• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Downside of hh or Vero ownership?

Commish_DVC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Long winded answer to continue to base any purchase decision on 2042 expiration. In reality that is the only difference between SSR & VB - I wouldnt want to vacation at either of them - The question was does it make sense to buy low and there are valid arguments as to why it does (even though you refuse to let that logic get presented without jumping in with a time value of money caluclation) If someone wants DVC points cheap VB is a way to get them albeit with fully disclosed, higher carrying cost- These are emotional decisions, not always LT Financial as you can use the contract for 10 years and sell it, you can rent all of your points, depends on the individual. I have never regretted my 496 VB Contract, gladly pay the dues and then stay at the Beach Club.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Long winded answer to continue to base any purchase decision on 2042 expiration. In reality that is the only difference between SSR & VB - I wouldnt want to vacation at either of them - The question was does it make sense to buy low and there are valid arguments as to why it does (even though you refuse to let that logic get presented without jumping in with a time value of money caluclation) If someone wants DVC points cheap VB is a way to get them albeit with fully disclosed, higher carrying cost- These are emotional decisions, not always LT Financial as you can use the contract for 10 years and sell it, you can rent all of your points, depends on the individual. I have never regretted my 496 VB Contract, gladly pay the dues and then stay at the Beach Club.
Regardless it's not possible to make a valid argument that VB to simply stay at WDW makes sense financially. That is the reality and is born out by the numbers. If you use the buy now and resell later, the difference is even more egregious if one makes reasonable assumptions on sales price and you'd have to sell by 5 years or so AND maintain the spread of $30 in this example else the difference between the 2 is even larger. It really isn't a VB vs SSR thing, it's a VB vs WDW thing. Owning at VB you have no 11 month window and NO financial incentive to take the additional risk. Now if one wants to stay at VB part of the time or can find a subsidized contract, the numbers are different. But unless one is going to stay at VB part of the time it shouldn't be an emotional decision, else it's an irrational one.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Sometimes current affordability can be a rational decision without contemplating years out. This is what I can afford now, I want to start going now. The future is never known, the future assumptions are not guaranteed.

Yes straight mathematics with many year outlook can show a reason to buy one way but that is based on today, not the exact known future. Past does not always indicate future or others can say past is an indication of the future which is how many investors lost lots of money.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've hesitated to comment as I'm not sure how much we're helping the OP at this point. That said, I offer a pair of thoughts which may be of use.

There is no reason to assume that the maintenance fees for VB will rise at the same rate as for the WDW resorts. From 2015-2018 VB increased 0.3% each year while SSR increases were in the 3.0-5.1% range. And it may just be that I've not heard about VB's tax situation, but the assessors clearly feel a substantial hike of WDW's valuation is achievable and are working toward that goal.

But the much bigger elephant in the room with all 2042 contracts is the question of what Disney will do and thus what value will they have moving forward. My impression is that Dean places a value of $0/pt on them in 2042 but I think that is exceedingly unlikely. The question then becomes how much residual value to place on WDW points and how much will that value vary by resort?

Will Disney offer an option to buy new points to existing owners?
Will they offer discounts and if so will they be a % or fixed $/pt?
Will they offer extensions of 15-20 years sometime between 2024 and 2029?
Will they seek to reduce or expand the number of non-WDW resorts?
Will they demolish any of the resorts?

All good questions.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've hesitated to comment as I'm not sure how much we're helping the OP at this point. That said, I offer a pair of thoughts which may be of use.

There is no reason to assume that the maintenance fees for VB will rise at the same rate as for the WDW resorts. From 2015-2018 VB increased 0.3% each year while SSR increases were in the 3.0-5.1% range. And it may just be that I've not heard about VB's tax situation, but the assessors clearly feel a substantial hike of WDW's valuation is achievable and are working toward that goal.

But the much bigger elephant in the room with all 2042 contracts is the question of what Disney will do and thus what value will they have moving forward. My impression is that Dean places a value of $0/pt on them in 2042 but I think that is exceedingly unlikely. The question then becomes how much residual value to place on WDW points and how much will that value vary by resort?

Will Disney offer an option to buy new points to existing owners?
Will they offer discounts and if so will they be a % or fixed $/pt?
Will they offer extensions of 15-20 years sometime between 2024 and 2029?
Will they seek to reduce or expand the number of non-WDW resorts?
Will they demolish any of the resorts?

All good questions.
IMO the long term prospect on the fees is they will rise as fast or faster simply because the resort has to be maintained no matter the rest of the economy though the last few years of any resort they should dwindle down but in a given year or 2 things will vary. I do place a value of zero at the end in Jan, 2042 and the limited experience with OKW combined with the failed sales project there makes it unlikely to be extended even if others are. But even if it is, it's doubtful to be in a manner that's financially feasible or that alters the issue at hand in favor of VB. They offered OKW at $15 ($25 with a discount) years ago and the real value at the time was around $7-8 per point by my calculations and that was born out by the sales prices of the 2057 contracts there vs the 2042 ones over the following few years. We simply don't know what will happen to the resort at the end, your guess as to what is as good as mine. However, I think it's DRAMATICALLY unlikely to be cheap enough to reduce the overall long term cost and extremely likely to increase the overall cost of ownership there looked at in the whole for anyone that participates. Disney has challenged the tax valuations and thus far has had some success doing so.

The variables at VB are different than WDW, esp OKW. The weather is a much larger risk not just for catastrophic issues but it doesn't have the transportation component.

The extension debacle is a whole different thread but what they clearly won't do is something that makes sense for the members as a no brainer or without taking a sizable chunk for themselves, it'll certainly be expensive comparatively so if they do offer an extension.

We could certainly have a similar discussion from a $$$ standpoint between SSR, OKW, AKV, etc and it's commonly done for AKV compared to SSR. The answer is the same financially as it is for VB unless one will buy less AKV points and use them for value rooms at least 2/3 of the times, that is the rough break even financially compared to buying SSR and using for standard view at AKV. But the dollar spread is less than the VB vs SSR and for WDW, they do the same thing save cost and the ability to guarantee a trip at 11 months out. There are also emotional components but they can't be qualified though they don't alter the math, they are just different. For someone that wants to stay at VB and WDW it can be a reasonable purchase. Before the increase to the 75 pt requirement to get perks, it was a reasonable option for that purpose in some cases.

BTW, the answer for HHI is exactly the same and the numbers are very similar.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
The new DVC Riviera property's high-density construction (at least 12 stories, relatively small footprint for 300 units) lends itself to lower maintenance costs. But unlike other high density buildings (like Bay Lake), instead of being on the monorail, it will be on the new gondola transportation system.

Does it really cost much more (in dues) for a monorail resorts to provide specialty (monorail) transport as opposed to just bus or bus/boat transportation? Is the gondola system likely to be as costly to maintain as the monorail? Any ideas or thoughts about dues pricing and relative value at Riviera, over time?

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The new DVC Riviera property's high-density construction (at least 12 stories, relatively small footprint for 300 units) lends itself to lower maintenance costs. But unlike other high density buildings (like Bay Lake), instead of being on the monorail, it will be on the new gondola transportation system.

Does it really cost much more (in dues) for a monorail resorts to provide specialty (monorail) transport as opposed to just bus or bus/boat transportation? Is the gondola system likely to be as costly to maintain as the monorail? Any ideas or thoughts about dues pricing and relative value at Riviera, over time?
My guess, and it's just that, is that dues will be favorable for the same reason that BLT is favorable. High points and lower costs for the building. Taxes will likely be less there as well. Transportation will likely be around the same as BLT. That's the issue that I think makes the SSR the most predictable and likely easiest controlled due to the building design and lack of interior hallways.

As I understand it each resort pays it's own proportion of it's transportation based on a formula that is designed to approximate the number of people staying at each resort affected. Essentially they use the formula to determine the total number of people staying at each resort applicable, take that number and divide it into the total cost of the system in question or the portion assigned to that resort(s). Then they go back to each resort, or portion of the resort for mixed use properties, and multiply that per person cost by the number of people applicable. That way each resort pays for it's own transportation or portion thereof. That will be easier and cleaner for the gondola than it is for the bus system. Likely Riviera will have buses to MK and Disney Springs but they may not to DHS or EPCOT unless there's an issue with the gondola or it isn't able to keep up with volume. It is my understanding that for closed in options like the Gondola, the resorts will pay for it in it's entirety just like YC/BC, BWV & BCV along with the Starwood resorts pay for the friendship boats.

I know there were some issues with BWV & BCV a few years ago about this and some delved deeply into it since on the surface it seems a disproportionate cost was being applies to the DVC resorts and if you do it on a per person basis rather than per room, a higher % will go to the villas than hotels. I don't recall the numbers assumed for each villa size/type/hotel room but IIRC it was a projection and not an actually density count (occupancy is rooms in use, density is # of people).

Commish_DVC

TUG Member
Reaction score
You really should read how you sound - a complete know it all, with a singular point of view, but in this instance your argument is false, assumptions are wrong, and conclusions obnoxious

• it's not possible to make a valid argument that VB to simply stay at WDW makes sense financially - I bought VB @$39 in 2013 and I would buy more @ $60 if I didn't already have 1,325 points Statement is WRONG
  • That is the reality and is born out by the numbers. ALSO INCORRECT
  • Owning at VB you have no 11 month window and NO financial incentive to take the additional risk. - THIS MAKES ZERO SENSE - HAVE 3 MARATHON WEEKEND RENTALS with VB Points - WRONG
  • Now if one wants to stay at VB part of the time or can find a subsidized contract, the numbers are different. - STAYING AT VB HAS ZERO TO DO WITH PURCHACE - YOU ARE BUYING DVC POINTS = WRONG
  • unless one is going to stay at VB part of the time it shouldn't be an emotional decision, else it's an irrational one. - WRONG & OBNOXIOUS - Dean Determines everyone's Financial Situation ???? and state of mind???.

Be better - Appears you like to own the conversation - OP was seeking information on VB - there are other Owners with VALID points of view that could be helpful, you clearly don't like Vero we get it -

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like vb is working out for you... I think I will wait for the bubble on thr bull market to pop and then look for a way to pull trigger. For me.. a penny not out the door on day 1 is a penny saved. Then it just becomes a simple economic game of how much is too much for 1 night at a dvc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You really should read how you sound - a complete know it all, with a singular point of view, but in this instance your argument is false, assumptions are wrong, and conclusions obnoxious

• it's not possible to make a valid argument that VB to simply stay at WDW makes sense financially - I bought VB @$39 in 2013 and I would buy more @ $60 if I didn't already have 1,325 points Statement is WRONG
  • That is the reality and is born out by the numbers. ALSO INCORRECT
  • Owning at VB you have no 11 month window and NO financial incentive to take the additional risk. - THIS MAKES ZERO SENSE - HAVE 3 MARATHON WEEKEND RENTALS with VB Points - WRONG
  • Now if one wants to stay at VB part of the time or can find a subsidized contract, the numbers are different. - STAYING AT VB HAS ZERO TO DO WITH PURCHACE - YOU ARE BUYING DVC POINTS = WRONG
  • unless one is going to stay at VB part of the time it shouldn't be an emotional decision, else it's an irrational one. - WRONG & OBNOXIOUS - Dean Determines everyone's Financial Situation ???? and state of mind???.

Be better - Appears you like to own the conversation - OP was seeking information on VB - there are other Owners with VALID points of view that could be helpful, you clearly don't like Vero we get it -
We'll have to agree to disagree, you are very heavily invested in this emotionally it would appear. The numbers don't lie, sorry.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like vb is working out for you... I think I will wait for the bubble on thr bull market to pop and then look for a way to pull trigger. For me.. a penny not out the door on day 1 is a penny saved. Then it just becomes a simple economic game of how much is too much for 1 night at a dvc

The cheapest long term value is current SSR and likely to remain so assuming WDW is the goal but there are other considerations. IMO the 7 month window is workable if one is realistic, esp for 1 BR.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I always look for an easy exit strategy. Owning onsite WDW gives one a bigger pool of buyers and a very easy exit, likely with a profit (going by the past 10 years). I don't know that I'd count in that for VB or HHI. I own at AKV and HHI and plan to hold HHI until it expires. I could flip AKV in less than 1 week for a tidy profit--and did so with VWL 3 years ago.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went back and pulled the historical dues for SSR & VB. Had one bought in 2009 at the bottom they could potentially have gotten VB for as low as around $28 per point and SSR for as low as around $48 pp, IIRC. Had one done so and reimbursed for the 2009 dues, they would have paid $75 per point total during that 10 year span where SSR would have been $50 pp. The savings of then around $20 pp was completely eroded after 8 years just like in my projections.

