• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does owning a timeshare let me register my car in that state?

VABoyMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some friends/neighbors of ours own a timeshare in Orlando. They said they were able to register their cars in Florida (legally!) so that they wouldn't have to pay property tax in VA (for us would be well over 2k a year - which would be worth it alone!)

Does anyone know or have experience with this? Is that true?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask your friends WHAT address they use on their license? And how many forms of ID did the need (Post 9-11) to provide residency on the state to get that license? Must be first licensed to register cars in most states.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The answer is wait until they get audited...

While residency requirement for every state is slightly different, some requiring X number of days lived in the state while others considering where the person's primary residence is supposed to be.

Timeshare in a different state would fail either test.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah this doesn't seem like a good plan. Asking for Tax Audit trouble!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some friends/neighbors of ours own a timeshare in Orlando. They said they were able to register their cars in Florida (legally!) so that they wouldn't have to pay property tax in VA (for us would be well over 2k a year - which would be worth it alone!)

Do they own 27 straight weeks there in Orlando? If so, then maybe they could, but I sincerely doubt that they spend more than six months per year there (or own 27 straight weeks!).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Tax Fraud.
What does registering a vehicle in FLA have to do with paying property tax in VA? They are two different things. Paying property tax has to do with number of days of occupancy in the place of residence in a particular state - not where you can register a vehicle.

Or are they taking about taxes paid for the vehicle and not residence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Tax Fraud.
What does registering a vehicle in FLA have to do with paying property tax in VA? They are two different things. Paying property tax has to do with number of days of occupancy in the place of residence in a particular state - not where you can register a vehicle.

Or are they taking about taxes paid for the vehicle and not residence?
In Colorado, a major portion of our annual vehicle registration fee is "ownership tax". A newer car's annual registration renewal can include over $1,000 in ownership, if it is a nice car. Maybe that is what they are talking about?

In either case, I agree -- its tax fraud, plain and simple.

Kurt

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Googling the question and reading the Florida DMV page would indicate your friends are breaking the law.

Dave

VABoyMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Colorado, a major portion of our annual vehicle registration fee is "ownership tax". A newer car's annual registration renewal can include over $1,000 in ownership, if it is a nice car. Maybe that is what they are talking about?

In either case, I agree -- its tax fraud, plain and simple.

Kurt

Maybe this is what they are referring to - she assured me what they were doing was legit and they DO drive nice cars. Avoiding personal property tax seemed crazy to me (everyone would do it, right?!) so that makes sense. Thank you! Sounded too good to be true (and legal lol)

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I wonder if VA has a bounty on tax cheats:D

Cheers

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I wonder if VA has a bounty on tax cheats:D

Cheers

I don't know but I see a lot of Maryland plates in neighborhoods -- not through streets.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that it's the residency of the vehicle that determines the tax state.

If you live 50 weeks in VA but keep a car in FL all year, you can register it in FL, thus not pay tax in VA.

The problem is when you keep the FL car in VA most of the year.

We live in a resort town in CT and there are many cars kept there more than 27 weeks registered in FL.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I just texted our son who works for a major insurance company and he said that some states are stricter than others about doing this. He said there are a lot of snowbirds who do it. As Florida residents we see a lot of snowbirds who keep a car at their place here.

I thought most insurance companies required you to have your vehicle normally garaged/parked at your place of residence. Claiming a timeshare or any other place as your residence when the vehicle isn't maybe even ever there might constitute insurance fraud if you were filing a claim.

Back in the 70's when I moved from Ohio to Erie, PA there was a lot of industry in Erie. It wasn't unusual for men who worked in the shops/plants to have older or junk cars, "beaters", they drove to work that they registered in Ohio so the cars didn't have to pass Pennsylvania inspections. If you worked at Hammermill Paper Co. and a couple of other places, they discharged stuff that was hard on the finish of cars so it didn't make sense to drive a nice car to work.

I think I must be I missing something. If you own a house you pay property tax on it regardless of where you live or even if you live in the house. Now if they are declaring Florida as their state of residence for state income tax purposes that would make a difference. Florida doesn't have state income tax.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I registered one of my cars in Arkansas using a friend's address. Reason was that it was an old Mustang that wouldn't pass State Inspection in Texas without spending a lot of money on it and Arkansas didn't require a State Inspection. Car was driven maybe 3,000 miles yearly and never set foot in Arkansas.

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Funny you ask.

