• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do people really pay the TS Resale prices?

Cyndy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been perusing an endless number of timeshare resale sites looking for a unit for my son in AZ and a unit for myself in OR (not sure if I can name the actual places). I am absolutely astounded at the prices that supposed "discount resellers" are asking for the two resorts I'm looking for. They are asking ten times more than what they are going for on eBay.

I have decided to stop wasting my time by looking anywhere but eBay. Of course having said that, it seems everyone is doing the same thing. :)

Just had to inquire about these resale prices. I can only assume it's the individual owners who are demanding those prices as surely, nobody who does any homework at all would actual pay that much!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Lowball?

What happens if you make an insulting low offer for 1 that you're interested in?

Worst they can say is no, right?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Cyndy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I sent three inquiries to postings on Redweek.com last week and not one of them has replied ($14.95 to join for the "privilege" of just asking a question!). One of them I offered them a mere $500 less than asking and still no reply. :mad:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cyndy,

The best deals are not necessarily on eBay. Don't limit your search to Redweek. Use Google and use "<resort name> resales" as your search criteria.

Use the eBay price that you want and make offers to at least 20 different owners or brokers. Show them the completed eBay auctions as examples of market price. You'll get one or more deals.

Better yet, do the same thing except offer $1000 less than the eBay price because you are saving them broker fees. Tell them that. It works for me.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think many of the overpriced brokers are hoping someone comes out of a developers pitch. find thier website, see it for 25% less and they buy.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I don't feel that ebay is the real resale price. It is the price for someone who needs to sell this week, but I wouldn't sell any of my TS at those prices.

I think most people think they can sell for about $1000 more than ebay. So if you find a TS on ebay for $1000, most people selling that same TS will expect at least $2000. But as you pointed out there are some people who want 10x the ebay prices. And your right they are dreaming.

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go EBay!

I don't belive the low prices I have gotten on EBAY. It's really worth the hassel to wait untill what you want comes up for auction.I have seen just about every resort in Arizona on EBay so if thats where you want a timeshare EBay will have it sooner or latter.

Cyndy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that when you look at the prices you can get on eBay, it is well worth it to be patient. I am just so surprised to see the resorts my son and I are looking at on eBay listed on resale websites for at least 8-10 times more. It's great if you are the Seller and can get those prices but as a buyer, one thing I have learned on TUG is to look for bargains!

I am looking for a resort in Oregon that seems to be a little harder to find and as luck would have it, I was outbid this week by $100. Oh well! :D

gobajanow

Reaction score
I think what often happens is folks come home with buyers remorse, list their TS, only to discover it isn't worth much at resale. Rude awakening. Then some sadly sell for pittance and take big loss or learn to live with a timeshare...and mabye even make a good batch of lemonade with it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I track only Westin mandatory resorts and I have to say the best prices show up on eBay - however, even there you will find a lot unit auctions with no bidders either because they are asking too much, they don't represent the unit/property correctly (amazingly...), or have set a reserve price or a starting bid price that is too high.

Recently, there was a Westin St John (1 Bd premium, low season) on eBay that actually had 44K StarOptions associated with it although the ad stated that it had only 30.5K StarOptions. That is a big difference in SOs and eventhough I pointed it out to the broker - they made no attempt to change it. Needless to say, they never hit their reserve because some people were bidding on it probably thinking it had only 30.5K SOs came with it - and others (like me) were hoping that they weren't aware of what they were selling and was trying to get a bargin.

I see all the time by that identical units that have big price differences - best advice is too watch and research. This was a lesson-learned by me - I could have saved $5000 on my WKORV resale purchase with a bit more patience. Luckily I found TUG.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you are probably seeing are sites that are in the business of listing TS resales NOT actually selling them. They sell the lie to the person that wants to dump their TS pointing to the higher rates they are "getting" on their site. For a small up-front fee of just $500 your TS can be listed here and you'll go great!

Cyndy said:
I have been perusing an endless number of timeshare resale sites looking for a unit for my son in AZ and a unit for myself in OR (not sure if I can name the actual places). I am absolutely astounded at the prices that supposed "discount resellers" are asking for the two resorts I'm looking for. They are asking ten times more than what they are going for on eBay.

I have decided to stop wasting my time by looking anywhere but eBay. Of course having said that, it seems everyone is doing the same thing. :)

Just had to inquire about these resale prices. I can only assume it's the individual owners who are demanding those prices as surely, nobody who does any homework at all would actual pay that much!

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
blujahz said:
eBay - however, even there you will find auctions with no bidders because they don't represent the unit/property correctly

blujahz, Please excuse the paraphrase.
Also, a lot of adds are just poorly put together. This is especially a problem with resorts that have special cercumstances.

