• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

European timeshares without car

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what is available through SFX in England, but I did the Burnside Hotel and Spa in Bowness-on-Windermere (the Lake District) without a car. You can arrive there by train and take a short taxi ride to the resort. You are practically in town with a short walk to a grocery and a number of gastric pubs. You are very near some walking paths (up a very steep hill) and can get to Beatrix Potter's house via a ferry across the lake (meant to connect with each other) then a short bus ride. I admit that I also paid for two tours, but there is also good bus transportation from Bowness.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Mougin Resort wouldn't be a good choice IMO - when I mentioned French Riviera, specifically I meant right along the coast where there is easy bus and train access, and that one is too far inland.

Short walk from Mougin resort to bus stop. Short ride on bus to train station in Cannes. Train stops at a dozen or more wonderful towns along the coast as well as Monaco and the end of the line puts you in Ventimilleglia, Italy. Only fly in my ointment was the uphill walk to the resort at the end of the day.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Let us know if you are successful with your exchange. I imagine you are also trying to match up with a school holiday. I think most of the members of SFX are in North America so you might have luck with European school holidays that don't coincide with US/Canadian school vacation time and or cold weather holidays where those from the US don't want to travel to Europe. SFX has a reputation for having more inventory in Mexico and San Francisco and the other traditional overbuilt timeshare locations like Orlando.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Short walk from Mougin resort to bus stop. Short ride on bus to train station in Cannes. Train stops at a dozen or more wonderful towns along the coast as well as Monaco and the end of the line puts you in Ventimilleglia, Italy. Only fly in my ointment was the uphill walk to the resort at the end of the day.
Good to know, thanks for this information!

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to these resorts which don’t require a car:
1. Petenazy- Budapest Hungary
2. Royal Regency-Paris
3. Fitzpatrick Castle, Dublin
4. Hyde Park- London
5. Costa Del Sol-Spain (there are lots of resorts here)
6. Holiday Club- Athens (actually Marathon) Greece
One other thing you should consider is that some other resorts have such an extensive offering of side trips and shuttles that even though they are not totally accessible, the side trips and shuttles compensate for that.
Also it has been a while since I used SFX, but as I recall they will take several resorts as long as they meet their criteria. Thus, even though a resort may not be on their directory, they may have a deposit that may be eligible for booking. So you would just have to keep inquiring.
I think DAE (which would also take your deposit) has much more in European cities- especially if you enroll through the London Office. You can also exchange first and deposit later. All of this could change when RCI takes over DAE.

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, I also thought of Petnehazy in Budapest - we drove a car there whichended up sitting in the parking lot all week, as we split out time between resort tours and solo trips into Budapest, and really enjoyed ourselves. I don't think I saw it at SFX tho, this was RCI.

Also RCI resorts in Venice and Vienna which again I didn't see in SFX, but if the OP is making requests at other exchange co's...

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent a week in Venice Italy in a dumpy 3 bedroom near the train station. A great location. Really a dump. I saw that RCI had others in Venice or Florence online but never saw where they were.

abbekit

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
We've gone to Europe a a number of times in timeshares car free. These were all via RCI though.

Definitely second the recommendation of Fitzpatrick Castle. Walk to the light rail train in Dalkey for easy access to Dublin. Also Dalkey has good restaurants and pubs, grocery stores and bakeries. The Fitzpatrick Castle main hotel (on the same grounds as the timeshares) also has tours that start/end there. We went to Wicklow and Newgrange on great tours.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/IZthlxLIkDqAD9Nn1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ftRcB8RZFkIDWJxG2

We were able to get a timeshare in city of Florence in the historic area. I also see (rarely) a few timeshare apartments available in Venice.
https://goo.gl/photos/igd3b1FjVdYrPVdM6

We were good with the timeshare at Carpe Diem in Assisi (seemed we got a better unit than other reviewers). They have a shuttle bus into town where you can catch the train to tour many towns in that part of Umbria and Tuscany.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5hD7WePk25oHA8Tp1

Have stayed in London at Odessa Wharf, walk or bus to the tube station for sightseeing everywhere in the London. We walked to Greenwich from there too.
https://goo.gl/photos/vqVPAFirycW5wfMDA

We also loved Mondi Oberstaufen in the Bavaria area of Germany. The condos are walkable (but a bit hilly) from the train station (or a really cheap cab fare). The charming town of Oberstaufen has grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants. There is also a local bus stop at the resort. We took day trips on the train into Munich and to Lindau.
https://goo.gl/photos/5ufGnefZ1DjAvtoWA

Sadly one of our favorite exchanges in the car-free village of Muerrin Switzerland went bankrupt and has been closed for years.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nrtt1OgQUI73Bl9v1

Love the info about Kilconquhar and the walking paths. That has been on my bucket list but we didn't want to rent a car so it's good to know about that.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Scandinavian Village in Scotland...about 15 min walk to train station. Bought ScotRail pass and went hither and yon. Threw away a night at timeshare to stay in a mom and pop on northern coast where you can take ferry to scenic islands. I went in June when fields of green and purple heather were in bloom ...lovely to view from your train window!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Fitzpatricks Castle in Dalkey outside Dublin Ireland is very doable without a car. 10-15 minute walk to commuter train. Old Killarney Village Ireland is also close enough to to town to take taxis but don't know how you would get there from airport -buses, I guess. Just stayed at
KILCONQUHAR ESTATE & COUNTRY CLUB
About an hours drive outside of Edinburgh - definitely need a car.
Agree about Royal Regency. Very mass transit friendly.
Going to
HILTON CRAIGENDARROCH COUNTRY ESTATE and that one you will need a car.

Suggest any of the southern Spain/Marbella area resort. All very doable without a car using the resort tour company to see the sites.

Good luck with SFX
There is a bus that goes from Dublin Airport to Fitzpatrick’s Castle, runs 24/7 every hour. We have stayed without a car. Bus can take you to Dalkey, where you can take a train to Dublin or to Houth or to Bray. We also took a tour of the Wicklow mountains and were picked up at Fitzpatrick’s Castle. If you want to enjoy the resort they have an indoor pool and all the facilities are of use when you stay in the Holiday Homes. We did lots of walking too, beautiful parks and pubs nearby. We own a week here and it is a wonderful timeshare.
Silentg