• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fixed Week/Fixed Unit Available for Sale?

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - sorry if this question is addressed already, but my family owns at Monarch on Hilton Head, which is primarily a fixed week/fixed unit resort.

We are interested in purchasing additional consecutive weeks in the unit we already own via resale - is there a way to determine whether those weeks in that specific unit have been added to the trust for Destinations Club use, or whether there is still the possibility that they could be available via resale at some point?

I know that buying a bundle of a fixed week w/ points could be available through Marriott, but we really don't want to go that route - from a price standpoint, but also because we aren't interested in the points at all.

Thanks!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Besides searching the Trust records in Florida, does South Carolina have detailed property records you could search online?

If you haven’t already, others have recommended leaving a note under the door of the week and unit you are interested in, explaining your interest and to contact you.

I expect a couple of folks familiar with the trust records will chime in shortly.

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
Hi - sorry if this question is addressed already, but my family owns at Monarch on Hilton Head, which is primarily a fixed week/fixed unit resort.

We are interested in purchasing additional consecutive weeks in the unit we already own via resale - is there a way to determine whether those weeks in that specific unit have been added to the trust for Destinations Club use, or whether there is still the possibility that they could be available via resale at some point?

I know that buying a bundle of a fixed week w/ points could be available through Marriott, but we really don't want to go that route - from a price standpoint, but also because we aren't interested in the points at all.

Thanks!
I certainly agree with your preference for Fixed weeks/Fixed units. Monarch owners love their fixed weeks. I think the chances are low of finding owners of the same unit in consecutive weeks to purchase additional weeks. If you can find fixed weeks consecutive to the one you own to purchase, you can request to stay in the same unit rather than move. I have done that several times at Monarch and have been accommodated. I did not always stay in the unit I owned, but stayed both weeks in the same unit. Or, you could buy a floating week in the same season and request not to move, but you would have to go through the 9am phone called on the day inventory is released, but you would get to reserve at 13 months and again at 12 months.

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
All good thoughts, and I appreciate them!!

@TXTortise - we aren't local to the HH area, so I don't know how I would accomplish leaving a note under the door during the weeks before & after we are there. I'm sure the cleaning staff would remove any note I tried to leave before we departed the unit. :( I am hoping I'll hear something from those with some knowledge of the trust records/deed search and what could be possible there. I was hoping maybe someone would have already compiled a list - lol! My understanding is there aren't many Marriott resorts that were sold as fixed week/fixed unit, so I wonder how difficult an undertaking that would be? As I would think that it would be the fixed week/fixed unit resorts where that information would be of great benefit for those looking to purchase.

@Theiggy - I've posted a "would like to purchase" ad on the Monarch Owner's website (and here), but the Monarch Facebook page is a good idea too - thanks! I will do that!!

@BreakingAway - I've thought about the floating option as well, but we really just don't want to go down the "alternative" roads at this point. If we could determine that the weeks we are interested in in our unit simply aren't available via a private resale any longer (they've already been added to the DC trust), then we may consider pursuing one of the alternative methods of obtaining an additional week(s).

The fixed week/fixed unit has worked out really well for our family - my family owns two weeks and other family members own during the same weeks, so it has provided an annual family get together in a fantastic location - without requiring significant planning and organization. :)

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
In addition to the above recommendations, I'd talk to management there including someone on the board. They may be willing to send a letter or email on your behalf or some other contact option to the owners in question. They can also look at the history of the unit to see what the usage has been (use, rent, exchange, go empty) as well as if there have been fee issues). Another option might be to look for multiple consecutive weeks in a different unit, you might have more success that way than finding your specific unit. If you have different units reserved or a floating unit you can request not to move but if someone else has a fixed week/fixed unit and plans to use it or rent it, you'll be out of luck. Remember you'd also fall down to the priority of your lowest unit reservation so an exchange or DC points reservation might be tough to get to stay in the same unit. Buying the exact unit to string together at this point is literally a needle in a haystack. Personally I'd knock on the door rather than just leave a note if you're going to be there for the week(s) you want anyway.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
@hme83 I can relate. Dean has some great ideas. I had the same issue looking for a Maui week owner, but we were onsite to leave the note, though I had another Tugger do it one year. Never did find the owner, or if it was in the Trust.

