• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Direct Price Increase

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For February, are you staying offsite or onsite? If you are staying offsite, that policy makes sense but if you are staying onsite, it makes no sense.
Sorry...I should have been clearer. The February stay would be on property.

Thus I can book further out than 30 days...around 45-ish...but I wouldn't get to book at 60.

The guy on the AP 'hotline' didn't give a reason for the policy but the guess on FB was that the 7 day limit is to prevent AP holders from making a 'phantom' on property reservation, booking FPs at 60 days, and then cancelling the reservation and staying off property.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Sorry...I should have been clearer. The February stay would be on property.

Thus I can book further out than 30 days...around 45-ish...but I wouldn't get to book at 60.

The guy on the AP 'hotline' didn't give a reason for the policy but the guess on FB was that the 7 day limit is to prevent AP holders from making a 'phantom' on property reservation, booking FPs at 60 days, and then cancelling the reservation and staying off property.

That still sounds strange to me. If you have an onsite reservation, if you delete it, I think the FPs disappear. I think even the dining reservations disappear. I have made reservations and cancelled them and everything disappeared.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That still sounds strange to me...
Strange...but true. I didn't believe it myself when I read it and so called the AP Hotline myself the next morning to verify (407-WDW-PASS if you ever need it).

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no idea that you could only book 7 days of FPs with an AP!

yep - I hit this last year in my "year of Disney." I stayed about 5 weeks within a 12 month period with my AP (mostly offsite with some DVC). One trip was at the end of November, then I took a week off to visit my workplace again before heading back in early December. Had some issues booking FPs as a result since I hit the 7 day limit. That was a definite learning experience...

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That still sounds strange to me. If you have an onsite reservation, if you delete it, I think the FPs disappear. I think even the dining reservations disappear. I have made reservations and cancelled them and everything disappeared.

If you delete the reservation within 30 days, your FP+ reservations will stay. I did this last year, since FP+ for FoP was pretty much impossible to get if you were staying offsite. It's annoying, but it makes the trip to the parks bearable.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
They should update the system so if you delete your hotel reservation, you lose the FP to avoid people from gaming the system. It would also help them with reservation retention. I am sure they can come up with a way to prevent this problem and fix that 7-day limit for onsite reservations.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They should update the system so if you delete your hotel reservation, you lose the FP to avoid people from gaming the system. It would also help them with reservation retention. I am sure they can come up with a way to prevent this problem and fix that 7-day limit for onsite reservations.
Since you can make FP on your own without a pass or on site stay in some situations and people have to change from time to time, they likely don't want to do so. If they did, even a change from one unit or resort to another would likely loss the FP.

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you can make FP on your own without a pass or on site stay in some situations and people have to change from time to time, they likely don't want to do so. If they did, even a change from one unit or resort to another would likely loss the FP.

Yeah, there could be a lot of issues with deleting FP reservations, since people often change dates, rooms, or do split stays. They could change it so that you can only book 60 days out for each day you are staying at a resort (which would create more specific, eligible days for FP+), but I don't think that would help their bottom line. Most people who do throw-away rooms buy one night and are able to get FP+ at 60 days for each day of their tickets (so, 1 night at the campgrounds lets you reserve FP+ at 60 days out for each day you have a park ticket). That's just free money for WDW, so I doubt they will change that process. We do the same thing at Universal, where 1 night in a premier hotel gets the whole family unlimited express passes for 2 days. Most of the time, we never set foot in the room.

At the end of the day, AP tickets need to have a limit on the number of days they can reserve FP+, since the tickets themselves are unlimited. They don't want AP holders simply taking up all of the availability inside the 30 day window. I'd agree that you should be able to reserve FP+ at 60 days out for the entire length of your on-site stay, but it sounds like that is already possible. The problem seems to be reserving that far out when you have already hit your maximum FP+ days for an earlier trip (unless I am misunderstanding the previous posts).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd agree that you should be able to reserve FP+ at 60 days out for the entire length of your on-site stay, but it sounds like that is already possible. The problem seems to be reserving that far out when you have already hit your maximum FP+ days for an earlier trip (unless I am misunderstanding the previous posts).
Yes, with an AP you can reserve FP+ at 60 days for your entire reservation (or multiple reservations so long as they are contiguous) even if it is longer than 7 days. But if you miss a day then you hit the 7 day limit - even if staying on property.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like their 7 day rule only penalizes people who stay offsite at some point during a period of time when annual passholders are trying to book Fastpasses. Is that correct?

