• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ex-Timeshare Sales rep- Will Answer any ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbminded

Reaction score
I got into the TS industry a few years back before the US economy collapsed in 09. I loved the idea and concept of TS ownership and was successful at selling them. I learned that the most important factors of selling TS packages were that it was more of an emotional sale(80%emotional-20%product roughly), and the less product information pitched the better.

After several tears in the industry, working in all of the sales dept's, I learned more and more about the industry. My belief in what I was selling began to waiver, eventually to the point where after learning about one more fact(more of a TS secrete) I was done.
I couldn't build that excitement/emotion into my sales pitch anymore, Nor was I going to fake it and lie like many others do just to make that sale. So I decided to bow out, and explore a new career path.

So, to get to why I started this post. Because I know so much about the industry, I thought that I may be of some help to this community. I will answer any questions you might have, with maybe the exception of a few(like what companies I worked at for example). I already know that some of you are thinking that I will lie, or that I have some agenda by offering this.
And that's fine. In fact I would expect it. But I don't, and you will quickly realize that if you decide to take advantage of the free info/opinions i'm offering here in this thread.

I look forward to helping anyone out that wants it.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Most questions that get asked here are answered by the many knowledgeable members & contributors.

If you wanna help others, I'd suggest hanging out in the newbies forum and answer questions there.

p.s. After joining 6 months ago, I'm curious "why now?" to volunteer to answer questions.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got into the TS industry a few years back before the US economy collapsed in 09. I loved the idea and concept of TS ownership and was successful at selling them. I learned that the most important factors of selling TS packages were that it was more of an emotional sale(80%emotional-20%product roughly), and the less product information pitched the better.

After several tears in the industry, working in all of the sales dept's, I learned more and more about the industry. My belief in what I was selling began to waiver, eventually to the point where after learning about one more fact(more of a TS secrete) I was done.
I couldn't build that excitement/emotion into my sales pitch anymore, Nor was I going to fake it and lie like many others do just to make that sale. So I decided to bow out, and explore a new career path.

So, to get to why I started this post. Because I know so much about the industry, I thought that I may be of some help to this community. I will answer any questions you might have, with maybe the exception of a few(like what companies I worked at for example). I already know that some of you are thinking that I will lie, or that I have some agenda by offering this.
And that's fine. In fact I would expect it. But I don't, and you will quickly realize that if you decide to take advantage of the free info/opinions i'm offering here in this thread.

I look forward to helping anyone out that wants it.

Okay. Tell us something we don't already know. Something only and insider would know. If we already know it, we will tell you roughly when we learned it. I am always interested in learning something new about the timeshare industry.

bbminded

Reaction score
Tell me how you can get through a timeshare tour in less then 15minutes and still get your gift(s)?

Okay. Tell us something we don't already know. Something only and insider would know. If we already know it, we will tell you roughly when we learned it. I am always interested in learning something new about the timeshare industry.

bbminded

Reaction score
Like I said, some people will think I have some agenda. If you don't think I have anything to contribute and you already know everything then that's fine. But then again why did you feel the need to reply to this thread?

Most questions that get asked here are answered by the many knowledgeable members & contributors.

If you wanna help others, I'd suggest hanging out in the newbies forum and answer questions there.

p.s. After joining 6 months ago, I'm curious "why now?" to volunteer to answer questions.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
What was the one fact that you learned that made you say you were done
With the industry?

bbminded

Reaction score
When I learned that all the timeshare companies would sell millions of weeks each year to those vacation discount clubs. So if an owner tried to use their points, but nothing was available because someone who paid $300 for example to stay there for the whole week with no maint. or booking fees through a vacation club...well I didnt see that as very fair. In fact, that was one of the biggest complaints I would here from owners was how they always had a hard time getting into where they wanted to go.

So what is the solution for these people who have no idea that they were getting denied reservations because someone paid less money then the actual owners yearly maint. fee's for that week and dont even own a timeshare? "Well folk's, If you owned more points, then you would being having this problem".
So for those of you that paid for your timeshare from the developer, would that not anger you at all to know that?

And by the way, thanks for asking your question without being sarcastic like others. Also I saw your going to Alaska soon. If you have any questions about the area, let me know. I grew up there.

What was the one fact that you learned that made you say you were done
With the industry?

Last edited:

bbminded

Reaction score
@slip

Another reason for my loss of interest in selling was that people were starting to become privy to ebay and the endless amount of $1 timeshares for sale.
Of course, like every other excuse that I would hear, I had a rebuttal for it as well.

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
timeshare question

Where can we rent weeks for $300 in prime season if we belong to rci thru our timeshare membership? I am always 8nterested in learning more.

