• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Direct Price Increase

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Maybe you could review posts on DVC Facebook, Mouseowners and DIS regarding the 2010/2011 reallocations, valet parking change and the current reallocation. All total likely well over 100 pages, that'd be a good start but only a start. But it's really not specific posts as much as it's information over time and the attitudes involved. It's been interesting to go from DVC basher on DIS to DVC apologist without any change in my own position as others opinions have changed when they stopped drinking the Kool-aid and swung far the other way. Personally I love DVC for what it is but I don't like to see people put themselves in jeopardy or spend a lot more than they should for a given options. For example, I've seen many people that bought DVC mainly for DCL cruising, IMO, a horrible approach.

I do not want to see people go into debt that they can’t afford for anything period. I have been reading all the DVC boards. I am still not sure what type of elitism you are referring to. I am surprised at how many people on the DVC boards are mad at Disney and attacking DVC. I do see a lot of awareness of DVC being a timeshare. I suspect when someone says “I own DVC but I would never own a TS” that they might mean “any other TS” besides DVC. I would not get upset about that or read elitism into it. Frankly, I think the Tuggers who know how to maximize their TS value are the winners.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Someone posted this today:

I'm starting to get so bummed out by all of the negativity I've read lately in my Disney forums. To lift my spirits, hit me with your happy stories and the things you like best about Disney!​

This is what I mean by I am not seeing elitism on the forums. I am seeing more negativity than happiness.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like this post:

I haven’t heard negative from other sites (except one, which is ALL negative due to ego)...get off of those sites!...Disney = happiness! ❤️

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Elitism, let’s say some are that doesn’t mean most are. I don’t think labeling any group of people based on how a few might act is a correct method of assessment. Within any group there will be some that think they are better and know better then you.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not want to see people go into debt that they can’t afford for anything period. I have been reading all the DVC boards. I am still not sure what type of elitism you are referring to. I am surprised at how many people on the DVC boards are mad at Disney and attacking DVC. I do see a lot of awareness of DVC being a timeshare. I suspect when someone says “I own DVC but I would never own a TS” that they might mean “any other TS” besides DVC. I would not get upset about that or read elitism into it. Frankly, I think the Tuggers who know how to maximize their TS value are the winners.
You have a very short experience timeframe, I have almost 25 years. My post, and Lisa P.'s are from many years of experience. It's been some time since the posts of "I don't own a timeshare, I own DVC" but even now if you read enough you'll see posts that approximate that. For me personally debt and afford to do in the same sentence when it comes to a luxury purchase such as a timeshare. It really has been interesting to see things go from almost everyone having drank the Kool-Aid to the realization that Disney is a business, DVC a timeshare and the system the THOUGHT was different really is just another timeshare that happens to be at WDW. IIRC I saw the big switch with the 2010/11 reallocation. I'd suggest you go back and read the valet parking threads of a few years ago, esp on DIS, where grown people were actually willing to put in writing that the membership should pay for their valet parking even though it would be at full price.

Yes many are upset with DVC right now and I can understand that. The reallocation was a bit weird and DVC has a history of being reactive rather than proactive with all types of things. For example, with the valet parking some arrived at WDW with free DVC valet parking and departed with a bill for parking with no warning or announcement. Many have lost faith in DVC and some feel they did the reallocation specifically to line their pockets by generating breakage inventory. Life's too short, if I felt that way and couldn't get past it, I'd sell esp with DVC where there is currently an easy exit though who knows what the future will bring along those lines.

