more.

I am not on Facebook but I did send a Tweet.

Thanks

JM

USDave

Reaction score
Great JM

Thank you for kind words. As I have said in earlier posts it is about creating a tipping point and I really believe we can do that.

What do you think about the idea of a day or days when as many of us call to discuss the issue.

The problem with email is they can easily side step issue if we let them!

I would ask if the send you the standard thank you and bye email that you pose questions to them that why it is harder to fob you off and they have to give thought to answers and if the don't answer we can say why haven't you answered them.

My wife thinks I am crazy as we have only ever used OS for a few days to extended a 2 week but that is not the point it is the principle that they believe a 100% increase is acceptable or the right thing to do.

TTom

Reaction score
Resorts on Social Media

I looked around for a presence on Twitter and Facebook for the two HGVC resorts I own (Club Regency and The Bay Club). Both had a "presence" on Facebook, but neither of them was officially sanctioned by the resort. They are pages generated by "user interest" on Facebook. While they might be of interest, I doubt they will get the message to resort management.

I'm guessing I will have to search out direct channels to resort management.

Tom

JM48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,

I don't know where you are from but my wife thinks we are related!! I agree it is another perk they are cutting back on or lowering its value. At some point we should stand up & say enough is enough!

I am not a big fan of tying up the phone lines to prove a point, it is hard enough to get through some days as it is.
I agree that a few calls each day would be OK so the CS people will send the message to the higher ups. Most of the CS people I have talked to are polite but don't do anymore then listen & say they will pass it on.

I think they think by Apr. we will all have forgotten about this & they can just slide in a gradual increase at a few resorts now then a few later then by years end they will have exactly what they wanted. At least this forum won't let that happen.

It would be nice to see this in the weekly news letter from TUG.

JM

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked OS rates and within the same market they vary resort by resort. Have they not fixed it yet or they going to refund the difference at checkin?

USDave

Reaction score
Funny JM,

I don't think that my family has spread as far as Boston maybe the "we shall not be defeated gene" is in both families.

I hear you about tying up the phone lines I was thinking more about calling Barbie and the corporate office rather than the contact centre for the reasons you mentioned!

Piyooshj

Yes they are planning to refund at check on for those that have already booked.

Any prospective buyers out there wondering what all the fuss is all about.

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
yet another canned reponse on the fb posts

Hilton Grand Vacations Your feedback is so appreciated, and we want to assure you that you’ve been heard ... and we’ve taken action. As we regrettably did not provide ample notice regarding changes to the Open Season fee structure for the year ahead, we are committed to easing any inconvenience by rolling back the rates to the 2014 levels throughout the first quarter of 2015.

We will be notifying you of the updated fee structure to be implemented as of the second quarter of 2015.

For those who had confirmed Open Season reservations at the former rates, please be assured the rate will be adjusted and your refund will be acknowledged at check-in (as applicable).

We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Hilton Grand Vacations, and extend our best wishes for a wonderful holiday season.​

so the question is, is the upated fee structure the same they implemented or is it going to change based on consumer feedback?

instead of 100%, 90% :shrug:

Last edited:

USDave

Reaction score
Hi letsgosteelers

Don't forget they only get away with the canned response if we let them.

If you can respond and don't let them off the hook crucial not to let them off the hook.

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi letsgosteelers

Don't forget they only get away with the canned response if we let them.

If you can respond and don't let them off the hook crucial not to let them off the hook.

what's funny is I saw an earlier version of that post they deleted...maybe too strong?? :D

Increasing Open Season rates by upwards of 100% and then stating you will delay for a quarter is not reasonable nor acceptable.

The recent IPO should not be a reason for lining the pockets of mgmt since the resorts themselves do not receive this income thereby contribution to lowering or off-setting maint fees.

It was a slick move with no warning but this type of underhanded shennanigans should not be tolerated.

It ranks right up there with contininuing to declare "Hands Up Don't Shoot" when the facts prove out no such action took place.

Here, the facts matter, and there is no justification for raising rates 100% on Jan 1st or Apr 1st, or any other day.​

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish you all well with this! I dumped my Hilton Club, My Hilton Amex, My Hilton Citi Bank because of the changes they made last year!

