• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Destination Point miscalculations?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the moral of the story is to track your point balance before vs after each transaction you make to assure the remaining balances are correct.

Would that be your opinion if your bank didn't let you see the auto deposits or auto payments and made you call and then trust them that the amounts were right?

What would you do if you had an email from that same bank saying you had an auto deposit but the phone rep couldn't see it in your list of transactions?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Would that be your opinion if your bank didn't let you see the auto deposits or auto payments and made you call and then trust them that the amounts were right?

What would you do if you had an email from that same bank saying you had an auto deposit but the phone rep couldn't see it in your list of transactions?
I guess I would be upset with myself for not reconciling my bank account on a monthly basis. ;)

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
This is just a crazy way of doing business.

I called OS once again hoping to get a better answer on whether the reps can see points transferred in an out. The rep had to go into her system. She then went through transfers from 2014. She could not see transactions for all the transfers. I was looking right at the email from MVC and told her I had an email saying I had a transfer. She still couldn't find an notation of the transfer.

I then asked again for a printed statement of all the in's and out's and asked her to ask a supervisor. She came back to say that wasn't possible. That we had to trust the system. We can't see transfers in and out on our online accounts but we can call just like I had done. I then reminded her that she wasn't able to find transfers that I had emails confirming. She said not to rely on the emails, rely on the system.

It's like a banker telling you they can't provide written data for all your account transactions.

I have to say statements like those quoted in red above make me a little 'Orwellian' uncomfortable. Blind trust is just that, blind.

My approach is more in line with Quilter's position of Trust but verify... or at least try to.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it's all balanced. At least to 100 points.

This morning very kind and patient OS rep went through '13, '14 and '15 with me. Without knowing banking, borrowing or transfers I couldn't come up with a starting balance. She got me to the starting balance for 2016. With that I could take over with my online account.

Odd thing about the 100 points. I was supposed to receive a transfer in '18 for 15,000 points. When I went through my '18 reservations the total of transferred points used equalled 15,100. OS reps verified that the transfer was 15,100, not 15,000. Now, at the end of balancing my account I find the total of points into my account since 2013 and the total used for all reservations since 2013 differ by 100. It's the missing 100, but I wasn't supposed to get those 100 in the first place.

Did we lose account history prior to 2016 when the website switched from my-vacationclub.com to owners.marriottvacationclub.com?

I'm still convinced transfers in and out of our account should be in the same location as banking, borrowing and electing.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Did we lose account history prior to 2016 when the website switched from my-vacationclub.com to owners.marriottvacationclub.com?

I'm still convinced transfers in and out of our account should be in the same location as banking, borrowing and electing.

My activity shows transactions dated all the way back to 2014 when we initially bought our ownership, but it looks like only transactions for use years 2016 forward are shown. The 2015 use year transactions are not shown. Stated another way, all transactions for use years 2016-2020 show up online, even if those transaction took place in 2014 or 2015, but no transactions for 2015 or prior years are shown. Those 2016-2020 transactions include trust point deposits, point elections for our enrolled Barony week, banking, and borrowing. No point transfers-in (point rentals) are shown in the history.

I agree that it is a system flaw that transferred points transactions are not shown on the transaction history. Clearly that's the way the system is working, but I think it is a hole in the system that should be fixed. It makes no sense that these transactions should be omitted from the history.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
My activity shows transactions dated all the way back to 2014 when we initially bought our ownership, but it looks like only transactions for use years 2016 forward are shown. The 2015 use year transactions are not shown. Stated another way, all transactions for use years 2016-2020 show up online, even if those transaction took place in 2014 or 2015, but no transactions for 2015 or prior years are shown. Those 2016-2020 transactions include trust point deposits, point elections for our enrolled Barony week, banking, and borrowing. No point transfers-in (point rentals) are shown in the history.

I agree that it is a system flaw that transferred points transactions are not shown on the transaction history. Clearly that's the way the system is working, but I think it is a hole in the system that should be fixed. It makes no sense that these transactions should be omitted from the history.

Thank you for those details.

I know I said the 100 was no big deal but I'm one to balance a checkbook to the penny. I had to try to find it. As I did I found other failings to the online accounting.

My 2016 points in and points out balanced to 0.

In 2017 it wasn't so easy. Points in and points out differed by +2300. There is no line item in the Points Adjustment Transactions that those 2300 were Banked to '18. This shows that the online account, in my case, can't be relied upon for an accurate tally and the "system" can make mistakes.

So I went to tally '18. Points in and points out differ by -2200. Obviously, they came from the 2300 left in '17 although there is no line adjustment saying they did. Here is where the missing 100 shows up. The missing 100 may have been left in '17 and expired. I remember talking to an OS rep about what could be done with points that were past banking but not able to use in a reservation. He suggested I use them as cash at a resort (pennies on the dollar). Either I forgot to use them or I didn't go to a resort in time to use them before expiration. At most it's a $50 loss. I mentally counter that with the value I actually received for the other +20K points. Getting to a 0 at the end of the year is a tricky business.

It also clarified that the 100 points doesn't have anything to do with the oddity of the 15,100 transfer. I can account for all 15,100 transferred points being used in reservations.

Another failing to the online account are obvious errors and their corrections. When I was going through my Points Adjustment Transactions I had to remember to skip over 3 line items that were obviously noted in error and subsequently corrected. Somehow the "system" or operator error noted these by mistake and they had to be removed. This is more indication that mistakes can be made.

In the end, my account balances. It was not an easy process because I had to find OS reps who would bother to look at history that I do not have online nor can I request a print out of this history. The attitude of the OS reps varied widely. This is something I'm going to pursue with MVC by asking for the call recordings be reviewed. I'm also planning to submit in writing the failing that the online account does not note all deposits and credits (i.e., transfers).

The answer that OS reps can provide this is lame. The time involved is enough to make this a problem. The attitude and accuracy of the reps is another problem. I had multiple wrong answers from the different reps I spoke to. Even the sweetheart of a rep who helped get me to a starting balance in 2016 would tally and tally and then tell me she couldn't find 400 points. She had to go to a supervisor and found out it was a transfer. A couple times she said she needed another pair of eyes to look for something. Then she would apologize and say she needed to start again. The call was over 3 hours. In the end she made an error with the accounting of one transfer. She told me it was 1350. After the call I found an email saying it was 1375. I then called two more times to get a rep who would look for this transaction and tell me how many points was actually credited. He found the transfer was actually in two transactions, one for 1350 and one for 25. My sweetheart rep missed the 25. She's still my favorite :)

During this process my numbers and differences have been all over the place. Sometimes because of misinformation or omitted transactions by OS reps or my own math mistakes. I knew it had to be spot on to be accurate. Being a former bank teller I know that an error means something is wrong and it's not necessarily obvious from the difference you're looking at.