• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

England Hopefully

dori47

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Beach Vacation Club
WorldMark
We would like to visit England either in a year or two years, we have time to plan it, how can I go about exchanging my timeshare for something in England? We have WorldMark Points and a low end Maui two bedroom resort as well, so have some flexibility. We do not belong to any exchange group or program as we normally just use our own resorts

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I suggest starting with the TUG Marketplace. You can list your property and ask for an exchange to England in your ad. Since you have plenty of time, put up a nice ad with photos of your property and its features to help you "sell it" to a prospective exchanger. The nice thing about an exchange through TUG is that it's free!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We would like to visit England either in a year or two years, we have time to plan it, how can I go about exchanging my timeshare for something in England? We have WorldMark Points and a low end Maui two bedroom resort as well, so have some flexibility. We do not belong to any exchange group or program as we normally just use our own resorts
If you want London, go to Homeaway VRBO and rent. You will get exactly what you want, near the attractions you wish to see.

England is unlikely to provide success for the beginner exchanger. Although resorts are listed in the II/RCI directories, many resorts never appear in II because their owners do not deposit. You would have to be a member for awhile to track how often certain resorts appear for exchange.

There are currently some weeks in the countryside during winter. If those are acceptable, then you may have a chance at making an exchange. I have posted every resort that is currently available for exchange via II in Sightings. This gives you an idea of what you can get. Availability can change at any time, but these have been out there awhile. What we don't know is when new deposits are likely to appear.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I assume when you say England you mean just that and not Wales, Scotland, or Ireland (Republic or Northern). We have never had much luck trading into England. Through RCI (which you would have to join) we have had luck trading into Ireland (Republic), Wales, and Scotland.

Also what kind of Worldmark Points do you own - WM, WM+A, or WTS. If you have WTS then you have RCI.

When we have not been able to get a trade we look up Self-catering Cottages for the area we want to go. These can be very reasonable. We have got a 1 bedroom self-catering cottage in Portmagee, Ring of Kerry, Ireland 6 years ago for the Euro equivalent of $300.00 US for the week. About 3 years ago we got a 1 bedroom self-catering cottage on a working farm by Inverness Scotland for about the Pound equivalent of $350 USA for the week.

Time of year and location are both very important in trying to do a trade. We tend to travel the shoulder seasons for Europe - September to October or April to May. We have been very lucky with the weather. If you decide to join RCI you should set up an ongoing search about 18 months in Advance. The Fee is slightly higher if you call in to set up the trade but then you can talk it over with the RCI Representative and they may have some good suggestions in how to construct your ongoing request. We normally say we want to be in "X" area for 7 days, during Month "Y", and we will take a (smallest unit that would work/1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc) or larger.

dori47

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Beach Vacation Club
WorldMark
Thanks for the suggestions. We just got back from Maui, and I remembered to take a few pics of the place for this purpose. We will definitely be travelling out of high season. Weather doesn't bother us ( we live in the Pacific Northwest) and there is an event in November we might want to have a look at , plus it is easier to get away from work at times of the year that others are not interested in. Self catering cottages sound like a good bargain. If we had more time, we would see Scotland and England, but time is limited.
Our World Mark points are confusing to me. We bought them resale, of course, and I think we just got the basic points, but when I call in to book or sit through one of their talks, they think we have more than just basic points

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Another thing to consider, depending on your credit situation, is hotel points. A few years back, my husband & I each signed up for a Hyatt credit card and the sign up bonus was two free nights (per card) in any Hyatt hotel worldwide. So we got 4 free nights at a fancy Hyatt in London. At the time, we also had a lot of Starwood points, and had a Starwood London property reserved at one point too. Expanded our options.

We added these 4 nights to a week long timeshare exchange in Greece (Crete), used Starwood points for two nights in a hotel in Athens and paid for one expensive hotel in Santorini & two airport hotel stays. It was a very nice 2.5 week trip.

