• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did you give away or adopt a timeshare on the Bargain Deals forum?

AResident

Reaction score
I want to post here my success story. Only problem is...

...I still have the unit.

:annoyed:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
...I still have the unit.

:annoyed:

I'm not surprised, since I don't see your timeshare listed on the Bargain Deals Forum. ;)

More info.-

There are TWO places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT - SO YOU SHOULD POST IN BOTH AREAS. There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay the 2012/2013 maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple title transfer with no escrow or title search for about $100.) Many Tuggers (including me) have been using Legal Timeshare Transfers, a no frills document preparation company, and they are receiving good reviews on TUG.:

Legal Timeshare Transfers/Ready Legal
Lisa Short and Mary Pless
http://legaltimesharetransfers.com/

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2012/13 for the new owner

4) Instead of paying a fee to a rescue company - consider offering a cash incentive to the new owner.

5) Here is the very important step that most people miss: Come back to TUG once a week and add more info. to your thread - this will bump it to the top of the page.

Good luck!

Last edited:

smrider419

TUG Member
Reaction score
gave away Wyndham Patriots Place 112000 Points

Hi yes i successfully gave away my Wyndham Patriots Place 112000 Ponts we just were not using.

Thanks TUG!!

jubi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave away a Red Week Squaw Valley timeshare to a wonderful family.

Recommend the good folks at readylegal@gmail.com to handle the paperwork. They were recommended on this BBS and I found them to be fast, efficient and fairly priced. Mary and Lisa did their research and went the extra mile for me: transfer complete, though still waiting for the Resort to make the name change.

As a note my resort manager cautioned me that he only recommended their usual servicer (at 3x the price) to work with that County. Don't know what other servicers he's worked with but Ready Legal did a great job.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I recently transferred my Sheraton Desert Oasis EOY 1 bedroom to a TUGer after I had it posted for just a few minutes :) ! This is the second Starwood timeshare I have given away and the whole process went smoothly. It is weird to log onto mystarcentral and only see three intervals now, but I am trying to simplify our lives so this was a step in the right direction. Thanks, TUG :cheer: !

jubi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ready Legal went the extra mile for me again. They really are professional business people. The APN number the resort had was different than the APN number the Recorder had - not clear why. The resort required us to re-record the deed - though not the Recorder. Mary at Ready Legal took care of the correction at their own expense. That's what I call Customer Service.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The APN number the resort had was different than the APN number the Recorder had - not clear why. The resort required us to re-record the deed - though not the Recorder. Mary at Ready Legal took care of the correction at their own expense. That's what I call Customer Service.

What county ? Had a similar issue in Ventura County

pnappleprincess

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave away our Westgate Unit

Gave away our loaded Westgate Town Center 3 bedroom unit. Included 2 banked weeks and owner paid closing and transfer fees.

Details for those interested:

Posted on Bargain Basement on 08/21/2012
First official contact from interested party on 08/23/2012
Official offer 08/24/2012
Sent in completed paperwork to ReadyLegal on 08/27/2012
ReadyLegal sent out drafts on 09/12/2012
Noticed some small changes, notified ReadyLegal who had an updated copy back to us on 09/13/2012.
Mailed back notary signed paperwork and 2 checks. One to ReadyLegal and the other to Westgate (for the transfer fee). 09/14/2012
ReadyLegal received the info and e-filed the deed on 09/17/2012

Westgate officially transferred the name to the new owner on 10/02/2012 @ 12:02PM.

6 WEEKS!!!!!! :cheer:

Westgate did not attempt to exercise ROFR - even though I have heard from many that they try this. WG told me it was because we were giving it away for free - but I have heard other people have had different experiences with this.

My transfer fee was also only $100.00. ReadyLegal had it in their docs that the transfer fee was 150.00 - but mine was only 100.00. We have had ours for a while though.

Hope this information helps another Tugger out there!!!

Last edited:

NMSteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave away two Wyndham Fairfield Bay fixed weeks that we had converted to 210,000 points several years ago. In the ad I agreed to pay half the Wyndham transfer fees. I think I had a response in less than 24 hours. We used Legal Timeshare Transfers which except for a deed error were excellent. Once they discovered the error, they corrected it quickly. Unfortunately, Wyndham takes about two months to process a transfer so I ended up paying maintenance fee for several months but the last property was transferred by October.

rounderjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Giving and taking thanks to TUG

I picked up my very first two timeshares (Wyndham Ocean Walk and Governor's Green) for free in early 2010. Wanting to get my feet wet with RCI points, I picked up an annual RCI points-linked deed at Sunrise Ridge on eBay, essentially for free (RCI and resort transfer costs only, free closing). This was all before I stumbled upon TUG.

As I discovered TUG and points-itis started kicking in, I gave away the Governor's Green Wyndham timeshare and took over another RCI points timeshare at Summer Bay Resort (both through TUG).

This year, I focussed on driving down my maintenance fee/points ratio and picked up two RCI points timeshares through eBay at the Grandview at Las Vegas (the first timeshare I've owned that I've actually stayed at!). I "gave away" Sunrise Ridge on eBay, and was able to find TUGgers willing to take over Wyndham Ocean Walk and Summer Bay after I posted them to the Bargain deals forum and Marketplace.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I gave away 3 timeshares this year.

The first I listed in the "bargain deals" forum and it was spoken for the next day.

The second one found a new owner by using a forum for owners of that resort.

Tuggers here on the bargain deals suggested eBay classifieds as a place to advertise. That is where I found a taker for the third unit.

So this forum helped even though it was not given away directly through this forum.

From reading here I got many good ideas and now I'm down to one TS. It may show up here as soon is I can find the one unit I'm really interested in.

