• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Current MVC point price

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
We are Vistana owners and are staying at a MVC on points. We went to a presentation at Marriott Shadow Ridge to get a couple hundred bucks and learn about the MVC system. We were offered points at ~$14.2 per point. I thought I would feed the information forward. Maybe some day both systems will combine and we will have access to all the MVC properties as well.

The Sales people where very much MVC and didnt know much about the Vistana buyout.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are Vistana owners and are staying at a MVC on points. We went to a presentation at Marriott Shadow Ridge to get a couple hundred bucks and learn about the MVC system. We were offered points at ~$14.2 per point. I thought I would feed the information forward. Maybe some day both systems will combine and we will have access to all the MVC properties as well.

The Sales people where very much MVC and didnt know much about the Vistana buyout.

Thats kind of tragic, they like to call those "updates", and they didn't even know about Vistana! Well, there are some good ones, and some bad ones I guess. You can likely only believe some of what they told you, esp given they didn't even know of the buyout. Better to learn here on Tug. $14.2 per point is expensive. Consider carefully at that price! My last purchase, admittedly it took some effort, was $4.76 per point all in (well, it's a week that I always elect for points) with cheaper MF than true points have.

I guess you updated them! At least you got paid for it. We always go. I guess I'll be at Shadow Ridge for a presentation in a few weeks again. Most of the ones there aren't shall we say the best from my experience.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
They did know about the Vistana...just not much. They were really pushing the MVC system. We didn't buy. We already own 3 weeks with Vistana, so aren't really interested in MVC right now.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
They did know about the Vistana...just not much. They were really pushing the MVC system. We didn't buy. We already own 3 weeks with Vistana, so aren't really interested in MVC right now.

Yeah, we'll see how it all shakes out and if anything really happens. It's good to learn though. Some seem to like owning in multiple systems. We, like you, have all our eggs in one basket, good or bad!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In December we were offered at $14.10/point. The sales person was pushing us to buy with the threat that MVC was going to pay for the merger/buyout by jacking the per point cost to over $18/point on January first. I figured there would be another increase but was more than a little skeptical it would jump nearly $4/point.

I thought it funny she was pushing us to buy at $14.10/point with the idea if we didn't buy now, we wouldn't buy when the price went up. I was thinking if she'd have looked at our history, she'd have seen we didn't buy when the price was around $9/point so, using her logic, what chance did she stand at $14? Things that make you laugh (on the inside) at a sales presentation.

3wheelin

Reaction score
Surely these salespeople are aware of the resale market and what kind of prices are there. $14/point EEEK!!!

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Price this week from a sales presentation was at $14.24 per point. They wondered why I didn’t want to purchase...pricey!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Price this week from a sales presentation was at $14.24 per point. They wondered why I didn’t want to purchase...pricey!
Just to put this into context, you would need to spend over $175,000 (plus MFs of course) to have enough points to stay for just 1 week in peak season in one of the best Hawaii resort units.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
We are scheduled for a presentation in Phuket on Saturday Feb. 23rd. I will bring up the $175K for enough points for 1 week in peak season in Hawaii and post the response. Looking forward to the presentation. We are getting 3 nights at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach for attending the presentation so a good use of an hour which we can normally hold them too as a Chairman's Club member.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are scheduled for a presentation in Phuket on Saturday Feb. 23rd. I will bring up the $175K for enough points for 1 week in peak season in Hawaii and post the response. Looking forward to the presentation. We are getting 3 nights at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach for attending the presentation so a good use of an hour which we can normally hold them too as a Chairman's Club member.
As you will know already with your ownership, but others may not, in Phuket they are currently selling Asia Pacific (AP) points rather than Destination Club (DC) points.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Just to put this into context, you would need to spend over $175,000 (plus MFs of course) to have enough points to stay for just 1 week in peak season in one of the best Hawaii resort units.

And people are complaining about Disney?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
And people are complaining about Disney?
Why are they complaining about Disney? Is it because of the limitations on going to new properties with a purchase to Riviera?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Surely these salespeople are aware of the resale market and what kind of prices are there. $14/point EEEK!!!