The other thing that's been lost in this, and is likely far more important than the numbers, is that the last few years has been a different animal for the 7 month window than historically. One pretty much has to count on staying at SSR, OKW or AKV most of the time and some of the time, not being able to get anything. 1 BR are the easiest and studios the most difficult. IMO this is due to SSR in large part but there are other factors. In 2009 I would have been comfortable with the 7 month choices, that's not nearly as much so now. I do think it's still workable for some but it's not what it once was. And those looking at DVC should know that "off season" for DVC isn't the same as it is for Disney or Orlando in general. For example, early Dec is the most difficult reservation based on time of year for DVC. What having a WDW option (SSR cheapest long term, BLT next) in hand is the ability to secure and lock in reservations at 11 months and guarantee the vacation. They can then try for something else at 7 months out and wait list for more desirable options without worry. One can do that for VB only if they're OK staying there if they don't get WDW.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cheapest long term value is current SSR and likely to remain so assuming WDW is the goal but there are other considerations. IMO the 7 month window is workable if one is realistic, esp for 1 BR.
Here is my current math (please correct where I get It wrong). All this info comes from a resale website that seems reputable

Ssr:
Price per point 105
Mf per point 5.85
Years left 36

Vb:
Price per point 60
Mf per point 8.53
Years left 24

Based on simple math my price per point per year is 8.75 for ssr and 11.03 for Vero (difference of around 2.30 per point per year).

Price difference is 45 per point

Number of years before cash in my pocket flips (not counting time value of money ).

45/2.3 = 19.5

So basically I end up worse off for last 4 years of contract for a total extra cost of around 10 bucks a point. Factor in time value of money and it drops a little lower than that.

From my simple math it sounds like cheapest option isn't really that much cheaper if you are fine with a 2042 expiration.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my current math (please correct where I get It wrong). All this info comes from a resale website that seems reputable

Ssr:
Price per point 105
Mf per point 5.85
Years left 36

Vb:
Price per point 60
Mf per point 8.53
Years left 24

Based on simple math my price per point per year is 8.75 for ssr and 11.03 for Vero (difference of around 2.30 per point per year).

Price difference is 45 per point

Number of years before cash in my pocket flips (not counting time value of money ) and I end up worse off with vb)

45/2.3 = 19.5

So basically I end up worse off for last 4 years of contract for a total extra cost of around 10 bucks a point. Factor in time value of money and it drops a little lower than that.

From my simple math it sounds like cheapest option isn't really that much cheaper if you are fine with a 2042 expiration.

Jason, I think the thing you missed, and it's actually the biggest cost is the dues escalation. Plus you're using a $45 point spread, IMO the proper spread is more in the $30 a point range though the answers are ultimately the same until you get to a much larger spread than $45. During that same 10 yr span, VB & SSR dues both went up just over 30% total. When you consider that SSR was still in it's infancy early and that dues tend to go up less because everything is new AND companies tend to squeeze dues when they're in active sales, it may actually make SSR look worse than it was. Also consider that resorts with remaining years should have value in 2042 (though there's no guarantee) so one could factor in selling in 2042 as well. Certainly if you factor in the opportunity costs/TVM for the up front savings it does reduces the numbers some if one follows through with investing. But the point I made above that the 7 month window going forward is not what it used to be is a big one. Plus as I noted earlier, VB has significant weather risk as well.

VB is a fine resort and for someone who wants to stay there part of the time and at WDW part of the time, it can be a reasonable purchase if they go in with eyes wide open. But it doesn't save money for WDW and has a LOT of negatives if that's the goal. Even for someone looking at both, often a smaller VB contract plus a second WDW contract is often best. I don't see the logic in paying more long term, taking more risk, having an asset worth less and hard to sell if needed and having no 11 month window if WDW is the goal when there's no real possibility of savings. The last 2-3 years BBS have had an abundance of complaints for people that previously could get X at 7 months out and now they can't. If there were real savings and one were OK with the risks, different answer. If I were going to buy VB I'd scour for a subsidized contract even though it'd be more up front. The info for HHI is essentially the same.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jason, I think the thing you missed, and it's actually the biggest cost is the dues escalation. Plus you're using a $45 point spread, IMO the proper spread is more in the $30 a point range though the answers are ultimately the same until you get to a much larger spread than $45. During that same 10 yr span, VB & SSR dues both went up just over 30% total. When you consider that SSR was still in it's infancy early and that dues tend to go up less because everything is new AND companies tend to squeeze dues when they're in active sales, it may actually make SSR look worse than it was. Also consider that resorts with remaining years should have value in 2042 (though there's no guarantee) so one could factor in selling in 2042 as well. Certainly if you factor in the opportunity costs/TVM for the up front savings it does reduces the numbers some if one follows through with investing. But the point I made above that the 7 month window going forward is not what it used to be is a big one. Plus as I noted earlier, VB has significant weather risk as well.