Elitism, let’s say some are that doesn’t mean most are. I don’t think labeling any group of people based on how a few might act is a correct method of assessment. Within any group there will be some that think they are better and know better then you.
Of course, my point was that as a group they seem to me to have a higher % than other timeshares and a higher % of entitlement, I stand by that observation.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If someone says “I own DVC but I would never own a timeshare,” is that any different than non-TS owners snubbing their nose at TS owners and saying it’s a scam and implying someone is dumb for buying into a TS system? Could it be that the DVC sentiment is an extension of the general population’s distaste for TSs? The other group that says this are people who own fractionals but think it is not a TS. Some vacation clubs claim they are not TSs, probably because TSs have such a bad reputation. Everyone wants to distance themselves from the word “timeshare.” I think there is inherent elitism in vacationing patterns due to the wide variety of pricing and class status inherent in the vacation market. The vacation market is always rating things and setting up class systems within their systems. I have seen entitlement (i.e. thinking you are entitled to benefits) with Marriott, Wyndham, and others too. I think there is TS entitement thinking in general. Once someone has a benefit, they never want it taken away.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I think the reason DVC owners appear elitist is because they know they can rent their timeshare points for an easy profit
and turn around and pay cash for whatever it is that is offered as an exchange in any of the exchange companies.

For example, if you can rent your 200 DVC points for $15 and make $3,000, why give your week to RCI or II
and end up with a resort where you can just rent that same week from those same exchange companies for
$300-$1000?

I love Marriott, Starwood, Wyndham and Hyatt but I will never give my DVC points to an
exchange company for that reason. I've rented 3 bedrooms at Grande Vista from II for $350 a week.
It's a beautiful resort and I stay there often, but when DVC was with II this is considered a trade down
for any DVC member. I've also rented 3 bedrooms at Marriott Marbella for $600 a week from II.
I could just rent my DVC points and get 5 weeks of rentals in return for what they are wanting us
to just accept a one week in return for our points. I don't think so!!!

DVC and RCI even waives the exchange fees so they definitely know they need to offer us an incentive
to give up our points. No way Jose. I don't know where they are getting the inventory for RCI, but I
suspect it's mostly developer units from the sentiment of most DVCers.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think the reason DVC owners appear elitist is because they know they can rent their timeshare points for an easy profit
and turn around and pay cash for whatever it is that is offered as an exchange in any of the exchange companies.

For example, if you can rent your 200 DVC points for $15 and make $3,000, why give your week to RCI or II
and end up with a resort where you can just rent that same week from those same exchange companies for
$300-$1000?

I love Marriott, Starwood, Wyndham and Hyatt but I will never give my DVC points to an
exchange company for that reason. I've rented 3 bedrooms at Grande Vista from II for $350 a week.
It's a beautiful resort and I stay there often, but when DVC was with II this is considered a trade down
for any DVC member. I've also rented 3 bedrooms at Marriott Marbella for $600 a week from II.
I could just rent my DVC points and get 5 weeks of rentals in return for what they are wanting us
to just accept a one week in return for our points. I don't think so!!!

