• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exclusive Resorts Party 9-20-07 -> UN-Invited!

S

Steamboat Bill

Exclusive Resorts did themselves a big disservice by taking the invitation away from you. :rolleyes: I cannot believe this as you have given them more publicity now than they could ever imagine and most people here agree that it serves them right! :hysterical:

It was NOT my intention to embarrass Exclusive Resorts...but it appears that they stepped into a virtural pile of dog poop.

This thread was started two days ago and already has 51 posts and 781 page views.

The MOST amazing thing happens when you Google the following phrase -> "Exclusive Resorts Party"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=exclusive+resorts+party&btnG=Google+Search

This thread shows up as the #1 link in the Google natural (unpaid) links!!!

This, quite simply, is the power of Web 2.0!

Last edited by a moderator:

taffy19

Reaction score
Bill, did you happen to see link #2? :eek:

Last edited:

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would welcome and probaly purchasea hybrid product that includes units in the HCC price range for some trips and at other times units at the ER level. Seems to me that both companies could benefit from the kind of alliance or membership.

The only problem with a High Country Club and ER alliance is that, based upon this thread and my personal experiences, they are polar opposites when it comes to customer service. ER appears to have an old-fashioned, pre-qualifying (in a bad way), snobbish, elitist approach to customer service and sales. My experiences with the High Country Club employees and execs, both in person and by correspondence, have proven them to be genuinely nice, concerned, caring, intelligent business people who understand the evolution of customer service in the new millennium!

Like Bill, I fit the ER target demographic but would never consider them again. If this is how they treat their potential customers when they are trying to get your money, how badly do they treat their customers when they already have their money? And shouldn't ER be treating their customer BETTER than HCC based upon the fact that they supposedly charge more for their memberships in part because of better service? :annoyed:

GOLFNBEACH

Reaction score
And shouldn't ER be treating their customer BETTER than HCC based upon the fact that they supposedly charge more for their memberships in part because of better service? :annoyed:

Any first hand reports on how ER treats members?

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
HAH @ the google hit bill :D

sales and customer service arent necessarily the most closely related.

(like lexus maybe)

on one hand, ER does claim to stretch the rules for members the same way other clubs reportedly do. on the other, i doubt they take some member concerns (that go against their business model) very seriously. to a certain degree, thats to be expected, but its how they handle saying no that would say a lot about customer service. it seems to me that people would leave ER to join another club because of the model, rather than service. unless youre looking for some specific service - like ciel's butlers. (part of their model)

there are the reviews on helium report (take with a grain of salt) and i recall 2 posters here have said they are members, although apparently one of them has been waiting to clear the waitlist.

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

Update

I received a nice e-mail from ER this morning and will post details later tonight as it is a typical Monday and I have a ton of "real work" to accomplish.

Yes, I have a day job, even though I am self-employed and my kids think I only play on the computer all day!

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crow for dinner?

Update

I received a nice e-mail from ER this morning and will post details later tonight as it is a typical Monday and I have a ton of "real work" to accomplish.

Yes, I have a day job, even though I am self-employed and my kids think I only play on the computer all day!

Does this mean I should load up the ol' shotgun and blast some crow for dinner tonight? How does the CEO of ER like his crow? Well done or incinerated?

I remember talking with ER many years ago and the snootiness just turned me off even to this day. I still remember the phrase "This membership fee is pocket change to our members".

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
i presume if he got a follow up email that means they DID review this thread.. this should be interesting.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
can't wait for the details

"Veeeery interesting" as Artie Johnson would have said.

Pehaps, the "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate" award should be given to ER.

Last edited:

NeilGoBlue

Reaction score
I had about an hour long discussion with ER. Brent W. He was the sales rep for this area. I was totally unimpressed. I really challenged him on a lot of things. Return of deposit, etc.

His response was one of pure arrogance. He basically kept saying over and over again.. 'we are the biggest, we are the best' you have nothing to worry about.

