• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ebay selling a VIP Platinum Account?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/232311308114?

This was relisted to provide more up to date details - it's now 1.214 Mn overall points. The listing indicates it has 979K even year points and 1,429K odd year points, plus it now appears to include the Wyndham program fee in the total MF cost. It may be for converted fixed weeks.

For an existing Gold VIP, it's cheaper and less risky to either add do a retail purchase and add two 3 bedroom PIC weeks or hope that converting a couple of Bali Hai Villas fixed weeks will do the trick (but I'd get it put in writing that the upgrade in your account to VIP Platinum is included in the retail purchase!).

no question this wouldnt be the deal for you if you are already gold, making the jump to Platinum. but from no VIP to Platinum this is the deal of a lifetime.

My concern today, given the new rules, is; just how valuable is a VIP account?

Campbell Vaughn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana St Augustine
This has been re-listed, what happened?? Is it now not advantageous for someone to use this type of account for vacationing? I guess, if this is a good deal, why not follow through on the offer? Underlying resorts for APR?

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been re-listed, what happened?? Is it now not advantageous for someone to use this type of account for vacationing? I guess, if this is a good deal, why not follow through on the offer? Underlying resorts for APR?

Probably best to contact the seller and ask these questions of him.

BTW, be wary of spell check. The acronym is ARP, not APR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Buyers back out of deals all the time. This is a $40000 purchase; for some of us that's a lot of money,

Given the rule changes and the uncertain value of a VIP account going forward, I thing the buyer got antsy.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
I wouldn't be surprised if Wyndham swooped in and bought this contract. How quick would they turn this low MF $35000 buy into $200k in retail sales?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Wyndham swooped in and bought this contract. How quick would they turn this low MF $35000 buy into $200k in retail sales?

if that was the case, wyndham would buy everything on ebay...they dont

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ovations is giving Wyndham LOTS of inventory for almost FREE. WHY spend dollars?

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Ovations is giving Wyndham LOTS of inventory for almost FREE. WHY spend dollars?

It is a simple business decision. The cost to them is low as far as COGS is concerned. About 15-20%. There is no construction, etc. A large profit to be made. Yes they get lots from ovation. Mostly stuff people cannot give away to anybody else because they don't want them. Yes they get an occasional good one, but not many. Low MF contracts have value. People CAN get money for them. As we move forward fewer of those will go to Ovation. Wyndham could EASILY make five times their cost on this one contract. Should be a no brainier for them.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
if that was the case, wyndham would buy everything on ebay...they dont

Respectfully disagree here . Wyndham can cherry pick the winners from eBay . They get enough dogs from Ovation that they don't need to buy them on eBay . However, this contract is a cash cow for them if they wanted to buy it. Money in the bank.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree here . Wyndham can cherry pick the winners from eBay . They get enough dogs from Ovation that they don't need to buy them on eBay . However, this contract is a cash cow for them if they wanted to buy it. Money in the bank.

if they do buy on the secondary market and Im not saying they do, they use straw buyers and the contracts go to a LLC they control...Its nothing direct

Im sure this happens, Steve Holmes, chairman of Wyndham worldwide told the brokerage community in a recent earnings call, that Ovation wasnt getting them everything they want, so they had other innovative ways to get inventory back

on the subject of earnings calls, the first quarter call will be wednesday this week,,, Im interested to hear what they say about the new WVO CEO.. Speculation last quarter was that they were looking for a guy that had experience running a public company, not just one division of a public company. because if (when) wyndham Worldwide spins off WVO as its own company, they will need the right guy in charge... Holmes denied this of course, but he did say wyndham was always looking for ways to enhance share holder value.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
This auction doesn't advertise that it's a VIP after transfer.

It's two Canterbury deeds, which offers UDI points vs. Bali Hai Villas from the other auction, that has both UDI points and legacy fixed week owner's contracts. The other auction that's suggesting it includes Platinum VIP benefits likely has converted BHV EOY even and odd year fixed week deeds.