Also, we added our 3 kifds to our membership in Raintree Vacation Club which expires in 2046. Is there a way for them to refuse membership when we die so they won't havee maint. Fee s to pay?
Thanks for your insights.

bbminded

Reaction score
HI DonnaD,

Thanks for the question. There are some legit vacation clubs that you can join. I would name one, but I know that ill get bombarded with people posting that I started this thread to promote the club. Just do your due diligence if you decide to research into these discounted vacation clubs.
I was using $300 as an example. And prime season can be different depending on the resort, location, and time of year.
The discounts can be up to 80% off what it would cost respectively at retail.

For example: Aqua Village And Spa Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata) 1BD sleeps 4 starting the week of March 1 Member-Cost$225 Regular price $1183

Raintree Vacation club im not familiar with. And you saying it expires in 2046...Im guessing then you didn't purchase a deeded timeshare? Because if it was deeded, then it would never expire, and your children would inherit it, and your grandchildren, etc.(assuming they keep up with the maint. fee).

Can you be more specific please as to how you added them to your membership? Was it a legal document, and did you add them during a sales presentation where you maybe purchased more weeks from Raintree? And are all three of your kids over the age of 18?

Where can we rent weeks for $300 in prime season if we belong to rci thru our timeshare membership? I am always 8nterested in learning more.

Also, we added our 3 kifds to our membership in Raintree Vacation Club which expires in 2046. Is there a way for them to refuse membership when we die so they won't havee maint. Fee s to pay?

bbminded

Reaction score
Ok, I did some quick research on Raintree and there is the following statement on their website...
Raintree Vacation Club‘s innovative new program, Raintree 15, gives Members even more options to enjoy their vacation experience with added benefits such as, using up to three weeks per year, lower price point than a traditional perpetual product, no special assessments, freedom to restructure your future vacation experience, ability to pay only seven more maintenance fees with the option of choosing when to use the Points and pay*, and the option to convert Raintree 15 to a perpetual Membership.

Are you part of this new program, and if so did you convert to the perpetual membership?
*I found this information on the official website, under the Membership tab.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
bbminded, if people on TUG seem a bit skeptical of your offer of help, you'll need to cut them a bit of slack until they know you better. They have a long history of timeshare salespeople trying to take advantage of them. Obviously, it's very unusual for someone who claims to be an ex- version of a "salesweasel" to unexpectedly offer to share insider knowledge with them. It's a lot like a used car salesman saying "Trust me." (Nothing against you personally, just trying to explain the resistance you may feel.)

I'm one of those ebay $1 timeshare buyers, and I refuse to fall for any kind of points program where my timeshare can be devalued at the drop of a hat. I'm a Weeks guy, and last I checked, a week was still seven nights long. For the outrageous maintenance fees being paid to own any timeshare, the return value should be reliable. I find that with my weeks, and I don't think I would if they were converted to a points program.

Looking forward to learning from you. I hope you'll be patient enough to stick around.

Dave

bbminded

Reaction score
Hey BMWguynw,

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice. By "putting myself in someone else's shoes that come across this thread" I can understand their potential initial feelings of skepticism.
No offence taken by the salesweasel reference. Your exactly right as I witnessed it in many different forms. The reps that make the most money are usually the worst. They are either pushy and drill people till they cave in and buy, or they are as nice as can be, but just tell you what you want to hear, no matter if its true or not.

I think you made the best decision by purchasing through ebay. You think employees are buying from the developer? Actually I was surprised as to how many sales reps didn't even own any form of timeshare. But if your on tour and ask them if they own, they would say "of course".

The so called "perks" you get when buying from the developer are just a way to entice you to pay their prices and "reward" you for being someone that is smart and has the ability to make a decision. Like how I added a little of the sales pitch in there?! LOL

bbminded, if people on TUG seem a bit skeptical of your offer of help, you'll need to cut them a bit of slack until they know you better. They have a long history of timeshare salespeople trying to take advantage of them. Obviously, it's very unusual for someone who claims to be an ex- version of a "salesweasel" to unexpectedly offer to share insider knowledge with them. It's a lot like a used car salesman saying "Trust me." (Nothing against you personally, just trying to explain the resistance you may feel.)

I'm one of those ebay $1 timeshare buyers, and I refuse to fall for any kind of points program where my timeshare can be devalued at the drop of a hat. I'm a Weeks guy, and last I checked, a week was still seven nights long. For the outrageous maintenance fees being paid to own any timeshare, the return value should be reliable. I find that with my weeks, and I don't think I would if they were converted to a points program.

Looking forward to learning from you. I hope you'll be patient enough to stick around.

Dave

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bbminded, I have a question for you. What one argument or technique did you find most effective in convincing people to buy? (My background is in psychology, I often spent several weeks per term teaching my social psychology students about persuasion and related topics. One of my main goals was helping them avoid being manipulated.)

...Also, we added our 3 kifds to our membership in Raintree Vacation Club which expires in 2046. Is there a way for them to refuse membership when we die so they won't havee maint. Fee s to pay?
I don't think a timeshare salesman would necessarily know how to answer this question. This is more a question that timeshare owners would be concerned with -- or an estate lawyer.

Why can't you simply take your kids' names off the account? Then, they could decline the inheritance if they wanted to. The estate would need to bring all the timeshare fees current, but once the estate was closed, nothing further would need to be paid.

bbminded

Reaction score
Hi Judys,

Great question! I actually love studying many different aspects of psychology. Its one of what I call "geeky hobbies". Right now im really into different types of neuro-feedback therapies like eeg and nirHEG.

But to answer your question, its hard to really narrow down one specific technique. Ive been doing it so long and have been through so much training that it seems like its just second nature.
I guess alot of it can fall under NLP techniques. From the many different non-verbal cues like body language, the direction their eyes turn when thinking about how to answer a question, if their arms are crossed, and to mirror someone helps break down that "wall" and gets them to be more comfortable and get them to like me.
There are many verbal ways of getting people out of their reptilian side of the brain and into the right side. Use their names often throughout the time your with them. Plant "seeds" in there mind, like "when you become an owner with us today you will be able to xyz".
Their are many more. I could probably write a book on them. LOL Actually a great book, probably one of the best when it comes to sales and closing a sale is called The Closers. Its an older book, but still one of the best out there. Also, Spin Selling by Neil Rackham is a must read.

I would love to go on and talk more about the psychology of sales and how to not get taken advantage of. You hit my hott button with your question! And speaking off hott buttons, thats another technique to win people over and use that information in a way to sell them as well.
But its getting late right now, and ive gotta get some sleep. But we can continue to discuss your question further next time!

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I have two questions

First, how LOW would your bosses, etc accept for a new timeshare?
For instance, let's say you started at $25,000, and showed them every 'discount'----and were down to $18,000.
What might be the absolute lowest for this example----say $10,000??? $5,000?

Next question----what was the best gift you ever gave anyone for attending
a) who bought
b) who did NOT buy

Thanks,
Pat

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the book recommendations!

But, I believe nirHEG and NLP are a bunch of hogwash. And the human brain definitely does not have a "reptilian side" -- both sides of the brain are quite symmetrical.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question

Ive had salesmen avoid the truth. like when they discuss the cost of owning a timeshare vs renting a hotel they only present the cost to buy the timeshare, not the ongoing maintenance fees, and Ive seen them stretch the truth like when I was told you can exchange your week to vacation at any resort in RCI books at any time. or if you cant use your week you can always rent it..."the going rate is $300 a night" ((for a mud week at a ski resort). And Ive seen them tell outright lies like; a retail buyer can always "bump" a resale buyer, and you may not know until you try to check in that there is no room for you.

I also know of two cases where a customer was told that what they were signing would simply reduce their interest rate, when what it actually did is sell them more product.

So my question is:

Are these techniques the creations of individual salesmen (call them bad apples) or are these techniques accepted, and encouraged by upper management?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No ill will towards the OP but I doubt he can teach the vast majority of us TUGGERS anything "new" IMHO.

He's says he got into it way back in "2009". 2009? Most of us probably forgot more than this guy knows if he's only been doing this for a few years so not sure how much wisdom he can offer to us TUGGERS who have been doing this for 10+ years or even the last 5 if they've been plugged into TUG as many of us have.

And he doesn't sound like he was connected at the top so I'd be surprised if he offered us anything revealing that we didn't already know.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I say, give them a chance----post a question, and await the response.

Why not?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I say, give them a chance----post a question, and await the response.

Why not?
Sure, I'm not suggesting otherwise, just commenting that I'd be surprised to hear anything new or revealing.

Let's hope he can offer some insight that may help in someway against the remaining evil forces that still exist in TSing.

I would however like to know where he worked if he wants to be really forthcoming. That would be meaningful to me and if he's out of the business not sure why he couldn't share that.

Unless he divulges corporate secrets, which we're not suggesting, why can't he tell us where he worked, if he's just revealing unsavory activities?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's all relative...

<snip> ...some people will think I have some agenda. <snip>

I don't claim to know (...or care) if you have an agenda. I would merely note that among the many folks who actively participate in this TUG site, there is a collective several centuries worth of direct, first hand knowledge and experience with virtually all aspects of the industry. With no personal offense intended, your own brief foray into the timeshare world as a developer sales weasel frankly pales by comparison. :shrug:

I for one certainly have no questions for you --- I have never been (..and will never knowingly be) within 500 yards of any developer sales "presentation", regardless of whatever trinkets, coupons, baubles or other near-worthless "gifts" might be offered in exchange for my valuable and irreplaceable time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.