• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discussion about Last Minute Rentals forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The TUG Marketplace is completely separate from the Discussion Forums. As discussed above, you can post for sale and rental Ads for any price there. One of the sections there is for Last Minute Rentals - for any price.

The Discussion Forums Last Minute Rentals is for timeshare rentals of $800 per week or less.

The Discussion Forums Bargain Deals Forum is for owners to give away timeshare deeds - for free.

We have no plans to add a full-price rental section to the discussion forums - as explained multiple times, it would be overwhelmed by commercial renters. That is not the function of the Discussion Forums.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Giving visibility with links as @alwysonvac is suggesting would give more visibility to the LM listings and will draw more people to the marketplace.

I checked the regular LM section out in the marketplace yesterday and found some good deals in there (they just didn't conform to the bargain $ limit - but good deal for a premium property). With negotiation, it might get even better.

I never knew to go to the marketplace because I thought all the LM listings were in the forum and I am not prompted to check the marketplace. The forum is easier to skim.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's the first post on the LMR Forum:
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.34.47 AM.png

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Thanks TUGBrian and DeniseM. I think the increase to $115/nightly or $800/week is a good compromise; thanks for being open to the change. I, too, never realized there was a last minute market place section until reading this thread. I (incorrectly) assumed all Last Minute things were in the forum. I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for all you do!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Seems like a lost cause. I had wanted it to be changed years ago as I had 4 bedroom presidential units or 3 bedroom oceanfront where $100 a night ($99 for guest fee) is not enough to list it.

I have some of these too, but just offer it to friends of mine instead. They are happy to take them at a more reasonable rate.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks TUGBrian and DeniseM. I think the increase to $115/nightly or $800/week is a good compromise; thanks for being open to the change. I, too, never realized there was a last minute market place section until reading this thread. I (incorrectly) assumed all Last Minute things were in the forum. I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for all you do!
The last minute market place section isn't something that someone specifically publishes to. All regular rentals that are within 45 days are also listed there as a subset. Someone could have posted 90 days prior to the start of the 45 days so they may have been listed (or even renewed from an older listing ) 120 days out and may never have listed them think of them as last minute rentals. So even though the red listing calls them For Rent - $ Last Minute Bargains they may not be bargains at all.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
@CalGalTraveler yes I would like to increase visibility on the Marketplace ads.

@TUGBrian
Here’s my last Ideal/Suggestion for this thread.

Can we have a TUG MARKETPLACE BANNER AD inserted on the following webpages:
  • On the main Forum webpage (within the LAST MINUTE TIMESHARE RENTALS section or just before the TIMESHARE RESORT SYSTEM section)
AA4B29BF-26E8-43EC-BC50-DD4F0DBC26B4.png

• Right above the first post on the LAST MINUTE TIMESHARE RENTAL forum
2CF1B2A8-8489-4A48-B7AB-272D257C7DB0.png

The Marketplace ad could be displayed all the time (logged in or not) and could take the user directly to the main Marketplace Page - http://tug2.com/timeshare-classifieds/default.aspx

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there is already a sticky specifically for that right at the top? it was just recently added for this reason (a link to the marketplace had always been in the original sticky post)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
there is already a sticky specifically for that right at the top? it was just recently added for this reason (a link to the marketplace had always been in the original sticky post)

Yes, the new sticky thread definitely helps and is an improvement that should remain.

However lots of folks don’t read the sticky threads. We see this time and time again. They post ads asking for more than the limit and/or too far out in the future. However this isn’t unique to the LMR forum. It happens in all forums. There are questions asked all the time in various forums that are already answered in the sticky threads. And we sometimes refer them back to the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

Maybe it’s just me but the banner ads seem to stand out more than the sticky threads. And I thought this would be an easy fix to get the Marketplace ads more visibility. But I guess it may not be as simple to implement as I thought.

In any event, thanks for listening and being open to suggestions :thumbup:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree with @alwysonvac, people often don't read the sticky threads - even when it says "READ FIRST." IMO, people tend to skim the threads and will refer to the stickies later when deeper reference is needed.

The stickies are extremely valuable, but I think of stickies as taking a deep dive into a relatively static instruction manual for info on how programs work, MFs for each property etc., not for dynamic LM marketplace listings. i.e.

Stickys = Instruction manual
Forums and Subforums (e.g. Bargain Deals) = dynamic listings

The ability to skim the threads quickly for key info in listing headers is what people are asking for. If it can be accomplished in the marketplace and cross referenced to the forums that would make the listings more visible and top of mind.

My .02. Appreciate your openness to suggestions.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I agree with @alwysonvac, people often don't read the sticky threads - even when it says "READ FIRST." People tend to skim the threads and will refer to the stickies later when deeper reference is needed. The stickies are extremely valuable but are more like taking a drill down into an encyclopedia for deeper info on how programs work, MFs for each property etc.

Brian can't fix stupid.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Brian can't fix stupid.

I don't believe it is stupid. It's human nature. When was the last time you read an instruction manual end-to-end before using a new appliance?

FYI...The software industry is throwing out manuals altogether in favor of experiential learning i.e. contextual quick tips, ease of use, and feeding onboarding info in small digestible bites and drill downs. This is reinforcing the learn as you go mentality e.g. have you ever seen a manual for Facebook or Twitter?

(TUG ease of use is fine so not suggesting above)

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Jim, I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you said.

I wholeheartedly believe it!! You don't even have to consider the stickies. How many times a day do we see LMR listings that are deleted by a moderator because they are outside the 45 day limit? That's with the date in BIG RED LETTERS at the top of the page.

Brian and the moderators do a great job keeping folks in line but they can't fix stupid.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we may look at it differently and I agree, Brian and the moderators do a never ending and sometimes thankless job of maintaining order however, simply because a member may not understand or overlook a detail doesn't make that person "stupid".

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To summarize this thread:

•TUGBrian raised the Last Minute Rental Forum max. to $800 per week/$115 per night.

•He also edited the stickies, to clarify the forum Info, and make it easier to find the TUG Marketplace.

I think we have exhausted this topic, so I'm closing the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.