VB is a fine resort and for someone who wants to stay there part of the time and at WDW part of the time, it can be a reasonable purchase if they go in with eyes wide open. But it doesn't save money for WDW and has a LOT of negatives if that's the goal. Even for someone looking at both, often a smaller VB contract plus a second WDW contract is often best. I don't see the logic in paying more long term, taking more risk, having an asset worth less and hard to sell if needed and having no 11 month window if WDW is the goal when there's no real possibility of savings. The last 2-3 years BBS have had an abundance of complaints for people that previously could get X at 7 months out and now they can't. If there were real savings and one were OK with the risks, different answer. If I were going to buy VB I'd scour for a subsidized contract even though it'd be more up front. The info for HHI is essentially the same.
I don't understand why you keep bringing up significant weather risk. .. I live in south florida and can almost guarantee you that there is insurance on that property so exposure would be limited. . Only real risk would be if they underfunded their reserves which given their structure again makes no sense. . Or am I missing something.

Also.. based on you saying 30 per point spread I assume you mean that ssr can be bought for 90 a point? Cause vb is available at 59 a point.

As for 7 month window vs 11 month window. . That is a valid risk.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I always look for an easy exit strategy. Owning onsite WDW gives one a bigger pool of buyers and a very easy exit, likely with a profit (going by the past 10 years). I don't know that I'd count in that for VB or HHI. I own at AKV and HHI and plan to hold HHI until it expires. I could flip AKV in less than 1 week for a tidy profit--and did so with VWL 3 years ago.

i agree with always thinking about an exit strategy. We plan on giving our Wyndham ownerships back through Ovation within the next few years (tired of the dues) and only keeping our Marriott even platinum Grande Vista and our DVC SSR and BCV points. Five years ago I would have enjoyed stalking the DVC RAT or waitlisting, but with grandkids and soon to be school schedules I want to be able to book what I need ahead of the 7 month crowds.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you keep bringing up significant weather risk. .. I live in south florida and can almost guarantee you that there is insurance on that property so exposure would be limited. . Only real risk would be if they underfunded their reserves which given their structure again makes no sense. . Or am I missing something.

Also.. based on you saying 30 per point spread I assume you mean that ssr can be bought for 90 a point? Cause vb is available at 59 a point.

As for 7 month window vs 11 month window. . That is a valid risk.

I think SSR is the low to mid $90's is possible but even at the $45 a point difference it doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint for WDW. You'll have to decide how much value to put on the weather issue, for me personally it wouldn't dissuade me if the deal otherwise made sense but here are the issues. Sure they have insurance but it doesn't cover everything, insurance costs money paid for by dues so if insurance goes up so do the dues, plus if the resort gets wiped out, they could just close up shop, pay all expenses and divide the remaining proceeds and the owners there are out of the club. IMO the 2 big issues are the lack of an 11 month window and the fact that it's more expensive to own there than almost anywhere else resale. The 7 month window is not what it used to be. With this discussion I'm reminded of buying a car where some say how much and some say how much a month. Or like a car lease where it's more expensive overall long term but less per month.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think SSR is the low to mid $90's is possible but even at the $45 a point difference it doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint for WDW. You'll have to decide how much value to put on the weather issue, for me personally it wouldn't dissuade me if the deal otherwise made sense but here are the issues. Sure they have insurance but it doesn't cover everything, insurance costs money paid for by dues so if insurance goes up so do the dues, plus if the resort gets wiped out, they could just close up shop, pay all expenses and divide the remaining proceeds and the owners there are out of the club. IMO the 2 big issues are the lack of an 11 month window and the fact that it's more expensive to own there than almost anywhere else resale. The 7 month window is not what it used to be. With this discussion I'm reminded of buying a car where some say how much and some say how much a month. Or like a car lease where it's more expensive overall long term but less per month.
I guess from what I see. . The benefit only comes from the back end (20 years) when my cash flow goes negative on the deal. It just seems a little foolish pay so much money up front to save 3k in 20 years..

