• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dronophobia

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
An observation - Dronophobia

First, some background: I fly UAV’s, or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, more commonly referred to as drones. Well, right out of the gate, that’s a real problem, since the term ‘drone’ is inaccurate when applied to the small remote controlled craft, UAV’s. True drones are large, military devices commonly known for their destruction of targets, and reconnaissance. Unfortunately, it’s like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube, since no one knows what UAV’s are, but they darned well know what drones are.

I’ve flown UAV’s for both business and hobby, and have encountered numerous instances of belligerent people with a strong disdain for these 'drones'. “You’re not taking pictures with that DRONE are you??!”, and it just goes downhill from there.

Here’re a few facts: the vast majority of these UAV’s are outfitted with cameras that do NOT have zoom or telephoto lenses. So, to capture an image of your face and body, they need to be several feet away from you. Like that guy with the cell phone in the restaurant last night at the table next to yours. Second, trust me, the vast majority of UAV pilots are not interested in you whatsoever. Yes, there are idiots flying these; more on that in a moment.

Here’s some food for thought - nearly everyone on the planet has a high-resolution combo camera & videocamera in their hands, and are taking photos with loads of people in the background every day. If you drive, your face is being recorded at every fill up. Walked down a street, cameras are recording you. Bank? Stores? Businesses? Hallways? Guess what? Numerous high-resolution images are recorded of you every single day, unless you’re home bound.

No one is complaining about it. But, the camera on a drone flying many meters away from people is the real problem? Damned DRONE!

Of course the media does a great job of sensationalizing stories of the knuckleheads with UAV’s using them in moronic manners. Is that the reason why such a large percentage of people can’t stand them? Is it media’s fault?

What about the lost Alzheimers patients and children that have been located and saved? The runaway bad guy apprehended? Law enforcement use? Eliminating dangerous occupations, and on & on. You know, good guys with “drones”. Do they count?

There are idiots with golf clubs, tennis rackets, and yes, cell phones. Where is the disdain and general hate for cell phones? The goon texting & driving that kills someone seems to be overlooked.

I have a theory why “drones” have such a negative stigma, but am interested in any comments before I share it. Please do so, if you’re inclined.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Fact- CalFire crews had to ground fire fighting planes and helicopters in Napa and Sonoma counties due to drones.
Bad apples - of course.
But, happens never the less with no way to control.

While at WKORV - there was a drone right outside our villa balcony with camera pointing towards our villa. Wish I had some way to it down.

These are 2 real examples why drones have negative stigma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the distaste for drones comes from the possibility of them filming one in public. I think the distaste comes from the possibility of filming someone in an area that's generally regarded as private, such as a backyard. There generally aren't strangers with cell phones walking around in my backyard. And although I tend to not cruise around naked much :ponder:, there's the presumption that I should be able get away with it in my backyard hot tub. At a restaurant? Not so much.

So the big difference, and main reason for distaste, in my mind, is that a drone has the capability of invading my privacy. Not that much different than a neighbor that peers through your bedroom window from their living room with a telephoto lens. People tend to not like that either. Go figure.....

I personally have no issue with drones, in general, as they do serve many useful purposes. But I wouldn't hesitate to take one down if I felt it was wrongfully invading my privacy.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Don't fly it over anything but your property and public property.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fact- CalFire crews had to ground fire fighting planes and helicopters in Napa and Sonoma counties due to drones.
Bad apples - of course.
But, happens never the less with no way to control.

While at WKORV - there was a drone right outside our villa balcony with camera pointing towards our villa. Wish I had some way to it down.

These are 2 real examples why drones have negative stigma.

Going to have to dismiss this one for reasons I already pointed out. Namely, the fact is, for every two instances you can mention of UAV's causing a problem, I can reference several dozen of them being used for lifesaving & good purposes. Analogous to saying, fire is no damn good since arsonists burn down homes and cause wildfires every year. Once again, unless that drone was within a few feet away from you inside your villa, there's nothing that pilot saw. Trust me. Or, tell me about a time you have actively watched as a UAV pilot flew their craft, and what you saw. Remember, I fly these, and have many hours of experience with them. Do you?

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the distaste for drones comes from the possibility of them filming one in public. I think the distaste comes from the possibility of filming someone in an area that's generally regarded as private, such as a backyard. There generally aren't strangers with cell phones walking around in my backyard. And although I tend to not cruise around naked much :ponder:, there's the presumption that I should be able get away with it in my backyard hot tub. At a restaurant? Not so much.

So the big difference, and main reason for distaste, in my mind, is that a drone has the capability of invading my privacy. Not that much different than a neighbor that peers through your bedroom window from their living room with a telephoto lens. People tend to not like that either. Go figure.....

