• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone rent on TUG Marketplace anymore?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
so you want to view every single rental at once? or do you mean for a specific area? with thousands of rentals, id think displaying every detail of every one at the same time would probably serve to be very difficult (or be a very large drain on the server).

for just a specific area or resort, this is very easy to do...and i think perhaps offering a setting that allows for all ads to be "expanded" by default might be an option we can do!

By resort but broken out by rentals and resale listing for each property. Look on Redweek for inspiration.

Drill down by geo then list of resorts then each resort by resale or rental list.

Right now I get every TS in a city. I can sort by resort name but still too much rental vs. resale combined. Overwhelm.

Plus too much having to open ads to cull. The oyster analogy applies.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
we actually do have this on both the resales and the rental pages (the 5 most recent rentals are listed)...

https://tug2.com/timeshare-rentals/
https://tug2.com/timeshare-resales/

although I suppose we could add more there, or make a link for "newest rentals" that displayed more of them vs having them all load every time on that page

I think perhaps just showing 5 or 10 on that page, and then making a link to "newly listed rentals" that displayed say the last 50 posted rental ads in thumbnail format like that would be an easier/better solution?

I am actually suggesting that this be added to the Forum because I never even get to these other pages because I go directly to the forum and it's a separate login so forget.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
:wall:
hmm...

Well thats not good! this should only happen when clicking on reviews, as thats the only part that requires login.

here is the most recent newsletter, which links are you clicking on for ads that take you to the login page instead so that i can try to duplicate and figure out what is happening there.

https://madmimi.com/s/e4266d

Hmm... now that I have publicly complained about it I can't duplicate it... maybe just user error...:wall:

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
In the past when I put something out on the TUG marketplace I had either two results: 1) crickets (no one contacted me) or 2) someone bothered me endlessly to rent the the unit they wanted for the $100 per night LMR rate.

I had someone pester me for 6 months. I was renting Thanksgiving in Hawaii in a 2 BR. They kept bothering me even when I asked them to stop. Their argument was they always did this and always got what they wanted for the $100 per night fee. They were on a budget and that was all they could afford. Why they kept bothering me was they felt that I would have to give it away at some point.

Even when I explain it was a point booking that I could cancel and carry over to the next year, either they didn't get it or didn't care. Clearly they had learned that people will rent to them for less than the MF as people with fixed weeks and no users get desperate.

I refused on principle. I refuse to supplement someone else's vacation on my $$. But I am afraid there is those out there that we have trained to behave like this.

I have had better luck on Redweek or VBRO where people have better expectations and are less rude about it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I am actually suggesting that this be added to the Forum because I never even get to these other pages because I go directly to the forum and it's a separate login so forget.

we can add links to pages anywhere, ill see if we can add to the "marketplace" drop down at the top of the forum for links to these specific pages.

I added 4 quick ones, if there are any others you prefer let me know, its easy to add!

upload_2018-12-10_20-42-9.png

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
....Is this going to turn into another discussion about why the LMR forum should be changed or kept as it is? .....
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have discussed it here. I actually don't feel all that strongly about changing the LMR rules.

One rental I do is Comic Con in downtown San Diego and my other is a fixed week Labor Day weekend at Carlsbad Inn.....
Thanks very much for the information. I have a follow-up question I'd like to ask you. But, I've already "hijacked" this thread enough! So, I plan to send you a PM.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
we can add links to pages anywhere, ill see if we can add to the "marketplace" drop down at the top of the forum for links to these specific pages.

I added 4 quick ones, if there are any others you prefer let me know, its easy to add!

View attachment 9374
Wow, now that is quick Customer Service! I wish it were that easy to get other businesses to make improvements to their websites!

I'd say the thing I would like most on the TUG marketplace is for rentals to be displayed separately from sales. Maybe they could just be sorted as rentals first, then all the "for sale" listings? That is how Redweek does it, and it seems to work.