I did an auction a couple months back where I really did a poor job of selling both with the auction layout & answering questions (You really find out how much you know about a resort in that situation). Poor PA must have gotten 20 emails from me that week. The result was I got a few "just in case" bids from folks unsure of what they were getting, thus no sale.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
have you looked on

www.myresortnetwork.com

also put in the resort you want in yahoo and ask for resales...

then as someone put it - just offer alot this - now if you are dealing with a broker then they won't forth it to their clients.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cyndy said:
Actually, I sent three inquiries to postings on Redweek.com last week and not one of them has replied ($14.95 to join for the "privilege" of just asking a question!). One of them I offered them a mere $500 less than asking and still no reply. :mad:
500 less on a 20K Marriott is a big step from 500 less on a 1000.00 timeshare. Quantify your budget and what you're looking for, at least in generalities, so not to appear as a wanted ad.

IME, at least with Marriott's, eBay is a pretty good indicator of the resale market. Of course, there are anomalies ;)

I'd say you're on the right track. FWIW, I've had people throw offers at me for NCV that were 50% off my rental price. IMO, it was no insult to them that they got to eat a silence sandwich :)

Pat

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cyndy- I either don't understand your question or the rain is starting to sog your brain. If you're looking for a reasonably priced timeshare in Arizona, get in contact with Peggy Holmes at www.TimeshareAZ.com . I've purchased two from them at, stupid me, what I think was a great price.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales Prices

I think this post fits. Have you seen the advertisement for Timeshares Only
on TV. " They got us our price b/4 the next payment was due"

Cyndy

TUG Member
Reaction score
nightnurse613 said:
Cyndy- I either don't understand your question or the rain is starting to sog your brain. If you're looking for a reasonably priced timeshare in Arizona, get in contact with Peggy Holmes at www.TimeshareAZ.com . I've purchased two from them at, stupid me, what I think was a great price.

I am not sure how to take your remark about not understanding my question or the "rain is sogging my brain"? :(

The intent of my original question was simply to state how surprised I am that with the prices you can buy a timeshare for on eBay, I don't understand the high prices I find on other sites, comparatively speaking. My son is looking for an AZ timeshare (not me) and I will pass on your information about Peggy at TimeshareAZ.com.

geekette

Reaction score
Some sellers think that they should be able to get back the same money they paid the developer. Maybe people do buy at those prices from the internet, too, I don't know. You are right: someone that does their homework wouldn't pay more than they have to. But.... some people would rather pay more to deal with what they think is a legit company than to buy from an anonymous ebay seller. Brokers have to get their commission...

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cyndy said:
The intent of my original question was simply to state how surprised I am that with the prices you can buy a timeshare for on eBay, I don't understand the high prices I find on other sites, comparatively speaking.

Cyndy:
eBay is distress sale. People put on eBay as the last resort. They have to sell. And they are hoping with the traffic eBay gets, they can get what they want. Look at other places that has less traffic, most people will put higher reserve amount. The other place, people sell to satisfy certain need, that may not get at all.

Although with the special charateristic of TS, there is little risk in buying a TS property in distress or unseen, so eBay actually become market.

Jya-Ning

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Jya-Ning said:
eBay is distress sale.

People tend to think that. But that's a misimpression, just because of the disparity in pricing between ebay prices and listing prices. Ebay sales prices are actually pretty close to fair market value for the timeshares. If there is a difference, ebay is likely no more than about 10 percent cheaper than you would get if you listed the property and waited for a year or two before selling.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc said:
People tend to think that. But that's a misimpression, just because of the disparity in pricing between ebay prices and listing prices. Ebay sales prices are actually pretty close to fair market value for the timeshares. If there is a difference, ebay is likely no more than about 10 percent cheaper than you would get if you listed the property and waited for a year or two before selling.

That's right, because most people savvy enough to shop for a used timeshare on the internet on non-ebay sites are going to be aware of ebay prices, aren't they? So by definition, that makes ebay prices the market price.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use FF as example. Each year, it adds 10% new owners in. That is 30K new owners buying in retail price. Each day, eBay is closing the most 10 deals in FF. That is 3,650 or 3K compare the market size. Just because it is much much cheaper, does not mean the other market does not exist.

Most people I know don't like take loss. To take loss, the majority has one reason and that is they are in distress.

Just because most Tug buy them when someone is distress but then can sell them in flip for profit does not make that market not distress any more. It is the quickest way to get rid of a real estate if you want to.

JMHO

Jya-Ning

BradC

Reaction score
Seems to me if you have an auction scenario (with good public access and open bidding), then the auction sale price (i.e., the highest price the public is willing to pay for that commodity) is, by definition, the market price.

If the market price was actually higher, then the public would be wiling to bid that amount in an auction.