If so, then I guess it is not in their best interests to change it since their goal is to get people to stay onsite as often as possible.

I think they do need a solution for people who book an onsite reservation that they have no intention of using and then cancel it to have gotten the early FPs.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like their 7 day rule only penalizes people who stay offsite at some point during a period of time when annual passholders are trying to book Fastpasses. Is that correct?
No - even if you stay onsite you can't make FPs. That is the unbelievable but true absurdity of it all.

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you book FPs for something like 60 consecutive days to cover multiple vacations? That seems like a terrible solution, but I'm curious if it would work.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - even if you stay onsite you can't make FPs. That is the unbelievable but true absurdity of it all.

I understood that. What I meant is if you only stay onsite, you would never have the 7 day limit come up. Is that correct?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understood that. What I meant is if you only stay onsite, you would never have the 7 day limit come up. Is that correct?
No. If you only stay ONCE onsite the 7 day limit doesn't apply. But you'll be blocked from making fastpasses on any subsequent onsite stays (if the first stay is 7+ days).

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No. If you only stay ONCE onsite the 7 day limit doesn't apply. But you'll be blocked from making fastpasses on any subsequent onsite stays (if the first stay is 7+ days).

Wow, that is a surprise. So if you do 2 onsite stays with a break in between, you cannot book Fps? For example, I went to WDW last August and booked 8 days of FP. I will go again in May and want to book 9 days of FP. Will I hit the 7 day limit? I am staying onsite both times and I have an AP.

I think if you are staying onsite for any number of days at any time, Disney should allow you to always book FPs or the benefit of staying onsite has just been eliminated.

I can see this making sense if you are not doing any onsite stays though because otherwise they could not control if people were actually using the FPs or not.

Maybe they think 7 days of FPs is enough for the majority of their guests but that is not true because many people who travel from faraway would tend to stay longer and need more than 7 days.

Another question, if I do not have an AP, would I not be subjected to the 7 day limit under the same scenario?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a surprise. So if you do 2 onsite stays with a break in between, you cannot book Fps? For example, I went to WDW last August and booked 8 days of FP. I will go again in May and want to book 9 days of FP. Will I hit the 7 day limit? I am staying onsite both times and I have an AP.
No, because FPs only exist for at most 60 days + the length of your stay. So August and the next May is OK.

I'm running into a problem because President's week starts 45-ish days after our Xmas/New Years stay. So 60 days out from when I should be booking those Feb FPs I will still have our 9 days of Xmas/New Years FPs 'on the books'.
Another question, if I do not have an AP, would I not be subjected to the 7 day limit under the same scenario?
No (I think). I'm actually about to call about this. My understanding is that if I buy a 9 day ticket and then a 2-3 day ticket for a month or two later I will be able to book FPs for both - the 7 day limit is for APs only.

I'm also going to ask what happens if I buy an AP...but then also buy a 2 day ticket. In other words, is the system smart enough to let me use the 2 day ticket to book FPs even though I have an AP. Having the AP benefits like free parking almost makes it worth it...and if I consider getting to buy next year's AP at the renewal price I think it puts buying the AP + a 2 day ticket over the top.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a bad policy for AP people who stay on site. These are their best customers. You would think they would have a technical workaround. I hope this does not apply to DVC owners.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, because FPs only exist for at most 60 days + the length of your stay. So August and the next May is OK.

I'm running into a problem because President's week starts 45-ish days after our Xmas/New Years stay. So 60 days out from when I should be booking those Feb FPs I will still have our 9 days of Xmas/New Years FPs 'on the books'.
No (I think). I'm actually about to call about this. My understanding is that if I buy a 9 day ticket and then a 2-3 day ticket for a month or two later I will be able to book FPs for both - the 7 day limit is for APs only.

I'm also going to ask what happens if I buy an AP...but then also buy a 2 day ticket. In other words, is the system smart enough to let me use the 2 day ticket to book FPs even though I have an AP. Having the AP benefits like free parking almost makes it worth it...and if I consider getting to buy next year's AP at the renewal price I think it puts buying the AP + a 2 day ticket over the top.

Why would you want a 2 day pass and an AP at the same time?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you book FPs for something like 60 consecutive days to cover multiple vacations? That seems like a terrible solution, but I'm curious if it would work.
If you were going to WDW for a week, then a DCL cruise for a week, then back to WDW for a week it would solve that problem. Make a 'phantom' hotel reservation to cover the week you would be gone and 60 days out from your first check-in make your FPs for the 1st and 3rd weeks (it *should* look like a three week split stay to the FP system). Then once the last day of your 3rd week is 29 days away cancel the 'phantom' reservation and all your FPs should remain.