As for my overall thoughts on the TUG Marketplace, even though finding the rental or sale you want can be difficult, listing there is very easy. (In contrast to, say, AirBnB, where listing is a nightmare.) So, I find it well worth my while to list there, even though I get fewer replies than from most other sites where I list. Plus, TUG members get a bunch of listings for free. And on the TUG Marketplace you don't have to constantly "bump" your ads, as you do on Craigslist.

Actually, I just ran out of Ad Credits for the first time a few days ago, so I bought some more. Hey, it's only $3 for the TUG Marketplace, and Redweek is $30. (And eBay is 10% of the rental price plus a listing fee -- yikes!) $3 for a TUG Marketplace listing is a good deal.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree on it being easier to sort/filter thru rentals and resales...ill be sure that gets added as I dont see it being a difficult filter to add.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past when I put something out on the TUG marketplace I had either two results: 1) crickets (no one contacted me) or 2) someone bothered me endlessly to rent the the unit they wanted for the $100 per night LMR rate.

I had someone pester me for 6 months. I was renting Thanksgiving in Hawaii in a 2 BR. They kept bothering me even when I asked them to stop. Their argument was they always did this and always got what they wanted for the $100 per night fee. They were on a budget and that was all they could afford. Why they kept bothering me was they felt that I would have to give it away at some point.

Even when I explain it was a point booking that I could cancel and carry over to the next year, either they didn't get it or didn't care. Clearly they had learned that people will rent to them for less than the MF as people with fixed weeks and no users get desperate.

I refused on principle. I refuse to supplement someone else's vacation on my $$. But I am afraid there is those out there that we have trained to behave like this.

I have had better luck on Redweek or VBRO where people have better expectations and are less rude about it.

Yes, I agree that people have "learned that people will rent to them for less than the MF." When they go into their spiel about always getting what they want for the $100 per night fee (or some other low-ball figure), I "show them the door."

I have had similar situations as yours. Like you, I'm finding rudeness has become more prevalent. Also like you, "I refuse to supplement someone else's vacation on my $$." I will negotiate on pricing, but you better come to the table without the rudeness and expectations. I had a couple of situations this past summer where I would have rather lost the weeks than rent to the people that approached me in an obnoxious manner. With that attitude (rather lose than deal) and waiting it out, I ended up renting those weeks to others for a fair price.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good for you in sticking with your guns. It is one thing to ask politely because you never know, but quite another to be rude and expect it.

IMO if they are this rude upfront, imagine how they would react if there is an issue.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
I get some interest on my TUG Marketplace listings, but I agree it's not a particularly good interface.

I know the $100/night limit on the Last Minute Rental board has come up a lot, and the decision has been to keep the $100/night limit. I think this is the first I've ever seen a proposal for a second, "premium" Last Minute Rental board, though. This sounds like a good idea. People who don't want to look at prices over $100/night wouldn't have to.

The premium board could be 45 days or less, like the LMR board. The rule could be that people could recover fees only -- maybe annual fee, any fee for putting in a guest name, and a maximum of 3% to cover PayPal fees. If any premium listings seemed to have a price over that, the owner could be asked to document the annual fees. Probably other TUG members would be easily able to spot most weeks that were listed for more than the limit.

The two boards could be called maybe "Budget Last Minute Rentals" and "Premium Last Minute Rentals." People who own expensive weeks would have the option of listing for $100/night on Budget Last Minute Rentals, which would probably get more traffic, or "Premium Last Minute Rentals." A single week could only be listed on one board at a time. Perhaps there could be a way to remove listings from "Premium Last Minute Rentals" if any owner decided to lower their price to $100/night, or the thread on the "Premium" board could be locked so that it would fall off the front page.

Buzglyd, can you tell me what you mean? Do you email previous renters once you have booked your weeks for the upcoming year, and offer them "first dibs" on weeks similar to those they booked previously?

I think the $100 cap has been around fo many years. Maybe it is time for TUG to raise the LMR amount to $150. The guest can always say no, and, move on to something else. My maintenance fees are up more than 50% over the last 7 years.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The attitude of "Something is better than NOTHING" is very common to bottom feeders .. IMHO. They will NOT be back to rent for the cost of the MFs ever .. .they KNOW how smart they are. And be very careful in listening to "sob" stories ... you are tryng to pay your MFs and other related expenses.

