• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EBAY or TUG for buying resale points?

djgcfp

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I have been doing due diligence and there is obviously a lot of ins and outs with TimeShare ownership. However, I am getting closer to making a purchase of resale points and I want to know what peoples thoughts are on here about actually purchasing through members of this site vs. something like Ebay. Is it safe to buy through another member? How does it generally work? Should I require an escrow company hold the funds? Suggestions would be appreciated!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
whichever one has the ad you like the most =)

there are a number of checklists and articles in the advice section that provide great suggestions on "what to ask" or verify before any purchase

http://advice.tug2.net

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
For us, loyal & enthusiastic about TUG as we are, it's eBay all the way for resale timeshares (points or weeks mox nix).

Our guiding timesharing principle is el cheapo, meaning luxury vacation accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

For that, eBay has worked out best (i.e., cheapest) for us, not always but most of the time.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have bought 5 timeshares resale, one deeded the rest points (Wyndham). Some on ebay, some on TUG. The most I ever paid was $1000 including all transfer fees/closing costs, and I probably overpaid. One I paid $50, another I got for nothing. I never used escrow or a broker.

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always used EBay except for our first resale purchase. That was from a TS seller in Branson. We bought 6 TS on EBay. I do not have any experiences buying on TUG. Best to check prices and reputation of a EBay sellers.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also note that unlike ebay, TUG ads are up for negotiation!

most folks arent going to walk away from a valid buyer over a few dollars difference in price between their ad and one on Ebay. plus you have the knowledge that you arent supporting upfront fee resellers dumping inventory they obtained by fleecing unsuspecting owners!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have been doing due diligence and there is obviously a lot of ins and outs with TimeShare ownership. However, I am getting closer to making a purchase of resale points and I want to know what peoples thoughts are on here about actually purchasing through members of this site vs. something like Ebay. Is it safe to buy through another member? How does it generally work? Should I require an escrow company hold the funds? Suggestions would be appreciated!
If a Tug seller has been a member for years with lots of activity participating on tug I would feel very comfortable. If you were getting it for a very low price again I would feel comfortable. If the tug member was a recent joiner and you were paying quite a bit I would require an escrow company to hold the funds. As far as eBay, make sure the seller is a honest seller. Check them out on tug thru prior posts or just ask us.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also note that in every TUG ad at the bottom corner is a display showing how long the individual has been a TUG member.

while certainly not a guarantee or anything as there could be folks that have been members for years that could not know what they own...vs someone who just joined today and would provide a smooth and seamless transaction... its just an additional helpful tool to gauge who you are entering an agreement with.

that and consider that the majority of timeshares for sale on Ebay are listed by brokers...and they are merely listing what they believe to be accurate information provided to them by whoever obtained that inventory for them to dump on ebay.

where as on TUG/etc...you generally are dealing directly with an owner...and for those brokers who do advertise do so regularly and in most cases are very pleasant to deal with in terms of verifying data and answering questions!

johnnythatsmyboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have bought 2 Timeshares; 1 on eBay and 1 on TUG. Each purchase was based on specific parameters. Our first was an RCI Points timeshare which we purchased on eBay. This purchase was made after reading numerous posts on TUG (thank you Ron Parise). Our second was purchased on TUG based on our desire for day use privileges at a specific resort. I applaud you for your due diligence and wish you the best in your search.