• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Electrical surge damage

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
Has anyone ever had damage due to lightning strike or electrical surge? Last Monday while I was out at dinner a thunderstorm came through town. When I got home my garage door opener didn’t work. I just assumed I needed a new battery in the remote so I used a key to get inside. The door did open with the wall switch but it wouldn’t close. It now acts as if the safety sensor is blocked but nothing is in the way and there are no lights on the safety sensors anymore. It was at night so I just detached the door from the chain and closed the door manually.

I tried to get on the internet and my laptop couldn’t find my wireless network. That happens occasionally and it is usually fixed by power cycling the router and sometimes the modem—I usually just do both. But, no lights on the router (and it was pretty warm) and my desktop computer which uses an Ethernet cable also didn’t see my network. Weird. I tried to call Comcast and my fairly new cordless phone gave me nothing but static. Fortunately I still had my old phone system which still works. Comcast found that they could communicate with the modem so it must have had a damaged output port. Since I was leaving town for a few days I just unplugged the modem and router and waited until I got back to exchange the modem. Now that I have internet service at home, I have also determined that the Ethernet card in my desktop computer must have been fried as well since my laptop can connect via Ethernet to the new modem/router combo but my desktop computer still doesn’t see an internet connection.

After checking around the house, the only other thing I found that no longer works is an LED lamp. I don’t know if my router was damaged or not since I replaced the modem with an all in one device, but it was very warm the night of the incident and the fact that no lights were on even though it was plugged in is kind of telling. I also haven’t checked my scanner yet. It was plugged into the same surge protector that my desktop, router, modem and printer were in. That surge protector still has a green light indicating active protection. I’m not sure what to believe. I think I’ll replace it, and probably all the other surge protectors that were plugged in at the time.

Luckily I haven’t lost any major appliances. My laptop was charging with a different surge suppressor and it seems to be OK. I also didn’t lose any data. While I didn’t check everything on my computers, I did have a very recent back-up hard drive that was not connected to anything. So, all my photos, including scans of old family photos are safe. I haven’t tried turning everything in the house on yet, and there could be latent damage that will show up when I least expect it, but I suppose things could always have been worse. The most expensive stuff still works. And the lightning strike I assume was close didn’t actually hit my house. As I said, it could have been worse.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sorry this happened to you.

They say that, during thunderstorms you should not only turn off electrical equipment, but unplug them as well, 'cuz those little home surge protectors won't protect you from a direct hit. But really, who's going to bother to doing that. No one's going to unplug a garage-door opener. It seems we'd just rather take our chances.

I 'spose if the damage is bad enuff, one could make an insurance claim.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Whale
The damage will probably come in under my deductible so I'm not filing a claim. I guess that's a good thing. I don't really spend a lot of money on things and I keep them a long time. The phone might still be within warranty but I don't know that I would feel right about trying that since it wasn't really a product failure.

I agree that the best way to keep everything safe is to unplug. It wasn't an option this time since I was out, but even being completely aware of this I never do it even when at home. As you say, we take our chances and this time I got snake eyes.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When my daughter was in college in a rental apartment it had a surge that fried her computer. “Severe sparks and black marks on the wall” kind of surge. Her computer was toast. No recourse but to replace it. Landlord refused to do anything. No renters insurance. Lesson learned.

Hope nothing else of yours was damaged.

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We took a direct lightning strike to the end of our home....while on an overnight vacation of course.

The strike blew the top 6 feet of the gable off the house....scattering debris across 250 feet of yard.

All the TV's, video games, receivers, satellites, hot tub motors, light bulbs, thermostats, phones, computer (1), etc... well pump, sewer pump/control
several gfci's, a few dimmers etc..

6 mos later, refrigerator had a board go....
8 mos later oven board went
1 yr later microwave failed
1 yr later another hot tub part
2 yrs later another electronic part etc......

The first claim covered most/all of it. Too much paperwork and justification to continue to file later.......(had some leftovers)

Ugh. Added a whole-house breaker which does pretty good. Cuts down on residual damage after first massive pulse from lightening.

It never ends....

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I too have a whole house surge protector on the panel. I have not had any issues so far, thankfully.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@taterhed: Not “Liking” your post in the traditional way. Liking it as in “Holy Crap, Batman!!”

That’s a lot of damage!

Dave

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have a whole house surge protector on the panel. I have not had any issues so far, thankfully.

A whole house is a good thing, but it's not complete. Best to still supplement with point of use. Satellite, phone, network, whatever signal paths you have. Whole house protects larger appliances best, but smaller electronics not as well, but does provide some.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Before you decide that your damage doesn't exceed your deductible, really check out everything you can think of in your home, especially electronics. You may find some other unexpected things have given up the ghost.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Whale
Wow, taterhed, that's a lot of damage. I guess nothing can really protect against a direct strike. And Dave I guess I will consider myself lucky that I didn't get sparks and scorch marks.

I'm thinking that despite it being summer maybe I should check out my furnace, or at least let my insurance company know about the problem just in case I find something big later on. My laptop did just disconnect from the internet even though my wireless network is still up. It did reconnect without a problem, but it could still indicate some issues. So, I'm guessing a call to my insurance company is on the agenda for Monday.

