• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

does anyone have any information on refinancing a timeshare that is deeded.

dollface0209

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate town center
i need information on refinancing my timeshare property.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Many people take out a credit card offering no interest for a year or 18 months and transfer the balance.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As you can see, the timeshare has no or very little residual value, so it is not really a refinance. It is like moving a credit card balance from a card with a high interest rate. Unsecured debt is what it is.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Take a personal loan from your Bank or Credit Union. Normally these have to be paid back in 3 to 5 years.

dollface0209

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate town center
Take a personal loan from your Bank or Credit Union. Normally these have to be paid back in 3 to 5 years.
My principle is over 80,000. I'm in a 30 yr. fixed mortgage now. 3 to 5 years is very high. Is it possible to refinance timeshares.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With $80,000 in principal, you probably need to take out a second mortgage. Problem with that is you could lose your house if you can't pay. Timeshares are a luxury item that shouldn't be financed. If you can't afford to buy without financing you probably should not have bought. It's likely your deeded timeshare is worth less than $10,000 so no, no one will refinance based on the value of the deeded timeshare.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
i need information on refinancing my timeshare property.

Your profile indicates owning within Westgate. Considering the fact that Westgate ownerships have relatively little resale market value, I find myself wondering why you would pursue refinancing a $80k principal debt on a Westgate ownership instead of considering just walking away from Wastegate entirely (...yes, I realize that there would be negative credit report consequences and that indisputable fact is certainly a legitimate concern).

Your personal financial situation is certainly none of my business --- and I am not asking about it. I am merely pointing out that if you have a loan with a $80k balance due with Westgate on something of little value in the resale marketplace, you might want to consider more options other than just refinancing. You might even want to consider an initial consultation with a licensed attorney in your area to discuss and examine options. :shrug:

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
When did you buy? A long shot I am guessing but if you are still within the rescission period you should rescind asap.

Just noticed you wrote that you have a 30 year mortgage with your timeshare. I was not aware that that could even be done. Longest I had heard was 10 years. As stated before by someone else, this is really unsecured financing.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Below are a few timeshare refinancing options that Tuggers have found. YMMV I have never used these services and they may not finance a Westgate given no resale value - these services work for Disney, Marriott, HGVC etc which have some residual value.

https://www.vacationclubloans.com/

http://timesharelending.net/Financing

Disney only:

https://monerafinancial.com/loan-application/

P.S. I would NOT secure it with your home if you might walk away from it in the future as @theo suggests. Better to walk away with a loan from the timeshare company (they get defaults all the time with their self-financing and simply take back the inventory) or a signature loan than to lose your home. Also do not pay any services upfront to rid you of your timeshare as they are scams.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My principle is over 80,000. I'm in a 30 yr. fixed mortgage now. 3 to 5 years is very high. Is it possible to refinance timeshares.

If the $80,000 is the debt on your TS, I'd consider defaulting and trying to negotiate after you default...

George

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With an $80,000 debt the only timeshares that come to mind are Wyndham, after several up sells, or Vidanta, again after more than one up sells although the sell more RTU than deeded. I can't really think of any others that would have that kind of retail cost for a single deed.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
With an $80,000 debt the only timeshares that come to mind are Wyndham, after several up sells, or Vidanta, again after more than one up sells although the sell more RTU than deeded. I can't really think of any others that would have that kind of retail cost for a single deed.

The newest HGVC's in HI, Marriott's, Hyatt Kaanapali and possibly Disney and Vistanas are all selling north of $100k.

My theory is that the latest developer strategy is to charge outrageous prices so that people will need to finance. The financing locks them in for 10 years and keeps most resales off the market for 10 years reducing resale supply. This keeps current owners happy (e.g. dev sales will say, "See how happy people are because there are so few resales?" or "See how the resales hold their value?") Once the financing is paid off expect the values to crash to earth in 10 years as supply explodes with owners selling then developers recoup the inventory via ROFR for cheap.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S. Better to walk away with a loan from the timeshare company (they get defaults all the time with their self-financing and simply take back the inventory) or a signature loan than to lose your home.

I certainly agree that getting one's home involved in any timeshare loan matter would be supremely unwise.

I am inclined to doubt that all timeshare companies have "self-financing" on developer-direct purchases.
I know that Wyndham does, but I am not at all sure about other "chains". :ponder:

wrk2travelalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solaz
does any one have any information on Lightstream as a time share loan company

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
does any one have any information on Lightstream as a time share loan company
You should NEVER!!! finance a timeshare! There are plenty of them for $1 or less on eBay.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm guessing that the poster bought a timeshare from the developer and now wants to re-finance it.

But if you are financing a new purchase - don't do it!