There's no way these Canterbury deeds will receive qualifying VIP points upon transfer from an existing Wyndham owner's account.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
The listing has been edited. There is no mention of VIP Platinum account now but it did say that yesterday

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The listing has been edited. There is no mention of VIP Platinum account now but it did say that yesterday

The listing for the 1,429,000 Platinum VIP points is still there and hasn't changed. The listing johnluyando mentioned in his post is an entirely different listing and from a different seller too.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
The listing for the 1,429,000 Platinum VIP points is still there and hasn't changed. They listing johnluyando mentioned in his post is an entirely different listing and from a different seller too.
The new listing said VIP Platinum also. But was edited or removed and put back after being corrected. Yesterday there was 2 listings of VIP Platinum

turbo280

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek,
Wyndham Cypress Palms,
Wyndham Foxhunt at Sapphire Valley,
Wyndham The Meadows at Branson
Wyndham Smokey Mountain Lodge
The Galleon Resort and Marina
I am seriously considering this but scared S***less. My current situation is a combination of resales and developer points of over 8000 points. Silver VIP and $4500+ in annual maintenance fees. Buying this would give me Platinum status (but for how long) lower fees per point. If purchased I would then dump my other resales and keep the developer properties. Final result would be 1,400,000 to 1,800,000 points with annual maintenance fees of $7500. While this is more points than I normally use, I believe the balance would be offset by gifts and rentals for friends and family. Seller states that money would stay in escrow until closing and VIP Platinum established.
Looking for input from knowledgeable people. Ron???
Thanks in advance

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I am seriously considering this but scared S***less. My current situation is a combination of resales and developer points of over 8000 points. Silver VIP and $4500+ in annual maintenance fees. Buying this would give me Platinum status (but for how long) lower fees per point. If purchased I would then dump my other resales and keep the developer properties. Final result would be 1,400,000 to 1,800,000 points with annual maintenance fees of $7500. While this is more points than I normally use, I believe the balance would be offset by gifts and rentals for friends and family. Seller states that money would stay in escrow until closing and VIP Platinum established.
Thanks in advance
8,000 current points?

turbo280

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek,
Wyndham Cypress Palms,

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know the seller and the account, what makes it platinum and that it ought to transfer with platinum intact

The question is whether a platinum account will be worth anything after the new rules are implemented

turbo280

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek,
Wyndham Cypress Palms,
I know the seller and the account, what makes it platinum and that it ought to transfer with platinum intact

The question is whether a platinum account will be worth anything after the new rules are implemented
Thank you very much

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thanks in advance

If you do this and decide to get rid of some of your other points I wouldn't get rid of anything that you bought developer that gave you silver VIP, just the resale deeds.

turbo280

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek,
Wyndham Cypress Palms,
If you do this and decide to get rid of some of your other points I wouldn't get rid of anything that you bought developer that gave you silver VIP, just the resale deeds.
That is the plan, thanks

johnluyando

Reaction score
The listing for the 1,429,000 Platinum VIP points is still there and hasn't changed. The listing johnluyando mentioned in his post is an entirely different listing and from a different seller too.
Just to clarify, this auction did list Platinum VIP yesterday. The seller's location is the same as the other $35,000 VIP Platinum listing so I just assumed that the seller ran into a dollar limit and used a different ebay ID. Canterbury is a valuable deed for sure but I don't think it's work $30,000. A 1,000,000 point contract sold in March for $7200.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Just to clarify, this auction did list Platinum VIP yesterday. The seller's location is the same as the other $35,000 VIP Platinum listing so I just assumed that the seller ran into a dollar limit and used a different ebay ID. Canterbury is a valuable deed for sure but I don't think it's work $30,000. A 1,000,000 point contract sold in March for $7200.

Did the million point contract that sold in March have the platinum VIP that this seller is offering? That makes a world of difference. Spending $30k to get those benefits as Ron has said is a great deal for someone. No, none of us know exactly how the coming changes will impact VIP owners but the owner who is able to be flexible in their travel plans will still be able to make good use of those benefits IMHO.

Another thing to consider is where that million points was deeded. When you own a million points or more lower maintenance fees are a real asset. $6 per thousand vs $5 per thousand in maintenance fees is $1k a year more.

johnluyando

Reaction score
Did the million point contract that sold in March have the platinum VIP that this seller is offering? That makes a world of difference. Spending $30k to get those benefits as Ron has said is a great deal for someone. No, none of us know exactly how the coming changes will impact VIP owners but the owner who is able to be flexible in their travel plans will still be able to make good use of those benefits IMHO.

Another thing to consider is where that million points was deeded. When you own a million points or more lower maintenance fees are a real asset. $6 per thousand vs $5 per thousand in maintenance fees is $1k a year more.
The contract sold in March that I referenced was deeded in Canterbury and had no VIP associated with it. I was comparing this sale to the 30k listing on ebay which no longer lists Platinum. My comparison was meant to show that the 30k listing was a bad deal without VIP and could be had for much less. Obviously, VIP Platinum makes that contract significantly more valuable.

I, like others on this thread, am very interested in the potential of becoming VIP for such a bargain price but have my reservations.