• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expecting a Big MF Increase at Grande Vista? [MERGED - FL resorts Fully-Funded Reserves]

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I got a call from MVC and that is correct. The proposed budget includes fully funded reserves which the membership votes down every year. I guess I will keep the property for another year!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Marriott just kind of does what it wants and gets those increases.

I keep thinking how the sales' department hard-sells people on timeshare, and then when owners decided they made a mistake and walk away, Marriott is never hurt by it. It's the owners who are hurt. We pay for the people who don't pay. That is truth. And it's horrible because it's entirely the fault of the salespeople.

While I agree that the sales people never tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, I disagree that sales reps are to blame when owners walk away and saddle their fellow owners with MF's in default.

Timeshares are literally the ONLY thing that buyers are routinely given the benefit of the doubt when they don't take the responsibility for knowing what they're buying and what their ongoing financial commitment will be. The only thing! It makes no sense to me, and even less sense when you're talking about sales made by Marriott sales reps because when you buy direct from Marriott, you have to sign a checklist acknowledging that you understand the basics of ownership, you're told that there's a rescission period AND you're given the legal docs to peruse during that period. Docs that do explain that MF's in default are assumed by the other owners, by the way.

You never hear people say that a car dealership should take back a car when the new owner realizes the ongoing fees are a struggle, same with mortgage companies and homes, same with banks and credit cards. I just don't understand why timeshares are any different, at least the big-name timeshares who DO take care to make sure that all the legal mandates re consumer protections are followed. Why is "Buyer Beware" applied to every other thing on the planet BUT timeshares?!

I do have sympathy for the people who come up against unavoidable financial difficulties, wish it were easier for them to get out of timeshare ownership. But be honest - does anybody really think that if it were made easier to get out with just cause, immediately there wouldn't be a line of owners not suffering financial difficulties who figure out a loophole to make it happen for them? And that there wouldn't be TUGgers spreading the word like wildfire?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I received a Notice of Budget Meeting for Imperial Palms Villas today. I don't usually pay attention to these as I cannot attend but this time I noticed a link to some documents. In the documents I saw a budget proposal.

The budget proposal showed a 42.8% increase in maintenance fees.

Am I missing something here?
The same issue - Fully-Funded Reserves - is being discussed for another Florida resort, Grande Vista, and it's probably a concern with every Florida resort. I'm merging the threads, but if issues come up that are unique to an individual resort those threads will be allowed to stand alone. :)

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a Notice of Budget Meeting for Imperial Palms Villas today. I don't usually pay attention to these as I cannot attend but this time I noticed a link to some documents. In the documents I saw a budget proposal.

The budget proposal showed a 42.8% increase in maintenance fees.

Am I missing something here?
Most of the similar large increase at Royal Palms was do to the inflated reserves and the associated increase in management fees. However, there are 15-45% increases in human resources, front desk, housekeeping, and insurance. A lot of these increases are likely due to the shorter stays from the DC point system. I am concerned that the trust isn't paying their fair share for these expenses. I own a red week and my points cost .68/point based on last year's maintenance fee. If the trust point MF's are .58/pt, they aren't really covering their expenses at some of these resorts.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own at Vistana in Orlando and have never seen anything that asks to fully fund reserves. I just received the proposed 2020 MF for a 2BR L/O with the same reserve as 2019, at $259.28. I wonder why it is different with Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I also own at Vistana in Orlando and have never seen anything that asks to fully fund reserves. I just received the proposed 2020 MF for a 2BR L/O with the same reserve as 2019, at $259.28. I wonder why it is different with Marriott.
What resort is this? I never received a 2020 proposed MF budget this year for either of our Bella or Key West SVV weeks.

Looking at the 2019 proposed budget, for Key West, the 1BR proposed reserve was $97.31 and the actual amount was $48.66. So the proposed budget certainly looks like it had an amount based on fully funded reserves.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What resort is this? I never received a 2020 proposed MF budget this year for either of our Bella or Key West SVV weeks.

Looking at the 2019 proposed budget, for Key West, the 1BR proposed reserve was $97.31 and the actual amount was $48.66. So the proposed budget certainly looks like it had an amount based on fully funded reserves.
SVR Lakes 2BR L/O.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the similar large increase at Royal Palms was do to the inflated reserves and the associated increase in management fees. However, there are 15-45% increases in human resources, front desk, housekeeping, and insurance. A lot of these increases are likely due to the shorter stays from the DC point system. I am concerned that the trust isn't paying their fair share for these expenses. I own a red week and my points cost .68/point based on last year's maintenance fee. If the trust point MF's are .58/pt, they aren't really covering their expenses at some of these resorts.

Superchief. What were last year's MF for a red Royal Palms? Nobody put one the MF thread last year.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Superchief. What were last year's MF for a red Royal Palms? Nobody put one the MF thread last year.
The MF for Royal Palms Red week in 2019 was $1451, which translates to .68 per point for 2125 points. Increases over the past few years were 4.4%, 6.1 %, 5.3, and 5.2 %. The proposed increase this year appears to be much higher, even without the fully funded reserve amount. I hope it is reduced during the meeting.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The MF for Royal Palms Red week in 2019 was $1451, which translates to .68 per point for 2125 points. Increases over the past few years were 4.4%, 6.1 %, 5.3, and 5.2 %. The proposed increase this year appears to be much higher, even without the fully funded reserve amount. I hope it is reduced during the meeting.

WOW! I only paid $1606 for an equivalent week at Bay Club in Hawaii in 2019. Only $155 more a week. . .