I personally have no issue with drones, in general, as they do serve many useful purposes. But I wouldn't hesitate to take one down if I felt it was wrongfully invading my privacy.

And how many times has this happened to someone you know, personally? That is, not second hand, but the person themselves. Anyone, ever? Said another way, how prevalent is this? Of course you'll hear it on the news, but how many times has it happened to you? Cameras with telephoto lenses in public have a far greater possibility of recording someone in an area regarded as private also. And what about people with telephotos at the beach? Any possibility that guy is taking more than beach photos? Once again, how familiar are you with the resolution of the UAV's, and how close you need to be from your subject to even determine if they are a man or woman?

Btw, I too would have no issue taking out a UAV if I thought it was invading my privacy. Difference is, I would know when they were wrongful, as opposed to having no clue what the pilot could and could not see.

Points well taken, none the less. Not my theory though...

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
One of my best friends is a newly retired fire fighter. He was the Chief and was involved with wild land fires on a rotating basis. They use drones for many things. The problem for them was occasionally some one would fly a drone into an active area where air craft was being used to suppress the fire which grounded the air craft.

Search and rescue use these all the time. I think its a pretty handy tool.

This summer while we were jeeping Sand Lake, Spike TV showed up with drones to show the area. Their drones were huge. It was interesting to watch them buzz the dunes. These drones could get close up pictures but they were very expensive drones.

Personally, I want a drone for fishing. I would use it take bait or lures out to bait balls. I think it may be illegal to use drones for hunting but that would be another use that would interest many.

Regarding the drone camera, I think they do have the capability to do close ups as I have watched you tube clips of drones fishing and you can see zoomed in video of fish taking bait. So I guess that the camera can be upgraded.

Bill

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You asked - I answered.

People are flying drones for personal reasons and not commercial use.

Not unlike a smoker that claims that they never throw a cig butt on the ground - yet... there they are.

Last edited:

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with drones being flown by professionals for a real purpose. When someone`s drone drops out of the sky five feet from a group of us I do not like it. When one flew into a friend`s motorhome causing damage we didn`t like it.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with drones being flown by professionals for a real purpose. When someone`s drone drops out of the sky five feet from a group of us I do not like it. When one flew into a friend`s motorhome causing damage we didn`t like it.

And I'd bet those that have been killed or seriously injured by a texting driver would express some contempt as well. No problem with cell phones though..

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
And I'd bet those that have been killed or seriously injured by a texting driver would express some contempt as well. No problem with cell phones though..

That's a false generalization. I, for one, would be very happy if cell phone ownership could be denied to everyone whose stupid use of a cellphone causes harm. Same with drones.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a false generalization. I, for one, would be very happy if cell phone ownership could be denied to everyone whose stupid use of a cellphone causes harm. Same with drones.

It's not false, since there is no such disdain for cell phones although they are the cause of severe injuries and deaths. I see no one complaining about them, none. I could also use someone else's logic here and suggest no one but professionals with professional business should be allowed to use a cell phone.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people DO take issue with texting drivers, AND drunk drivers, AND fully automatic weapons, AND flying airplanes into buildings, AND dirty bombs in backpacks. Consequently, there are measures taken every day to eliminate those things. And no, you don't have to have suffered directly from any of these things to not like them. It's called compassion.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It's not false, since there is no such disdain for cell phones although they are the cause of severe injuries and deaths. I see no one complaining about them, none. I could also use someone else's logic here and suggest no one but professionals with professional business should be allowed to use a cell phone.

How can you say you've seen no one complain about cell phones when you you're responding to my complaint about them?!

I've seen NO ONE in this thread complain that drones exist, only that the way some people use them is a problem so those people shouldn't have them. Your response to those comments was that no one ever says the same thing about cell phones, to which I then responded that yes, some of us do say exactly the same thing about cell phones.

What am I missing?!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are campaigns at every high school in America denouncing texting while driving. Not to mention the PSA's on TV and radio. Who's not complaining?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't do any good to deflect blame or responsibility, as SOME are wont to do. When someone brings up guns, the defender says, "what about cars?' and if someone brings up drones, their defender counters, 'everybody has a cell phone', and if the subject is untruth, immediate response comes back, 'he said (whatever) first', and wars start over some perceived insult made to someone else, somewhere far away.

I think that it isn't the drone itself, it's the perception of having one's personal space invaded. Back in the day, I made special trips to a local 'air park' to watch model aircraft loop and roll and fly mock dogfights, and to watch the skill with which their pilots put them through their paces. When 'model planes' became stable platforms for aerial photography, new pilots needed to explore the capabilities of this new tool, and the privacy, and safety of others became the first casualty.