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess from what I see. . The benefit only comes from the back end (20 years) when my cash flow goes negative on the deal. It just seems a little foolish pay so much money up front to save 3k in 20 years..

Your choice of course but it's really not going to be 20 years, more like 10 or less before the crossover, about $100 per point over the life of VB not counting the value of the alternate options at that time. And you'll have something worth less and more difficult to sell. Let us know how it works out.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

I totally get how you see it. We have the same back and forth on the hgvc forum on Tug .

I love DVC and have traded in a few times. Yes, Saratoga is what is usually available and I love it there. I am in my 50’s and just did not see the value in buying Disney. I also looked at VB and HH and they made more sense to me, as I like both areas, but ultimately I purchased neither.

Instead I purchased a 7000 point hgvc at a high demand affiliated on Marco Island, a float winter week for $4500. Thru the hgvc RCI portal I can trade for two 1 bedrooms dvc units in Saratoga for a total of 6800 points. Even paying the trade fees and the $190 Disney fee, it is still very cost effective as I didn’t pay much up front. If at any time I can’t get DVC trades, I have a great week to use, can go to hgvc resorts, trade in interval for high end resorts or easily get rid of and reconsider DVC.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally get how you see it. We have the same back and forth on the hgvc forum on Tug .

I love DVC and have traded in a few times. Yes, Saratoga is what is usually available and I love it there. I am in my 50’s and just did not see the value in buying Disney. I also looked at VB and HH and they made more sense to me, as I like both areas, but ultimately I purchased neither.

Instead I purchased a 7000 point hgvc at a high demand affiliated on Marco Island, a float winter week for $4500. Thru the hgvc RCI portal I can trade for two 1 bedrooms dvc units in Saratoga for a total of 6800 points. Even paying the trade fees and the $190 Disney fee, it is still very cost effective as I didn’t pay much up front. If at any time I can’t get DVC trades, I have a great week to use, can go to hgvc resorts, trade in interval for high end resorts or easily get rid of and reconsider DVC.
My problem is that dw doesn't want to stay at okw or ssr.. which is where this comes in..

Otherwise I would trade my hgvc..

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
People get awfully offended when a person disagrees with them. Holy cow!

Anyway, I agree with Dean that SSR is a good value right now, but if someone is cash poor on the purchase, I can see owning VB too.

I am surprised that SSR is up in price by that much. $100 is crazy. We paid $60 per point just about five years ago (resale), and since then, resales have been devalued so taht you cannot even get the AP discount. I don't understand buying Disney at all right now, with that value taken away. I thought DVC resale values would plummet for that reason.

I really need to talk the kids into buying some small contracts through Disney. Maybe VB is the one that will get them the benefit without a huge purchase price PP from Disney direct.

Commish_DVC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The flawed analysis pushed by Dean continues - Compare with a fixed level of investment - you can buy more VB points- a VB Purchase is not about staying at Vero Beach and certainly not about booking at SSR (nothing special or difficult in getting an SSR Rez) - it is about accumulating points - points that can be rented or used. If you have points, you have flexibility - You know what is available at 7 months? the expensive rooms which require more points and at 7 months there is zero difference between $200 points and VB points - I own at Vero Beach - my reservations have been almost exclusively BCV, BWV, Poly Bungalows, BLT -

DVC Points are a commodity, not an equity like stock - those points can be converted back into cash with a vibrant DVC rental market - $16-$20pp,

"The numbers don't lie, sorry" when the analysis is biased and flawed you are apt to reach a false conclusion

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
The flawed analysis pushed by Dean continues - Compare with a fixed level of investment - you can buy more VB points- a VB Purchase is not about staying at Vero Beach and certainly not about booking at SSR (nothing special or difficult in getting an SSR Rez) - it is about accumulating points - points that can be rented or used. If you have points, you have flexibility - You know what is available at 7 months? the expensive rooms which require more points and at 7 months there is zero difference between $200 points and VB points - I own at Vero Beach - my reservations have been almost exclusively BCV, BWV, Poly Bungalows, BLT -

DVC Points are a commodity, not an equity like stock - those points can be converted back into cash with a vibrant DVC rental market - $16-$20pp,

"The numbers don't lie, sorry" when the analysis is biased and flawed you are apt to reach a false conclusion
So you are aligned with my analysis? Or is there something I am missing?