DVC and RCI even waives the exchange fees so they definitely know they need to offer us an incentive
to give up our points. No way Jose. I don't know where they are getting the inventory for RCI, but I
suspect it's mostly developer units from the sentiment of most DVCers.
I use my hgvc points to trade into DVC and that is a good deal. I believe the DVC weeks in RCI are owner weeks as DVC can make a lot of money renting, they have no reason to give RCI anything.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone says “I own DVC but I would never own a timeshare,” is that any different than non-TS owners snubbing their nose at TS owners and saying it’s a scam and implying someone is dumb for buying into a TS system? Could it be that the DVC sentiment is an extension of the general population’s distaste for TSs? The other group that says this are people who own fractionals but think it is not a TS. Some vacation clubs claim they are not TSs, probably because TSs have such a bad reputation. Everyone wants to distance themselves from the word “timeshare.” I think there is inherent elitism in vacationing patterns due to the wide variety of pricing and class status inherent in the vacation market. The vacation market is always rating things and setting up class systems within their systems. I have seen entitlement (i.e. thinking you are entitled to benefits) with Marriott, Wyndham, and others too. I think there is TS entitement thinking in general. Once someone has a benefit, they never want it taken away.
Of course, I get that many buy DVC that would not buy other timeshares because it's Disney. To them it's a discount to go to Disney and many would not buy other timeshares or use DVC to exchange (as they shouldn't). That's different and would not be an example of the issue IMO, I have no problem with that and even within DVC there are many that are resort specific as well and would not have bought DVC except for X or Y resort. My personal experience and opinion comes from reading hundreds of thousands of posts specifically DVC related. You might want to take into account that you've got 3 people here who have over 60 yeas combined experience with DVC and with the most active DVC related site and all of which still have many positive things to say about Disney and DVC.
I use my hgvc points to trade into DVC and that is a good deal. I believe the DVC weeks in RCI are owner weeks as DVC can make a lot of money renting, they have no reason to give RCI anything.
To my knowledge they have never done routine developer deposits. What they do is pool the points traded and deposit accordingly, usually SSR at this point.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I think there is inherent elitism in vacationing patterns due to the wide variety of pricing and class status inherent in the vacation market. The vacation market is always rating things and setting up class systems within their systems.
Perhaps. But the idea that a marketing program uses luxury appeal to sell is not unique to DVC. Yet I've seen SO MANY posts and threads by DVC members more-or-less stating "[my] DVC is the BEST" implying it's better than anything else out there (which of course other readers own). I'm not referring to "I love my ownership", but rather to comparative statements. I've also read many, many posts from people who say things like, "If I can't stay onsite at WDW at a deluxe property, why bother? That's why I bought DVC." These kinds of comparative statements may not be typed with one's nose up, and not intended as a put-down to others, but they come off as rude and... elitist. I could count on one hand the number of Hyatt, Four Seasons, or Marriott owners that I've seen initiate threads like this, though I consider these timeshares more luxurious than DVC. JMO, FWIW.

I believe the DVC weeks in RCI are owner weeks as DVC can make a lot of money renting, they have no reason to give RCI anything.
Absolutely agree, Panina. I don't think most DVC members are particularly hesitant to use their points for RCI exchange, at least the first time they do it. DVC members who frequent TUG and DisBoard and learn about renting out their points are probably a relatively small subset of the full DVC membership. It's easy to forget that if people don't think they need to investigate options, they don't bother searching for them. They just ask a company rep.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hate to say it but I agree with this statement: "If I can't stay onsite at WDW at a deluxe property, why bother? That's why I bought DVC."

I would not bother going to WDW if I have to stay offsite. But there are many places I will not visit if I cannot go the way I want to travel. I also want ocean views when I go to Hawaii or I do not want to go.

There are no forums for Four Seasons owners that I know of but believe me, there is elitism there more than at DVC.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course, I get that many buy DVC that would not buy other timeshares because it's Disney. To them it's a discount to go to Disney and many would not buy other timeshares or use DVC to exchange (as they shouldn't). That's different and would not be an example of the issue IMO, I have no problem with that and even within DVC there are many that are resort specific as well and would not have bought DVC except for X or Y resort. My personal experience and opinion comes from reading hundreds of thousands of posts specifically DVC related. You might want to take into account that you've got 3 people here who have over 60 yeas combined experience with DVC and with the most active DVC related site and all of which still have many positive things to say about Disney and DVC.

To my knowledge they have never done routine developer deposits. What they do is pool the points traded and deposit accordingly, usually SSR at this point.

