• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fa La La Laaaa.....Bah Humbug! Ugh, it has started

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My annual Grinch thread about the holidays starting too early. I have accepted the decorations in the store, but this one threw me for a loop today.

I went to Kohls to return something. I rounded the corner and there is a line that went the entire length of the store. Oh My....I ask an associate, Is this for customer service? She said nope, Santa.

Yep, Kohls had Santa himself in his big chair taking pics with all the kids in the line. Ugh.

As a parent, I'm not sure if I would want to get my kid all "into it" this early. Those little kids all have a pretty long wait.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You're right. It's too early.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Try to stay out of stores.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try to stay out of stores.
No. Stores stimulate the local economy.
I agree, that is too early for Santa. I am quite surprised they had him out.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would guess it is because so many Christmas cards we get have the kids in Santa's lap. Parent's get a head start and the stores get customers through the door. Obviously there was demand. Personally my kids would get wired during that time of year and no way would I want them hyped this early.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Children grow so fast... If you want a picture of THIS year's kids with Santa for your Christmas card, you may need to have it taken early.

[Edit] @bluehende: Wow. You beat me to it by less than a minute.

geekette

Reaction score
Yikes. Honestly, I am having trouble with having to decorate my booth this weekend in Christmas theme. Yes, too early. I tell myself, hey, we had snow last week, it was still there the next morning... but that doesn't really make it Holiday Season for me yet. I will be going easy touch, just draping stuff in red satin and be done with it.

I need people to be in gift-buying mood but I can't get myself to the place where I can really create that holiday spirit.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Xmas should be once every 5 years. Bah Humbug..

Scrooge
Nah, I like having it every year, but preparation shouldn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nah, I like having it every year, but preparation shouldn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Too all posters: Xmas is a great time of year for many people...But just think about the pressure it puts on people that just can't afford it; but will do anything to buy for family and others...This is why there are so many crimes, spousal abuse, alcohol abuse, etc..Sorry to get so serious..But to put it simply; "I Hate Xmas" (once every 5 years works 4 me)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Too all posters: Xmas is a great time of year for many people...But just think about the pressure it puts on people that just can't afford it; but will do anything to buy for family and others...This is why there are so many crimes, spousal abuse, alcohol abuse, etc..Sorry to get so serious..But to put it simply; "I Hate Xmas" (once every 5 years works 4 me)
Sorry, but I don't think Christmas should be limited because some people don't handle it well.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And remember what Christmas really is all about.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
In Canada - we know Christmas is coming when Dollarama fully sets up the Christmas aisle .( Now )

(Halloween came down last week)

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been tuned into XM channel 70 holiday music already, it's also on TV Spectrum music :D. I confess to a couple Holiday movies on whatever channel I've got on TV over the weekend. I have cut back on gift spending $$$ past few years, but enjoy my decorations that will go up after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Not worried about "handling well"...How about "can't afford"
There are lots of things people can't afford, yet they still manage to somehow celebrate them. You don't have to have money to celebrate the spirit of the season. If you think Christmas is all about money and who can give the most, best and most expensive gifts you need to rethink what the holiday is about.

For years I made pretty much all of my Christmas gifts. There were years I would bake and give the baked goods. It wasn't much, but it was appreciated.

geekette

Reaction score
affordability of Christmas? Depends on how you grew up and what you think it means. Presents do not need to be store-bought and many times, presence is the present.

There is no requirement to spend any money for any holiday. It's a choice. Every single person can afford to experience a holiday, whatever their tradition. Who could afford the first Christmas? Did it make them sad?

wanting to blow money on gifts for others yet not having the means to do so is a weird reason to be sad, imo. sad is when you couldn't cobble together enough to pay the electric bill and feed your kids.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Christmas does not start in our house until Thanksgiving Day. After all, the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade ends with Santa, as does the Macy's parade. Christmas music is acceptable starting this day, but only after the ceremonial playing of that classing Thanksgiving anthem, Alice's Restaurant.
We don't start until the beginning of December. I will usually put up our minimal indoor decorations the first weekend of December and the tree goes up only about a week before. Christmas music starts later in the month. I do like your tradition for starting off with Alice's Restaurant. :)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did we lose peace, joy and goodwill to man?

I blame Amazon. The malls are just not the same. :ponder:

Reactions: Tia

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have not had a traditional Xmas in many, many years, especially since my parents passed and our son living far away. I literally got rid of all my Xmas decorations- tree and all.

We now spend a few days up at an inn in NH (beautifully decorated) (or maybe at our timeshare resort or a hotel) eat out- sometimes even in a Chinese restaurant! Limited choices for XMAS. Sometimes I am in a swimming pool on XMAS. We do go to church on XMAS morning. Exchange a few gifts- just my husband, son and I.

I usually send my one niece a gift card or money and my brother and his wife a food gift via mail. Most times hubby and I do not exchange gifts or just do something very small. Our son gets money, a gift card and a gift of some sort. That's it. I have not done XMAS cards in a very long time- when postage started to skyrocket.

It still seems kind of lonely, especially when you know there are lots of people at large family gatherings having a lot of fun. That is how ours used to be back in the good ol' days. Italian family- lots of aunts, uncles and cousins- loud! Tons of food!

I now actually use my holiday dish towels, pot holders and mugs year round to get use out of them. (needed extras anyway). But all else is gone.

When we move up to NH. I don't anticipate much to change except we will have our meals at our house and maybe I will put a wreath on the door. That's about it.

At least afterwards I don't have to take anything and put away and can just move freely into the new year.

One year we did spend a few days at XMAS at Smuggs with my brother and his family and we all had a wonderful time. Smuggs does a great job during the holidays. Lots of things to do also.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We've held on to as much of our Christmas traditions as possible. We now live in the same town as dh's sister and bil. We generally spend both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner with them. We also host a holiday party for neighbors and friends earlier in the month. Our younger dd has been with us every Christmas since we moved, and as she is living with us currently we expect her to be around for at least a few more. :) Older dd who still lives in California joins us when she can. She will be here this year. I think our nephew and his girlfriend will be coming from Japan to spend the holidays with his parents, so we'll see them as well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This year for the first time we will be at our timeshare- Smugglers Notch- for Thanksgiving week. Our floater just so happened to fall that week this year. Our son is very happy to not have to drive so far, as we always had Thanksgiving at our home (sometimes with my brother and his wife and daughter), and we are happy to be able to stop up in NH the day before check in to finally see our new house, since last we saw it was in August and only consisted of footings.