I don’t know the rental activity for Monarch, but I’ve found the owner of other weeks by watching Redweek rentals.

Also, the Facebook group mentioned may be another starting point. For Maui, Steven Ting even started a Maui Fixed Weeks Owner group which has been growing and helpful.

Lastly don’t forget to let an active broker or two know you are looking for your specific weeks are a group of two weeks. Their network may surface something before its ever listed. I got my Maui weeks, finally, after finding a broker with a pocket listing and a two year follow-up after a ‘not interested’ when I first inquired.

Not an easy effort, but keep at it. Fixed weeks are worth it.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
What weeks are you looking for? Unit and week, that is. Let me know and I may be able to help.

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Thanks!
Good morning,

I wanted to see if that week was already in the Trust. I have a spreadsheet that I compiled circa 2016 of all weeks in the Trust -- I didn't recreate it so I can't share it on TUG and I don't really advertise that I have it for that same reason.

The Week 16 or 19 are not in the Trust (at least as of several years ago) and I think it's unlikely that they were added. Unit 3821/week 14 is the closest week in there (but they do have week 52). I will keep an eye out, but it is a needle in the haystack search to find that owner.

If you post on TUG and ask a TUGger to leave a note for the owner if they are onsite, I bet a TUGger would do it for you....

Good luck and I hope you get your week!

Best,

Greg

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the additional suggestions - greatly appreciated!

@GregT - I sent you a pm with the details. :)

@Dean - can you give me a bit more explanation of "you'd also fall down to the priority of your lowest unit reservation"? I know that owners or a guest (renter, etc.) of an owner are always going to take priority in their owned week & unit, potentially forcing a move if you are occupying the unit for additional time in another manner. Is that what you mean? That if we extended our time in another way and requested not to move, that we potentially would not occupy our own unit for any portion of the stay? Your thought of seeing if resort management could help get a communication to the owners of the weeks is an idea. I just wonder how likely it is that they would be willing to assist, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

@TXTortoise - thanks for the broker suggestion too; I've considered it, but not done that yet. It's good to hear of someone else's success in doing this and that it was the broker that ultimately was the key in your experience. I have also been watching the rental postings at the Monarch owners website, here, and at Redweek. :)

Last edited:

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I wanted to see if that week was already in the Trust. I have a spreadsheet that I compiled circa 2016 of all weeks in the Trust -- I didn't recreate it so I can't share it on TUG and I don't really advertise that I have it for that same reason.

The Week 16 or 19 are not in the Trust (at least as of several years ago) and I think it's unlikely that they were added. Unit 3821/week 14 is the closest week in there (but they do have week 52). I will keep an eye out, but it is a needle in the haystack search to find that owner.

If you post on TUG and ask a TUGger to leave a note for the owner if they are onsite, I bet a TUGger would do it for you....

Good luck and I hope you get your week!

Best,

Greg

This is awesome Greg!! Thank you so much for the info!!

Will do as to posting a request to see if a TUGger can leave a note for me next year. :) lol. Wish I'd started asking these questions before our 2019 weeks!!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is awesome Greg!! Thank you so much for the info!!

Will do as to posting a request to see if a TUGger can leave a note for me next year. :) lol. Wish I'd started asking these questions before our 2019 weeks!!
You're welcome -- and credit for the spreadsheet goes to @dioxide45 for creating it -- it's was an amazing undertaking. I hope you get your week!

Best,

Greg

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

It may be easier to go into the Monarch owners group and find an owner selling two consecutive fixed weeks in the time frame you are looking for. If successful, you could then sell your week off.

