TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn Beach Club - St Maarten

Discussion in 'Caribbean Timesharing' started by winnipiseogee, Sep 20, 2017.

1. winnipiseogee

winnipiseogee TUG Member

Just got notice from II that my vacation at the end of April was canceled.

I completely understand the cancellation. It is terrible that the devastation was so bad that they already know they won't re-open this season.

2. Candace Shaw

Candace Shaw Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Dawn Beach Club, Marriott
    Hi Winnie,

I am looking for more info on DBC as an owner, but didn't get that message. Were you renting the DBC through II or are you an owner?

I'm getting concerned by the lack of communication from corporate.

Thank you!

3. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

The resort was in the eye of the storm according to USA Today newspaper Sept 7, 2017.
    The resort website is reporting that the resort is closed until future notice.

Please read the St Marteen Newspaper (SMN) for the most up to date information about the island.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  4. winnipiseogee

winnipiseogee TUG Member

I was exchanging into it through II. When I spoke with II they said that had not gotten a cancellation notice from the resort itself. They were just anticipating the cancellations and offering up a free trade. For what its worth I was really impressed with how helpful II was.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  5. Spanky67

Spanky67 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Little Bay - St. Maarten
    Westin Dawn Beach
    I'm a new owner of a timeshare at the Westin Dawn Beach and not getting information about how damaged they are. Still paying for the timeshare. I inquired about this but was told my loan payments were still in force and I am still a timeshare owner. Does anyone out there have any advice regarding this situation? I understand that they will be closed indefinitely but have not been given any information yet.

6. classiclincoln

classiclincoln TUG Member

What do you want them to do? If you have a car loan and it needs repair, don't you still have to make the loan payments while it's in the shop?

7. pedro47

The Dawn Resort will be completely restored. It is own by Westin correct. Your faith in Westin is very, very weak in my opinion.

8. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    The Dawn Beach Club is associated with the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa, but it is really an independant resort. It is in no way associated with the West and Sheraton Timeshare brand that is owned by Vistana and ILG. I don't know the legalities behind the Dawn Beach Club timeshare, but I suspect it was a joint venture between an investor and perhaps the owner of the Westin hotel that is in Sint Maartin. Westin, Starwood and Marriott don't usually own the properties, they license or manage properties that are owned by others.

9. pedro47

dioxide45, thanks for the correction and correct information. My friend on St. Maartin, email me Sunday night and stated the island is in very bad shape. Travel by auto is very limited, the best travel is by walking or by scooter, if you have gas that is not tainted.
    He is saying that the people needs help and money to rebuild.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    The answer to your question is the same as always: You signed a legal obligation and that has not changed (you'll be notified if it does). If you choose not to honor the agreement, you'll be penalized via collectors, credit impacts and potential judgements (less likely).

If you want to know the legalities and impacts of the loss of use/force majeure etc.... check the contract you signed or someone here could help you find a copy. The terms will be spelled out in the contract.

Sorry for your loss, but not nearly as sorry as I am for the poor people who have lost their homes, their livelihood, their possessions and worse.

11. Spanky67

Spanky67 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Little Bay - St. Maarten
    Westin Dawn Beach
    Rob. I too am extremely sorry for the people on the island who lost way worse that me. And doing my part in how I can help. I am well aware of the contract and legalities. I did want some other feed back and information. I am not alone in this. I have read others who are also just in the process of purchasing timeshares and was inquiring as to what others were and were not doing. If you are a timeshare owner I would assume you too would be concerned if your area/timeshare was affected. Penny

12. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    I apologize if I misread your tone, and yes, I too would be very concerned. I understand your worries and the monetary value of it. Just gonna have to wait and see… I do think it's entirely possible and they decided not to rebuild some of the timeshares and resorts in the islands. Of course, I have no idea about your particular resort ; it's probably likely to be restored and rebuilt and back in operating in a relatively short amount of time. IMHO

Sadly, there isn't much good news for Puerto Rico and the islands these days

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

13. Candace Shaw

Candace Shaw Guest

Resorts Owned:

Hello again Winnie,

Earlier this week, all owners at DBC received a letter from Corporate stating that after insurance review and discussion with investors, they will move forward in rebuilding the DBC timeshares. The tentative date of completion is summer 2019 however that is very tentatively given the situation.

There is a Facebook group for timeshare owners on Facebook and many of us are communicating there. I'm a regular Interval exchanger and hope that you find a replacement trade that is as amazing as Dawn Beach Club and that you will come visit DBC on SXM after it is back up and running again.

We were concerned about the lack of communication from corporate especially since it is located stateside, but we're glad to hear that they met with insurance and were going to continue with renovations.

For other owners watching or commenting on this thread, please find the owners group on Facebook. It is for owners ONLY. We've been talking with each other, discussing ways to help the staff during this exceptionally chaotic and stressful time for them, and just sharing in our love for this resort.

taterhed likes this.
  14. Candace Shaw

Candace Shaw Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Hi there. If you are in Facebook, I recommend going the owners ONLY group for Dawn Beach Club owners. More of us are joining each day and we are holding a lot ofeaningful discussions on all the various issues that have come from these hurricanes.

I also would like to report that all staff from DBC are safe, alive, and accounted for. Some of us continue to keep in touch with them albeit electricity and wireless signals are spotty at best if existent at all.

15. Candace Shaw

Candace Shaw Guest

Resorts Owned:

Correct. DBC is not owned by Westin and is not affiliated with Westin timeshares or Marriott which recently purchased the Westin brand about 2+ years ago.

DBC is its own entity and is owned by Babitbay Development Company which is owned by Columbia Sussex corporation. Babitbay has an agreement with Westin for DBC timeshare owners to use the pool, restaurants, and have access to all accommodations at the Westin hotel including the spa, exercise room, and concierge services. DBC owners were told the Westin is still awaiting decision pending insurance evaluation on whether they will rebuild or not.

Check out the DBC owners Facebook group for more info.

16. RNCollins

RNCollins TUG Member

17. pedro47

Wow! This resort looks liked a war zone after many bombshells struck their targets.

I pray the insurance company and the developers will do the right things for their owners and their employees.

18. pedro47

St. Maarten as of today has open the island back open to the cruise ship industry.

19. forrest6748

forrest6748 TUG Member

For those who have not seen this :

Hurricane Irma Update #2

November 29, 2017

Dear Dawn Beach Owners,

We have been very busy in St. Maarten at the Dawn Beach Club. It has now been a little
    more than two months since Hurricane Irma caused major devastation to the island, the
    Dawn Beach Club, and the Westin Dawn Beach Resort. Since that time we have
    mobilized a force of approximately sixty local staff and a team of specialized support
    staff from the United States to begin the effort of cleaning, demolishing and securing
    the property. They have been hard at work since the end of October and have made
    great progress.
    The property is clean, organized and safe now. Our pool area has also been cleaned up and is being prepared for
    reopening.

The demolishing of the interior of the buildings will still take many months. In the near future we
    will be ordering materials, securing contractors and beginning the reconstruction of the Dawn
    Beach Club. Although there are still many unknowns regarding the time frame to reopen, we are confident that we will be open for
    business by summer of 2019, if not before.

Amenities will include pool and beach furniture, umbrellas, a Fitness Studio, pre arrival concierge to assist with food and beverage
    shopping requests, Sunday evening Managers Reception, live poolside entertainment Monday and Friday afternoons, and Wednesday Night
    S’mores on the Beach.

Within the next few months we will share information regarding the Westin St Maarten Dawn Beach Resort as we receive it.

Many of you have asked about donations to the needy. We are busy now salvaging
    dishes, cutlery, glasses, linens, amenities, and table clothes, We will be
    donating the items to the White and Yellow Cross (St. Martin Seniors
    Home), St. Maarten Medical Center, Safe Haven, Mental Health, Turning
    Point, and the I Can Foundation (Children’s home).

Wishing all of our extended Dawn Beach Club Family Happy Holidays!

20. Ripley62

Ripley62 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Dawn Beach Club,
    Last week we, owners of DBC weeks, received a lengthy third report on the the Timeshare units with a promise the next update would have information about the adjacent hotel that DBC share facilities with, pool, beach amenities ect. The Westin hotel property and Dawn Beach Club have the same owner, the Hotel has been a franchise of Westin. The owner, Columbia Sussex, owns about 40 full services hotels, mostly Marriott brands. I think DBC is its only TS.

The owners are in the process of gutting to the studs both the hotel and DBC units, the update a number of pictures of work already done and spreadsheets units expected interior demo completion. Promised availability of 2 of the DBC buildings is April '19.

Most of the interior damage and need for the total interior rebuild was because of the extended period without power and thus climate control.

Hopefully all will go to plan.

21. jhac007

jhac007 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland, Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Star Island

We traded into Dawn Beach Club a few years ago and really liked the resort. If I recall correctly most of the resort (if not all) was solar powered and it was apparent from higher elevations of the extensive solar systems all across the roof tops. Did these systems get totally destroyed and if so one would assume that the replacement systems are state of the art, high tech?

22. Ripley62

Ripley62 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Dawn Beach Club,
    The solar panels were only on the Westin Hotel buildings, in recent picture they have been removed I’d assume as part of roof repair and building rewiring. The problem with solar panels in a storm/ high wind area is they have tremendous up lift, though it looked like in post storm photos most reminded on the roof.

But I seppect that's not your point. There very likely were just simply not enough capacity in the best case to support A/C demand. The electric demand of A/C that time of year for a building of that volume would take many times the size PV panel system. photos showed maybe 20% of the panels missing with likely a large number damaged and of course there was no over night storage. The missing and damaged panels would be not be a problem if the usage was DC, like on a sail boat, but with AC once 10% to 20% of panels are not producing current the entire system is off line because it can’t produce voltage needed to feed 110v or 220v system (on the Dutch side 110v). The panels are wire in series and in parallel, to both give sufficient voltage to convert to Usable AC then to have capacity to offset some of the electric bill. That is depending on how it’s set up AC system are not tremendously durable system on to of that the panels make perfect wings in high wing aside from not deal with flying debris impact very well. I had to laugh when people said large scale solar was a perfect hurricane prep electric alternatives. Entire hillsides of solar panels were blown away on both USVI and PR. They,re great with battery back up for emergency lighting and device charging in a disaster kit and temp large scale systems can be moved in post storm. But betting on a large scale system to weather a storm and be usable in the near term afterwards is foolish

23. jhac007

jhac007 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland, Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Star Island

Great response!