I am not disagreeing that there could be elitism but the examples given do not sound like elitism to me. I do not see Disney as being elite so how could someone claim it is better or superior. To me, elitism would be saying I will only stay in 5 star hotels. Or insulting people who make different decisions than you. Or looking down on people who one sees as inferior. The fact that DVC owners pay a premium to own it and only want to stay there and many do not own other TSs, does not seem elitist. Perhaps some people feel insulted by that but I still do not understand why. There are many things we have preferences for but that does not mean anything at all about other people. Many people look down on Disney and make comments that it is just for kids or that it is fake or "been there, done that." In the real world outside of TSs, Disney is considered middle of the road and I know many people who would not be caught dead on a Disney property. That is why Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton moved to Orlando, I guess. However, I would not want to stay at Four Seasons or the Ritz in Orlando if I can stay onsite at WDW. I would not say that about any other city, just Orlando. The only reason I would go to Orlando is to visit WDW so why would I want to stay far away. Maybe this is elitist but it seems practical to me. I respect your experience reading the forums and I trust there must be some people who mistakenly believe that Disney is better or superior than any place else. I do not agree and I would be perplexed if I ran across a statement like that but I doubt it would bother me or that I would care. I would be happy that the person loves Disney and thinks they have the best of the best (in their opinion). My original question was why are there so many Disney and DVC haters. I guess that is a normal human reaction to what one perceives as an elitist attitude. Let's hate the other person and tear them down because I think they think they are better than me.

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I hate to say it but I agree with this statement: "If I can't stay onsite at WDW at a deluxe property, why bother? That's why I bought DVC." I would not bother going to WDW if I have to stay offsite. But there are many places I will not visit if I cannot go the way I want to travel. I also want ocean views when I go to Hawaii or I do not want to go.
LOL. :wave: I have a different view. When I was in high school, my mom took my sister and me on a 3-week youth hostel and Eurail train trip after visiting relatives overseas. Her 5-6 coworkers all said, "If I can't visit Europe first class, why bother? I'll save up." We had an AMAZING time. Not one of them ever did travel to Europe. I would never want to discourage people from the experiences of frequent travel by suggesting it's not worth bothering if it's not one's top choice. But that's just me.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LOL. :wave: I have a different view. When I was in high school, my mom took my sister and me on a 3-week youth hostel and Eurail train trip after visiting relatives overseas. Her 5-6 coworkers all said, "If I can't visit Europe first class, why bother? I'll save up." We had an AMAZING time. Not one of them ever did travel to Europe. I would never want to discourage people from the experiences of frequent travel by suggesting it's not worth bothering if it's not one's top choice. But that's just me.

I did the youth hostel thing in college. I have been many places and not stayed in nice places in the past. It is just not how I choose to travel now that I am old. This does not mean I look down on other people who make different choices. That is my point. Just because someone says they like something and would not do something different does not mean they are looking down on others. I have many well-off friends who hate to spend money on expensive hotels. That is fine with me. Frankly, I started time sharing because I can get so much more space and value and stay in very nice places for the same or less that staying in hotels. Many of my friends and family look down on me for time sharing. I do not care because I am happy with my choices. One of my very wealthy friends just asked me to pick up waffle mix at Walmart next time I am in Hawaii because they do not want to pay for shipping. I found this really funny because I know they can afford $5 extra but we all make different choices.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did a search with the word “elitism” on one of the disney boards. I finally found a post that I would consider to be real elitism. Frankly, just down right snobbish. To me, this is elitism at its worst. This person does not want to share a gondola with people staying at a value resort!

This was the question:
Are you saying that having to share transportation with guests from Value resorts will somehow dilute the value of a DVC resort? Will DVC members actually be bothered by having to mingle with others who paid less for their hotel rooms? Would DVC members be upset that their gondola may actually travel across a Moderate or (shutter!!) a Value Resort?​

Surely I'm not the only DVC member that finds such opinions unsettling.​

This was the snobby response:
Sorry, I don't find the post you quoted as unsettling ... but honest. We once opted to book an inside cabin on a short, weekend cruise with a mid-scale line (Celebrity). We learned it was a mistake not because we didn't enjoy the accommodations but because it placed us with a table of 'undesirable' neighbors who, likely, also had inside cabins. While we generally are delighted to find that our table mates are well traveled with lots of stories, this table was filled with young adults bent on out-drinking one another. Bah.​

We've seen similar on various Disney bus routes. And, yes, we'd be unhappy to share a gondola if crowded with a similarly obnoxious, alcohol loving, crowd. So, I'll go out on a limb and say I hope that gondola cars are run in such a manner that resort-levels are separated into different gondola cars. This car is for Riviera ... that car is for the value/mod on the same route.​

