• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Hawaii trip $$$ Better be worth it!

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Great job on your planning! Looks like it is coming together really well! Great finds on the flights for sure! We're using SWA points for the most part, and a couple of Hawaiian Air flights for inter-island Kona to Kauai and a leg on the way home Kauai to CA. Thinking about switching to Hawaiian on the leg out to KOA since it might be more comfortable and I'm seeing some decent fares...not quite as great as your $187, though! I'll have to do more poking around.

As for rental cars check Costco travel online. Also autoslash. Costco is also good for discount card for various activities on the Islands.

Another tip for rental cars: check corporate rates if your/your spouse's employer have them and if they're available for personal use. For us so far, the Costco rates can't beat my corporate rate with Enterprise, plus my corporate rate includes insurance coverage an 9 (yes, 9!) extra drivers. We're traveling with my parents, so having them be able to drive the rental will be nice.

@geist1223 is the discount card something you pick up at Costco in HI? Or something I can find online beforehand?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Excellent results!

Dave

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
It's all money well spent. Enjoy your trip! We'll be on the Big Island a month after you. Save me a Maitai or two. ;)

Dave
I fully expect to see a picture of you with a Kona Brewery beverage.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I fully expect to see a picture of you with a Kona Brewery beverage.

Definitely. Or this, my favorite Hawaiian mixed drink. :)

Dave

maitai.jpg

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very impressive. Have a Great time with your family!
Share pictures if you can. Looks like fun.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I wasn’t complaining just tired while planning the return flight and pinning down a few nights where we won’t be in a resort. So since m last post, I have booked the two nights we needed before we check in. I actually have done really well , from what I’m reading, financially and resort booking. I love planning but this has been my most extensive planning for any trip. Plus we’re leaving in two weeks for WDW so I was getting kinda burned out. Plus have to make sure our business back home is being taken care of . All is good!

Sit down now cause some of the scores I found might be shocking! ( I don’t know, you tell me)

Here’s what I have so far for my family of 4 for prime summer weeks:

Flights to Ca from east coast for ALL 4 of us = $107
Flights for Ca to Kona $187pp on American Airlines

2night stay using a few of our HICV points traded in RCI (we will waste 1night cause hotel was for a 3 ngt booking, still cheaper than anywhere else) $279ish

4th of July holiday week: Hilton Kohala Resort $800

Flights from BI to Honolulu on SW $180using a companion fair w/SW

5ngts/6days @Hilton Hawaiian Village $800

7ngts/8days Marriott Ko’Olina Resort $600:banana:

I still need the car rental and return flights and possible hotel for return in Ca

I think I did pretty good considering it’s my first time planning something so big and I’m still fairly new to the TS game. And I might add that my goal for Marriott Ko’Olina for that exact week to bump up to the Honolulu week was found on my own searches and after about 6 months, it was like I had hit the lottery when I saw it on my computer screen that lovely morning:cheer:only two weeks ago!

And I must add that this trip will fall on both of my kids bdays and our daughter is turning 18 plus our anniversary is not far after so it’ll be great to celebrate all!❤️

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I believe you can only get the Hawaiian Activity Discount Cards in Hawaii but I could be wrong.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
I just noticed one mistake that slipped by me... I did not notice until now that the hotel I booked on arrival for two nights until resort check in is far away from the airport, :( When I booked, I saw it said 2 miles to airport but I didn't notice it was to Hilo, not Kona. But we did want to spend those first nights near the Volcano National park area. I was over zealous. It'll be okay, hubby likes to drive :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I just noticed one mistake that slipped by me... I did not notice until now that the hotel I booked on arrival for two nights until resort check in is far away from the airport, :( When I booked, I saw it said 2 miles to airport but I didn't notice it was to Hilo, not Kona. But we did want to spend those first nights near the Volcano National park area. I was over zealous. It'll be okay, hubby likes to drive :)
You should still be able to change that, unless you prepaid with no cancellation.

We have done the drive from the Kona airport to Volcano the day of arrival. It's brutal (well not really but after a 5 hour plane ride not fun) but can be done. Our problem was that our plane was late arriving and we barely got to Volcano in time for our dinner reservation.

What you might also think about doing is find a place in Volcano Village, or even at the park, for those two nights. It won't be as long a drive as it would be to Hilo, and you'll be closer to the park.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And if you are staying in Volcano Village, or even in the park, try to have dinner at the Kilauea Lodge. You need reservations. It's been sold since the last time we were there, but from what I hear it's still wonderful. That was always our place to stay (and eat) when we were on the Big Island and would spend a few nights in Volcano Village.

This is their new website:
https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/kilauea-lodge

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My only experience has been on Maui but maybe these tips will help:

We found that if we purchased groceries that were on sale the prices were more like regular prices at home (we were already Safeway club members and joined Food Land by just giving over our home phone number)

Rented car through Costco but buying food from grocery store worked better for us.

Became experts on best poke deals (foodland for us)

Bought some great souvenirs at costco (t-shirts and candy) and consignment store (Hawaiian shirt and cookbook)

Enjoyed lots of "cheap eats" places, take out or happy hours

As others have suggested, do allow for some splurging. We had some great meals out and went on an amazing snorkle/whale watching tour. You only live once!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My only experience has been on Maui but maybe these tips will help:

We found that if we purchased groceries that were on sale the prices were more like regular prices at home (we were already Safeway club members and joined Food Land by just giving over our home phone number)

Rented car through Costco but buying food from grocery store worked better for us.

Became experts on best poke deals (foodland for us)

Bought some great souvenirs at costco (t-shirts and candy) and consignment store (Hawaiian shirt and cookbook)

Enjoyed lots of "cheap eats" places, take out or happy hours

As others have suggested, do allow for some splurging. We had some great meals out and went on an amazing snorkle/whale watching tour. You only live once!
These pretty much will all apply on the Big Island as well.

Since you are staying in the Waikoloa Resort area your grocery shopping choices are limited. You could make a stop at Costco on your way back from Volcano, but we found even as a family of four, the quantities were too large. We do buy chocolate covered mac nuts there, and ship them home to be given out to friends. We also buy our sunscreen there. For grocery shopping in your area there is an Island Gourmet in the Queen's Shops. Their prices might be a bit higher, but we loved their selection on some items. They have great poke, and also a nice selection of prepared meats. If you want a more full service grocery store there is one up the hill in Waikoloa Village, the Waikoloa Village Market. Neither of them have any discount programs.

We usually get a rental through Costco, then register it with AutoSlash. AutoSlash will monitor your rental and notify you when they find a lower price. At that point you can take the lower price, or not.

When eating out you can sometimes save by eating earlier, using Happy Hour menus, etc. Check Groupon, sometimes they have deals for restaurants.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Duplicate

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
If you or your SO is active or retired Military/Reserves/Guard/DOD civilian employee then check out Kilauea Military Camp. They have 1 to 3 Bedroom cabins with kitchens. They have a Cafeteria that is open to all.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Foodland at the Mauna Lani does offer a discount program. It’s in the marketplace of the next resort over, just north of the Waikoloa Beach resort. I do prefer the KTA up the hill at Waikoloa Village, and the Saturday markets up in Waimea on Saturdays for produce.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
You’ll be fine in Hilo, just make sure it has AC - you will really need it!
Look up the inland cross-Island route from the airport direct to Hilo - it’s the absolute shortest route. It’s referred to as the Saddle Road, but it’s the new Daniel K Inouye Highway. From the airport, it will take less than 2 hours, and it’s an easy and straight drive for the most part - it’s also fast, so please go with the flow on this one, as locals and many tourists do count on this road for a quick journey.
Coming back, to get to the Hilton, choose either one of the coastal routes:
The southern route is longer and crosses through the Kau’u and Kona Districts. Punalu’u Balery is over-rated IMO, and the single-lane traffic on Highway 11 to cross Kona end-to-end is not pleasant. It only opens to a two-lane just before the Walmart, when coming in from the south.
Better for you, I think, would be to take the Hamakua Coast road. You can plan on a quick stop at Akaka Falls and at the Waipi’o Valley overlook. You’ll be doing a quick pass through Waimea, which would allow you to stop for groceries at the big Foodland store there (with really good choices and discounts).
The south Kona attractions (Greenwell coffee farm visit (free), Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Park, the Painted Church (small donation), cacao farm (free to stop in, fee for visit), Daughters of Hawaii Thrift Store, Donkey Balls, Sea Gypsy Gelato, etc.) can more pleasantly be done as a day trip IMO. Your Volcanoes Park pass will also allow you entry to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau (within 7 days.)
Btw, in Hilo, pick up a cooler at Walmart or Sears - you will be using it the whole time.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Foodland at the Mauna Lani does offer a discount program. It’s in the marketplace of the next resort over, just north of the Waikoloa Beach resort. I do prefer the KTA up the hill at Waikoloa Village, and the Saturday markets up in Waimea on Saturdays for produce.
That must be new since the last time we were on the Big Island (the Foodland at Mauna Lani I mean). Or else we just never checked there for groceries.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
I still need the car rental
Have you looked at checking out Autoslash.com for getting a car rental? They have significantly better rates than even Costco. You put in your request and they will monitor various companies' rates for you up till the time you leave. Just make sure you reserve with an option to cancel at any time (meaning, don't pay for anything upfront!) without any cost. They'll sometimes have a "pay now" and "pay later" option displayed but ignore "pay now" because your rate will continue to get better and better the closer you get to your trip. But this way, you lock in a good rate now that can only get better.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Foodland at Mauna Lani has been there for years, it’s at the opposite end of the Marketplace from Tommy Bahamas. They have a Makai discount card, that you could use for discounts (based on your phone number, so quick to set up the first time that you go through the check-out.)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The Foodland at Mauna Lani has been there for years, it’s at the opposite end of the Marketplace from Tommy Bahamas. They have a Makai discount card, that you could use for discounts (based on your phone number, so quick to set up the first time that you go through the check-out.)
I am familiar with the Marketplace. There used to be a wonderful nail salon there. Sadly it had closed the last time we visited. I do remember a market, just didn't remember it was a Foodland. We would shop at either Island Gourmet or the Waikaloa Village Market.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in utah so I don't have to go as far. I own in Hawaii so I've had my share of experience. Costco. Buy your food and alcohol there. Oahu we ate out a little more because our kitchen was so small. I own on Maui and kauai. Buy gas at costco. Use costco, Hawaii discount car rental or auto slash to get good car rental rates.

I always buy the Hawaii revealed book for each island. Have fun. My favorite great on Oahu is matsumoto shaved ice, get the beans. And on the big island is the punaluu bakery. You can sometimes get their sweet bread at Wal-Mart or costco. I like the kona brewery.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Almost forgot Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu Avenue for a local experience for lunch in Honolulu. We walked there from The Modern Honolulu. Walked through town to get there. Then along the Canal coming back.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
Almost forgot Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu Avenue for a local experience for lunch in Honolulu. We walked there from The Modern Honolulu
Go to Rainbow Drive-In after walking up Diamond Head and back! (Will need car though unless you know how to take public transport.) This place was just featured on TV in a scene on the new Magnum P.I. show!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We used the Bus to go to Diamond Head.Hiked up to the Rim. Then used the Bus to return. Seniors and Retired military get an all day Pass for $2.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lilikoi malasadas.............................not over rated

I agree. We love their white sweet bread so much we take an extra suitcase home with us. The kids will love turkey sandwiches and pog. Makes the best French toast ever.