• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deeded points vs. converted weeks

Smo1990

Reaction score
Would someone mind sharing with me the difference between deeded points and converted weeks. I know what deeded points are but don’t understand the benefits of buying those over converted weeks. Would you buy converted weeks? If no, why not?

antjmar

Reaction score
Converted point can only ARP for the week and unit listed on the deed. Depending on the week (and unit) that can sometimes be more desirable. Often the converted points have a lower maintenance fee if they are prime weeks compared to UDI at the same resort.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Most converted weeks are also at older resorts. Even a well maintained 20-30 year old resort may have overall higher Maintenance issues than newer resorts. They also can have more owner defaults/non performing weeks, that other owners have to cover in their MF's.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would someone mind sharing with me the difference between deeded points and converted weeks. I know what deeded points are but don’t understand the benefits of buying those over converted weeks. Would you buy converted weeks? If no, why not?

The question cannot be answered as weeks converted to points are deeded

If you are asking what is the difference between converted weeks and UDI....

First of all let’s look at how they are the same. They both represent a fractional interest in real property

With weeks the real property is usually one unit at a resort and the fraction is 1/52 or 1/104 (one week/year or one week every other year)

With UDI the real property is the whole resort or a block of units and the fraction is something that looks like this 308/12,345,858,388 where the denominator is the total number of points allocated to the units in question and the numerator is the number of points you own

In there use there is no difference at 10 months. But they differ when it comes to ARP.

Following up on the post above, you get ARP for what you own with the converted week you get ARP for the week and unit you own. With UDI you get arp at the whole resort

Regarding maintenance fees; typically all the two bedrooms at a particular resort will have the same fees for all 52 weeks. But the points allocated for a prime season week will be more than for a value season week. For example I once owned 3 converted weeks at Fairfield Harbor all 2 bedroom units but in different seasons.
one was converted to 105000 points, one to 126000 points and one to 154000 points
The fees for all three were as I recall (when I bought them) $750. Do the math and you see the maintenance fee rates were $7.10/1000, $5.90/1000 and $4.90/1000 respectively

So if you are buying a converted week buy the largest unit in prime season. The 3 bedroom kickoffs at kingsgate were always a good choice

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are the key differences, some of which are mentioned above:

• Converted weeks only give ARP rights to the specific underlying week.
  • Converted weeks are assessed MFs by unit size not number of points. Therefore, prime season weeks have better-than-average $/points ratios vs. the typical UDI deed, while quiet season weeks have worse-than-average ratios.
  • Converted weeks can be withdrawn from the points system; the underlying week becomes yours.
  • Converted weeks can be "un-converted" by Wyndham if you fall behind in MFs.
  • UDI MFs are billed in the year of use. Converted weeks are billed in the year prior. Future year MFs are estimated, and any overage/shortage is carried forward into next UY's bill.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Looking for confirmation of what I think I know.

I have a fixed week converted to points. If at thirteen months before check-in, I call and reserve that week at that resort, will I get my unit number? Or, just any unit of the same type? If I list it for rental, can I state the unit number with confidence?

And, if I cancel that reservation? Any particular results other than points being returned to my account?

antjmar

Reaction score
Looking for confirmation of what I think I know.

I have a fixed week converted to points. If at thirteen months before check-in, I call and reserve that week at that resort, will I get my unit number? Or, just any unit of the same type? If I list it for rental, can I state the unit number with confidence?

And, if I cancel that reservation? Any particular results other than points being returned to my account?
You should get the unit listed on your deed if a true fixed week (not a float week by season). You can actually do this up to 10 months and 1 day before check in. Even if a VIP has requested your unit they will change the VIP's unit to grant you your deeded unit.

Points returned like any other points.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is a fixed unit/fixed week. It is possible that the deed is fixed week/floating unit. I would email the resort; they should know how things work. I would not call; the front desk person probably doesn't, and won't want to relay the message, so is likely to make something up.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If it is a fixed unit/fixed week. It is possible that the deed is fixed week/floating unit. I would email the resort; they should know how things work. I would not call; the front desk person probably doesn't, and won't want to relay the message, so is likely to make something up.

It is a fixed week and fixed unit, one of two I have at the same resort. I've stayed in both many times. I'll call Wyndham when they open again.