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not disagreeing that there could be elitism but the examples given do not sound like elitism to me.
It seemed you were, I do think that a larger % of members going forward are more aware of the limitations of the system and the realities than in the past so some of this should be less than historically.
I do not see Disney as being elite so how could someone claim it is better or superior. To me, elitism would be saying I will only stay in 5 star hotels. Or insulting people who make different decisions than you. Or looking down on people who one sees as inferior. The fact that DVC owners pay a premium to own it and only want to stay there and many do not own other TSs, does not seem elitist. Perhaps some people feel insulted by that but I still do not understand why. There are many things we have preferences for but that does not mean anything at all about other people. Many people look down on Disney and make comments that it is just for kids or that it is fake or "been there, done that." In the real world outside of TSs, Disney is considered middle of the road and I know many people who would not be caught dead on a Disney property. That is why Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton moved to Orlando, I guess. However, I would not want to stay at Four Seasons or the Ritz in Orlando if I can stay onsite at WDW. I would not say that about any other city, just Orlando. The only reason I would go to Orlando is to visit WDW so why would I want to stay far away. Maybe this is elitist but it seems practical to me. I respect your experience reading the forums and I trust there must be some people who mistakenly believe that Disney is better or superior than any place else. I do not agree and I would be perplexed if I ran across a statement like that but I doubt it would bother me or that I would care. I would be happy that the person loves Disney and thinks they have the best of the best (in their opinion).
I agree that DVC is a means to an end. They do/have done some things well and others not so much. DVC is more flexible than most and they do theming well (though less well the last few years). They lag on refurbishment and handling problems while in residence in my experience compared to some of the other companies. Personally I'm OK with being on site or off site and enjoy each for different reasons, I do not consider it elitist if one has a preference for a system or even a resort. Still, in my experience over the years, I've seen lots of examples of things that I believe would meet your definition. Part of the problem is a single post, no matter how elitist, doesn't prove the point. It takes a pattern over time. Even within DVC I've seen many examples that are resort to resort or based on the price paid or the method of purchase. Personally I'd rather be at DVC, Marriott, Bluegreen's Fountains or Hilton or even Silver Lakes, Vistana or several other mid level resorts than a high end hotel because I enjoy the space and feel more comfortable there.

Here's some personal experiences where some would see me as elitist and this is not what I would personally call elitism for DVC or otherwise, others may disagree. Basically in timeshares some are location oriented and some resort oriented though obviously most have some element of both. For us personally for HH, I have no interest in staying at Harbour Pointe or SP. I've stayed at the location and used to own a week at HP, it's just below our comfort level. We prefer Grande Ocean over the others. For Aruba we prefer the Marriott's and though I own with Bluegreen also, I consider LaCabana near the bottom of my comfort level, I'd stay there if I didn't have choices but not otherwise.

My original question was why are there so many Disney and DVC haters. I guess that is a normal human reaction to what one perceives as an elitist attitude. Let's hate the other person and tear them down because I think they think they are better than me.
My answer to this question related to TUG is there are several groups that are additive. These include the ones that have seen examples of what I'd personally consider elitist, the ones that perceive DVC as an outlier and elitist because they don't see themselves as owning a timeshare (even though most today actually technically know they do) and those that just hate Disney for whatever reason.
I did a search with the word “elitism” on one of the disney boards. I finally found a post that I would consider to be real elitism. Frankly, just down right snobbish. To me, this is elitism at its worst. This person does not want to share a gondola with people staying at a value resort!
I think we could find examples for lot's of resorts, to me it's the aggregate information that I am referencing. Also recall that I was lumping elitism and entitlement together as a group, the latter is probably the bigger issue in terms of DVC Members being outliers.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If elitism means “I think my thing is better than your thing,” then that is everywhere. I see it all the time on TUG with MVC points people vs MVC weeks people (although most points people also have weeks but not necessarily the other way around). Can you imagine Disney elitism 2.0? The next battle will occur with DVC members when they start comparing legavcy 14 to new DVC. The battle will now take place with each other. I already see that battle starting. The legacy people vs the new people.