Thanks to all of you who helped.

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave away 130K points at Raintree Vacation Club

To a lovely couple who have booked their first holiday for the new year. I posted earlier this year but warned that I was not eligible to transfer until December 14th - we stayed in communication through the fall and they covered the transfer cost and I enclosed the unused point allotment for 2012, good for another year in club and a year beyond that in RCI.

Congrats to the new owners and thanks TUG!

ginnylbs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave away 144 Points at Monarch Grand Vacations

Sold this 2 months ago - -

The new owner paid the transfer fees of the certificate, but got one year of maint. free as well as the points. It worked great for them as they had some MGV points and wanted more to get an Ocean Front at the Cabo Azul Resort resort - which they absolutely loved. They said their family claimed it was the best vacation they had ever had and want to go back every year. It was a win-win for both of us!:cheer:

UtahStockMom

Reaction score
Raintree unit given away

Gave away a raintree unit. Seller paid maintenance fees upfront, transfer fee, and gave the buyer $500. We can't travel to the locations (too far) and the buyer travels there often so it was a good deal for both of us, I think.

retire06

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Kingsgate Gone

We are in process with Legal Timeshare Transfers to give the Kingsgate time to a nice couple who are new to using timeshares. Thanks for connection.

HarryB

Reaction score
successful give away

Gave away 2bdr Grandview -LV red week essentially for free. I spilt the closing cost/transfer fee with the buyer (I think total was about $120 that I paid).
My 2 cents- ask the potential buyer for a timeframe to work within. If he/she cannot commit to one or tries to make excuses move on and do not waste your time on them, or at the very least do not stop entertaining other potential buyers.
If you are a sincere seller, you will recognize a sincere buyer (thats the hope!!!). I had a wonderful gentleman, firm to his word accept my wonderful offer. I joined TUG BBS in August '12 with the sole purpose of selling/giving away the TS. By November the right buyer showed up and by December the transfer was complete.
TUG BBS is awesome!

Judith Frye

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
a question related to having too many people interested in taking one of my weeks

I'm in the process of giving away my Royal Islander St. Maarten week to someone who has agreed to pay the transfer fee. And I've posted one of my Oyster Bay St. Maarten biannual weeks, and have received numerous inquiries. Here is an "ethics" question for you all: since I have so many people competing for this unit, surely I can use as one selection criterion whether they are willing to pay the full $400 transfer fee. Can I go back to them and ask if they're willing to pay anything beyond that, as a kind of "auction" opportunity, even though I originally said I would give it away for free? Opinions welcome! And thanks to TUG for both this thread and the bargain section of the Marketplace, people have seen my ad in both places and I'm thrilled with the results - I love TUG! Judith

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of giving away my Royal Islander St. Maarten week to someone who has agreed to pay the transfer fee. And I've posted one of my Oyster Bay St. Maarten biannual weeks, and have received numerous inquiries. Here is an "ethics" question for you all: since I have so many people competing for this unit, surely I can use as one selection criterion whether they are willing to pay the full $400 transfer fee. Can I go back to them and ask if they're willing to pay anything beyond that, as a kind of "auction" opportunity, even though I originally said I would give it away for free? Opinions welcome! And thanks to TUG for both this thread and the bargain section of the Marketplace, people have seen my ad in both places and I'm thrilled with the results - I love TUG! Judith

What I think would be fair is if you already agreed to give to someone, give it to that person.

If not and you are dealing with inquires and people hemming and hawwing, just change the ad. Put in the ad that the buyer will pay transfer fee and see who forks out the money first. Let anyone currently considering know that you've changed the ad.

I have found that on TUG, many people will inquire and most really have no intention of ever making a deal.

Judith Frye

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I promised my Royal Islander to someone and have signed the forms to give it to him for free. I am finding much more interest in my Oyster Bay and have not promised it to anyone. The idea of changing my ad, and letting everyone who's interested know, is good. Would people suggest that I put in a fixed price and see who comes closest, or say "highest bid gets it" or what? Thanks for all advice, Judith

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I promised my Royal Islander to someone and have signed the forms to give it to him for free. I am finding much more interest in my Oyster Bay and have not promised it to anyone. The idea of changing my ad, and letting everyone who's interested know, is good. Would people suggest that I put in a fixed price and see who comes closest, or say "highest bid gets it" or what? Thanks for all advice, Judith

Bidding is not permitted on the Bargain Deals forum. You must state the terms, and then stick with them.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bidding isn't allowed, but you could say, "$500. OBO," and take the best offer.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Since you asked for ethical advice here is what I think and what I would do.

The first person who contacted you and is going to give you what you asked should get the unit.

I had a timeshare for sale on Craigs and on eBay classified for long time and on the same day I got emails from each ad from someone wanting to take the unit.

I took the earliest email and we closed the deal. I wrote to the other party explaining that someone wrote to me before them and if it didn't work out they would be next in line. I never gave them a chance to sweeten the deal and I didn't care. I wanted to do it the right way.

I do this with everything I sell on Craigs list too. I know I've priced items too low when I get 6 people wanting to buy in the first few hours. I've had people offer me a little more knowing they were not first in line.

I give the first person to respond the opportunity to buy and write to all the others where they stand in line and that I'll let them know the outcome.

One time it took over a week for the 1st in line to come to look at the item. I had to keep telling others that it's not been settled yet.

When I do finally sell the item I write to all the others and let them know which person in line bought it.

I feel this is the ethical way to do it and the way I would want it done to me.

rwpeterson

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Colorado red summer week

We gave our red summer week to another TUGger for $0. We want to get another week at the Royals in Cancun.