I am almost out of Hilton points now and don't plan on going to Hilton much anymore period! I am happy to have gotten out when I did! They really could care less about us!

I wish I didn't feel that way, but I in fact do!

I hope they get your message!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
HGVC is a Good Timeshare System

I wish you all well with this! I dumped my Hilton Club, My Hilton Amex, My Hilton Citi Bank because of the changes they made last year!

I am almost out of Hilton points now and don't plan on going to Hilton much anymore period! I am happy to have gotten out when I did! They really could care less about us!

I wish I didn't feel that way, but I in fact do!

I hope they get your message!

I believe the Hilton Timeshare System is a good system. I have had some great vacations at these resorts. The people working there have been spectacular in the service and accommodations that they provide. I definitely think that this Open Season Rate Increase was wrong and excessive and perhaps this leads some others to feel that HGVC doesn't care or their properties are not worth owning. I can appreciate those thoughts but I never would have vacationed as much, in as many nice places, and been treated as nicely if it wasn't for HGVC. Therefore, my feeling remains that I like the system, but don't like this latest degradation of the benefits of ownership.

USDave

Reaction score
That's right letsgosteelers

100% simply can't be justified.

Tamaradarann you are quite right though there is an awful lot to happy about in the quality of the resorts that is why we bought them and pay the ever increasing MF's.

However for those great reasons that is what we should fight this because it is worth fighting for to protect what we love and bought.

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guys there are very few people who take most of the advantage of OS. I think what we should fight for is income from higher OS rates goes to resort (at least a big%) so that it reduces MF for everyone thus negates the devaluation affect. This may be just a wishful thinking of mine....but just 2 cents. With lower MFs occasionally when I use OS at higher rates I won't mind.

USDave

Reaction score
Hi piyooshj

I hear your point but I think it is wishful thinking that they will use the money for a good cause. I my opinion this will be the thin end of the wedge for charges and will no explanation as to what the money is for and where it goes

The reason for this is simply cash generation I believe if they can get away it they will.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Open Season Availability Derivation and Reduced MF

Guys there are very few people who take most of the advantage of OS. I think what we should fight for is income from higher OS rates goes to resort (at least a big%) so that it reduces MF for everyone thus negates the devaluation affect. This may be just a wishful thinking of mine....but just 2 cents. With lower MFs occasionally when I use OS at higher rates I won't mind.

While I agree that using the revenue from the higher Open Season Reservations to lower MF would be a benefit to owners, the settling of the derivation of the Open Season Availability is critical. If HGVC would allow all the increased revenue to go to lowering MF regardless of where the availability came from then I am an advocate. If Hilton just let the increase in revenue from the Club Reservation Availability that wasn't reserved by owner/members using their points then the owner/member group will be just getting back some revenue for weeks that they already paid full MF for. If Hilton sells the availability on Hilton.com that was derived by owner/members depositing their points to Hilton Honors or for Perks, then that revenue wouldn't be benefiting owners.

mkaz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Open Season Changes

Can someone tell me where the open season changes were announced or how I can access the information? I need to review the announcement before I can contact HGV. I did not receive an email as far as I can tell. Thanks.

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
It it not just the os increase, it is the added fees for reservations, cancellations, the devaluing of honors points, the list goes on and on!
When I purchased, I purchased resale and I received a really good deal.
But I hate when big corporations keep nickel and diming us because they know there is no recourse!
That is why I left Hilton although I still love Hilton overall and yes they have some nice resorts.
They have only added additional cost, they have not added any additional value to the time share purchasers!

So in life we all have to take decisions, only ones that affect a companies bottom line get heard! Then they realize they did the wrong thing!
There are definitely numbers on this board, whether enough numbers to have an effect is questionable.
Conrad Hilton would be ashamed of what Blackrock is doing to it, that I do know!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Can someone tell me where the open season changes were announced... I need to review the announcement before I can contact HGV. I did not receive an email as far as I can tell.

That is the point of this exercize... There was no announcement.
The higher rates were "discovered" by someone trying to book O/S.
You can wait for the announcement, but don't hold your breath.

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
They figured they can get by 70% hike last year w/o announcement so why NOT try 100% this time.