• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Feedback please! (bad rental?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The deposit was to hold the week for your use.

But if Yumdrey found someone else and said, "I have someone who is going to pay me 100% of the amount upfront and am returning your $400," you would have been angry (had you not broken your foot and planned to go on that trip).

So then you would be saying, "I paid a deposit for you to hold the week for me." :rolleyes:

Ah, but suppose Yumdrey had said, "I have someone who is going to pay me 100% of the amount upfront. If you want to keep the unit you need to pay me the balance by [date] or I will return the deposit and rent to the other person."

It all comes down to what the purpose is for the deposit - is it holding the space or is it a down payment? In general commerce deposits are used both ways. So without specific statement of intent by the parties, to me saying it's a "deposit" is ambiguous.

Further, to me "deposit" implies refundable unless the deposit is specifically identified as "non-refundable". That's especially true in rental situations; a person applies for a unit and makes a deposit to hold the unit while other details of the transaction are worked out. If the transaction falls through (e.g., credit check fails) the deposit is returned and the parties move on.

So to me it's ambiguous in this case what the deposit was for. Now let's apply the general legal principle that ambiguous language in an agreement is generally interpreted in favor of the party that did not propose the language.

So to me the matters turns on who raised the issue of making the deposit. Whoever proposed that a deposit be made bore the burden of identifying what the deposit would secure. That apparently didn't occur in this case. Therefore the effect of the deposit should be construed in favor of the party that received the suggestion to use a deposit as part of the transaction.

So if Yumdrey said, "Great! Send me a deposit and I'll get working on the confirmation", then I would go with Jennifer's understanding of the meaning of "deposit". But if Jennifer said, "I want to rent and I'll send you a deposit to hold the unit" then I would hew to Yumdrey's expectation of what the deposit was for.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
No offense taken whatsoever.

The reasons I say there has been confusion based on language is that some of Yumdrey's posts have been grammatically difficult for me to understand. Initially for example she said she rented to someone else, then it seemed like she was saying she COULD rent to someone else, then it turned out she did rent to someone else. Yumdrey made an unexplained reference to being out $2000, that was confusing until someone got her to clarify it was about a lawyer fee- but she had never mentioned a lawyer before, so no one knew what she was talking about.

I also said that I mightn't have had the presence of mind to email my rentee if my father had just died, but I was kind of saying that to be nice. In fact, years ago my father DID die unexpectedly- I needed to go home ASAP, and I realized that was going to impact a lot of people besides me, so in the middle of the night I managed to call enough colleagues to get all my emergency shifts covered for the following 10 days. I don't fault Yumdrey for not getting in touch with Jennifer,but it would have really been very helpful if Yumdrey had recognized that she was in the middle of a last minute rental and her rentee might freak out if she was trying to reach Yumdrey but could not. So a 20-second email to Jennifer would have made Yumdrey's position unassailable. Again, this is not a criticism on Yumdrey- three kids at home, unexpected death, international last minute travel- she had a lot on her plate and less-than-perfect communication is totally understandable given the circumstance.

Personally, I think Yumdrey is 95% in the right here and Jennifer should havesaid something more to the effect of "OMG, your father just died and now you have to deal with this mess about the rental. I am so sorry that I posted about this on TUG, had no idea what you were dealing with and I am apologetic I put more on your plate right now, that was amazingly inconsiderate of me. Don't worry about the deposit right now, deal with your personal life, do whatever you think is right once things are more settled. If I haven't heard from you in 2 weeks, I will check in and see how you are doing."

Most of the time in any sort of dispute, I find it is most helpful to consider both sides very carefully. Usually if you just tell someone they are 100% wrong, they will dig in their heels further. It is rare that one side is 100% wrong. Well except that Norway guy, he is 100% wrong.

H
Overall, I really have a lot of respect for your overall post and agree with 90% of it.

But, why does everyone keep saying this? I think that she has communicated very well on this thread. What is the part that you feel that Jennifer misunderstood because of a language barrier in this matter? It's my belief that Jennifer knew why she was paying the deposit and is trying to strong arm yumdrey to get her money back. I find this thinking about a language barrier kind of patronizing myself.

If you just condense all this nonsense down to the basics, it comes down to Jennifer paid a deposit, backed out of the deal, and wants to get her full deposit back (or at least $300 of it). I just feel like everyone is giving Jennifer way too much rope here.

Please don't take offense...

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jennifer, I would suggest that you stop & take a step back before you continue posting here. I have to say that for awhile you had my sympathy. You broke your leg and could not travel in a timeframe that was so short relative to the verbal agreement to rent that the paperwork had not even been signed yet. I also am of the mindset that your deposit is nonrefundable when renting a TS, but I can see in your individual case why you might think/hope otherwise, you were really still in the process of securing the rental.

However, then you came to TUG and did a number of pretty bad things. One, in this thread, you stated that the week secured was a different week than you needed which turned out to be untrue. Then two, you suggested the whole thing might be a scam, you had not heard back from your rentor. But you did not mention that you rentor was a 4-year member with nearly 2000 posts. You knew your rentor was out of the country in a situation that made it hard for her to communicate. The likelihood of your rentor never showing up on TUG again was remote. So now you came to her house and openly disparaged her. Of course that is going to move things in an acrimonious direction and you have to accept that you are the one who moved things that way. Third, you opened the PayPal dispute, which now means (I assume) that you two can't just come to a settlement on your own. And fourth, you have shown zero sympathy to rentor who turned out to have a much bigger crisis than you did- sorry but deceased father trumps broken leg by a big margin. Maybe part of the reason she had to rent at a loss is that she has a lot to deal with since her father passed and she doesn't have the time to devote to renting the week out right now. Remember, you agreed to rent it & then backed out, you are the one creating more work for rentor right when her father has passed away suddenly. I (and I guess many other TUGGERS) would think more highly of you if you recognized any of these things, but you seem very focused on being right in the letter of the law here and I'm sorry but the negative manner in which you are portraying yourself in this matter is not worth $400 IMO.

Now I don't think Yumdry is blameless in all this- I have found it very hard to follow all of what she's saying, I have the impression English is not her native tongue and the communication during this whole mess have been poor on both ends. I also think if you all were in the middle of a transaction, it would have been very reasonable for you to hope to get a quick email - " father passed away unexpectedly, will be out of country for 4 days & hard to reach, don't worry I have your week for you". That would have been really helpful but I'm not sure I would personally have had the presence of mind to do so if I were in Yumdreys shoes.

On the whole, Yumdry has turned out to be way more in the right than you are. I would suggest you consider again that YOU scuttled the deal and are ultimately the genesis of the problem. Food for thought, you are a big girl and can decide what you say next here on the TUG forum. It just would be nice to hear a little bit of you taking responsibility for this situation and a consequent conciliatory tone.

H

Excellent post!

Is there anyway we can learn the name of the OP? I want to make sure I don't fall for her rental scam.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, but suppose Yumdrey had said, "I have someone who is going to pay me 100% of the amount upfront. If you want to keep the unit you need to pay me the balance by [date] or I will return the deposit and rent to the other person."

It all comes down to what the purpose is for the deposit - is it holding the space or is it a down payment? In general commerce deposits are used both ways. So without specific statement of intent by the parties, to me saying it's a "deposit" is ambiguous.

Further, to me "deposit" implies refundable unless the deposit is specifically identified as "non-refundable". That's especially true in rental situations; a person applies for a unit and makes a deposit to hold the unit while other details of the transaction are worked out. If the transaction falls through (e.g., credit check fails) the deposit is returned and the parties move on.

So to me it's ambiguous in this case what the deposit was for. Now let's apply the general legal principle that ambiguous language in an agreement is generally interpreted in favor of the party that did not propose the language.

So to me the matters turns on who raised the issue of making the deposit. Whoever proposed that a deposit be made bore the burden of identifying what the deposit would secure. That apparently didn't occur in this case. Therefore the effect of the deposit should be construed in favor of the party that received the suggestion to use a deposit as part of the transaction.

So if Yumdrey said, "Great! Send me a deposit and I'll get working on the confirmation", then I would go with Jennifer's understanding of the meaning of "deposit". But if Jennifer said, "I want to rent and I'll send you a deposit to hold the unit" then I would hew to Yumdrey's expectation of what the deposit was for.

Steve, you provided me a perspective that I hadn't considered previously... thanks!

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious that your posts are ill-informed, caustic, and needlessly shrill? Since *I'M* the OP, allow me to enlighten you by stating, unequivocally, that I don't require an internet forum to 'find support' to do anything you suggest. Clear cut rental terms solve problems like this, not uninformed, cretinous posts like yours. Your armchair psychoanalysis falls woefully short. I don't mind disagreement and I don't have to be right all of the time, but please don't try to boil down a (semi) complicated issue with watered-down Oprah-speak about 'support' or whatever.

After reading this I have only one advice "when you find yourself in a deep hole - for goodness sakes stop digging".

Some (perhaps even most) will disagree with you - calling what they say "Oprah-speak" will only hurt your cause.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
-snip-

Is there anyway we can learn the name of the OP? I want to make sure I don't fall for her rental scam.

I think this would be unethical use of the [private] info provided to TUG.

I also think it is a bit over the top to call what foreverloves did/does a "scam" - I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it could rip off landlords even if repeated over and over.

Feel free to enlighten me.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
No offense taken whatsoever.

The reasons I say there has been confusion based on language is that some of Yumdrey's posts have been grammatically difficult for me to understand. Initially for example she said she rented to someone else, then it seemed like she was saying she COULD rent to someone else, then it turned out she did rent to someone else. Yumdrey made an unexplained reference to being out $2000, that was confusing until someone got her to clarify it was about a lawyer fee- but she had never mentioned a lawyer before, so no one knew what she was talking about.

I also said that I mightn't have had the presence of mind to email my rentee if my father had just died, but I was kind of saying that to be nice. In fact, years ago my father DID die unexpectedly- I needed to go home ASAP, and I realized that was going to impact a lot of people besides me, so in the middle of the night I managed to call enough colleagues to get all my emergency shifts covered for the following 10 days. I don't fault Yumdrey for not getting in touch with Jennifer,but it would have really been very helpful if Yumdrey had recognized that she was in the middle of a last minute rental and her rentee might freak out if she was trying to reach Yumdrey but could not. So a 20-second email to Jennifer would have made Yumdrey's position unassailable. Again, this is not a criticism on Yumdrey- three kids at home, unexpected death, international last minute travel- she had a lot on her plate and less-than-perfect communication is totally understandable given the circumstance.

Personally, I think Yumdrey is 95% in the right here and Jennifer should havesaid something more to the effect of "OMG, your father just died and now you have to deal with this mess about the rental. I am so sorry that I posted about this on TUG, had no idea what you were dealing with and I am apologetic I put more on your plate right now, that was amazingly inconsiderate of me. Don't worry about the deposit right now, deal with your personal life, do whatever you think is right once things are more settled. If I haven't heard from you in 2 weeks, I will check in and see how you are doing."

Most of the time in any sort of dispute, I find it is most helpful to consider both sides very carefully. Usually if you just tell someone they are 100% wrong, they will dig in their heels further. It is rare that one side is 100% wrong. Well except that Norway guy, he is 100% wrong.

H

Heathpack,

I would just like to say how much I appreciate all your contributions to TUG and I would gladly pay your membership fees for TUG from now until forever. :clap: Thank you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think this would be unethical use of the [private] info provided to TUG.

I also think it is a bit over the top to call what foreverloves did/does a "scam" - I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it could rip off landlords even if repeated over and over.

Feel free to enlighten me.

Boca was kidding. Absolutely joking. I think. :rofl:

Steve, I don't really see the difference between deposit and money to hold the week. I don't think I'd make a very good lawyer.

Of course, Yumdrey didn't try to take the week from Jennifer. Jennifer was trying to thrust it back at Yumdrey, and Yumdrey had to re-rent the week quickly, while dealing with his/ her father's death and funeral.

A little empathy is all it takes, and Jennifer is bereft of empathy for Yumdrey's situation.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do a bunch of rentals (we took guardianship of a 14 yr. old and can't travel like we did) and I just asked DH if we accepted Paypal (he handles the rentals) and he said he hadn't in a while. I told him not to use them if someone like her can dispute and actually GET the money back. Terrible!! :bawl:

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The deposit was to hold the week for your use.

But if Yumdrey found someone else and said, "I have someone who is going to pay me 100% of the amount upfront and am returning your $400," you would have been angry (had you not broken your foot and planned to go on that trip).

So then you would be saying, "I paid a deposit for you to hold the week for me." :rolleyes:

Cindy, that is almost exactly what I said in post # 90. Quoting myself" ever executed identifiying a cancellation policy.

IMHO a detailed rental agreement prevents problems for both the owner and the renter and both know what is expected.

That is why if someone rents from us through Paypal I have then put in the info box the they agree to all of the rental terms in ad number for the resort dates and unit listed that ad. I also have it in all of our rental agreements that there are no refunds but have it written and suggested in our ads that they purchase renters insurance for cases of injury, sickness, etc.

I get 100 % upfront payment to secure the rental as in the first year of renting people had all kinds of excuses and I ended up chasing money. I caught a couple in lies as they had found desperate last minute lowered rentals a week or so before checking in that creates a big problem for us as owners..

How would a renter feel if they had rented something from a owner and one week before check in the owner emails back your Paypal payment and cancels your reservation after you made all kinds of travel and other monetary arrangements because you did not have a signed contact for a high demand resort week?

What if the owner emailed the renter that the owner had found another renter who would sign a rental agreement and pay him :whoopie: $500 more and now does not want to honor:annoyed: their word and oral commitment.

Heck, some complain that our rental agreements are to detailed because they are to lazy to spend a couple minutes reading about the terms of the rental that they may be paying us $199 to $1,599 on a rental. Unquote

Bruce

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Steve, I don't really see the difference between deposit and money to hold the week. I don't think I'd make a very good lawyer.

Of course, Yumdrey didn't try to take the week from Jennifer. Jennifer was trying to thrust it back at Yumdrey, and Yumdrey had to re-rent the week quickly, while dealing with his/ her father's death and funeral.

A little empathy is all it takes, and Jennifer is bereft of empathy for Yumdrey's situation.

What does "hold the week" mean? Does it mean that you've agreed to rent the week and the deposit is a down-payment? Or does it mean that you're putting a hold on the week while you work out the details to be sure it will work?

It can easily mean either. So how do you know what is meant?

I'm suggesting the way the courts handle ambiguous language is useful here. It's up to the party that suggests the provision to define what that provision means. If that party fails to do so, the meaning applied will be the meaning adopted by the party that did not suggest the provision.

That's why insurance policies, for example, go into great detail about what is or is not covered. When the insurance company says it will cover "losses", the company needs to define clearly what is a covered loss and what is not. Otherwise the court will side with the policy holder as to whether or not an event is covered, and if there is any reasonable expectation that something might have been covered it will be covered.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What does "hold the week" mean? Does it mean that you've agreed to rent the week and the deposit is a down-payment? Or does it mean that you're putting a hold on the week while you work out the details to be sure it will work?
I get it now.

So it depends how the courts would interpret their emails, which we have not seen.

There were some communcations back and forth, apparently in regards to a $400 "deposit" to either rent or hold the week, and those emails would make it all more clear, and that's for the courts and not us. Yep.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This can all be boiled down to 3 words: USE RENTAL TERMS

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do a bunch of rentals (we took guardianship of a 14 yr. old and can't travel like we did) and I just asked DH if we accepted Paypal (he handles the rentals) and he said he hadn't in a while. I told him not to use them if someone like her can dispute and actually GET the money back. Terrible!! :bawl:

They can dispute it only if it is within 60-days of the charge. So, if you take a paypal payment more than 60-days from check in, you are usually fine.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Trust me - it's NOT easy to get your money back from Paypal! :D

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our daughter keeps all email communications and still had one person dispute a charge. The woman even filled out the satisfaction survey after the rental was over.

It was a strange dispute, and our daughter sent all email communications to the CC company at the time of the dispute, but I don't think she won that one. I think the renter got by with lying. The Wyndham ressie was in the CC holder's name, and an ID is required at check-in for Wyndham. Our daughter had all bases covered, but apparently people can still get by with stealing. All they have to do is say their card was stolen, weeks later. :rolleyes:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
This can all be boiled down to 3 words: USE RENTAL TERMS

I'd like to know if any owners out there have had any experience with Paypal disputes for their rentals? Has anybody had success from the owner side in a dispute regarding timeshare rentals? Denise, have you?

Even with clear rental terms, the rentee could always say any falsehoods they wanted to and Paypal would probably still side with the buyer.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd like to know if any owners out there have had any experience with Paypal disputes for their rentals? Has anybody had success from the owner side in a dispute regarding timeshare rentals? Denise, have you?

Even with clear rental terms, the rentee could always say any falsehoods they wanted to and Paypal would probably still side with the buyer.

I won my recent Paypal dispute, but it was a completely different scenario. My dispute was not with the renter.

Paypal asks for written documentation - you are supposed to Fax and/or email them documentation of your facts. i.e. the person who has the money is supposed to prove that they should keep it.

Also, I don't leave money sitting in my Paypal Acct. where a scammer can freeze it while Paypal is investigating the dispute.

Last edited:

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score

It can easily mean either. So how do you know what is meant?

I'm suggesting the way the courts handle ambiguous language is useful here. It's up to the party that suggests the provision to define what that provision means. If that party fails to do so, the meaning applied will be the meaning adopted by the party that did not suggest the provision.

That's why insurance policies, for example, go into great detail about what is or is not covered. When the insurance company says it will cover "losses", the company needs to define clearly what is a covered loss and what is not. Otherwise the court will side with the policy holder as to whether or not an event is covered, and if there is any reasonable expectation that something might have been covered it will be covered.

Here is what all of our full rental agreements have in them regards to holding a week

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE, in order to try to be fair to all interested potential interested renters the first prospective tenant to send the landlord payment in full will secure the unit, and other later arriving check or Paypal payments will be returned. The EARLIEST POSTMARK gets our unit if two checks arrive for the same reservation date booked.

There are several reasons for this and it makes our :whoopie: renting life simpler.

Bruce :D

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The one and only time we ever went the timeshare rental route was years ago, a DVC Points rental through the disboards. It was the first time for the DVC owner, too, and we were equally nervous. We talked on the phone a few times to get more comfortable and then used a template contract that was recommended by the site. The terms on that contract included a "no refunds" policy but made an exception - if we cancelled and the owner was able to rent the existing reservation for the same amount or more, we would get a refund of what we'd paid.

I think that's way more reasonable than the "no refunds ever" policy that you all seem to be in favor of, and I think it goes a long way toward making the rental process less risky for those who trust owners to do the right thing.

Gotta say, this thread only reinforces my thought that the risks with renting timeshares, for all parties, are simply not worth whatever income or savings you can generate.

I rented my DVC points our for years. I always got paid 100% before I put the timeshare into a buyers name. I only had one predicament. A guy worked for GM during the time everyone was being fired. I called up member services and explained the whole thing to them. Ordinarily those points would have gone into a holding account. But instead, Disney put the points back into my regular account and allowed me to cancel that reservation (because of the extreme conditions my rentee had) That's the way things should always go.

On the other hand, another of my renters got sick and couldn't travel. He sent his wife and kids on ahead until he felt better. He called and asked me if he could cancel and I told him no since it was only days till his checkin date. . So the next best thing was to send his family without him and he joined them later.

I did a lot of rentals and these are the only two that had a problem. I almost never used a rental agreement and only provided one if I was asked for one.

I did have one renter who rented from me and lied to me. She said she had two adults and two kids in her party for a studio. Then she asked if she could bring another young kid with her. I said as long as the kid was small enough to sleep in a crib she could do it. So guess what she does, she brings the extra kid AND her mother in law. Three adults and three kids in a DVC studio!!! That's nuts.

As far as this thread goes, and I read the whole thing. I think the seller should have given her back the money. She rented the timeshare to someone else. If the seller upgraded her room on her dime it should not effect the OP. As soon as she rented the week out she should have returned the money to the OP. Im just saying, that would be the fair way to do this... and a way that would not have caused such hard feelings;

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here is what all of our full rental agreements have in them regards to holding a week

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE, in order to try to be fair to all interested potential interested renters the first prospective tenant to send the landlord payment in full will secure the unit, and other later arriving check or Paypal payments will be returned. The EARLIEST POSTMARK gets our unit if two checks arrive for the same reservation date booked.

There are several reasons for this and it makes our :whoopie: renting life simpler.

The only time I allow someone to hold a week is if it's a rental based on floating ownership and I offer to try to switch the week to another week they want if it's available. To do that I require pre-payment of a deposit (typically around $200) before I check into availability of alternate dates. If the requested dates are not available the deposit becomes non-refundable and they have five days to send the rest of the money. After receiving the rest of the money - and only after - do I actually switch the reservation to the alternate dates.

Once I receive the deposit, I put the unit on hold for the inquirer, meaning that I agree not to rent the unit to anyone else, but I do say I will continue to field inquiries. If they haven't paid the balance within the alotted time I keep the deposit and continue the previous rental activity.

If at some point the original person does decide that they want to rent the unit (for either the advertised dates or alternate dates) I will credit the previous deposit against the rental.

Without this process I found that I got a lot of tire kickers who would just ask if some certain dates were available, then they would disappear. After doing this they don't ask for different dates unless they're really serious about following through on a rental if the dates are available. In fact, I can only recall one time where someone asked about alternate dates.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the requested dates are not available the deposit becomes non-refundable and they have five days to send the rest of the money.

Is this a typo? I don't believe you keep their deposit if the dates aren't available! How do you get them to send the rest of the money? ;)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is this a typo? I don't believe you keep their deposit if the dates aren't available! How do you get them to send the rest of the money? ;)

Yeah - typo and fixed.

The notion of course is that they are ready to rent if the reservation can be switched. But if I'm going to go to the work of checking availability they need to be ready to rent if the dates are available.

I advertise that the date can be switched, because I want to rent and I want to accommodate interested parties. But without that provision you get lots of people who are just poking around, and I end up wasting time inquiring about availability, then they just say thanks (if that) and I don't hear from them again.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only time I allow someone to hold a week is if it's a rental based on floating ownership and I offer to try to switch the week to another week they want if it's available. To do that I require pre-payment of a deposit (typically around $200) before I check into availability of alternate dates. If the requested dates are not available the deposit becomes non-refundable and they have five days to send the rest of the money. After receiving the rest of the money - and only after - do I actually switch the reservation to the alternate dates.

Once I receive the deposit, I put the unit on hold for the inquirer, meaning that I agree not to rent the unit to anyone else, but I do say I will continue to field inquiries. If they haven't paid the balance within the alotted time I keep the deposit and continue the previous rental activity.

If at some point the original person does decide that they want to rent the unit (for either the advertised dates or alternate dates) I will credit the previous deposit against the rental.

Without this process I found that I got a lot of tire kickers who would just ask if some certain dates were available, then they would disappear. After doing this they don't ask for different dates unless they're really serious about following through on a rental if the dates are available. In fact, I can only recall one time where someone asked about alternate dates.

I also have that option covered as

5B. In most cases for special request for a non existing reservation check in date that we do not have a confirmed reservation for, there is NO CHARGE to have us check for availability for your special request that we do not have reserved at that time.

But a $200 good faith Pay Pal Good Faith down payment is required before we will CANCEL one of OUR confirmed reservations and try for a period of 2 business days after the Pay Pal good faith down payment is received to reserve your special request time period. If we are not able to reserve the reservation timeframe that you want we will refund your $200 good faith Pay Pal Good Faith down payment.

The main reason for this policy is that we may have already reserved a hard to reserve high demand reservation and may have to cancel that high demand reservation to try and accommodate your request.

The reason we have the rule as it is not fair to the owners to have the owners cancel a high demand and book a special request week, so their efforts and time is not wasted by people who made that special request and then not rent.

Once the confirmed reservation is made the renter-tenet after being emailed is to send in the remaining balance due with in 24 hours.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I use the Judge Judy method. What is a deposit for if not to hold something from other potential renters/buyers? As she says you have to expect it to be "used up" once given for that purpose.

On the rest IF the unit / item gets sold/rented for an amount that exceeds the original agreed price any overage is due back to the renter / buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.