• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI Sampler purchased in Hawaii

Gooseman

Reaction score
We bought the 20k sampler package in Hawaii. The contract says we can cancel in 7 days if we send written notification to DRI in Las Vegas, which I have done. I hope we are ok. If not i will dispute the $3995 charge with my credit card company using the terms of the contract as justification... I hope it works out but I think we are on solid ground.

I’m surprised to read on this site that people say Hawaii has no rescission period on samplers, that was not my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooseman

Reaction score
We bought the 20k sampler package in Hawaii. The contract says we can cancel in 7 days if we send written notification to DRI in Las Vegas, which I have done. I hope we are ok. If not i will dispute the $3995 charge with my credit card company using the terms of the contract as justification... I hope it works out but I think we are on solid ground.

I’m surprised to read on this site that people say Hawaii has no rescission period on samplers, that was not my experience.

OP here - since we are from CA I wonder if that’s why we got that 7 day clause added to our contract? (Of course the salesman never mentioned it to us)

izzymail

Reaction score
Not sure...I got mine in Las Vegas and there is no rescission period in NV. Congrats, much easier than what many of us have had to do to get them cancelled!

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
is a very large thread in the DRI forum about the sampler package...some of them push back on owners far more than others...while many allow rescission without question.

we always suggest standing firm and continuing to press them to allow you to rescind under state law!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure...I got mine in Las Vegas and there is no rescission period in NV. Congrats, much easier than what many of us have had to do to get them cancelled!

the state law in Nevada is 5 days...regardless of what anyone tells you.

izzymail

Reaction score
the state law in Nevada is 5 days...regardless of what anyone tells you.
The sampler is not considered a real estate or timeshare purchase so they do not follow the recession laws. Don't know if that's legal, but that's what they do, and unlike other states who apply rescession periods to packages like the SAMPLER, the documents in NV clearly indicate that no cancellation allowed. Those of us who have received refunds have gotten them through BBB complaints.

Gooseman

Reaction score
I bought in Hawaii and am a CA resident. The contract clearly says I have 7 days to cancel the sampler....

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

We did that successfully back in May. You may have to nudge DRI a time or 2 to get them to move in this. In our case they sent the paperwork to an outfit in England. That seemed to add to the delay a bit, but they did finally act on on our request to rescind...after I asked them to please reread the contract language on rescinding.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
The sampler is not considered a real estate or timeshare purchase so they do not follow the recession laws. Don't know if that's legal, but that's what they do, and unlike other states who apply rescession periods to packages like the SAMPLER, the documents in NV clearly indicate that no cancellation allowed. Those of us who have received refunds have gotten them through BBB complaints.
yes, we have had many reports that diamond tries to make this claim, but we still stipulate that when push comes to shove the law would favor the consumer here. selling a timeshare product while "not" calling it a timeshare is utterly ridiculous.

plus the fact that so many others have had no problems rescinding their sampler packages, just like other timeshare scammers...all of this reads like they hope owners will just roll over and take it vs stick to their guns and demand the rescission within the state regulated laws, and certainly assume owners wont report it to the AGs office(which we urge any and all who have been told they CANT cancel within the proper state law time period to do so).

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

The reason why is the wording of the Act is literal. In essence you aren’t buying a timeshare or completing a real estate transaction and therefore doesn’t follow real estate legislation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
And yes Brian, I think the sampler strategy is slimy...for the record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I also dont believe it would hold up for one minute if push came to shove, thus why DRI allows owners who stand their ground to rescind as they should be legally allowed to.

Gooseman

Reaction score
I bought in Hawaii and am a CA resident. The contract clearly says I have 7 days to cancel the sampler....

Well, the cancellation/recission letter arrived at Diamond's Las Vegas office today. Since my contract is so clear about the 7 day cancellation period, if they give me a hard time I'll just dispute the charge with my credit card company (Chase).

Gooseman

Reaction score
Well, the cancellation/recission letter arrived at Diamond's Las Vegas office today. Since my contract is so clear about the 7 day cancellation period, if they give me a hard time I'll just dispute the charge with my credit card company (Chase).

Wow... I have to say I am quite surprised. I received the following email the same day that my recission letter arrived in Las Vegas.

-------------

Dear Member:

We are in receipt of your cancellation request with THE Sampler. Please accept this email as confirmation and assurance our team will be diligently working to review the rescission terms of your vacation ownership purchase (the “Agreement”) to determine contract cancellation details.

During this period, please allow 7-10 business days to complete the cancellation process. To avoid any delays with the cancellation process, we ask for your cooperation to refrain from submitting disputes to your credit card company or bank. If you are entitled to a refund, a credit will be issued back to the credit card previously tendered or a refund check will be issued based on the method of payment.

Once your contract has been officially cancelled, a confirmation cancellation status letter will be mailed to you.

Please feel free to contact our Member Services department at 877.DRI.CLUB (877.374.2582) with any questions.

Sincerely,

Escrow Department
Diamond Resorts Financial Services.

Gooseman

Reaction score
I got a phone call from someone at DRI in Hawaii today. I didn’t hear the phone ring so they left a msg. Should I ca all them back or just ignore it? I shouldn’t have to speak with them to cancel, do I?

Thanks!!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Ignore any calls, just trying to talk you out of rescinding the purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gooseman

Reaction score
On August 13 DRI issued a refund for the $3995 sampler on my credit card.

I bought the sampler in Hawaii and reside in California. I had a 7 day right to cancel clause in my contract and it worked...