The grocery store does not sell steak for the price of hamburger ....

PS I have rented a timeshare or two over the years. I once had a regular guest who email me and asked if a person she knew had rented a certain unit from me AS this person was bragging about the cheap rate she got from me. She NOW felt I had been charging her too much in the past.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
..... I will negotiate on pricing, but you better come to the table without the rudeness and expectations. I had a couple of situations this past summer where I would have rather lost the weeks than rent to the people that approached me in an obnoxious manner. With that attitude (rather lose than deal) and waiting it out, I ended up renting those weeks to others for a fair price.
I actually had this happen to me just this past week. Someone wanted a week of mine for $475 when my MFs were just about $1000. And, this was for a Christmas week in a popular Christmas destination. When I said no, they gave me an argument about how they had rented the same resort for $475 in the past. I told them they had probably been given an RCI or II weekm and were lucky it didn't get cancled. I have since rented my week to someone else for my asking price.

...IMO if they are this rude upfront, imagine how they would react if there is an issue.
I agree. I worry that people who offer rude low-ball offers may also trash the room. I'd rather have it sit empty and eat the entire MFs than rent to someone like that.

...And be very careful in listening to "sob" stories ... you are tryng to pay your MFs and other related expenses...
I get the sob stories too, about how they have very little money and want to give their kids a vacation. I just say I can't afford to rent at the price they are offering. But, I am also thinking two other things:
1) I regularly donate money to humanitarian organizations. Why should I spend my money subsidizing the vacation of some kid I don't know, when I could use that money instead to save the lives of children in Africa?
2) If they can't afford to cover the MFs, how will they pay for transportation costs, the cost of ski lift or theme park tickets, etc.? If they are really as broke as they say, I'd expect they would take a cheaper vacation instead. When I was little, all of my family's vacations were spent in a state park, usually in a canvas tent. I'm too old and worn out to sleep on a tent floor now, so I'm glad my family did lots of camping when I was a kid. Those camping trips were great!

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
From my understanding the $100 a night has been the same since it was created on tug. 20 plus years now.
I beleave it serves a different purpose today for tug than it did when it was created years ago do to technology.

I think if we could go back in time and listen why things were put into place at one time it sure could open up our eyes.
Like social security, or today's word "entitlement", all depends on who is benefiting from said rule at the time.

Key factor here is it is not our websight to change, just use.
I use it to the best of my ability to benefit me, and others use it to benefit them. Just like anything in life. If I'm selling I want as much as I can get, but if I'm buying I want it as cheap as I can get.
I always felt that a great deal would be if if I could get a vacation at your cost, I win. Some are still $600 Most are more- $1200 - $1800 MFs and more in many cases now. We all felt that it was a reasonable amount vs renting or we would not have purchased the timeshare to begin with. It's not practical to complain because prices go up. It costs money to keep these at standards we require.
I bet 20 plus years ago very few payed over $700 MFs for timeshares. If you did it was a special place. Mine was $480 in 1997 and 2019 is $1049 plus membership / booking fees, and every other charge they can dream up.

I learn on tug, and grow. We all have opinions, not all the same.

Thankful to be a member

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I agree with the OP who said with the increasing maintenance fees $100 a night sometimes isn't enough anymore. Rather than increase the cap in the current last minute rentals could there be another category of LMR with maybe a $150-$175 cap? There are a lot of resorts with maintenance fees in the $1000-$1200 a week range and that would be enough to cover it.

I can see the problems and why Brian might be very hesitant to raise the cap. The reason I'm suggesting another category of last minute rentals is because if you raise the cap in the current category we are going to see too many owners who actually think they will get the max amount for their week. Unfortunately for some people who own at certain resorts you can rent stays at those resorts so cheaply on eBay that nobody who knows better will pay them even $100 a night. They often can't even cover the maintenance fees for their week when they try to rent. But these are the very people who when they see higher limits will likely have unrealistic expectations about what they can get for their week.