Then I asked If I could stay at a property for a weekend. I offered to pay the going daily rate. They said under no circumstances would I be able to do that. (all the other clubs basically said if I gave them a deposit, they would let me stay for free to experience the club and one or two of the destinations)

The final straw occured when I was really challenging them on the deposit returns and the lack of equity appreciation. He finally said this.. and I couldn't believe it...

"Our members have net worths of between 4-12 million. 400K is discretionary money and they don't challenge us on how we manage that money or how we will give it back).

I said "thank you very much... I'm going to go join Bellehavens."

I'm still in shock he said that, and it doesn't surprise me that you were uninvited.

Perry,

It seems we both had the same experience.. (above is my post from earlier in the thread)

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
NW of $12MM means $400K = 3.3%

i guess that might qualify as "pocket change"

but for people in the $1MM - $10MM NW range, i would imagine $200-$400K would be "discretionary" (far from pocket change - they have to think about, plan for, take market forces into account, etc before buying) not "non-discretionary" like the above post seems to suggest ER thinks.

interesting related study
http://www.elitetraveler.com/marketvolatilitimpactstudy.pdf

for bill, from what he was saying earlier, he might have $100K in liquid assets from a car sale that he could spend without discretion. then there is the $100K in TS he could "convert" into DC. id wager that sort of financial situation (not even taking into account other assets etc) is more common than the $12MM net worth for whom $400K might be pocket change.

i seem to recall ciel (launched with a $1MM/$60K plan, and limited to 100 members) saying something like "the consumer we are targetting likely already own 1-2 nonprimary residences"

and the most exclusive concierge, preferred group, has a limit of 30 clients, all with NW in excess of $100MM.

for those consumers, $400K is truly pocket change, but i doubt they would be as interested in ER as some of the other DCs or even moreso fractional ownership.

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

I am Invited again!

This morning I received the following e-mail from Scott Gehrke:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr.,

Thanks for your note over the week end. I felt our phone call ended
awkwardly on Friday and apologize for the confusion. As I said on
Friday, we are excited that you have chosen to be a part of the growing
LDC community. If you are truly interested in learning more about
Exclusive Resorts then we welcome seeing you Thursday evening. The
event is for prospects that are interested in learning more about
Exclusive Resorts and the opportunity to view our residences at the St.
Regis.

I will say it caught me off guard you were a member of HCC. I pride
myself on representing Exclusive Resorts and myself with high integrity
and morals. You and I have been working together since June of 2006 and
I have worked diligently to assist you in evaluating our club. While my
position is sales, ultimately I consult and educate people on Exclusive
Resorts and their vacation needs. We are not a fit for everyone and
only invite people to join after a thorough evaluation of the club.
This is why our member satisfaction is an unprecedented 96%.

Again, I am glad you recognize the void the luxury destination clubs are
filling and hope you are enjoying your membership. If you choose to
attend I look forward to meeting you in person.

My very best,

Scott
----------------------------------------------------

My question to TUGers is...”What should I do...go or no go?”

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would go, for several reasons.

First, you originally had an interest in going. So why not go for those same reasons?

Second, Scott has been big enough to recognize his error. Why not take him up on that invitation rather than stand on principle and spurn him?

Third, as moderator for this forum, you can pick up some useful knowledge that will help others.

Fourth, and perhaps most imp0ortantly, you might decide that ER is for you!

LTTravel

Reaction score
I agree that you should go. Someone has to swallow alot of pride to admit that they are wrong. I think that they have admitted that they made a mistake and I respect that. Go and check it out and let us know what you find out.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
not bad at all. wonder what exactly happened - whether he read the thread before, and then again, or what.

id certainly be curious to hear your impressions of the information and tours at the event bill, if you do go. even if you keep the "report" extremely brief.

Last edited:

Tedpilot

Reaction score
Don't go, their integrity was already busted, mistake or not (not I think....Do Perry's & Neil's experiences not say anything??) I would not trust these guys further than I could throw them. Any salesman worth their weight knows exactly what to say and do should a customer make any reference to a competetor. Shame on him for his veiled effort to get back in your good graces, damage has already been done...now three times by my count.

Ted

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I wouldn't go........Ted makes some very excellent points.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
im not sure how much salesmen reflect on quality of product / customer service. even though other clubs might have better relationship based sales etc, that doesnt necessarily mean that their customer service is the best, or better than ER.

OTOH if this even is going to features lots of such salesmen, maybe it would be better to avoid it, as it wont be very much fun.

maybe it depends on how good the other party is as well :D

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go, for several reasons.

First, you originally had an interest in going. So why not go for those same reasons?
Second, Scott has been big enough to recognize his error. Why not take him up on that invitation rather than stand on principle and spurn him?
Third, as moderator for this forum, you can pick up some useful knowledge that will help others.
Fourth, and perhaps most imp0ortantly, you might decide that ER is for you!

Hello

I thought Dave said is very well -- go -- be objective ( and that will be hard to do ) and report back for the benefit of us all

BTW- very interesting report linked by Kagehitokiri --thanks for posting

A MOST INTERESTING thread .... this has my attention ...:)

Best of luck either way

Greg

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
BTW- very interesting report linked by Kagehitokiri --thanks for posting
Elite Traveler's research is REALLY interesting stuff :)
http://www.elitetraveler.com/research.html

wow, very interesting timing >
http://www.elitetraveler.com/2007-0814.html
Marketing Alert: Mass Affluent Meltdown Gains Momentum...
Donn Davis and Steve Case continue their Revolution...
Another Miraval will open in 2010 in Costa Rica as part of a mega-complex that will include an ER community with its own private clubhouse, a 100-room Miraval Resort and 50 Miraval residences that will each be priced in the millions. There will also be a 120-unit all-suite One & Only Resort in the development fashioned after their Maldives retreat. It is the first time an outside operator has come into an ER development, and for Davis and Case it's a stamp of approval from a preeminent uber-luxury brand that will also use Cacique for their first ever foray into real estate with 250 fully serviced residences priced from $2-$20 million...On the once-in-a-lifetime front, Davis chartered a Seabourn ship for two weeks in the Med this year with a customized itinerary for members. It sold out in two weeks. For 2008/2009, a series of 16 fantasy trips will be offered, including a Dude Ranch and an biking trip through Provence.

other industry articles >
http://www.elitetraveler.com/etinsider.html

amusing >
http://www.elitetraveler.com/testimonials.html
http://www.elitetraveler.com/etvideos.html

while it certainly would be nice / informative for us if bill went, i hope he weighs his own feelings as well :D

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

1,400 page views and counting

Here are some of my thoughts on this entire situation:

1. I originally was very happy to be invited to attend the ER party and was planning on posting a mini-review of the property. Remember I have always liked ER, but have only visited one of their properties in Turks and Caicos and it was extremely nice. Their dedicated private concierge was very friendly.

2. I have no ax to grind or hidden agenda with Exclusive Resorts. I first heard about ER while I was making an offer on some condos in Deer Valley in 2002 (they never accepted my offers but that is a separate story) right after the Olympics. I think they had a little storefront on Main Street and advertised in the Park City/Deer Valley magazines. The membership price was MUCH less than what it is now and I did not join as they only had property in Deer Valley and I was clueless about “Destination Clubs”, this of course is something I regret as the prices have risen dramatically. While on the same topic, I also regret not buying Apple stock in 2003 when it was only $6 per share and it is now $150 (ouch). I think I called ER in 2005 and spoke with a female and they sent me a brochure. I reengaged with ER and spoke with Scott in 2006 and he has been very informative and has answered most of my questions. Other than the invite->uninvite conversation, I have no complaints.

3. I learned a new term today: “LDC community” which means “luxury destination club community”. I guess that the standard “DC” for “Destination Club” is no longer appropriate and needed an adjective added for better clarification. Someone needs to trademark these names (smiley face).

4. I am not sure why ER is so concerned if a prospective customer is a member of another DC, owns a timeshare, or has a bunch of hotel-condos. I have spoken with HCC, UR, and PE in the past and none of those clubs seemed worried about other DCs. In fact, they all like to talk about how they offer better value than ER. For the record, I also own DVC, Westgate, and Marriott timeshares and they ALL are happy to talk to me whenever I take a tour at a new property. I actually think my DVC sales rep Chris Mansour has me on speed-dial as I have bought seven (7) contracts from him over the past several years and he calls me every few months to chat. If you can’t tell from my aviator, I really love Disney. Westgate regularly calls me (I hate those calls) and sends me promos. Guess what, I just booked a school trip (dads and kids only) for 60 rooms and 90 kids at the Westgate River Ranch dude ranch for all my “Boca friends”…it will be fun to watch them drive their Bentley’s, BMW 750’s, MB 550s, and Jags thru the mud. Last year we went to Hawks Cay in the Florida Keys and had a blast.

5. This thread has been very enlightening and I am AMAZED to see how many different individuals posted on this topic. I am also AMAZED to see how Google is a much better search engine than Yahoo as this thread has already been indexed by Google and not by Yahoo. Perhaps it is time to short Yahoo stock.

6. If I was an executive with Exclusive Resorts, I would immediately institute some type of customer service workshops for all their employees. I am NOT singling out anyone, but the amount of posts here all have the same theme that ER is “snobbish” and that is an image they can’t afford to have, especially with UR growing so rapidly with the T&H and PE mergers. Perhaps they all should read “The Disney Way” by Bill Capodagli. ER’s cavalier attitude towards the membership fee may work like a charm for the blue bloods, but will only piss off the average millionaires they are now trying to court.

7. ER should strongly consider adding a new category to their membership to focus on homes that cost $1-2m and have 2-4 week membership plans that would have an average cost per night in the $500 range…or think about buying HCC. I am not kidding about this as I personally think this level of membership represents the “DC Sweet Spot” and the number of members that would join could easily be over 10,000 in a few years. At these numbers, this category would produce more revenue than their current offerings. Is anyone listening?

8. ER and all the DCs should embrace the Internet and Web 2.0. Just check out tripadvisor.com and you will see how cool (and valuable) sites like these are. Try adding a Blog to your sites, RSS, or online message forums. A full-blown social interface like facebook.com would be even cooler. Why don’t more DCs and timeshare companies post on forums like TUG? This is the CHEAPEST form of advertising there is in the world!

9. ER may be the Destination Club’s 800 pound Gorilla, the current King of the Hill, or even the Big Kahuna, but guess what…every DC is gunning for you and just waiting for you to trip. This reminds me of Microsoft Vista…when is Apple going to pounce…when will Google release a free Windows style OS? Does ER really care about its reputation, its potential customers, or even about the competition? ER really needs better answers for the question on everybody’s mind, “Why should I join your club?” When I stayed at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Largo resort a few years ago, I wanted to tour his new “Trump International Golf Club” in West Palm Beach…guess what…they arranged a limo and personal tour of the club….nice!

10. I will try to attend the ER party even thought that means I have to leave the Merrill Lynch party with Ferrari’s early.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
http://www.elitetraveler.com/2007-0814.html#4
bill, you might be interested in that article - the author spoke with donn davis, steve case's "deputy" at revolution resorts (parent company of ER and miraval apparently) it was certainly a lot more interesting than the mainstream media coverage, or even the occasional helium/sherpa interview.

also, its been demonstrated that google does have some real weaknesses especially with general search (after they started expanding) and personally, i really question their business practices / ideology..

Last edited:

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't go, their integrity was already busted, mistake or not (not I think....Do Perry's & Neil's experiences not say anything??) I would not trust these guys further than I could throw them. Any salesman worth their weight knows exactly what to say and do should a customer make any reference to a competetor. Shame on him for his veiled effort to get back in your good graces, damage has already been done...now three times by my count.

Ted

Ted is absolutely correct. I'm laughing as I read that ER has "admitted that they made a mistake", is "big enough to recognize his error" and has "swallowed alot of pride to admit that they are wrong".

ER has done none of the above, they are simply in damage control mode!