But I'm 45-ish days between stays so the 'phantom' reservation doesn't help - from what others have said FPs more than 30 days out disappear when the underlying stay is cancelled.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a bad policy for AP people who stay on site. These are their best customers. You would think they would have a technical workaround. I hope this does not apply to DVC owners.
You bet it does! BCV, BLT, and (oh please oh please ROFR gods) VGC.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you want a 2 day pass and an AP at the same time?
AP Discounts are the primary reason. Assuming buying both works I then have to figure out if it is worth it. How many days will I drive (at $20/day). TiW doesn't work on Holidays and there are many restaurants that take AP but not DVC. Also shops, events, tours, etc. And the Passholder line. And Disney Photopass. And AP Merch...though that is more of a financial negative...;-)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You bet it does! BCV, BLT, and (oh please oh please ROFR gods) VGC.

Armed you buying more DVC? I thought you were not happy with DVC.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
AP Discounts are the primary reason. Assuming buying both works I then have to figure out if it is worth it. How many days will I drive (at $20/day). TiW doesn't work on Holidays and there are many restaurants that take AP but not DVC. Also shops, events, tours, etc. And the Passholder line. And Disney Photopass. And AP Merch...though that is more of a financial negative...;-)

In my experience so far, I have not yet has different discounts as an AP vs DVC member. Everything I have purchased has offered the same discounts to both. Maybe I do not purchase much. Don’t you get free parking as a DVC member? What is TiW?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you buying more DVC? I thought you were not happy with DVC.
Not me...DVC has been the most rewarding of the three timeshare systems I own. And it seems like every year Disney has made staying on property more and more essential to an enjoyable WDW experience (at least at peak times).
I have not yet has different discounts as an AP vs DVC member....Don’t you get free parking as a DVC member? What is TiW?
Some discounts are the same AP vs DVC...some are different...some only discount AP. As for dining, Allears dining guide is at - http://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/archive/pl/disc_dining.pdf

As a DVC member you get free parking at the resort but not the parks - for that you need an AP. Xmas/New Years we hope to be at BCV/BLT so we'll walk to MK, EPCOT, and HS...but I prefer to drive to AK...so figure 2 days of parking. I don't know yet where we'll be at Pres Week...but I'm guessing AKV, OKW, or SSR. So 2-3 days of driving there.

TiW is Tables in Wonderland which you can buy as a DVC member or AP passholder. It costs $150 and in general gives you a 20% discount instead of 10%...but unlike AP and DVC TiW DOES discount alcohol. But it doesn't work on Holidays.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not me...DVC has been the most rewarding of the three timeshare systems I own. And it seems like every year Disney has made staying on property more and more essential to an enjoyable WDW experience (at least at peak times).
Some discounts are the same AP vs DVC...some are different...some only discount AP. As for dining, Allears dining guide is at - http://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/archive/pl/disc_dining.pdf

As a DVC member you get free parking at the resort but not the parks - for that you need an AP. Xmas/New Years we hope to be at BCV/BLT so we'll walk to MK, EPCOT, and HS...but I prefer to drive to AK...so figure 2 days of parking. I don't know yet where we'll be at Pres Week...but I'm guessing AKV, OKW, or SSR. So 2-3 days of driving there.

TiW is Tables in Wonderland which you can buy as a DVC member or AP passholder. It costs $150 and in general gives you a 20% discount instead of 10%...but unlike AP and DVC TiW DOES discount alcohol. But it doesn't work on Holidays.

I can’t keep up with all the discounts. I keep trying to remember but sometimes I forget to ask for the discounts. I was happy to get 15% off a bunch of private tours I booked for my May trip. That was a nice perk.

I thought theme park parking was free for DVC members staying onsite. I read this on DVC News:

Theme park parking is currently priced at $22 for standard parking or $44 for preferred. All Disney hotel guests--including DVC members--and Annual Passholders continue to receive complimentary standard parking at theme parks.​

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...y-world-adds-overnight-parking-fee-dvc-exempt

Has this changed since the summer?

I do not like driving at all in WDW. I do not like to rent a car. I love that Disney provides free transportation from the airport. I find WDW transportation within the parks to be super easy to use. When I go to WDW, I like to do split stays. On my AK park days, I like to stay at AKL. Then I move to another resort on the other days depending on what I want to do.

Last edited: