• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Everyone Should Experience These Iconic American Road Trips

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Everyone Should Experience These Iconic American Road Trips
By Steve Bramucci and Allison Sanchez/ Life/ UpRoxx/ uproxx.com

"There’s this feeling you have when you realize you’re in a car with someone your own age and no adults for the first time. I remember being a freshman in high school when a senior said he’d drive me home from our cast party after closing night for Inherit The Wind. Being alone in a car — no one’s mom pulled up to the curb outside the party armed with questions like, “Did you girls have fun?” and “Who was there?” and “What did you do?” — was a dizzying level of freedom. All of a sudden, my hazy future was rendered more clearly. I’d get a car of my own one day. Then an apartment. And then…

This heady sensation is eventually eclipsed by your first real road trip. Picking your own route, listening to a playlist you made, eating gas station Funions — this is real living. It’s adulthood and adventure in equal measures, inextricably bound together. My first road trip was just a jaunt to Madison, Wisconsin from small-town Michigan, but I felt like Jack Kerouac. I was a lonely wanderer, out seeking answers along the endlessly unfolding tarmac.

I don’t think I’ve ever lost that initial feeling of freedom and excitement for road trips. Few other types of travel give you that pure “Go where the wind takes you” feeling, even when you have an agenda and Google maps. Hear about a great hike to a hot spring? A restaurant that serves spectacular cherry pie? The world’s largest something or other? You can just pull off the road and your trip will be better for it. Road trips are filled with unexpected destinations. They’re loaded with disasters and laughter and chaos and, eventually, they lead to great stories.

Below you’ll find eight truly iconic American road trip routes. They’re adventures that will teach you about America… and yourself....."

screen-shot-2019-03-14-at-2.52.54-pm.jpg

The Navajo Country Road Trip — US 163 and US 191 — Monument Valley to Canyon de Chelly

screen-shot-2019-03-14-at-4-47-45-pm-jpg.jpeg

Richard

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Great summaries of some fabulous road trips with great maps, too. I have done three of them so far...PCH, Glacier Going-to-the-Sun to Yellowstone and the Crazy Horse Monument to the Badlands. All highly recommended. :thumbup:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I've done at least pieces of all except the Florida one. We may need a thread on road trips...
Sue

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they selected the Yellowstone -> Glacier routing via Bozeman. The NE routing, along the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, is a classic drive.

When I did a Dakotas/Pine Ridge road trip with one of the urchins, I made a point of stopping at Wounded Knee. We also visited the Little Big Horn in Wyoming on the same trip. Little Big Horn was the great victory for the Plains people. But though they won the battle, they lost the war. Wounded Knee was the denouement - the death knell. IMHO - it's a shame that Little Big Horn is a National Monument, and Wounded Knee is left to the care of the most impoverished people in the lower 48 states. I believe the two sites belong together, to tell the more nuanced story of the western plains.

Because Wounded Knee has not been developed, it was easy to stand on high ground and to visualize the setting. And because Wounded Knee is not well known and is on the road less-traveled, the only people who arrive at Wounded Knee are those who are specifically looking for it.

Little Big Horn was fascinating. Wounded Knee made me cry.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I'm surprised they selected the Yellowstone -> Glacier routing via Bozeman. The NE routing, along the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, is a classic drive.

IMHO - it's a shame that Little Big Horn is a National Monument, and Wounded Knee is left to the care of the most impoverished people in the lower 48 states. I believe the two sites belong together, to tell the more nuanced story of the western plains.

Little Big Horn was fascinating. Wounded Knee made me cry.

We did the Glacier to Yellowstone route, but cut down to West Yellowstone prior to Bozeman. We were heading east after visiting in Calgary. We did the Beartooth Pass route upon leaving Yellowstone, passing through Red Lodge on our way to Billings and Little Big Horn and then on to Devil's Tower, the Badlands and points east. I agree that the Beartooth Highway is a classic and spectacular drive.

I think your idea of somehow connecting the Wounded Knee site with the Little Big Horn Battlefield Monument is brilliant. The visitor's center at the battlefield has some amazing photographs, maps and artifacts from both sides.

I also thought the guides at Little Big Horn did a commendable job of describing the background and political situation at the time, the issues and movements leading up to the battle, Custer's arrogance and failure to follow orders (previously seen many times in his career) and how it ultimately caused the death of the troops under his command. They also were very candid about the tactics used by the Native American warriors and pointing out why the battle was so important to them in trying to defend their land from the many treaty violations.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Done four: Pacific Coast... Montana w-Going to the Sun... Smokies... Florida Keys.
All great road trips to be sure.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Very nice list. I would add rt 100 in VT but that is my bias.

We go up every year and though not on Route 100 all the time, of course, each time we explore a different part of the state of VT and everywhere you look is beautiful.

Same goes for northern NH- lakes region upwards. The Kanc is awesome- and through all the notches.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been on a few of those....I love road trips. I would add highway 12 in utah. What are other drives you all have been on? Glad rt100 is mentioned, going there in May will check it out.