Just a thought and suggestion to get to the piece of cheese.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Dean - can you give me a bit more explanation of "you'd also fall down to the priority of your lowest unit reservation"? I know that owners or a guest (renter, etc.) of an owner are always going to take priority in their owned week & unit, potentially forcing a move if you are occupying the unit for additional time in another manner. Is that what you mean? That if we extended our time in another way and requested not to move, that we potentially would not occupy our own unit for any portion of the stay? Your thought of seeing if resort management could help get a communication to the owners of the weeks is an idea. I just wonder how likely it is that they would be willing to assist, but it doesn't hurt to ask.:)
You will get the unit type of the reservation and for a fixed week option NORMALLY the actual unit. Say for Monarch you have a week you owned fixed unit and an exchange and wanted not to move. That might be tough in some cases or impossible in others, esp if you wanted to stay in your unit. Say you told them your main goal was not to move units, the likelihood is that you'd not be in your unit but in a potentially worse unit. The fixed week option makes it very difficult to accommodate staying in the same unit, esp since most resorts have gotten hard line about giving exchangers what they exchange for EXACTLY.

The principle is better understood at floating week resorts. We have 10 units at Grande Ocean coming up, 4 OF/6 OS, 7 owned/3 DC points. Our request to be in the same building. We've done this a number of times and always been able to be in the same building but exchanges and DC points reservations have always been on the first or second floor. If we had consecutive weeks in an OS or OF and both reservations were for one or the other (not one of each) and wanted not to move we'd have to take lower floor for the owned week as well in all likelihood.

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome -- and credit for the spreadsheet goes to @dioxide45 for creating it -- it's was an amazing undertaking. I hope you get your week!

Best,

Greg

Thanks to you both - @dioxide45 for the compilation and to you for sharing the info. with me!!

@dioxide45 - I'd be interested in doing the legwork to update you with information for the subsequent years if you could point me in the direction for the easiest way to do so. :) Obviously I'm most interested in the Monarch transfers, but as long as I'm doing it I'd be happy to provide the info for other Marriott resorts as well.

@GregT - am I understanding your comment correctly? That week #14 and #52 are the only weeks in unit #3821 at Monarch that had been transferred to the DC trust as of 2016? If so, that seems like a large testament to me of just how much Monarch owners like the fixed weeks! Don't get me wrong as we love our unit - it's perfect for what we like, but I wouldn't expect that it would be considered to be one of the higher demand units; as I'd expect that most people prefer a higher floor w/ view of a larger expanse of ocean/beach, and a view of the pool.

Somewhat off topic, but it's a related question to our desire to purchase an additional week(s) - is there a definitive answer to what happens when the sunset clause at Monarch becomes effective? I'd have to look again - I believe it's in the 2040 range, so it's not a huge issue at this point, but certainly will impact the future generation more than it does me. I have read a few threads here about the issue, but I haven't come away with a clear understanding of what the BOD needs to do, or what will happen if they do nothing. Primarily just for informational purposes we attended a sales presentation when we were at Monarch this year (my Dad had never done so, at least not since the DC came into existence, and he wanted a a more complete set of information to help plan for the future; we didn't enroll as it doesn't seem to add anything that is of value for my family). I asked about the sunset clause during that presentation as it pertained to any points we would receive for our weeks if we were to enroll the weeks in the DC, and the salesman indicated that our weeks will simply become floating weeks at the time of sunset. I have a hard time believing that, but just wondered if there are any thoughts about it or a more definitive answer that I haven't come across yet.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the search suggestions and information that has been provided!

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will get the unit type of the reservation and for a fixed week option NORMALLY the actual unit. Say for Monarch you have a week you owned fixed unit and an exchange and wanted not to move. That might be tough in some cases or impossible in others, esp if you wanted to stay in your unit. Say you told them your main goal was not to move units, the likelihood is that you'd not be in your unit but in a potentially worse unit. The fixed week option makes it very difficult to accommodate staying in the same unit, esp since most resorts have gotten hard line about giving exchangers what they exchange for EXACTLY.

The principle is better understood at floating week resorts. We have 10 units at Grande Ocean coming up, 4 OF/6 OS, 7 owned/3 DC points. Our request to be in the same building. We've done this a number of times and always been able to be in the same building but exchanges and DC points reservations have always been on the first or second floor. If we had consecutive weeks in an OS or OF and both reservations were for one or the other (not one of each) and wanted not to move we'd have to take lower floor for the owned week as well in all likelihood.

