• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Few Comments on Grand Luxxe Stay in Nuevo Vallarta

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
We just returned (six adults) from a week at the Grand Luxxe Villa. I thought I would throw out a few observations from a frequent visitor.

- Our room assignment as an owner was disappointing; There is another ongoing thread on this.

- As always, the staff was great and friendly as ever across the site. The condition of the golf courses were excellent and does seem to be a lot of progress around the theme park. I do think there will be some sort of initial opening late next year.

- We ate at only two of the on site evening restaurants this trip: La Cantina and Costa Arena. La Cantina was good (not great) and the light show was fun. Costa Arena was awful. They had a new menu - quite expensive and the food was really bad. Hopefully, this is just a one-off problem, but I would avoid for awhile.

- On the good side, all of the pool restaurants are excellent, creative, and reasonably priced. We have started eating at those in the afternoon and then going over to LaPlaza later for snacks - works well for us.

- We also used room service more this trip; they really do a great job. We normally cook in for breakfast - but room service is a nice alternative.

- The Lazy River was open and fun. While they often turn up the waves periodically to make gentle waves, this trip. a couple of times, they cranked up the waves to an amazing level - the waves were actually breaking over the top of the river bank. A lifeguard was there the whole time. My wife stayed back until they stopped it; it was actually quite invigorating for this old guy. The kids were having a blast.

Check out was easy; they are getting quite good at getting a lot of people from the towers to and through the taxi stands.

In spite of the lousy room assignment, we had a great time.

Mike

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
- Our room assignment as an owner was disappointing; There is another ongoing thread on this.

In spite of the lousy room assignment, we had a great time.

Mike

What room assignment did they give you? What did you not like about the room?

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
What room assignment did they give you? What did you not like about the room?

We were in Tower 4 on the first floor with a good view of Palm trees and some of the mountains behind Puerto Vallarta - not bad by any means except when you compare to high floors. As an owner, I expected better; that is my issue.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes as an owner, I would expect you to get a higher floor. What type of membership do you own?
I noticed that Nuevo Vallarta uses a “punishment” system instead of “positive reinforcement.” They put owners and guests in the worst rooms to punish them until they go to a sales presentation. Most hotels put guests on the best rooms within their category or even provide upgrades when the hotel is not at capacity to create good will and happy memories. Instead, Vidanta is killing their brand image and sending us back home with negative stories to tell our friends and family. I have a new name for Vidanta’s sale strategy. I call it ROOM HARASSMENT. They harass you with bad rooms and will not give you a better room until you agree to go to a owner update or sales presentation.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Yes as an owner, I would expect you to get a higher floor. What type of membership do you own?
I noticed that Nuevo Vallarta uses a “punishment” system instead of “positive reinforcement.” They put owners and guests in the worst rooms to punish them until they go to a sales presentation. Most hotels put guests on the best rooms within their category or even provide upgrades when the hotel is not at capacity to create good will and happy memories. Instead, Vidanta is killing their brand image and sending us back home with negative stories to tell our friends and family. I have a new name for Vidanta’s sale strategy. I call it ROOM HARASSMENT. They harass you with bad rooms and will not give you a better room until you agree to go to a owner update or sales presentation.

I have owned at the Grand Luxxe Villa since well before any were built. To be honest, generally, we have gotten good locations and views; this time being an exception. Of course, it is possible that it was a one time screwup; however I have this gut feeling that Sales is being allowed more influence on room assignments than the past; if so, that is a serious mistake by Vidanta management. Furthermore, the logic is flawed as exchangers in worst rooms should see ownership as a way to get the best rooms.

When I bought, we were being given a lot of goodies like free golf / senior discounts. Now that they don't do that, what is the incentive for exchangers to buy except for better room assignments and other perks for owners. It does appear that Vidanta leadership does not really value long term ownership and has no intention nurturing that - a serious mistake from my experience.

From a postive perspective, I have seen fast changes in management behavior over the years. Maybe they will get their act together.

Mike

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned at the Grand Luxxe Villa since well before any were built. To be honest, generally, we have gotten good locations and views; this time being an exception. Of course, it is possible that it was a one time screwup; however I have this gut feeling that Sales is being allowed more influence on room assignments than the past; if so, that is a serious mistake by Vidanta management. Furthermore, the logic is flawed as exchangers in worst rooms should see ownership as a way to get the best rooms.

When I bought, we were being given a lot of goodies like free golf / senior discounts. Now that they don't do that, what is the incentive for exchangers to buy except for better room assignments and other perks for owners. It does appear that Vidanta leadership does not really value long term ownership and has no intention nurturing that - a serious mistake from my experience.

From a postive perspective, I have seen fast changes in management behavior over the years. Maybe they will get their act together.

Mike

I am in GL NV now. One of Vidanta Directors told me yesterday that a sales representative is on the room assignment committee. Ridiculous! We were ready to upgrade to a 1 bedroom two level Loft with Gold status but we have changed our mind. There are very few benefits with the upgrade and no room view guarantees with Gold status, even if you stay at Grand Bliss or Grand Mayan. Not worth it. The Director’s attitude was “we are a business here to make money.” He said he did not need business from US citizens and he did not care what TUGGERs and other online review boards said about Grand Luxxe because they were making millions per year in sales. We contacted a few rental agents about renting out our current contract and they said there is an oversupply of owners wanting to get rid of their contracts and so the rental prices are falling. Grand Luxxe is seriously damaging their reputation. I regret buying my membership. Fortunately we can afford the loss and if we stop coming, it‘s just water under the bridge. A bad learning experience. No more Mexican timeshares.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
But be aware, the Vidanta director you mentioned is really from Sales and not to be believed regardless whatever they say or who they say they are. The real directors of Vidanta are outside of Sales. Because the sales high pressure tactics work, they will probably continue to use them. I'm not so sure any strategy that angers long term owners will be tolerated for long. Time will tell.

My contract has many addenda. Frequently, I have issues when booking or using. Member Services has always been great at resolving my issues; unfortunately, room assignments are not in the contract so we are at the whim of whatever policies are in place. Member services management is aware of my concerns; who knows what will come from it - but I am patient.

Russell, I believe you are letting your anger get in the way of vacation fun. Outside of sales, the rest of the Vidanta ownership experience is great. My friends and I still had a great time and we always do. I will continue to fight to get Sales under control - but I will keep going and enjoying.

Mike

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Hadn’t thought about getting an addendum for room assignment, but it would probably be worth trying for. I’m thinking about upgrading to the penthouse lofts next year; I might ask for an addendum saying no lower than 4th floor in the studio lofts or suites when trading down. Spa units would be pretty much covered as a fact of life, and I’m not sure they trade into villas. If they do, I’ll ask for a minimum floor there, too. Everything is negotiable when they need the capital.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Hadn’t thought about getting an addendum for room assignment, but it would probably be worth trying for. I’m thinking about upgrading to the penthouse lofts next year; I might ask for an addendum saying no lower than 4th floor in the studio lofts or suites when trading down. Spa units would be pretty much covered as a fact of life, and I’m not sure they trade into villas. If they do, I’ll ask for a minimum floor there, too. Everything is negotiable when they need the capital.

Eric, I have tried but have been unsuccessful at achieving any sense of guaranteed floor levels or for guaranteed availability. I understand as both would be nightmares for reservations to manage. But again. it never hurts to try. I do have some addenda that helps on the availability. I have actually never had a problem with getting reservations.

On the Tower 5 Penthouse lofts, do you know per the contract what they trade down to? Are they all 1 bedroom? I know the 3- bedroom spa trades down to a 2 bedroom villa plus a 1 bedroom villa / suite. A 2 bedroom loft (Towers 3&4) trade down to the 2 bedroom Villa plus the Junior villa. However, even if I owned the 3 bed spa and traded down, I still have no guarantee - just sales propaganda that I would get a good room assignment in the villa or even Grand Bliss. The only thing I would be assured of is a much higher usage fee.

Mike

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I believe they trade down to suites, 2 BR Spa, and lower. I know they’ll get a junior villa, but don’t remember if they’ll get a 2 BR villa; I would guess not since that’s a trade down from the 2 BR loft. Trading down from the penthouse to the studio lofts will get you 2 weeks, but you have to pay the 2 usage fees, of course. I didn’t see the actual standard contract for them, though, but that is what the sales folks said; I plan on verifying all, of course. I did wind up getting an addendum on exchanges last time I was there in order to clarify that; someone posted about jungle lofts in RM and whether the penthouse trades to them; that’s also on my list of addenda to ask for if they don’t.

The advantage I see of the penthouse loft over the 2 BR spa, which we quite enjoyed staying in last time we were there, is the higher position in the food chain there. Apparently it gets you gold status with Vidanta, which I haven’t seen objective quality evidence of yet, and the chairman level with Vidanta Lifestyle, which I’ve been able to verify. At my current level with them I’ve found a program that allows me unlimited privilege weeks through ICE/SFX, which makes it quite simple to say no to additional weeks offered in sales presentations. I just have to try out the penthouse and see if I like it.

As far as guaranteed room assignments go, the only thing I see that could be a certainty is the spa and loft units due to their limited locations. Might be the same for the presidential ones, but I’m unfamiliar with the layout of punta and don’t think any are available now anyway. Next time I’m down there I’m planning on comparing the costs for the spa and penthouses; there are certain advantages to each of course. Heading to RM as well, to try them out. So far I haven’t had anything like the negative experiences others have related and have enjoyed every stay there, but I spent quite a few years on submarines and probably have a different perspective.

rpennisi

Reaction score
"....but I spent quite a few years on submarines and probably have a different perspective."

That is very funny! Das Boot and a GL penthouse suite...quite the contrast, lol.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
"....but I spent quite a few years on submarines and probably have a different perspective."

That is very funny! Das Boot and a GL penthouse suite...quite the contrast, lol.

yeah, compared to a submarine, the view from my first floor villa would be spectacular. Sometimes, it helps to keep everything in perspective.

Mike

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I believe they trade down to suites, 2 BR Spa, and lower. I know they’ll get a junior villa, but don’t remember if they’ll get a 2 BR villa; I would guess not since that’s a trade down from the 2 BR loft. Trading down from the penthouse to the studio lofts will get you 2 weeks, but you have to pay the 2 usage fees, of course. I didn’t see the actual standard contract for them, though, but that is what the sales folks said; I plan on verifying all, of course. I did wind up getting an addendum on exchanges last time I was there in order to clarify that; someone posted about jungle lofts in RM and whether the penthouse trades to them; that’s also on my list of addenda to ask for if they don’t.

The advantage I see of the penthouse loft over the 2 BR spa, which we quite enjoyed staying in last time we were there, is the higher position in the food chain there. Apparently it gets you gold status with Vidanta, which I haven’t seen objective quality evidence of yet, and the chairman level with Vidanta Lifestyle, which I’ve been able to verify. At my current level with them I’ve found a program that allows me unlimited privilege weeks through ICE/SFX, which makes it quite simple to say no to additional weeks offered in sales presentations. I just have to try out the penthouse and see if I like it.

As far as guaranteed room assignments go, the only thing I see that could be a certainty is the spa and loft units due to their limited locations. Might be the same for the presidential ones, but I’m unfamiliar with the layout of punta and don’t think any are available now anyway. Next time I’m down there I’m planning on comparing the costs for the spa and penthouses; there are certain advantages to each of course. Heading to RM as well, to try them out. So far I haven’t had anything like the negative experiences others have related and have enjoyed every stay there, but I spent quite a few years on submarines and probably have a different perspective.

It seems like you are thinking through all the right questions. When we upgraded to the GL, there was no hint of lofts or spa towers. I wanted the villa over the suite because of the extra room but primarily because of how it traded down. I can get a 2 bedroom Grand Bliss and a one bedroom GB suite for a different week when we don't need the extra room - which is most of the time. I think it is important to really think through how you want to use the membership and at the lowest weekly price as well as the lowest purchase price.

I really don't understand how the tower 5 penthouse suites fits in the hierarchy or the costs involved. I don't have any kind of gold status or any feel for its real value. I do have both SFX exchange and privilege weeks but I opted out of vida lifestyles after my one year window; I saw no value for me.

Mike

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hadn’t thought about getting an addendum for room assignment, but it would probably be worth trying for. I’m thinking about upgrading to the penthouse lofts next year; I might ask for an addendum ...... Everything is negotiable when they need the capital.

Eric, I have tried but have been unsuccessful at achieving any sense of guaranteed floor levels or for guaranteed availability. I understand as both would be nightmares for reservations to manage. But again. it never hurts to try. I do have some addenda that helps on the availability. I have actually never had a problem with getting reservations.......

Mike

Very interesting example of how a change in one part of a "process " can have unintended consequences .

A ) prior process - "hotel side front desk " assigned rooms - more or less based on a check out /clean room / check in format .
If you wanted "ocean view etc " the front desk basically said - talk to the wrist band/ room key staff - who had the ability "TO REWARD" a visitor who booked a presentation .
<this was basically the "unwritten rules in the manual" for all parties >

B ) new process (in Nuevo) - wrist band / room key staff assign rooms - and (some) are choosing "TO PUNISH " those who do not book a presentation by assigning low desirability rooms ;
(even when the resort is reportedly no more than 50 % full ) - Unchanged is the ability "to reward " for booking a presentation.

>>>

UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE - a owner interested in upgrading MAY choose NOT to upgrade UNLESS an addendum is negotiated that allows the owner better control of room location
in any future bookings .

Process B - which (IMO) may have been implemented with the intent to increase the number of presentation bookings - Is now creating an ADDITIONAL "BUYER OBJECTION " that sales will have to overcome in order to "close a deal".

Thoughts---- Vidanta (?)
and others.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Very interesting example of how a change in one part of a "process " can have unintended consequences .

A )prior process - "hotel side front desk " assigned rooms - more or less based on a check out /clean room / check in format .
if you wanted "ocean view etc " the front desk basically said - talk to the wrist band/ room key staff - who had the ability "TO REWARD" a visitor who booked a presentation .
<this was basically the "unwritten rules in the manual" for all parties >

B )new process (in Nuevo) - wrist band / room key staff assign rooms - and (some) are choosing "TO PUNISH " those who do not book a presentation by assigning low desirability rooms ;
(even when the resort is reportedly no more than 50 % full ) - Unchanged is the ability "to reward " for booking a presentation.

>>>

UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE - a owner interested in upgrading MAY choose NOT to upgrade UNLESS an addendum is negotiated that allows the owner better control of room location
in any future bookings .

Process B - which (IMO) may have been implemented with the intent to increase the number of presentation bookings - Is now creating an ADDITIONAL "BUYER OBJECTION " that sales will have to overcome in order to "close a deal".

Thoughts---- Vidanta (?)
and others.

I do know that I have seen people rewarded with better room assignments by agreeing to the presentation. I have no problem with that as long as the better room assignment is not at the expense of someone else. IOW, as long as the units are not full.

In my case, I was not punished for not agreeing to the presentation; I was actually planning on it. Although pure conjecture, I assume my room assignment was intended not as a punishment but to make me more open to upgrading to get a better room assignment next time. Sales was fully aware that I repeatedly had turned down their offers. The unintended consequence for sales is I refused to attend the presentation because of the poor room assignment and I will continue to do so in the future. Until I see some respect for my long term ownership, they will not see any hint of an upgrade as what would be the point.

You are also correct as I will never give them another cent unless contractually, I have control over room assignments. The thing this experience taught me is I can deal with poor room assignments - not really that big a deal; however, I do not deal with lack of respect well and will certainly never reward it.

Mike

rpennisi

Reaction score
In the "good old days", you could ask the check in person for a location and get it. I would, and I am ashamed to admit this, ask my wife to ask the check in person for a particular view in Spanish, as my wife is bilingual. This is when Grand Mayan was the top level in Vidanta's inventory. They would also give us owner bracelets to GM even though we were MP owners.
Times have changed.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the "good old days", you could ask the check in person for a location and get it. I would, and I am ashamed to admit this, ask my wife to ask the check in person for a particular view in Spanish, as my wife is bilingual. This is when Grand Mayan was the top level in Vidanta's inventory. They would also give us owner bracelets to GM even though we were MP owners.
Times have changed.

I'd do the same if DH or I were fluent in Spanish. I took lessons for a while, but in no way am I considered bilingual.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
can someone explain what grand luxxe spa 3br unit gets in NV. I saw the spa cabin, what does that mean? just wanting to understand before we go next year.

Thanks

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Large unit on the upper floors of tower 3 or 4 at the corners. Not sure what a spa cabin is. We stayed in a 2 BR spa a couple of months ago in NV and loved it. Halfway decent kitchen w/cooktop but no oven.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
Large unit on the upper floors of tower 3 or 4 at the corners. Not sure what a spa cabin is. We stayed in a 2 BR spa a couple of months ago in NV and loved it. Halfway decent kitchen w/cooktop but no oven.
thanks - I was wondering what the spa cabin was as well. :)

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
thanks - I was wondering what the spa cabin was as well. :)

Curious also what a spa cabin is also. Just speculating that it might be referring to the room in the spa configuration where the massage table is; I could see some brochures calling that a spa cabin for lack of a better name.

In the 3 bedroom configuration, it is a small room close to the Master bedroom with a massage table plucked in the middle of it. My thought it would be a great place for a kids timeout - not much else.

Mike

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only reference to a spa cabin I found while searching was talking about ones by the beach at MP PV for getting massages.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the 3 bedroom configuration, it is a small room close to the Master bedroom with a massage table plucked in the middle of it. My thought it would be a great place for a kids timeout - not much else.

I’d want them further away if it’s a timeout....

vermut

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like you are thinking through all the right questions. When we upgraded to the GL, there was no hint of lofts or spa towers. I wanted the villa over the suite because of the extra room but primarily because of how it traded down. I can get a 2 bedroom Grand Bliss and a one bedroom GB suite for a different week when we don't need the extra room - which is most of the time. I think it is important to really think through how you want to use the membership and at the lowest weekly price as well as the lowest purchase price.

I really don't understand how the tower 5 penthouse suites fits in the hierarchy or the costs involved. I don't have any kind of gold status or any feel for its real value. I do have both SFX exchange and privilege weeks but I opted out of vida lifestyles after my one year window; I saw no value for me.

Mike

It is impossible to actually understand the hierarchy as we did a sales presentation in RM during thanksgiving week and they were trying to get us to trade up both out contracts, 3br spa and my NV bldg 5 studio loft (prior a 2br GL condo) first to a 2 or 3br loft unit and then when they thought we would go for the money wanted us to jump to the 2br jungle estates they are starting to build in RM. When we said we actually use and exchange the loft contract, they then offered to just do all for the same money with just the 3br spa. We did opt out of doing any changes for the first time. Last year I restarted both contracts for an additional 10 years and had to add entertainment, who knows what it is worth, but did not want to lose the use of the registered week, until I see how owners just with the 2 weeks that are old lingo VF weeks are treated. And I actually did not want to feel pressure to upgrade because my 10 years were up. Now I have the time to just sit back and attempt to understand. What I like about both contracts is that if I actually use them in NV they are building specific and I know where the rooms will be. If I use spa unit in RM I know where that will be as well.

I will say the other reason I did not want the jungle units is that i do not want to be so far from everything at the resort. When you are reliant on shuttles to get back and forth across the road it just takes so much time to get anywhere.

What i learned this trip is that whomever has platinum is now getting more and more perks at least on resort. The new beach club at RM is more or less reserved the first two hours for platinum members to get their chairs. While I was able to get seats, there are not many choices. However as a gold member at least I get to call the gold/platinum line and those who are answering are trained much better. I have a whole bunch of addendum to my contract and now it does not take me an hour to do things.

Lastly I kept my chairman Vida Lifestyle. I have found ways to use it over the years to actually save me money, including on multiple cruises. Unlike when I did through registry and had to use a week, now it is straight up discount. This time going on a 2 week cruise and have a real savings of $2,000 below what it would have been for all of us.

All i do know is that they are going to keep creating new products to make more money and no one is ever going to understand what people are paying and what they are worth. I have no issues with what I own as we are using or renting almost all of our weeks each year and we are still on the younger side of the owners. What I find interesting is I met an owner this time around who owns a bunch and was talking about an exit strategy. I did not know how to tell him there are so many owners trying to unload what they own at cost and there is no way you are finding someone to buy 2 and 3 br loft units that will only have 2 weeks in a vacation club and not a registered week for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I look forward to the theme park and all the other changes they are making.