Training and licensing of legitimate operators is key to proper operation, but with so many of them, and many being priced as- and operated like TOYS, the whole category is ripe for abuse.

Jim

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't do any good to deflect blame or responsibility, as SOME are wont to do. When someone brings up guns, the defender says, "what about cars?' .....

The gun/car "analogy" always gets me. As soon as someone breaks that argument out, I walk away because I know I'm dealing with a total dipshit.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft is prohibited in some National Parks for obvious and good reasons.

Cell phones are still allowed. Sometimes the selfie sticks attached to them look like a lightsaber battle.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
And how many times has this happened to someone you know, personally?
For me? At least three times in the past 12 months flying either directly over my property or along the edges. I've seen my property included in real estate ads for the "area", know my horses have been used as "test cases" for UAV tolerance (comparing their response to that of other nearby livestock), etc.

In most cases I've charged out to the edge of my property, located the pilot and demanded credentials and explanation. In other times I've simply entertained serious thought to shooting one down.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You dismiss those that cite specific examples of annoying use. And you are asking people to counter your false belief that there is some widespread campaign to ban the sale and use of drones. Yes, there are lots of people and entities studying them, including their misuse and other perceived ill effects. There have been various regulations instituted. But otherwise you've made up this anti-drone bogeyman that I don't see exists.

That being said, here's my drone story:
Once my family and I were at happy hour at a restaurant balcony overlooking the sand. Some jackwagon decided it would be fun to fly his drone up, point his camera at dozens of people, and slowly go back and forth flying about 3-5 feet from our faces. It was annoying and potentially dangerous. Eventually, some brave soul literally swatted the thing down with his jacket. The place erupted in cheers.

I can assure you if someone walked up and down a restaurant holding their camera filming directly at other patrons and their kids, just feet from the faces, it wouldn't end well either.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As for drones ... esp with cameras ... I expect privacy in my home and generally in my yard. Yes, I might have a neighbor who stands on their 8' stepladder .. to peer into my yard OR a chance to see into my yard from a 2nd floor window .... but to hover outside my 2nd floor bedroom window at night, NO. That is called a "Peeping Tom".

So someone should invent a cheap selling 'DRONE ZAPPER' ... sonic interference wave machine with a 35 -50 foot range with a laser sight ... so the little RED LIGHT lines up the drone. Operator hit the ZAP button, then it is a "DOWN & DEAD" drone. BUT the operator of the DRONE ZAPPER better make sure, the drone falls into their property.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP - I have extremely limited knowledge of what drones do, my only experience with them.

1. For an outdoor wedding video. The entire wedding party made their way to a dock and waived. Made for a very nice piece to the video.

2. Once at Smuggs a guy was using to video his kid on open part of a mountain bike course. Ok fine.

3. One of my neighbors about 4 houses up has one. This one is my issue. My other neighbor was using their pool in their bday suits....drone was above. The neighbor on my other side found the drone in his back yard once. Me...I have never seen it, but now I feel I need to close my curtains to my back yard when I get out of the shower in fear I am giving someone a show.

So for me....this is my entire experience with drones and #3 has more impact in my day to day thought of them than #1 or #2.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For me? At least three times in the past 12 months flying either directly over my property or along the edges. I've seen my property included in real estate ads for the "area", know my horses have been used as "test cases" for UAV tolerance (comparing their response to that of other nearby livestock), etc.

In most cases I've charged out to the edge of my property, located the pilot and demanded credentials and explanation. In other times I've simply entertained serious thought to shooting one down.

It is legal to shoot drones at your property if it is legal to shoot on your property. A shotgun with bird shot would work. :thumbup: In the city a t shirt cannon would work. I'm pretty good with a frisbee and think I could take one out if I could get within 100 ft. with a frisbee toss.

Bill

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
It is legal to shoot drones at your property if it is legal to shoot on your property. A shotgun with bird shot would work. :thumbup: In the city a t shirt cannon would work. I'm pretty good with a frisbee and think I could take one out if I could get within 100 ft. with a frisbee toss.

Bill
It is most certainly legal to shoot on my property ... as I've been reminded by local enforcement.

Me: I'm phoning to report a pack of domestic dogs just entered my property and attacked my hens. (Followed with description and likely source of the dogs.)
Animal Control: You have a gun, right? Don't forget you are permitted to shoot the dogs if they attacked your livestock.

Neighbor: (intercepted a break-in and held the intruder; phoned sheriff)
Sheriff: You have a gun, right?

Wild, wild west out here. UAV's not welcome.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator: