• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging into HGVC Hawaii

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m in the very early stages of planning our first Hawaiian(Oahu) family trip in 2021.

If we can swing it we will do 3 weeks, if not we will do 2 weeks.

As a HGVC owner I can book the hgvc resorts using my points (if there are availability) but I’m also trying to figure out how many RCI points I should expect to use for a 2br? We would like to be as close to the water as possible, so my first choice is Lagoon Tower.

What kind of view is given to RCI exchangers at lagoon and other hgvc resorts? Is it the worst view available or do you occasionally also get ocean view or front?

As HGVC now have the dreadful resort fees I don’t know if it’s worth it or not to exchange in.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks I did read that thread while searching.

Any Idea how many RCI points either a 2 or 3br takes?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is the standard chart, so assuming Platinum season:2 BR is 4800, 3 BR is 5800. But you will have to pay the daily activity fee if you book these via RCI. I believe it is $25 or $35 a day, I can't recall. You should put in a ongoing search. You have a better chance at picking up a 3 BR that way.

Traditionally HGVC deposits weeks into RCI in Apr/May, for deposits the following year, but they have been getting earlier each year, at it least it seems to me.

You will have better luck if you have a NON HGVC account. A non HGVC account will allow the confirmations as soon as they are deposited in RCI. With an HGVC account you will be limited to 9 months in advance, same rules and HGVC window. So if you have a NON HGVC RCI account you will have a larger window to book HGVC.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is the standard chart, so assuming Platinum season:2 BR is 4800, 3 BR is 5800. But you will have to pay the daily activity fee if you book these via RCI. I believe it is $25 or $35 a day, I can't recall. You should put in a ongoing search. You have a better chance at picking up a 3 BR that way.

Traditionally HGVC deposits weeks into RCI in Apr/May, but they have been getting earlier each year, at it least it seems to me.

Thanks. What I meant was the regular RCI points not hgvc points used in rci. :)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. What I meant was the regular RCI points not hgvc points used in rci. :)

I added some more to my previous post.

However it is whatever account type you have. If your HGVC account then you have a fixed point grid that uses HGVC point. If it is Wyndham then you have a different fixed point grid using Wyndham points. If it is HICV it uses RCI points that have a conversion factor. If it is a straight up weeks account then you have to use TPUs. It depends on what type of RCI account you are using.

Best to use a fixed grid NON HGVC RCI account to get the best value out of the exchange. If you don't have that, then you have no choices.

AFAIK HGVC have always deposited weeks NOT point deposits.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I added some more to my previous post.

However it is whatever account type you have. If your HGVC account then you have a fixed point grid that uses HGVC point. If it is Wyndham then you have a different fixed point grid using Wyndham points. If it is HICV it uses RCI points that have a conversion factor. If it is a straight up weeks account then you have to use TPUs. It depends on what type of RCI account you are using.

Best to use a fixed grid NON HGVC RCI account to get the best value out of the exchange. If you don't have that, then you have no choices.

AFAIK HGVC have always deposited weeks NOT point deposits.

I have a straight up regular RCI points account and also a tpu weeks account.

Even if hgvc don’t deposits points inventory their weeks deposits are always assigned a RCI points value ie 80.000 RCI points. I’m looking for this particular number so I know how many points I need to “save up” before then.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a straight up regular RCI points account and also a tpu weeks account.

Even if hgvc don’t deposits points inventory their weeks deposits are always assigned a RCI points value ie 80.000 RCI points. I’m looking for this particular number so I know how many points I need to “save up” before then.

I have not keep notes, but TPUs were in the 45 - 60 TPU range. Since I wasn't looking via an RCI points account I can't answer that question.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. If it’s that simple it’s 80.500 points for a 2br and 103.500 for a 3br. As some hgvc resorts are points resorts and others appears not to be I still have my doubts.
At this moment, I see this at The Bay Club At Waikoloa Beach Resort and it's more than 80,500. So, the chart is not accurate.
upload_2018-8-26_15-19-10.png

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks I did read that thread while searching.

Any Idea how many RCI points either a 2 or 3br takes?

Sorry I don't know. I have WorldMark which uses a standard chart for RCI exchanges (similar to HGVC).
I took a look at the sighting board for the previous bulk but I only saw references to TPUs.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry I don't know. I have WorldMark which uses a standard chart for RCI exchanges (similar to HGVC).
I took a look at the sighting board for the previous bulk but I only saw references to TPUs.

Having a mini system with a standard chart (e.g. Wyndham, worldmark), that is NOT an HGVC system is the best value to picking up this high TPU/Point exchanges. You get both the window and the point savings to grab them. HGVC mini system lacks the window of opportunity, as you are restricted by the same HGVC window for those properties even if it is via RCI.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes I agree. :cool:
I’ve used my WM to exchange into the Kings Land, Grand Waikikian, and Lagoon Tower (before the daily resort fees) :thumbup:

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
It takes 12000 Worldmark points or 300000 Wyndham points for the 3 bedroom exchange I got for Lagoon tower for next year. The fee is $35 per day for exchanger plus the Hawaiian occupancy tax
I don’t have Rci points so I don’t know how many Rci points needed for the 3 bedroom unit