• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does owning a timeshare let me register my car in that state?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Add this to the reasons we live in the cheap and basically Libertarian West....

Same here in Texas. No Personal Property Tax; no State Income Tax; and reasonable Auto Registration Fees. Also Real Estate Taxes are reasonable. Sales tax at about 8.25% is a touch high and it seems like more and more toll roads are being added.

George

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just texted our son who works for a major insurance company and he said that some states are stricter than others about doing this. He said there are a lot of snowbirds who do it. As Florida residents we see a lot of snowbirds who keep a car at their place here.

I thought most insurance companies required you to have your vehicle normally garaged/parked at your place of residence. Claiming a timeshare or any other place as your residence when the vehicle isn't maybe even ever there might constitute insurance fraud if you were filing a claim.

Back in the 70's when I moved from Ohio to Erie, PA there was a lot of industry in Erie. It wasn't unusual for men who worked in the shops/plants to have older or junk cars, "beaters", they drove to work that they registered in Ohio so the cars didn't have to pass Pennsylvania inspections. If you worked at Hammermill Paper Co. and a couple of other places, they discharged stuff that was hard on the finish of cars so it didn't make sense to drive a nice car to work.

I think I must be I missing something. If you own a house you pay property tax on it regardless of where you live or even if you live in the house. Now if they are declaring Florida as their state of residence for state income tax purposes that would make a difference. Florida doesn't have state income tax.

People register their cars in Florida so they can claim Florida as there residence. As you said Florida has no state income tax, but that isn’t the only tax advantages Florida residents get. Florida residents also get a “homestead” exemption on property taxes. Also annual property tax increases are limited on your primary residence also low income seniors get an additional property tax exemption. Folks that have a second home or investment property here pay much more in property taxes than residents do

So the local tax assessors in each Florida county are on the alert to folks that claim Florida residence when their primary residence is really somewhere else. One of the things they look at is where your cars are registered

I recently looked at the requirements around car registration in California. I’m only there a few months a year, but I’m consodering leaving a car there rather than renting a car or using Uber all the time. What I’ve found that if the car is kept in California it must be registered there. It doesn’t matter where I live or whether I own anything else in California

I’m guessing this is true anywhere, if you keep a car in a state the car should be registered in that state.

So my question for the op is: why would you want to register a car in another state. For what advantage

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here in Texas. No Personal Property Tax; no State Income Tax; and reasonable Auto Registration Fees. Also Real Estate Taxes are reasonable. Sales tax at about 8.25% is a touch high and it seems like more and more toll roads are being added.

George

I'll agree with the "no personal property tax, no individual state income tax, etc...." However, my real estate taxes are 2.2% with the county increasing what they consider the value at apx 10% per year which equals a tremendous amount of ever increasing tax. Also, I have a personal aircraft (personal property) which is registered with the FAA (registration for aircraft is on a federal level rather than a local level) at my house. I also have a couple of small businesses which use my house as the corporate address. The county is now attempting to tax my personal property (the aircraft) as a business asset because the address is the same. SO, the tax situation in Texas is not as rosy as one might think from your post. All that being said, we are not paying thousands on auto registration every year.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Its been my observation that each government entity, National, State, Local requires a certain level of funds to do what they want/need to do. Thus they collect said amounts one way or the other in various taxes, income, personal property, sales, inheritance, real estate, business or other sometimes ill defined levies.

The absolute level varies among the states and local governments but one way or the other, the money is collected since they usually must run a balanced budget, while the national government can print what it needs.

Thus states with no income tax tend to have other levies income tax states do not. One way or the other, in the end, somebody is going to pay to fund the state and local entities and the things they provide. I don’t object to this fact in the least and consider it necessary to live in a great country.

Cheers

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thus states with no income tax tend to have other levies income tax states do not. One way or the other, in the end, somebody is going to pay to fund the state and local entities and the things they provide. I don’t object to this fact in the least and consider it necessary to live in a great country.

Cheers

While this maybe generally true, the other levies are sometimes not applied on individuals but rather big businesses. For instance, Alaska has no income tax and no sales tax on individuals. The government gets their income from the petroleum industry. Similarly in Neveda although there is sales tax and the state government gets much of their income from the gaming industry.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Tax Fraud.
What does registering a vehicle in FLA have to do with paying property tax in VA? They are two different things. Paying property tax has to do with number of days of occupancy in the place of residence in a particular state - not where you can register a vehicle.

Or are they taking about taxes paid for the vehicle and not residence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Va charges a personal property tax on vehicles every year. It's redic.!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
she assured me what they were doing was legit...
Everyone that finds illegal or "grey" areas around paying taxes says that. The advice that if the car stays in Florida it is legit is definitely correct, but it does not sound like they are doing that. It is easy to get caught because your car plate needs to match where you are driving and living.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fortunately here in Florida the "somebody" paying for it are out of state and out of country visitors. 116,500,000 visitors in 2017 and over half of those were to Orlando and the surrounding area. For every permanent Florida resident we had almost 6 out of state visitors. We have more than enough revenue without excess income and property taxes.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to the op

As near as I can tell it isn’t a question of can you register a car in another state. Whether you own a timeshare or not, you must register a car in the state where that car is kept

So if you keep the car in Va it seems to me that you must register it in Va and of course pay the taxes

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
btw - the original post was not clear that it was for a car (not primary residence) - my comments were based on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk