• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't drown on vacation

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
For non-residents, drowning is the leading cause of injury-related deaths ahead of falls, car crashes and other causes

From http://health.hawaii.gov/injuryprevention/home/drowning-prevention/information/
Drowning is the 5th leading cause of fatal injuries in Hawaii, with 385 drowning fatalities occurring during the 5-year period from 2010-2014, averaging 57 per year. Among non-residents during this time period, drownings were the 3rd leading cause of any type of death, behind heart disease and cancer, and the leading cause of injury-related death, ahead of suicide, falls, motor vehicle crashes, and other causes. Compared to non-residents (183), there were slightly less resident drowning deaths during this time period (176), mostly while swimming, free diving, and unknown activity. Most non-resident drowning deaths occurred while snorkeling, swimming and unknown activity. The rate of fatal ocean drowning for non-residents in Hawaii is about eight times higher than for residents. Kauai has the highest ten year rate (/100,000) of total (resident and non-resident) fatal ocean drownings (82.5), followed by Maui (64.6), Big Island (51.8) and Oahu (27.2).

For every fatal drowning, it is estimated that 13 non-fatal drownings occur, some of which may be associated with long term disability. In addition to the pain and suffering, the “comprehensive effects of drowning include the economic loss (victim’s productivity loss and the expenses relating to the event) and the value of lost quality of life associated with the death or injury.” (Lifeguard Effectiveness: A Report of the Working Group, CDC 2001). The United States Lifesaving Association estimates that that one percent of the total rescues made by lifeguards would have resulted in a drowning death in the absence of lifeguards. In 2015 alone, county ocean lifeguards in the state of Hawaii reported performing over 4,000 ocean rescues.

There were 49 drowning deaths to children 0-18 years old during the ten-year period of 2005-2014. This made drowning the 2nd leading cause of injury-related mortality among children under 18 years of age over that time period, behind only deaths among automobile occupants (54), and ahead of suicides (45), suffocations (mostly (34 deaths) among infants), homicides (29), and pedestrian (27) and motorcycle/moped crashes (14). 21 of these deaths were in the ocean/saltwater, 15 in a swimming pool, 7 in bathtubs, 2 in rivers/streams, and 4 unknown or other water environment.

Q: What other things can I do to help keep myself and my family safe?
A: Listed is a summary of drowning contributory factors and preventive actions: (Drowning: Prevention, Rescue and Treatment 2014)

Contributory Factors:
  • currents
  • waves
  • off-shore winds
  • pre-existing disease
  • underwater entanglement
  • bottom surface gradient and stability
  • water transparency
  • impeded visibility
  • lack of parental supervision
  • poor or inadequate equipment
  • overloading of boats
  • overestimation of skills and lack of local knowledge
  • cold
  • alcohol use

http://www.civilbeat.org/projects/dying-for-vacation/
http://www.teok.com/drowning-deaths-in-kauai-ocean-shoreline-waters/
http://www.lyslaw.com/Blog/2014/November/8-Tips-To-Prevent-Drowning-On-Your-Hawaii-Vacati.aspx

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have zero data, but when I read articles about visitors drowning in Hawaii, a large percentage of them seem to be over 50, so my guess is that physical condition is a significant contributing factor.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
A lot of people who live around the ocean have no clue of the power of the ocean or how dangerous it really can be. You. Can get into trouble very quickly.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
A lot of people who live around the ocean have no clue of the power of the ocean or how dangerous it really can be. You. Can get into trouble very quickly.
From the statistics, it appears about 1/2 of the drownings are not in the ocean.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
From the statistics, it appears about 1/2 of the drownings are not in the ocean.

That makes sense too because of flash flooding is common on Hawaii.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We once saw a lifeguard try to convince a foreign tourist not to boogie board at Sandy Beach. We walked a little way down the beach and back, maybe 10 minutes. When we got back we saw the man laid out on the beach. The lifeguards were trying to help him. EMS was on its way. The man had broken his neck.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
A non fatal drowning? Is that like a non fatal poisoning? I have no clue but might it be someone who gets significant water in the lungs and loses consciousness but doesn't die?

Cheers

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
A non fatal drowning? Is that like a non fatal poisoning? I have no clue but might it be someone who gets significant water in the lungs and loses consciousness but doesn't die?

Cheers
I always understood drowning to= death:
verb
past tense: drowned; past participle: drowned

1. die through submersion in and inhalation of water.
    "she drowned in the pond"
    synonyms: suffocate in water, inhale water;

go to a watery grave
    "he nearly drowned"
Not all poisonings are fatal.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I learned my lesson on potentially drowning, and now wear a snorkel vest (type that inflates if needed) even though it looks geeky.

Many years ago, I got pulled out by a tough current at Poipu beach in Kauai after one of my flippers came off. I picked up a snorkel vest soon after that incident. Recently, going around Watermelon Cay (on St John, USVI) we got caught in a brutal current (Full Moon) - luckily Robin was able to hold onto me while I inflated the vest and we just floated away until the charter captain came to pick us up. Another in our group almost drowned - luckily another Tugger was able to rescue her - otherwise it could/would have ended badly.
I also carry a whistle on the vest since the charter captain was not paying attention and could not hear us yelling.
Be safe - sh*t can go bad crazy fast.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I learned my lesson on potentially drowning, and now wear a snorkel vest (type that inflates if needed) even though it looks geeky.

Many years ago, I got pulled out by a tough current at Poipu beach in Kauai after one of my flippers came off. I picked up a snorkel vest soon after that incident. Recently, going around Watermelon Cay (on St John, USVI) we got caught in a brutal current (Full Moon) - luckily Robin was able to hold onto me while I inflated the vest and we just floated away until the charter captain came to pick us up. Another in our group almost drowned - luckily another Tugger was able to rescue her - otherwise it could/would have ended badly.
I also carry a whistle on the vest since the charter captain was not paying attention and could not hear us yelling.
Be safe - sh*t can go bad crazy fast.
The problem is that a snorkel vest is not intended to be a life saving device. It usually says so somewhere on the vest. It will not work like a life jacket and reliably hold your head above water should you somehow lose consciousness. A snorkel vest is meant to assist with flotation with your face submerged while snorkeling. You should not rely on it to help you in a drowning situation. If there is no one around, you may not have a chance to inflate the vest.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The problem is that a snorkel vest is not intended to be a life saving device. It usually says so somewhere on the vest. It will not work like a life jacket and reliably hold your head above water should you somehow lose consciousness. A snorkel vest is meant to assist with flotation with your face submerged while snorkeling. You should not rely on it to help you in a drowning situation. If there is no one around, you may not have a chance to inflate the vest.

You are correct - yet, for me - it works pretty well (it is more about resting to prevent over-exertion - that can lead to issues in the water) - but if I were to have a heart attack and pass out (most likely risk) - well... that would suck. Should also be afraid of sharks, car crashes, getting shot, cancer... (actually these scare me as well). My snorkel vest allows me to dive down. I have only inflated it a few times - mostly to give Robin a break on long snorkels. It definitely will not prevent drowning, but has certainly kept normal situations from going wrong.

I had a go-pro going during our Watermelon Cay snorkel - showing how fast it can go bad.

If one is concerned - they should definitely not use an inflatable snorkel vest - thanks for the clarification.

btw - I also use straps with my flippers - these are also great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
IMG_5728.JPG
I found a photo of inflatable snorkel vest and whistle (~$50)
As mentioned - this is not intended as a life saving vest (NOT A FLOATATION DEVICE). The Westin STJ, did not allow me to wear it on their snorkel charter- we were required to take floatations device. However, it is comforting to wear (vs nothing).

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
View attachment 3420
I found a photo of inflatable snorkel vest and whistle.
As mentioned - this is not intended as a life saving vest (NOT A FLOATATION DEVICE). The Westin STJ, did not allow me to wear it on their snorkel charter- we were required to take floatations device. However, it is comforting to wear (vs nothing).
A whistle is also a great thing to have while snorkeling. We bought ours separately, but they clip on to our snorkel vests.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I thought drowning by definition was a fatal event.

