• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resorts Rental Cease and Desist Orders

for_ts

Reaction score
Yes, 5 years ago I got one.
I was a mega renter. I now rent a few weeks a year. It's meant for personal use. That's the reason for it.
I got a warning and agreed to lessen my rental activity.

Yes
Did you get a formal Cease and Desist ? When is the worse that could have happened. Could Diamond sue for damage or suspend the account with allowing the use of the remaining points before expiration.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think DRI also gave themselves big raises when they took over the Gold Key resorts. Please share with us anything you can about DRI taking control of your resort.
When Diamond took over Gold Key, the maintenance fees at OBC / Oceanaire (and most of the other Gold Key resorts) jumped 9.6% and then 9.8% in back to back years.

The 2 main reasons for this increase was because of the increase in management fees (the amount Diamond pays themselves to manage the resort) and because of the significant jump in back office expenses (Owner Services and Admin fees). Diamond was originally labeling these back office and Admin fees as Indirect Corporate Costs on the budget. Basically Gold Key was consuming about 18%-19% of the Budget for their Management and Admin services and Diamond is now consuming almost 28% of the budget for those same services.

So when Diamond takes over a resort, from Day 1 when they "walk in the door" there is a increase to maintenance fees just from the significant pay raise that Diamond gives themselves.

On a positive note, I will say that the Diamond Regional GM in Virginia Beach (who started in the spring of 2017) seems to be doing a good job getting the 4 Virginia Beach resorts moving in the right direction. He is approachable, seems competent, and seems to know how to run a high end resort...from infrastructure down to amenities. And like they do in Sedona, Diamond has the major presence in the Virginia Beach market. None of the other major developers have a presence in Virginia Beach outside of hotels.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I believe that owning a timeshare means using it in any way you can. If that means you have to rent it sometimes, you should be able to do that.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I believe that owning a timeshare means using it in any way you can. If that means you have to rent it sometimes, you should be able to do that.
In general all of the disputes where developers have sent out such has been with points systems (Vacation Clubs) that also act to an extent as an exchange system. The only time I have heard of a developer/HOA go after weeks owners renting their weeks has been in Aruba- which is governed by different laws and I am not sure they are "deeded" weeks. In that case it was owners who rented 6+ weeks per year and in most cases 10-20 weeks per year.