The problem isn't that the sales people aren't aware. The problem is the majority of the prospects they pitch to don't know the resale market exists.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

It takes over 12K points for a week in Hawaii? I think I'll stay on the mainland.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 742F2914-13DD-4019-8490-9634AD281981.png
    742F2914-13DD-4019-8490-9634AD281981.png
    232 KB · Views: 209

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
By way of example.

Sure, but you wouldn't do that with points of course. That's like saying, I traded my 3 BR Platinum oceanfront week at MOC for a studio in Branson in January. Points are great in many other instances. But agree, not at $14 per point.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why are they complaining about Disney? Is it because of the limitations on going to new properties with a purchase to Riviera?

Direct price increases, changes in points chart, new resale limitations. But it pales in comparison to what Marriott has done and is doing.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I think people should just work with the corporate offices sales team. First, it is not as high pressure as at the sites. Secondly, YOU have control over your time because you’re doing the sale over your phone and you can cut it off at any time. Thirdly, the average sale for them is two weeks, which provides people with an opportunity to mull their decision to buy or not.

They offer the same if not better rewards for purchases and it’s a less confrontational. I even get the Marriott Rewards as if I was invited to a presentation. I have bought both my timeshares through Marriott and it’s been in that fashion.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Direct price increases, changes in points chart, new resale limitations. But it pales in comparison to what Marriott has done and is doing.

Disney is no joke (meaning not cheap) either. They don’t give ANY discounts on anything. You have to be a Mickey fan to deal with them for sure.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, but you wouldn't do that with points of course. That's like saying, I traded my 3 BR Platinum oceanfront week at MOC for a studio in Branson in January. Points are great in many other instances. But agree, not at $14 per point.
Absolutely, my eyes just glazed over when I first saw weekly points requirements like these.
It does put into context though some of the sales presentation messages pushing one or two thousand points or even more for $10ks

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think people should just work with the corporate offices sales team. First, it is not as high pressure as at the sites. Secondly, YOU have control over your time because you’re doing the sale over your phone and you can cut it off at any time. Thirdly, the average sale for them is two weeks, which provides people with an opportunity to mull their decision to buy or not.

They offer the same if not better rewards for purchases and it’s a less confrontational. I even get the Marriott Rewards as if I was invited to a presentation. I have bought both my timeshares through Marriott and it’s been in that fashion.

Yes. I agree. Actually, the corporate office can give better perks than the sales offices. I almost bought a hybrid package through the corporate office, and they were offering 2500 DPs as a bonus and I asked and they doubled it to 5000 DPs. I ended up not moving forward and buying resale trust points instead. My last purchase was a hybrid purchase by the phone with the Spain sales office. I also was happy with the sales team in Spain. (Thanks to SteveF who referred me to Spain)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney is no joke (meaning not cheap) either. They don’t give ANY discounts on anything. You have to be a Mickey fan to deal with them for sure.

Disney is low pressure IMO. I do not find any of these big brand TS companies that hard to deal with. It seems from the stories I read on TUG that the sales offices are treacherous. I guess this is because my first experiences dealing with TS sales people was in Mexico. Compared to Mexico, the US people are pussy cats.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, my eyes just glazed over when I first saw weekly points requirements like these.
It does put into context though some of the sales presentation messages pushing one or two thousand points or even more for $10ks

We agree. For others, I will note that a week using DC points is in many places cheaper than exchanging my 1BR DSV2 for the same place. But I've only ever done one full week using points, I either do 5 weekday stays like at Newport Coast, or, extend a week by 4 or 5 weekdays to give me 11 or 12 (doing that at DSV2 in a few weeks, cost me $347MF for 4 nights high season which I think is pretty good). Or, here and there, when I couldn't arrange flights on a multi city trip that aligned correctly like my upcoming trip in May/June, fill in days as needed with points. For me, that's worth something. But would not spend 14k. 14k got me 3500 resale points all in along with the side benefits of Presidential that have proven valuable.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have 2 enrolled weeks. There are certain seasons where I can exchange in for less than the points assigned to my week. Also with the 30% discount on points, I always come out ahead of the assigned points.