Most of my appliances are almost 20 years old (when I bought the house) and the dishwasher is 25 years old (original). Stove is "only" about 13. But they all seem to have survived, so far. The clock on the stove wasn't even flashing when I got home. I know more problems could turn up. I'll just hope for the best.

I'm planning on selling the house in about a year and if all goes according to plan I won't own for a few years. But when I do whole house surge protection is definitely on the list. And as Steve suggests I will still use the plug in variety. Barn door... horses... lesson learned.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Oh yeah, I forgot the Furnace. Got some of that too....

My point was that exactly: check everything, notify them.....in case you suddenly have 10 unexplained failures.
Oh yeah, all 4 garage door openers too.....doorbell, several ceiling fans.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a near miss years ago in Melissa TX. Knocked stuff off the wall, fried septic tank, melted wire in the wall, lost all sorts of things. The problem is the pain of replacing it, paid or not. We found replacing to be a massive job. That's before I worked in the surge industry.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We took a direct lightning strike to the end of our home....while on an overnight vacation of course.

The strike blew the top 6 feet of the gable off the house....scattering debris across 250 feet of yard.

All the TV's, video games, receivers, satellites, hot tub motors, light bulbs, thermostats, phones, computer (1), etc... well pump, sewer pump/control
several gfci's, a few dimmers etc..

6 mos later, refrigerator had a board go....
8 mos later oven board went
1 yr later microwave failed
1 yr later another hot tub part
2 yrs later another electronic part etc......

The first claim covered most/all of it. Too much paperwork and justification to continue to file later.......(had some leftovers)

Ugh. Added a whole-house breaker which does pretty good. Cuts down on residual damage after first massive pulse from lightening.

It never ends....

I am an electrical engineer and am familiar with electrostatic discharge (ESD). Although ESD is a bit different than a lightning strike, there are similarities. What happens when a semiconductor gets zapped with excess voltage is it partially vaporizes a conductor trace or a semiconductor junction. That weakens it to subsequent zaps even if they are small So, it is not unusual for something to fail a week or a month or a year later.

We were hit by lightning (actually twice) and we had various things fail over time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeez, Rob. One lightning strike put you back in the stone age! AMAZING! Apparently you had a full and complete recovery. I simply can't imagine such a catastrophe. (put another way- I'm glad we just don't get that type of storms- or hurricanes, tornadoes, tidal waves either.)

Jim

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I was using MacBook Pro one day plugged into wall outlet via its transformer, lighting hit close to house and I got a zap even through to transformer in the cord. But did not hurt computer.

Back when I had a land line years ago I lost 2 vonage and 1 magic jack voip phone adapters over 3 years from lighting strikes close by.

I have worked in industrial electrical field for over 30 years a lot of damage to people homes they have had me come look at come from satellite dishes or cable on house not being properly grounded. The cables off LMI on dish or from cable company should land to a ground block on side of house that will have ground line off it to your earth ground connection. Many satellite and cable installers leave these off leaving your home at risk.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have worked in industrial electrical field for over 30 years a lot of damage to people homes they have had me come look at come from satellite dishes or cable on house not being properly grounded. The cables off LMI on dish or from cable company should land to a ground block on side of house that will have ground line off it to your earth ground connection. Many satellite and cable installers leave these off leaving your home at risk.

Boy that sure is the case! When I moved into our neighborhood and got Dish, noticed they didn't ground it properly. Then, noticed none of my neighbors were grounded either. So, had them all call to get them fixed. You would think they would know better. We have another source to fry us - being rural, a dish on the house for microwave internet. Same idea there too.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be buying a whole home surge protector next month. Too much stuff to lose. Not just from lightning but from the power going off and coming back on.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I will be buying a whole home surge protector next month. Too much stuff to lose. Not just from lightning but from the power going off and coming back on.
Check with your power company. Mine installed whole home surge protection for free. We ARE with an electric co-op, though -- a commercial utility might not be as accommodating.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I have to check into this, though I am amazed with all the power outages and surges we get here - sometimes almost weekly- that everything in the house has stood up.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two kinds, one that goes before the main disconnect, and one after. The one before is more effective. Of course, an electrician needed.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There are two kinds, one that goes before the main disconnect, and one after. The one before is more effective. Of course, an electrician needed.

The panel (box) installed versions can be consumer installed for those who are comfortable and experienced in working with electrical wiring. (check state and local code)
Kids....don't try this at home if you have questions or are uncertain.....live voltage in panels can KILL you. :bawl:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The panel (box) installed versions can be consumer installed for those who are comfortable and experienced in working with electrical wiring. (check state and local code)
Kids....don't try this at home if you have questions or are uncertain.....live voltage in panels can KILL you. :bawl:

Oh I agree of course, but better have some skill. I just always say electrician just to be safe.

geekette

Reaction score
A few years ago, my dog was acting weird when I got home. I don't quite recall what beyond coffee pot was wacky, but turns out one of my electrical subpanels got fried. Based on storms having moved through, it's believed my house was hit by lightning. Insurance paid the $2k to replace box and also $50 for coffee pot!

Whenever something electrical seems weird, get it checked out.