I see entitlement among all timeshare owners. Right now, I see it with the Marriott merger.

Maybe there is more entitlement and elitism among DVC owners but I see it all over the place.

I think people like to insult others i.e. become “haters” to make themselves feel better about their own choices. It is a shame but I see that all over the place.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If elitism means “I think my thing is better than your thing,” then that is everywhere. I see it all the time on TUG with MVC points people vs MVC weeks people (although most points people also have weeks but not necessarily the other way around). Can you imagine Disney’s elitism 2.0? The next battle will occur with DVC members when they start comparing legavcy 14 to new DVC. The battle will now take place with each other. I already see that battle starting. The legacy people vs the new people.
My personal definition would be far more stringent than that, along the lines of your quote you labeled as such. That's a very strong example but I've been many others along those lines. DVC trash that own at a lower resort trading up, exchangers trading in, those who booked at moderates and were upgraded to SSR and the like. Regardless most members are decent people and I do understand the entitlement to a degree given the financial investment, I just don't agree that Disney owes us more than the legal commitment though some feel they should continue to wow us above that contractual commitment.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My personal definition would be far more stringent than that, along the lines of your quote you labeled as such. That's a very strong example but I've been many others along those lines. DVC trash that own at a lower resort trading up, exchangers trading in, those who booked at moderates and were upgraded to SSR and the like. Regardless most members are decent people and I do understand the entitlement to a degree given the financial investment, I just don't agree that Disney owes us more than the legal commitment though some feel they should continue to wow us above that contractual commitment.

I agree that is elitism by my definition too. That is pretty horrible. I have not seen that on TUG but I did find a DVC example pretty quickly when I went looking for it. If you are seeing that kind of elitism more often among DVC owners, I would agree it is bad. If you would have given me these examples in the first place, I would have agreed with you a long time ago. I do not think any company owes us more than the agreement. We all know the perks are extras and can be taken away or changed at any time. It is hard, though, when companies do that. It is like when someone gets laid off. They know it is possible but they get angry anyway and think the company owes them. Or when people complain about price increases, yet they want a raise at work. Humans are irrational and entitled. Or maybe it is rationale to want as much as you can get. When it leads to unhappiness, then it is self defeating.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Pot calling the kettle black?

FWIW, I'm the kettle.

This was the question:
Are you saying that having to share transportation with guests from Value resorts will somehow dilute the value of a DVC resort? Will DVC members actually be bothered by having to mingle with others who paid less for their hotel rooms? Would DVC members be upset that their gondola may actually travel across a Moderate or (shutter!!) a Value Resort?​

Surely I'm not the only DVC member that finds such opinions unsettling.​

This was the snobby response:
Sorry, I don't find the post you quoted as unsettling ... but honest. We once opted to book an inside cabin on a short, weekend cruise with a mid-scale line (Celebrity). We learned it was a mistake not because we didn't enjoy the accommodations but because it placed us with a table of 'undesirable' neighbors who, likely, also had inside cabins. While we generally are delighted to find that our table mates are well traveled with lots of stories, this table was filled with young adults bent on out-drinking one another. Bah.​

We've seen similar on various Disney bus routes. And, yes, we'd be unhappy to share a gondola if crowded with a similarly obnoxious, alcohol loving, crowd. So, I'll go out on a limb and say I hope that gondola cars are run in such a manner that resort-levels are separated into different gondola cars. This car is for Riviera ... that car is for the value/mod on the same route.​

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not bother going to WDW if I have to stay offsite...
A couple of years ago we enjoyed a 'Year of Disney'. We bought APs and banked and borrowed points to stay President's Week, Easter, and Christmas/New Years. But we're went for 9 days in August and stayed at a very nice Marriott. Except...that after making ADRs 9 days in a row in March and sitting on my computer in for the Nth time playing 30 day FP+ bingo I found myself channeling Scarlett and said...