That's because it used to be that people only talked about drowning when it involved death. But recently the term has changed in order to highlight the dangers. The WHO explains:

"Drowning is a major global public health problem. Effective prevention of drowning requires programmes and policies that address known risk factors throughout the world. Surveillance, however, has been hampered by the lack of a uniform and internationally accepted definition that permits all relevant cases to be counted. To develop a new definition, an international consensus procedure was conducted. Experts in clinical medicine, injury epidemiology, prevention and rescue from all over the world participated in a series of 'electronic' discussions and face-to-face workshops. The suitability of previous definitions and the major requirements of a new definition were intensely debated. The consensus was that the new definition should include both cases of fatal and nonfatal drowning. After considerable dialogue and debate, the following definition was adopted: “Drowning is the process of experiencing respiratory impairment from submersion/immersion in liquid.” Drowning outcomes should be classified as: death, morbidity, and no morbidity. There was also consensus that the terms wet, dry, active, passive, silent, and secondary drowning should no longer be used. Thus a simple, comprehensive, and internationally accepted definition of drowning has been developed. Its use should support future activities in drowning surveillance worldwide, and lead to more reliable and comprehensive epidemiological information on this global, and frequently preventable, public health problem."

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/83/11/vanbeeck1105abstract/en/

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
That's because it used to be that people only talked about drowning when it involved death. But recently the term has changed in order to highlight the dangers. The WHO explains:

"Drowning is a major global public health problem. Effective prevention of drowning requires programmes and policies that address known risk factors throughout the world. Surveillance, however, has been hampered by the lack of a uniform and internationally accepted definition that permits all relevant cases to be counted. To develop a new definition, an international consensus procedure was conducted. Experts in clinical medicine, injury epidemiology, prevention and rescue from all over the world participated in a series of 'electronic' discussions and face-to-face workshops. The suitability of previous definitions and the major requirements of a new definition were intensely debated. The consensus was that the new definition should include both cases of fatal and nonfatal drowning. After considerable dialogue and debate, the following definition was adopted: “Drowning is the process of experiencing respiratory impairment from submersion/immersion in liquid.” Drowning outcomes should be classified as: death, morbidity, and no morbidity. There was also consensus that the terms wet, dry, active, passive, silent, and secondary drowning should no longer be used. Thus a simple, comprehensive, and internationally accepted definition of drowning has been developed. Its use should support future activities in drowning surveillance worldwide, and lead to more reliable and comprehensive epidemiological information on this global, and frequently preventable, public health problem."

It's like the "new math".

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I literally almost drowned when in Hawaii (Kauai) back in 2002. I was 46 years old. There for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was in Poipu.

My husband went on an ATV excursion while my son and I decided to go to the beach. I was in the water for quite some time with my son, snorkeling and following the fish. I ended up in water over my head. Not normally an issue as I can swim. But, for a reason to this day I am not sure of, all of a sudden I could not swim. My body was chilled. There were I guess those undercurrents or whatever you call them. I tried to swim back. I was almost frozen in place.

My son- who was 14- kept circling around me and encouraging me. He wanted me to hold onto him, but I refused, thinking there was no way I was going to pull him down with me. I tried to yell out help to people on the beach- but I couldn't muster the air to be loud. I started to go under a little and take in a little water.

My son decided to swim behind me and "push" me in. That is how I got back to where I could stand up. After recovering on shore, I made the decision to go back in or I would forever be afraid of the water- which I have always loved. 'Till this day. I will not go in any water over my head unless I have a tube or life jacket, or am in a pool and close to the side walls.

This event actually left a very strong, almost spiritual impression upon me as I was at a period in my life where I was struggling with some issues. I wrote my thoughts and feelings in my journal and many years later burned it and moved on.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Thanks for that. I now know fatal and non fatal versions of poisoning and drowning are similar.

Cheers

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Interesting - I had heard about secondary drowning (from lung damage) which often goes unrecognized for those that have aspirated water into their lungs. Not unlike smoke damage from fire.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I literally almost drowned when in Hawaii (Kauai) back in 2002. I was 46 years old. There for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was in Poipu...

I've had a few close calls myself which have resulted in my purchasing a ScubaPro snorkeling vest.
My hubby is a stronger swimmer than I and one time I remember him luring me out beyond a reef & into open, very deep water. We were with a tourist snorkeling boat (aka Cattle Boat) and probably too far away when a storm came up. The boat began tooting to get us back in and it was a scary struggle to rush back against the high waves.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
That's because it used to be that people only talked about drowning when it involved death. But recently the term has changed in order to highlight the dangers.
It sure hasn't changed in any of the dictionaries I have access to, nor in the definitions when I Google it.