In Florida, you don't actually require a fixed address for registration. If you're homeless, you can register you car....and list the place it's most frequently parked as your residence/address.
But..... normal registration requires ownership/residence in the state unless affiliated with military or other specific reasons.

Virginia would/will be quite interested in how one of it's residents does not have a complete tax profile for state/local/personal property/real estate taxes.
Of course, Florida might well wonder the same thing.

Cross-registered homes/autos/property/income/residence taxes and registrations etc... will eventually catch up with them if they're not careful and not filing partial-year returns. The fees, fines and late charges far-outweigh any possible benefit. Fairfax, Arlington, Falls Church etc... all have 'out of state' license programs targeting those residing in county without a Virginia license. Ditto for DC and MD. Ever heard of a 'plate reader?'

So, the answer is NO: you can not legally pick and choose where you would like to register your car, your state residency etc... based on a whim.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
State of Washington, especially the Vancouver area, is aggressively going after people that live in Washington but register their cars in Oregon to save on vehicle taxes and registration fees. When caught they have to pay Washington the correct vehicle taxes, registration fees, and a big fine.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
In greedy Connecticut the vehicle doesn't even have to be registered to to be taxable, just kept in the state. This law was enacted because people would cancel and re-register cars and motorcycles to save on property taxes.

I know someone that pays tax on an antique car with no plates because it's parked on his woman friends property.

After i sold a motorcycle and turned in the plates, I went to the town to get it taken off of the tax roll. The clerk asked for proof that I sold it. I had to go back to the buyer and get a copy of the bill-of-sale to satisfy her.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that it's the residency of the vehicle that determines the tax state.

My drivers license has my residence in state A (along with real estate and a vehicle). I have another car registered and residing in state B. Neither state has a problem with the situation because I'm not moving the cars back and forth between the states. This supports your argument of the vehicles residency being the determining factor.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that the first post refers to not paying property tax - not car registration. Two entirely different things.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please note that the first post refers to not paying property tax - not car registration. Two entirely different things.
His post did SAY property tax, but the jist of it was registration. Nobody pays $2,000 a year property tax on a vehicle, but registration...possibly. Especially if they have several cars.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Well sort of. In CA you pay a total amount to "register" your vehicle. There are two parts. The first is the registration fee, the second is the licensing fee. The second part is based on the value of your vehicle, and is property tax. It's deductible on your federal taxes (or at least it used to be).

Many states are similar, alrhough some are more straightforward.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

His post did SAY property tax, but the jist of it was registration. Nobody pays $2,000 a year property tax on a vehicle, but registration...possibly. Especially if they have several cars.

register their cars in Florida (legally!) so that they wouldn't have to pay property tax

Actually they said register (pay registration) to avoid property tax. Just a lesson for all:

• Florida registration fees are higher than the State of Virginia....but no personal property tax (fees are very low for registration).
  • Virginia registration fees are cheaper than Florida, but the personal property tax on autos is very high--even with relief.
And Jim (I think) you're wrong. New higher-value autos definitely have annual property tax bills in the neighborhood of $2000-3000 dollars. Older vehicles, not so much. My 13 year old Jeep is over $500 bucks a year. My friends 2016 Porsche Cayenne (bought new over a year ago) is $3k a year in Loudoun. (varies by county).

PPT are tied to registration and residence by county in Virginia.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually they said register (pay registration) to avoid property tax. Just a lesson for all:

• Florida registration fees are higher than the State of Virginia....but no personal property tax (fees are very low for registration).
  • Virginia registration fees are cheaper than Florida, but the personal property tax on autos is very high--even with relief.
And Jim (I think) you're wrong. New higher-value autos definitely have annual property tax bills in the neighborhood of $2000-3000 dollars. Older vehicles, not so much. My 13 year old Jeep is over $500 bucks a year. My friends 2016 Porsche Cayenne (bought new over a year ago) is $3k a year in Loudoun. (varies by county).
I stand corrected. Sort of. Over time, that Porsche Cayenne will cost less taxes. I'm sure a new version of your Jeep is much higher as well. But I understand the concept. Add this to the reasons we live in the cheap and basically Libertarian West- though our lawmakers are catching on to 'broadening the tax base'. Last year they put a $75 additional charge on hybrid vehicles, and (I think $200?) higher on pure electrics here 'in lieu of fuel taxes'. They recently allowed county-by county- or may be city by city 'local option' sales taxes designed to catch tourists and of course the ever popular hotel and restaurant taxes that most locals can avoid.

"One Nation, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for ALL."