• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discount Hawaii Car Rental

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We are looking for low renter car rates in Maui for April. A friend mentioned Discount Hawaii Car Rental and when I checked it did have lower prices than I got from Travelocity. Has anyone had experience with this site?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
yes. I use them often. Costco often beats them but this tear they have been less

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
We are looking for low renter car rates in Maui for April. A friend mentioned Discount Hawaii Car Rental and when I checked it did have lower prices than I got from Travelocity. Has anyone had experience with this site?
No. Costco usually has great rental prices for Hawaii. They typically have the cheapest gas...significantly cheaper. It's usuaslly worth the membership for the savings on food and fuel.

We're going to Oahu and Kauai (I realize you're going to Maui) at the end of April. We found the cheapest rates directly from Avis for one and Advantage for the other.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What I suggest doing is make your reservation through whoever you can find the cheapest price. Then register that reservation with AutoSlash. They will monitor it and send you emails when they find a lower price. You have the option at that time to accept one of their prices, or not. You can also use AutoSlash to search for a rental.

I had tried searching with Discount Hawaii in the past, but in my experience Costco always came in cheaper so I haven't even bothered to check with them recently.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beware of using autoslash for booking until you check the rental car company about complaints. We recently got an autoslash much cheaper quote but when we reviewed the unknown to us company decided the grief would not be worth the savings.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Beware of using autoslash for booking until you check the rental car company about complaints. We recently got an autoslash much cheaper quote but when we reviewed the unknown to us company decided the grief would not be worth the savings.
When booking with AutoSlash I always select a company I'm familiar with and have never had an issue. Many times if you want to select a pay ahead option, or choose a less familiar rental agency the prices will be lower. I'm willing to pay a bit more to get a car from someone I'm familiar with.

AutoSlash partners with Priceline and that is who our recent rentals have been through. Again, no problems. We've gotten cars from Alamo and Hertz. They also have an option where you can get a lower price if you are willing to take your chances on who the rental will be with. I don't want to do that as there are a couple of companies in the mix that I'm not all that familiar with.

Currently we have a rental made through AutoSlash and Priceline with Alamo for a midsize SUV, 15 days on Maui in March for $597 all in. When I checked Discount Hawaii their lowest price was around $800.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and if you are using priceline, be sure to go to the site thru the tug links in my sig!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DHCR is a fine company to work with, but make sure they have the lowest rate for the same car. As Luanne suggests, make your reservation, but then shop around some. I normally go with Costco or DHCR, and haven't found a reliable company with lower rates. Usually, between those two, I've found rates I couldn't beat elsewhere without prepaying the reservation. I've not used Autoslash, so don't know whether they really help or not.

Weird tip to try: Shop for auto rental rates on Tuesday mornings. It doesn't always work, but I've often seen lower rates when shopping that day than when shopping on other days. Also, if you're going back to a site you've shopped before, clear your browser cookies for that site before you do. You may find they'll offer a lower rate if they don't know they've seen you before.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
and if you are using priceline, be sure to go to the site thru the tug links in my sig!
Only problem with that is, sometimes the prices are higher going directly through Priceline than going through AutoSlash.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Never an issue with more than 36 rentals made over the past 3 years with Autoslash/Priceline. The rentals are made via Priceline so perhaps the review is a fake review by an auto rental company employee. Always had the lowest price/with Autoslash/Priceline compared to Costco and others.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
DHCR is a fine company to work with, but make sure they have the lowest rate for the same car. As Luanne suggests, make your reservation, but then shop around some. I normally go with Costco or DHCR, and haven't found a reliable company with lower rates. Usually, between those two, I've found rates I couldn't beat elsewhere without prepaying the reservation. I've not used Autoslash, so don't know whether they really help or not.

Weird tip to try: Shop for auto rental rates on Tuesday mornings. It doesn't always work, but I've often seen lower rates when shopping that day than when shopping on other days. Also, if you're going back to a site you've shopped before, clear your browser cookies for that site before you do. You may find they'll offer a lower rate if they don't know they've seen you before.

Dave
And sometimes changing the time of your reservation by an hour or so can make a big change in the pricing.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I just ran a search for Maui this summer via Discount Hawaii Car rentals and my Autoslash/Priceline rental is about $80 to $100 cheaper.

However the first quote is not always the lowest. You have to track with Autoslash, get notified then rebook via Priceline and create a new Autoslash track on the new reservation. It's a bit of work to redo several times but well worth it to ratchet down and save $100 in my slippers.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We use them every year.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
First, if you are just now looking for April you may have already missed finding the lowest prices. I don't remember exactly when I started looking for our rental on Maui in March, but the price I have now we got in December.

That said, I was also given the tip to check up to the day before your rental and many times the price will drop at the last minute. This doesn't mean wait until then to book, it just means to keep checking.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Luanne Great idea to check the day before the rental. I always reserve the "free cancellation, pay at the counter' option. Well worth it for Maui where it can run $400 or more for a standard SUV or full size.

