• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging my Marriott weeks directly with Diamond?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
When the concierge at a Diamond resort was tryijng to talk me into attending an educational (Sales) presentation. She said that Diamond can offer me free or at least reduced cost exchanges using my Marriott weeks into Diamond locations. She said that I would be cutting out the middleman (Interval) and instead of paying $199 for an exchange, my cost would either be free or much less. I was told that I didn't have to buy a Diamond week or points. I showed skepticism and was told that Diamond makes $ whenever anyone exchanges into one of their units.

Has anyone else heard this pitch and if so, what is the catch?

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will take someone very familiar with Diamond's product(s), and with high integrity, to tell you what is truthful, half truthful, and a lie, or lies. If I may offer a suggestion for your consideration: stay as far away from Diamond people as you can, and whatever you do, do not fall victim to any attempt by a Diamond Representative to sign you up for anything.

Last edited:

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is the Club Combination program where you can enroll a non DRI week in DRI THE Club but you need to buy 50% of the point allocated for your week. Example: if you enroll a 1 bdrm high season then you will get 6,500 pts but you will need to buy 3,250 pts (normally not free) and each year you will have the choice to deposit your week in THE Club or not. When you deposit you got 9,750 pts but when you don't deposit you have 3,250 pts. So, it's similar to enrolling your Marriott's week in the Marriott's Destination Club.

The other program that exist for weeks owner is to join the new DRI destinationXchange network (https://destinationxchange.com/HowItWorks) not affiliated to the point system (not the same inventory) but it still say "At this time, enrollment is exclusively available to owners with Diamond Resorts International". So, except if they have change this limitation but not updated the web site, you can't join this exchange network with a Marriott's week.

upload_2018-10-22_7-31-51.png

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
A little off topic but, having owned in the DRI system (divested this ownership a couple of years ago) and also an owner in the Marriott system, why would anyone seriously consider trading down? DRI is a good system with decent quality but it’s no Marriott. Other than getting into Sedona (DRI has the majority of resorts in Sedona, or so it seems), there’s not that many places you can easily reserve that Marriott doesn’t duplicate and with better resort placement/location than DRI.

And yes, your right to be skeptical. As mentioned above this sounds like the program where, if you buy points, you can “enroll” non-DRI weeks and convert them to DRI points. But you have to become a DRI owner to enjoy the benefit. Most street weasels haven’t a clue how anyth8ng works. They’re simply saying whatever it takes to get you onto the sales floor.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but, having owned in the DRI system (divested this ownership a couple of years ago) and also an owner in the Marriott system, why would anyone seriously consider trading down? DRI is a good system with decent quality but it’s no Marriott. Other than getting into Sedona (DRI has the majority of resorts in Sedona, or so it seems), there’s not that many places you can easily reserve that Marriott doesn’t duplicate and with better resort placement/location than DRI.

And yes, your right to be skeptical. As mentioned above this sounds like the program where, if you buy points, you can “enroll” non-DRI weeks and convert them to DRI points. But you have to become a DRI owner to enjoy the benefit. Most street weasels haven’t a clue how anyth8ng works. They’re simply saying whatever it takes to get you onto the sales floor.

I was thinking the same thing, why leave some of the nicest timeshare resorts in the world, managed by Marriott (a preeminent timeshare resort developer/manager), for a resort managed by Diamond?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks for the feedback so far. When I asked the concierge what the catch was, and asked to I have to buy a Diamond timeshare, she said no. But I didn't ask about having to buy points. And the comments about Diamond being on a lower tier are accurate. They have a lot of resorts in Sedona but in many of the other areas (Tahoe, Kauai, Vegas, etc.) there are often better choices.