• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Resale Value

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What Dean says is true but subjective. If I were in the market for Disney Vacation Club points I would buy a Disney's Old Key West contract that expires in 2057 and has banked points from 2016 and 2017 included. They do exist. I know, because I bought two such contracts.

So far it has been very easy to get either a standard or savanna view at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas Resort. Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort is the easiest resort to get. Disney's Old Key West is either 2nd or third following SSR or AKV in availability.

Even though SSR maybe cheaper, is it where you want to go? I personally would buy somewhere where it is more difficult to get in at 7 months. My first choice would be a contract at OKW as described above but not because of the availability at 7 months; I just love it there.

I think with the new resort facilities at Disney's Villas at Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge?) would be my second choice however the contract runs out there in 2042.

If you plan on renting your points out to help pay your fees pick BCV, VGV, BLT or BWV. These resorts routinely sell out before the 7 month free for all.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What Dean says is true but subjective.
Not subject, it's simply math. It does include assumptions of inflation in the 3-4% range and of buy in price differences using either listing prices for both sides or ROFR prices both sides. If one is comparing say SSR or OKW to something with a cheaper specialty option directly, it also includes the presumption one would buy proportionally fewer points if buying at the destination options (SSR vs AKV value for example), that one would & could use the specialty option to the level of assumption and it also assumes you'd never get the cheaper option not owning there. To a degree my statements also assume one would invest the difference rather than simply spending it elsewhere at 4-5% return.

If I were in the market for Disney Vacation Club points I would buy a Disney's Old Key West contract that expires in 2057 and has banked points from 2016 and 2017 included. They do exist. I know, because I bought two such contracts.
They are available elsewhere as well. Maybe slightly less frequently but definitely findable for the locations I mentioned. My concerns with OKW are 2, dues and the transition. IMO both represent a decent amount of additional risk.

So far it has been very easy to get either a standard or savanna view at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas Resort. Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort is the easiest resort to get. Disney's Old Key West is either 2nd or third following SSR or AKV in availability.
Agreed. The last time I ran the numbers comparing SSR to use 100% of the time at AKV for standard to AKV points for value, one had to both use the value option at least 2/3 of the time AND buy the proportional fewer points to break even using AKV for value.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get the fact that it is difficult to get a value room at AKV but I have always been able to get in there using OKW points at 7 months. Add to that I like OKW much better than AKV, and SSR, and that becomes the tipping point in my equation. Even if points were much cheaper at the other resorts I wouldn't want to own there.

I have stayed in AKV many times in both a savanna and standard view. I love the extra bathroom and the animals. It was my Favorite resort for years. But in the last three or four years my guests and I have noticed a serious decline in cleanliness. It is really bad and I refuse to go back because of that.

SSR is loved by many; I am just not a fan myself. The resort reminds me of a mid priced hotel in many ways and the busses and pools are always too crowded for me. Then add the fact that there is no real restaurant on site and you have my reasons for not loving that resort.

And, if I wanted to stay at SSR I would put in an ongoing search for a one bedroom on RCI.com using my RCI points account (underlying dead from a Las Vegas Resort) Even with the outrageous fees Disney charges exchangers-- the bottomline would definitely be in my favor.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get the fact that it is difficult to get a value room at AKV but I have always been able to get in there using OKW points at 7 months. Add to that I like OKW much better than AKV, and SSR, and that becomes the tipping point in my equation. Even if points were much cheaper at the other resorts I wouldn't want to own there.

I have stayed in AKV many times in both a savanna and standard view. I love the extra bathroom and the animals. It was my Favorite resort for years. But in the last three or four years my guests and I have noticed a serious decline in cleanliness. It is really bad and I refuse to go back because of that.

SSR is loved by many; I am just not a fan myself. The resort reminds me of a mid priced hotel in many ways and the busses and pools are always too crowded for me. Then add the fact that there is no real restaurant on site and you have my reasons for not loving that resort.

And, if I wanted to stay at SSR I would put in an ongoing search for a one bedroom on RCI.com using my RCI points account (underlying dead from a Las Vegas Resort) Even with the outrageous fees Disney charges exchangers-- the bottomline would definitely be in my favor.
The same is true for OKW, other than possibly the 3BR at times, one can get in there with anything much easier than getting anything at AKV. OKW will be more expensive long term than SSR, gives no advantage unless one wants the 3BR, and offers the risk/uncertainty of the transition. If that's where one wants to stay most of the time it's not a bad choice but as a points cow, IMO, there are a number better choices.