I also have a Vegas trip coming up during spring break that has been quite costly even with Autoslash, so will give it a try.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Luanne Great idea to check the day before the rental. I always reserve the "free cancellation, pay at the counter' option. I don't bother for weekend stays, but well worth it for Maui where it can run $400 or more for a standard SUV or full size.

I also have a Vegas trip during spring break that is quite costly even with Autoslash, so will try this.
I never believed this, or really it was more that I never tried it, as I found I was getting the lowest price about 6 months out. I would keep checking (this was back when I wasn't using AutoSlash). Then on one trip I checked Costco a day or so before we were to pick up our rental and the price had dropped.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I set up Autoslash/Priceline for Maui just after we booked our Hawaii timeshares last Sept. racheted and rebooked several times.

Also set up several reservations for different arrival times because we haven't booked our airfare yet - awaiting Southwest schedule for late June(!) Will cancel extras when schedule solidifies.

Right now I have a Standard SUV from Alamo for $434 for 10 days end of June (peak season) via AutoSlash/Priceline.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I looked every where for a rental car for two weeks in Maui and couldn't believe how high the rates are these days. I recently canceled a discount Hawaiian car rental reservation for about $780 in a compact for an autoslash reservation at about $480 for a compact at Hertz. The reservation says Mazda 3 or similar.

The best rate was through Kehei Car rental in Kehei. It was about $370 for two weeks in a 2011 Altima. I was actually going to go this route but no one would email me the confirmation, even after I called to tell them I wanted the confirmation. I might still go this route but I'm not wanting to wait for a shuttle to Kehei.

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The Chase Ultimate Rewards portal has been my best bet for reserving cars recently. I was using RCI, but the prices on RCI have increased substantially, and the same with SFX.

With Costco, you get a second driver free, which is helpful for some, but not for us because Rick and I go everywhere together, and he does all of the driving on vacation.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The Chase Ultimate Rewards portal has been my best bet for reserving cars recently. I was using RCI, but the prices on RCI have increased substantially, and the same with SFX.

With Costco, you get a second driver free, which is helpful for some, but not for us because Rick and I go everywhere together, and he does all of the driving on vacation.
And with AutoSlash if they know you have a Costco account the second driver is also free. Steve does most of the driving when we are on vacation, but I like knowing I can use the car if I need to. Like like year when he ended up needing to have emergency dental care and I had to drive him back to the condo.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have used DHCR frequently in our travels to Hawaii (annually). For our trips, they usually are cheaper than Costco Travel, and on occasion, 50% to 70% of the Costco rate. DHCR also serves up more options for extra drivers than Costco - Costco might be spouse/other drives free, whereas DHCR often offers two other drivers, without regard to relationship, as long as they are over 25. That's great for us, because we are often in Hawaii with extended family, so that gives more flexibility in car usage.

But it always pays to check around. Sometimes we find the cheapest rates booking direct with a car rental company. Sometimes using DHCR. Sometimes Costco. Sometimes Hotwire. Sometimes Priceline "Name Your Own Price". (I've never seen a Priceline direct rates to be any different from what I can see elsewhere. I always run a search on Kayak to see what comes up there.

Note: if you use Hotwire or Priceline "Name Your Own Price", always check the other sites first so you know that the best available offer is. Then you will know whether the Hotwire offer truly is a discount, and what is the maximum amount you should offer on Priceline.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
When booking with AutoSlash I always select a company I'm familiar with and have never had an issue. Many times if you want to select a pay ahead option, or choose a less familiar rental agency the prices will be lower. I'm willing to pay a bit more to get a car from someone I'm familiar with.

AutoSlash partners with Priceline and that is who our recent rentals have been through. Again, no problems. We've gotten cars from Alamo and Hertz. They also have an option where you can get a lower price if you are willing to take your chances on who the rental will be with. I don't want to do that as there are a couple of companies in the mix that I'm not all that familiar with.

Currently we have a rental made through AutoSlash and Priceline with Alamo for a midsize SUV, 15 days on Maui in March for $597 all in. When I checked Discount Hawaii their lowest price was around $800.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The Chase Ultimate Rewards portal has been my best bet for reserving cars recently.

Chase portal is great.

Chase recently moved to Expedia so wondering how that will affect rates and whether it is viewed by the airlines as a third party purchase or direct revenue. Tried Chase/Expedia for my upcoming Maui and it was $100 more expensive than my current Autoslash/Priceline.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. We usually go to Oahu without getting a car so car rental doesn't matter. Also, we can walk to Sam's where we are members so we are no longer Costco members. I just got $593 for 2 weeks in Maui for April 19-May3 from Discount Hawaii Car Rental for an SUV. That does include Easter week so I thought that was pretty good. I will look into both Costco and Autoslash to see if I can do better. Also, the tip about getting the Costco card that will let us stock up on lower cost food for this trip and another one in December to the Island of Hawaii does make sense since Sam's is not there.