• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exclusive Resorts Party 9-20-07 -> UN-Invited!

S

Steamboat Bill

I just got invited to an Exclusive Resorts event in Fort Lauderdale.

September 20, 2007
St Regis Resort
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
6:30pm

Presentation and tour of properties

I can invite a few guests, does anyone want to join me?

Last edited by a moderator:

vineyarder

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, but I'll be on the west coast on 9/20... I was invited to a similar event last year, but also had a conflict. Let us know what you learn!

S

Steamboat Bill

I am also invited to a Ferretti Yacht and Ferraris party in Pompano Beach on September 20th from 5:30-9:30pm

I am planning attending both parties.

S

Steamboat Bill

Busted!!!

Wow...I just got a call from Scott Gehrke (sgehrke@exclusiveresorts.com) and was promptly UNINVITED from the "A Taste of Exclusive Resorts" event at the St Regis Resort in Fort Lauderdale on September 20th.

I just posted this new thread at 8:14am and got booted from the party by 3:00pm....I guess Exclusive Resorts reads the posts on TUG. :D

Scott said that because I was a member of HCC and posted frequently on TUG, that I must not be serious about joining ER and they did not want bloggers at this event. Wow...I was too shocked to even try to convince him otherwise.

Because ER obviously reads TUG and this thread, this message is just for you:

1. I love Exclusive Resorts and this was the first DC that I ever considered joining well over a year ago. I have requested info from ER, spoke with them on the phone, and even toured a property in Turks and Caicos. There is a good reason why this is the most successful DC in the industry...they run a very impressive organization. However, their prices are VERY high and the fact that even if I joined at the Affiliate level for $239,000 and $13,900 in annual dues, I still CANNOT get a holiday reservation. Therefore, I would only consider joining at the Executive level for $349,000 and $22,900 per year dues.

2. I still would like to join at the Executive level, but before spending that amount on a travel club, I wanted to fully explore the destination club industry. While doing my due diligence, I decided to first join HCC as this is a no-brainer when I found out how much it cost to join and the quality of their properties. So far, I really love HCC and the entire DC industry. I was also the first to post a thread on my desire to join TWO DC's http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47550

3. I have posted over 1,600 messages on TUG and I am the Moderator of this Destination Club forum and I have NEVER posted one single "Bad" message about ER. In fact, read this one where I posted about my "Exclusive Resorts Envy" http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44147

4. I added "Jim23" to the Destination Club Members Sticky so he can give input about this club from a member perspective. He is the only ER member to request this after 9 HCC members requested inclusion. I always welcome input from any DC member, Helium Report, and Sherpa Report.

5. I find it ironic that Steve Case made BILLIONS from AOL and the Internet, yet his company does NOT want bloggers to attend a preview event and apparently does NOT like their exposure on TUG. Somehow, I doubt that Steve was the one that UNINVITED me from the event and he probably would want heads to roll if he ever found out. This is a BAD precedent for ER as the Web 2.0 services like TUG and blogs represent the FUTURE of advertising. Geeze....remember how Steve flooded us with all those AOL CD-ROMs. Double irony is that I made a TON of $ off AOL stock before the Time Warner deal and I still use AOL as my preferred e-mail address as I have had it for over 10 years.

6. HCC is not competition for ER....please!...do you think Bentley is afraid of Toyota? HCC is focusing on $1m and below properties and is going after the timeshare market and will probably grow to have MORE members than ER or UR/PE as there are MORE potential buyers. ER is focusing on $3-4m properties and thus has a smaller pool of potential buyers. I beleive the world is big enough for both. ER better keep an eye out for UR/PE as this is your competition.

7. It looks like I will not have to leave the Merrill Lynch party "A Fabulous Evening with Ferretti Yachts and Ferraris" early. I have $100k burning a hole in my pocket after I sold my NCRS Top Flight 1967 Corvette at Barrett-Jackson earlier this year (Lot #726) and I have always liked Ferraris. Besides, I am a GOOD client for Merrill Lynch and when I told them I might have to leave early for the ER party, they said fantastic as they have some type of arrangement with ER and endorse this DC. I know my American Express monthly statements have an advertisement for ER notifying me that I could early 1m points.

Steve Case....You can feel free to call me if you like as Scott has my cell number.

If anyone wants to invite themselves, send Scott an e-mail as you can't be my guest now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
excellent and enjoyable post bill :clap:

ER: the most pompous/pretentious club :eek:
(even moreso than yellowstone club world, which has a ~$3MM buy in)

theyve got some great savings, some great properties, and ultra plan can work well, but unless they change substantially, im still more interested in lusso and ciel for example, especially because of their unlimited use.

HCC even has unlimited last minute use for private members.

Last edited:

LTTravel

Reaction score
Wow...I just got a call from Scott Gehrke (sgehrke@exclusiveresorts.com) and was promptly UNINVITED from the "A Taste of Exclusive Resorts" event at the St Regis Resort in Fort Lauderdale on September 20th.

I just posted this new thread at 8:14am and got booted from the party by 3:00pm....I guess Exclusive Resorts reads the posts on TUG. :D

Scott said that because I was a member of HCC and posted frequently on TUG, that I must not be serious about joining ER and they did not want bloggers at this event. Wow...I was too shocked to even try to convince him otherwise.

Wow, how did they know who you are. There is no private information that they can get from this BBS, is there?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I hope this is all a misunderstanding involving a single individual at ER and that someone at ER will fix quickly. If not, it speaks volumes about ER.

If they fix it, I'll be impressed. If they don't, 'nuf said.

S

Steamboat Bill

Wow, how did they know who you are. There is no private information that they can get from this BBS, is there?

My name = Bill
Location = Boca Raton
Thread = Exclusive Resorts event in Fort Lauderdale

Phone call to Scott Gehrke from ER..."Who do you know that fits the above description?"

Even Inspector Jacques Clouseau could easily figure this out.

I have never tried to hide my identity online.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness...

My name = Bill
Location = Boca Raton
Thread = Exclusive Resorts event in Fort Lauderdale

Phone call to Scott Gehrke from ER..."Who do you know that fits the above description?"

Even Inspector Jacques Clouseau could easily figure this out.

I have never tried to hide my identity online.

Bill,

It's quite apparent you just don't measure up to the ER standards. Doctors just aren't enough for ER, I'm glad to see they are keeping the rift-raft out.

Maybe you need two specialities or something....you might ask them what specialities you should get into to become qualified for membership.

Think about an MBA too, that might be what they are looking for...

:p

P.S.
I only have a BS in Aerospace Engineering - I'm not going to even try to apply, I know I just won't make it. Now my wife has an MBA from Wash U in St. Louis - I wonder if we could sneak in with her diploma. (Do we need to bring it?)

Gee, what a way to start the weekend - I'm going to go sulk for a while and see if I can make it to Monday.

Last edited:

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW!!

What a mistake on the part of ER!!! If this is the way that they treat a pre-qualified, targeted, potential member, how do you suppose they treat members that have already shelled out mega-bucks?

Customer Service 101 states that you don't piss-off the customer because they tell 7 people about each negative experience and those people then tell 7 more people and the affected negative customer base grows exponentially. Add-in the fact that it's 2007 and communications technology and the internet has made that 7 into 70 or 700 and then piss-off a BLOGGER .... well, you do the math.

This really begs the question of WHAT IS ER AFRAID OF? And why are they acting like the typical timeshare sales organization instead of low-pressure DC sales?

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
they are definitely more high pressure. although i havent talked much to other clubs.

"if you cant see how great we are, why i am talking to you?"

instead of being truly invite only - talk to the founder, have to be accepted, etc. THAT is my kind of club.

and gotta love how they call bill a blogger. maybe a reference to his T&C "miniblog"? :rolleyes: SUCH tech savvy people those ER salesmen.

Last edited:

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
they are definitely more high pressure. although i havent talked much to other clubs.

"if you cant see how great we are, why i am talking to you?"

instead of being truly invite only - talk to the founder, have to be accepted, etc. THAT is my kind of club.

Sounds like the high-pressure "snob" sales close. I thought that went out in the '80s! About the only place that still works is for the bottle charge at the hotter Vegas Clubs. ;)

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
i dont know, i mean they do have a lot of good things (like hot/trendy nightclubs) - its just that its not the fit for everyone(for various reasons as bill pointed out very well), and their pretentiousness is so uncultured.

kind like a recent review of Twin Farms i was reading i think on flyertalk. they said the GM was EXTREMELY condescending at dinner in the main room, talking about how great the property was, and categorizing guests and treating those who did not seem to be "their kind of person" or whatever rather poorly. although in their case, they have a MUCH better excuse, seeing as they are pretty much the best in their class in the US. the Point is a lot less flexible, and winvian doesnt include alcohol.

Last edited:

DosMasCervesos

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow. That was a ridiculous move on their part.

I'm considering joining a DC and have been reading all the great posts from everyone here. The amount of information and insight from you all is outstanding (thanks!). I've talked to Heath at HCC and am still trying to determine what club will be best for our family.

I guess I'll move ER to the bottom of my consideration list. :) Uh oh, now that I said that they'll never invite me to join!

Matt

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
they waitlist regularly when waiting on new properties to be completed. i dont think they ever turn down people who can afford to join.

whatmough

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was considering joining both UR and ER in addition to HCC, since I've enjoyed the DC model so much. Based on this and what I think are very questionable property selections and other practices, ER is no longer on my list. Hope the new UR/PE management show them how do things with a little class.

LTTravel

Reaction score
I am amazed that ER would make such a marketing blunder. They are a marketing machine. Once Steve Case bought in, the extra homes, marketing, fancy web site and new sales tactics skyrocketing ER membership. Even the Tanner and Haley bankruptcy was good for ER as hundreds of people signed on after that. If you look at the fine print of all the memberships rules and regulations, you wonder why what looks to be a fine club like Lusso struggled to get to 100 members while ER had over 100 on the waiting list. You have the CEO of DHH joining the discussion here and the ER folks watching and then de-inviting a potential member or if not a member, a person who would have promoted the club if he had a good impression at the sales presentation. Instead, they have created the opposite result by de-inviting him.
I think that they should call and apologize and re-invite, even if you may no longer accept at this point.

S

Steamboat Bill

You have the CEO of DHH joining the discussion here and the ER folks watching and then de-inviting a potential member or if not a member, a person who would have promoted the club if he had a good impression at the sales presentation. Instead, they have created the opposite result by de-inviting him.

I appreciate all the support from members of this Forum. I may forward a link to this thread to ER corporate and see if they want to put anything in writing or even post on this thread. Now that would be interesting.

Yes, I would have posted about the presentation and St. Regis Resort and probably would have given it a huge positive rating. I toured ER's property in the Turks and Caicos and the units were incredibly decorated. I am sure the Fort Lauderdale property is much nicer.

If any TUGer wants to e-mail ER about this...that would be a riot.

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
You obviously are not keeping the correct company. I mean TUG is just a "Timeshare" forum.

I'll get Mr. Milburn Drysdale and Mr. Thurston Howell III to put in a good word for you.

:hysterical:

S

Steamboat Bill

I just sent a short e-mail to the PR department at Exclusive Resorts and Steve Case inviting them to view and post to this thread.

Here is Steve Case's Blog
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/steve

Lucky thing I am a physician so I registered with Steve's revolution health site and sent him a private message. I would be completely shocked if he actually reads his messages or writes his own blog posts.

If anyone wants to view a "real Billionaire's blog"...check out Mark Cuban's blog
http://www.blogmaverick.com

Perhaps I will e-mail Mark and ask for his advice.

S

Steamboat Bill

You obviously are not keeping the correct company. I mean TUG is just a "Timeshare" forum.

Obviously you have NOT read all the threads on this TUG sub-forum.

There are more than a dozen active Destination Club members here and many more "high net worth" individuals that enjoy staying at destinations that cost MORE than $1,000 per night.

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have NOT read all the threads on this TUG sub-forum.

There are more than a dozen active Destination Club members here and many more "high net worth" individuals that enjoy staying at destinations that cost MORE than $1,000 per night.

Easy now, just trying to make a joke.

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
I had about an hour long discussion with ER. Brent W. He was the sales rep for this area. I was totally unimpressed. I really challenged him on a lot of things. Return of deposit, etc.

His response was one of pure arrogance. He basically kept saying over and over again.. 'we are the biggest, we are the best' you have nothing to worry about.

Then I asked If I could stay at a property for a weekend. I offered to pay the going daily rate. They said under no circumstances would I be able to do that. (all the other clubs basically said if I gave them a deposit, they would let me stay for free to experience the club and one or two of the destinations)

The final straw occured when I was really challenging them on the deposit returns and the lack of equity appreciation. He finally said this.. and I couldn't believe it...

"Our members have net worths of between 4-12 million. 400K is discretionary money and they don't challenge us on how we manage that money or how we will give it back).

I said "thank you very much... I'm going to go join Bellehavens."

I'm still in shock he said that, and it doesn't surprise me that you were uninvited.