• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do Maintenance fees increase after signing contract?

cdnj

Reaction score
Well whether you bought developer for tens of thousands of dollars or resale for far, far less, this really is true. We haven't paid for hotels, rented houses, etc. for over 15 years. Recently we got curious about the current prices and went online to see what they are. Needless to say we were shocked at the current prices of the places we used to stay before we bought the timeshare.
I agree. Every time we check to see if timeshare is still worth it, it always is. Maintenance fees and all.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Every time we check to see if timeshare is still worth it, it always is. Maintenance fees and all.

Far be it from me to try to talk you out of pursuing timeshare ownership; we use and enjoy our owned intervals.

That said, it appears that you signed up for TUG just a few days ago. Before purchasing, I respectfully suggest looking at the cost of timeshare rentals in those areas and times you would visit and include those figures during any purchase comparison / consideration.

Rentals involve no acquisition cost --- and maintenance fees are forever. Buying just to "trade" (involving eternal maintenance fees, uncertainty, time consumption and exchange fees) is a fool's errand, at least in my personal opinion.

In short, I'm merely suggesting that you look long and hard at all the figures and factors before buying anything.
It's easy to acquire timeshare ownership, but divesting --- not so much. Just proceed carefully and thoughtfully.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Well, DUH! But many DO feel comfortable renting from private parties, or outfits with some rules- like VRBO or AirBnB. and again, even if the rental is more than just the MF, there's no buy-in, exchange fee or membership, or timeshare exit cost. All-in-all, I think renting makes (dollars &) sense in the current environment. Obviously there are exceptions either way, so my advice is to shop carefully, keep your pencil sharp, verify any agreements, and insure your travel if there is more money involved that would seriously impact your life or happiness.
I own many timeshares and for me it has always been cheaper to own ( even if I trade them) then rent plus I have the guarantee that what I own is available every year and has the view I want. For many timeshares the opposite is true. You advice to shop carefully is good.

cdnj

Reaction score
Far be it from me to try to talk you out of pursuing timeshare ownership; we use and enjoy our owned intervals.

That said, it appears that you signed up for TUG just a few days ago. Before purchasing, I respectfully suggest looking at the cost of timeshare rentals in those areas and times you would visit and include those figures during any purchase comparison / consideration.

Rentals involve no acquisition cost --- and maintenance fees are forever. Buying just to "trade" (still involving eternal maintenance fees, uncertainty, time consumption and exchange fees) is a fool's errand, at least in my personal opinion.

In short, I'm merely suggesting that you look long and hard at all figures and factors before buying anything.
I appreciate all advice, especially when it's going to save us money! I did look at renting in Orlando but what I found was very few weeks available in the summer (we have 2 young children) and more expensive than the cost of our maintenance fees. Does renting work out during peak seasons?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does renting work out during peak seasons?

What you can try is to go to TUG's Last Minute Rentals (Rentals Offered) thread:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/

and scroll back to last summer's posts and see what Last Minute Rentals were offered during that time. I haven't checked but I vaguely recall during that time there were a number of LMRs available at $700/week ($100/night). Considering that many intervals in Orlando have MFs north of $850, things just might work out for you during peak season.

Of course the other option would be to post a want ad in the LMR section no more than 45 days before you want to check in. You just might get some owners desperate to rent out their week.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
What you can try is to go to TUG's Last Minute Rentals (Rentals Offered) thread:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/

and scroll back to last summer's posts and see what Last Minute Rentals were offered during that time. I haven't checked but I vaguely recall during that time there were a number of LMRs available at $700/week ($100/night). Considering that many intervals in Orlando have MFs north of $850, things just might work out for you during peak season.

Of course the other option would be to post a want ad in the LMR section no more than 45 days before you want to check in. You just might get some owners desperate to rent out their week.

Last summer, June reservations and some July reservations (I think -- I don't recall when in May Wyndham's changes became effective) could have been priced after a cancel/re-book/upgrade. Comparisons might not be valid. We are unlikely to see consistently the same prices that we saw up to the summer of 2017.

Last edited: