• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Earthquakes , floods, tidal waves, storms

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Crazy world weather going on.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Crazy world weather going on.

Dave
Ummm. Earthquakes aren't weather, Dave. But yes, we've been told to expect the unexpected 'you know what' that shall not be named on TUG.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ummm. Earthquakes aren't weather, Dave. But yes, we've been told to expect the unexpected 'you know what' that shall not be named on TUG.

LOL! Ok, fair enough. I was referring to the typhoon AND the earthquake happening at the same time. Fires in western North America, and flooding in the midwest are technically not weather, either. But it all equals "not safe to go outside" kind of stuff. Ergo, "crazy weather." ;)

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All they need is for a volcano to ooze some lava and Japan would have Earth, Wind and Fire.

Floods are caused by weather for the most part. Drought is weather related. Every one knows that earthquakes happen when all the people in China exercise at the same time. :D

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like Hurrican Olivia could hit Hawaii. Lane may as well.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...6f3deffb6fc5d6c08671e779f940cffa4bc4abcff.png

WTPA22 PHFO 211433
TCMCP2

HURRICANE LANE FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 27
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP142018
1500 UTC TUE AUG 21 2018

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY...

A HURRICANE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR HAWAII COUNTY AND MAUI
COUNTY.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
*MAUI COUNTY...INCLUDING THE ISLANDS OF MAUI... LANAI... MOLOKAI AND
KAHOOLAWE
*HAWAII COUNTY

A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE
WITHIN THE WATCH AREA. A WATCH IS TYPICALLY ISSUED 48 HOURS BEFORE
THE ANTICIPATED FIRST OCCURRENCE OF TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS...
CONDITIONS THAT MAKE OUTSIDE PREPARATIONS DIFFICULT OR DANGEROUS.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AND ACROSS THE
NORTHWESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SHOULD CONTINUE TO CLOSELY MONITOR
THE PROGRESS OF HURRICANE LANE. ADDITIONAL TROPICAL STORM OR
HURRICANE WATCHES WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT.

HURRICANE CENTER LOCATED NEAR 14.1N 152.3W AT 21/1500Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 20 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST OR 275 DEGREES AT 10 KT

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Didn’t Lane pass by a couple of weeks ago? Your data says August 21. ?

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Lane missed the islands, except for a bunch of rain, but West Maui got very little rain, just enough to keep us inside.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Didn’t Lane pass by a couple of weeks ago? Your data says August 21. ?

Dave

Olivia is on track to pass by or hit Hawaii next week. At the very least there will be alot of rain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fect-hawaii-next-week/?utm_term=.d23b5cb28051

Florence is on track to hit the east coast next week.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurricane-florence-could-slam-east-coast-next-week-n907576

With so many timeshares on the coasts of both areas I kind of wonder how they will make out.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Olivia is on track to pass by or hit Hawaii next week. At the very least there will be alot of rain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fect-hawaii-next-week/?utm_term=.d23b5cb28051

Florence is on track to hit the east coast next week.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/hurricane-florence-could-slam-east-coast-next-week-n907576

With so many timeshares on the coasts of both areas I kind of wonder how they will make out.

Bill

As they say, "It IS the season..." I hope everyone and everything will be okay.

Dave

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made an effort to move to where I thought weather would not be much of an issue. Other then a longer then normal drought a few years ago so far so good.

I wish everyone the best and hope everyone gets good insurance for these events if needed.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tonights news claimed that Florence might drop up to 7 feet of rain in North Carolina. The weather person says 20 inches. Either way, that alot of rain.

There was a m7 earthquake off the north coast of Zealand and many more significant earthquakes in the Kermedic Island region around Figi.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000hbpv#executive

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
One storm we are not really hearing about is Typhon Mangkhut. It is very powerful and will likely be causing more damage than Florence.

I opened the link and also did some more reading about Mangkhut. It is coming in as a cat 5. I knew the Philippines had been hit hard in 2013 and 2016 and will be hit again but Hong Kong and Macau are expected to be in the direct path of this typhoon. Mangkhut is expected to be the worst storm to hit Hong Kong in 6 decades. Hong Kong and Macau both have a more dense population and more infrastructure than where Mangkhut is expected to hit in the Philippines which is why hurricanes and tropical storms that are projected to hit our East coast are taken so seriously.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Today there are three entire cities in MA being evacuated because of gas explosions. There are now official reports of over 20 explosions and unofficial reports of over 50 explosions. The cause is maybe over pressurized gas lines, not terrorists, is the unofficial word. It does seem odd that this happens as Florence begins.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/13/lawrence-fires-explosions-gas-main/
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1040352197932797952
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/1...-destroy-at-least-20-homes-officials-say.html

Bill

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Today there are three entire cities in MA being evacuated because of gas explosions. There are now official reports of over 20 explosions and unofficial reports of over 50 explosions. The cause is maybe over pressurized gas lines, not terrorists, is the unofficial word. It does seem odd that this happens as Florence begins.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/13/lawrence-fires-explosions-gas-main/
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1040352197932797952
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/1...-destroy-at-least-20-homes-officials-say.html

Bill

Since 9/11/2001 we no longer dismiss things as coincidence.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Typhon Mangkhut is bearing down on the Philippines. 165 mph winds.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Unbelievable. Leaves me in chills.
Yes, it is unbelievable -- because it is a FAKE. Se the original video (from over a year ago) that was posted on YouTube, and read the comments:

Bill -- you might work on not being so gullible. ;)

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it is unbelievable -- because it is a FAKE. Se the original video (from over a year ago) that was posted on YouTube, and read the comments:

Bill -- you might work on not being so gullible. ;)

Kurt

When the link first appeared it only had one comment. Now that it has dozens I would have known. Even so, it doesn't make Mangkhut a fake typhoon.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
When the link first appeared it only had one comment. Now that it has dozens I would have known. Even so, it doesn't make Mangkhut a fake typhoon.
No worries, Bill -- I was just giving you a hard time. :D:D:D

Kurt

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
  • I made an effort to move to where I thought weather would not be much of an issue. Other then a longer then normal drought a few years ago so far so good.
I wish everyone the best and hope everyone gets good insurance for these events if needed.
So where do you live? I am kinda done with the SC coast. Please feel free to PM me if you want to be discreet about your location. TIA!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
So where do you live? I am kinda done with the SC coast. Please feel free to PM me if you want to be discreet about your location. TIA!

Our neighbors who work for the Dept. of Agriculture and get sent all over Florida were just telling us last night about Sarasota being such a great place to live weather wise. When I tried to find out more about what they were saying this is what I found.

"There is a legend that locals here know (and some believe) that when the state was inhabited by Indian tribes they would travel here during hurricane season (it obviously wasn't called that back then but they knew what time of year the storms would come in) because they saw it as being a safe haven. They have Indian burial grounds here and that is a legend that is told to explain why we haven't been directly hit by a hurricane in a long time. Now, science explains that our bay is so small that we don't “pull” the storms toward us in the same ways that Tampa, Naples, Miami, and places on the other coast do. Take your pick and do your own research but, I have lived here since 1988 and consider myself a local (I was born in ‘87, so I grew up here) and that is my understanding" This was posted by Kimberly Woodruff.

"Before we moved to Sarasota in 1987, I got a map showing all hurricane tracks back to 1900, and it showed only 3 even close. The traditional track from Africa means that the storm would have to do a 180 degree turn to come in over the gulf. We came close in 2004 when Charlie was headed for us. It turned up the Peace River (they like to follow waterways) and hit Punta Gorda and Charlotte Harbor in a major blow." John MacKay of Sarasota posted that.