• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disaster Assistance Fund

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Howdy All,

In the Puerto Rico thread I asked if anyone had set up a fund to assist the Hyatt employees impacted by the hurricanes. WalnutBaron asked if I would be willing to do it. So, here goes.

What this is, and is not. My intent of this fund is to help the employees who have been impacted by the recent disasters. It is not to help Hyatt (or ILG) rebuild anything. This is solely intended to help the folks who have been there to help us have a wonderful time while on vacation.

I have never done anything like this, so would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone who knows how to do it.

I am thinking the best way to go about this is to create a seperate bank account (or maybe a PayPal account), have folks contribute to it, contact the properties impacted to find out who could use some help, and then distribute funds from the seperate account. Due to the limited scope of this, I'm not sure setting up a seperate legal entity (ie, 501c3) would be the best way to go. However, having never done anything like this before, I really would appreciate input.

Thank you,
Tim

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'm in, Tim. Since no funds will be used for fundraising or marketing--this is simply a way of collecting money and then sending it back out in its entirety. No need for a 501c3 or anything so elaborate.

For folks who wish to contribute, please understand that you will not be able to declare this as a donation on your tax return. Think of it as "passing the hat" in order to help those who are suffering. Tim, once the account is set up and you have instructions on where to send a check, I will be privileged to give.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
For those who may not be aware of the depth of the devastation on Puerto Rico, this CNN report gives a pretty good look. These people need help desperately.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
WalnutBaron, very happy to have your help! Yes, more pass the hat, not official charity. No funds used for administration, collection, distribution, etc. I do want this to be as transparent as possible so people who contribute see where their funds are going, and how they are helping folks out.

I am going to look at using PayPal for the bank account. I think there is a way to do a charity thing on there where they do not take the 3%, and then funds can more easily be distributed to individuals accounts. This, of course, assumes the recipient HAS a PayPal account, has access to email, etc. This might be too much to hope for folks in PR. I spoke with a coworker who is from there. She said there are a lot of family and friends no one has heard from. No communication, the roads to get to them are gone, and no gasoline to drive.