Thank you Dean! The floating week example does help. :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you both - @dioxide45 for the compilation and to you for sharing the info. with me!!

@dioxide45 - I'd be interested in doing the legwork to update you with information for the subsequent years if you could point me in the direction for the easiest way to do so. :) Obviously I'm most interested in the Monarch transfers, but as long as I'm doing it I'd be happy to provide the info for other Marriott resorts as well.

@GregT - am I understanding your comment correctly? That week #14 and #52 are the only weeks in unit #3821 at Monarch that had been transferred to the DC trust as of 2016? If so, that seems like a large testament to me of just how much Monarch owners like the fixed weeks! Don't get me wrong as we love our unit - it's perfect for what we like, but I wouldn't expect that it would be considered to be one of the higher demand units; as I'd expect that most people prefer a higher floor w/ view of a larger expanse of ocean/beach, and a view of the pool.

Somewhat off topic, but it's a related question to our desire to purchase an additional week(s) - is there a definitive answer to what happens when the sunset clause at Monarch becomes effective? I'd have to look again - I believe it's in the 2040 range, so it's not a huge issue at this point, but certainly will impact the future generation more than it does me. I have read a few threads here about the issue, but I haven't come away with a clear understanding of what the BOD needs to do, or what will happen if they do nothing. Primarily just for informational purposes we attended a sales presentation when we were at Monarch this year (my Dad had never done so, at least not since the DC came into existence, and he wanted a a more complete set of information to help plan for the future; we didn't enroll as it doesn't seem to add anything that is of value for my family). I asked about the sunset clause during that presentation as it pertained to any points we would receive for our weeks if we were to enroll the weeks in the DC, and the salesman indicated that our weeks will simply become floating weeks at the time of sunset. I have a hard time believing that, but just wondered if there are any thoughts about it or a more definitive answer that I haven't come across yet.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the search suggestions and information that has been provided!
I'd email Marriott the question about the sunset. That way you'll have a definite answer you can refer to later if needed. I would not rely on a salesperson or even an advisor for this information. This is a higher level question. Ultimately the POS should address the issue and that should be the standard to answer the question.

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd email Marriott the question about the sunset. That way you'll have a definite answer you can refer to later if needed. I would not rely on a salesperson or even an advisor for this information. This is a higher level question. Ultimately the POS should address the issue and that should be the standard to answer the question.

Makes sense - I will see what I can get from Marriott.

Thanks for your thoughts on it!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Good morning,

There were about 10 weeks in the Trust for 3821, week 14 was the closest. I just referenced week 52 because it’s a special week. Good luck with your search!

Best,

Greg

hme83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

There were about 10 weeks in the Trust for 3821, week 14 was the closest. I just referenced week 52 because it’s a special week. Good luck with your search!

Best,

Greg

Thanks for the clarification!

Lol. I did notice that about week 52 in looking at the Monarch weeks calendar. I guess it's because the calendar at Monarch (and I think it's the same at some of the other HH resorts as well) is a week off; for Monarch the "Winter Preferred" weeks aren't typically the Christmas & New Years holiday weeks, which more often than not fall in the Monarch's "Value" season. At first I thought "huh - I'm surprised someone would have turned the New Year's week over to the trust", then noticed that it typically isn't the New Year's week.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification!

Lol. I did notice that about week 52 in looking at the Monarch weeks calendar. I guess it's because the calendar at Monarch (and I think it's the same at some of the other HH resorts as well) is a week off; for Monarch the "Winter Preferred" weeks aren't typically the Christmas & New Years holiday weeks, which more often than not fall in the Monarch's "Value" season. At first I thought "huh - I'm surprised someone would have turned the New Year's week over to the trust", then noticed that it typically isn't the New Year's week.
All of Sea Pines is a week off, I know this was an issue with Spicebush, Swallowtail and the Saturday Villas as well.