As God is my witness...I'll never stay off-property again!

A day or two later I again channeled Scarlett and said "Fiddle-dee-dee!" (earthier expressions came to mind...though not to my lips in front of the kids). I had no idea that you could only book 7 days of FPs with an AP!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple of years ago we enjoyed a 'Year of Disney'. We bought APs and banked and borrowed points to stay President's Week, Easter, and Christmas/New Years. But we're went for 9 days in August and stayed at a very nice Marriott. Except...that after making ADRs 9 days in a row in March and sitting on my computer in for the Nth time playing 30 day FP+ bingo I found myself channeling Scarlett and said...

As God is my witness...I'll never stay off-property again!

A day or two later I again channeled Scarlett and said "Fiddle-dee-dee!" (earthier expressions came to mind...though not to my lips in front of the kids). I had no idea that you could only book 7 days of FPs with an AP!

I thought you can book Fast Passes for every day of your stay if you are staying onsite. Are you saying if you stay off site, they only let you book up to 7 days of FPs with an AP?

The reason I would only stay onsite at Walt Disney World is for the convenience. Disney can be the trip from hell if you do not have things planned well and/or take advantage of the onsite perks like easy transportation from airport and within WDW, early access to FP and dining reservations, extra magic hours, etc. For me, it is practicality and not elitism. Like I said earlier, I do not think DVCs are superior in any way to offsite hotels. Just that no one can beat the convenience of staying onsite. Especially since we travel from California.

However, for Disneyland, I prefer offsite so we can take the dogs and stay somewhere dog friendly. Disneyland is not so complicated like WDW.

Frankly, if WDW were not so busy and complicated, I would stay at one of the Marriotts too. Or use Bonvoy points for free nights at the Ritz.

Let me just add that I consider staying onsite at one of the themed DVC resorts to be part of the Disney experience. So that is another reason I like staying onsite. I love character breakfasts, watching animals from my balcony and other fun Disney experiences in the resorts themselves. In the future, we may go to WDW and skip the MK entirely.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you can book Fast Passes for every day of your stay if you are staying onsite. Are you saying if you stay off site, they only let you book up to 7 days of FPs with an AP?
The problem I ran into in 2017 I was offsite for my August stay.

BUT...it turns out that the 7 day AP FP limit applies on property as well! To be more specific, with an AP you can book FPs at 60 days for your length of stay (including split stays...so long as they are consecutive). But once you miss a day the 7 day limit applies...even if you are staying on property!

I'm running into this now. I'm hoping to stay for 8 nights over Xmas/New Years. And thinking of staying for 2 nights for President's weekend 2020. The 8 or 9 days of FPs in Dec/Jan is no problem. But I can't book the Feb FPs until I'm down to 6 days of FPs booked...and then I would get to add them day by day at about 45 days out. When I saw this online I couldn't believe it...but I called the WDW AP 'hotline' and they confirmed it. Bleccch.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The problem I ran into in 2017 I was offsite for my August stay.

BUT...it turns out that the 7 day AP FP limit applies on property as well! To be more specific, with an AP you can book FPs at 60 days for your length of stay (including split stays...so long as they are consecutive). But once you miss a day the 7 day limit applies...even if you are staying on property!

I'm running into this now. I'm hoping to stay for 8 nights over Xmas/New Years. And thinking of staying for 2 nights for President's weekend 2020. The 8 or 9 days of FPs in Dec/Jan is no problem. But I can't book the Feb FPs until I'm down to 6 days of FPs booked...and then I would get to add them day by day at about 45 days out. When I saw this online I couldn't believe it...but I called the WDW AP 'hotline' and they confirmed it. Bleccch.

For February, are you staying offsite or onsite? If you are staying offsite, that policy makes sense but if you are staying onsite, it makes no sense.