If Scotland is an ok substitute for you, I think it's easier to make a private trade. The HGVC people are easier to find and are often open to trades. HGVC has three properties in Scotland, I think.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We just returned from 30 days in the Cotswolds, hopping from B&B to B&B and from pub to pub. Enjoyed the heck out of it...better than any timeshare vacation we have ever had. For some things it's best to get out of the condos and into the real world.

JuliGee

Reaction score
We just returned from 30 days in the Cotswolds, hopping from B&B to B&B and from pub to pub. Enjoyed the heck out of it...better than any timeshare vacation we have ever had. For some things it's best to get out of the condos and into the real world.

I agree! You are much better off staying at nice B&B's in the UK than you are trying to get an exchange into a timeshare. Most of the timeshares in the UK are not in the best of locations for that kind of travel experience. When you travel that far, and spend that much money you really want to make sure you get the most out of your trip. There is so much to see around the country, you would be wasting a lot of time being stuck in one place for a week.

Juli

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will definitely be travelling out of high season. Weather doesn't bother us ( we live in the Pacific Northwest) and there is an event in November we might want to have a look at , plus it is easier to get away from work at times of the year that others are not interested in. Self catering cottages sound like a good bargain.
We have actually had a few good exchanges thru RCI into England, but they're not that easy to come by, especially prime season. However, if you plan to travel in November (do you?) they often have lots of fabulous-looking cottages for low exchange-points needed, or low "extra vacation" prices in dollars. November must be their low-low season. You could join RCI or maybe find their rental site online, and for a few hundred dollars per week probably get a lovely self-catering cottage online. If you're interested, I'll scout around online for you.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just posted a resort in Devon which has some summer weeks.
I searched with WorldMark and it can easily pull all of these. I also searched with a minimum trade power week, and it pulled all of the Woodford Bridge Country Club weeks.
4 1/2 stars on Trip Advisor.
Resident peacocks!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We have traded 3x to England via RCI and once thru UKRE. Our RCI trades were to the Osbourne Club, Sutton Hall and the "cottage" we are in as I post- Lidsey Farmhouse Annexe in Bognor Regis. The UKRE trade was to Whitbarrow Village. Excepting our current stay, all resorts were more than acceptable. This one has it's flaws and I will review it soon on Tug, but it is a school holiday week and, despite an OGS since February 2016, this is all that came through.

I agree that it may be better to rent vs. trade. I would put in a search ASAP as it seems that you have a better chance of a match 2 years out.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just back from my annual week in London. Very nice three bedroom, 2 bath flat in Kensington thru VRBO. More than my old Allen House week but only two blocks away.

If you're after London, VRBO, AirBnB or others are the way to go.

Cheers

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We enjoy being in 1 spot for 1 to 2 weeks. You can unpack and relax. When we stayed in the self-catering cottage by Inverness we spent a day driving all the way around Loch Ness with many stops, toured all the local sites to include Culloden Battle Field, Fort George, etc. We also did a day trip to the Island of Skye. We did another day trip to John O'Groats stopping at Dunrobin Castle. Patti's Scottish Ancestors. Her Mother had spent summers there as a young girl. When we stayed in Portmagee Ireland we traveled all aroung the Ring of Kerry, Valentia Island, Waterville (Charlie Chaplin), etc. We did 1 long day trip to Cork to visit the Jameson Distillery. When we stayed in the Kingdom of Fife we did day trips throughout Fife, plus Stirling, the Scottish Bunker, Falkland Castle with its real tennis court(built in 1539 and still in use), and a couple days in Edinburgh.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from my annual week in London. Very nice three bedroom, 2 bath flat in Kensington thru VRBO. More than my old Allen House week but only two blocks away.

If you're after London, VRBO, AirBnB or others are the way to go.

Cheers
listing #, please?

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always look for a Worldmark owner who can book into Yellowstone during summer months to do a private exchange. I own Diamonds with lots of locations in UK. I also have access to RHC London. I find private exchange another option other than RCI and II.